New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    That's basically it. Mostly bounce spells, but also that "animated Go-Pharaoh's Statue + Helm of the Host" combo I mentioned earlier. While it isn't really "control-ish" like the bounce spells themselves are, I have 4 copies of Eyes Everywhere and will often trade them to my opponent then bounce them back into my hand to do it all over again.

Like I said, it's only sort of Control.Historic.
    I feel the term you’re looking for is tempo, probably tempo-combo.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I feel the term you’re looking for is tempo, probably tempo-combo.
    That sounds accurate...

EDIT: It is indeed accurate.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-10-13 at 10:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

General question, what qualifies as a creature-focused deck?

I've made 4 decks, all medium power of 4-6. Even though I feel they are diverse (Rakdos, Ezuri, Kambal, Pramikon), the main wincon in 3/4 is through combat damage. I wouldn't feel bad except I've read Competitive threads that tell me combat-step dmg is the definition of an casual deck, and a lot of top tier decks can have less than 5 creatures which seems crazy to me.

The decks are all different (Rakdos cheats creatures, Ezuri is +1/+1s , and Pramikon is control/fliers) but they all rely on creatures to win. Is that inherently amateur, or is that comment mostly in regards to stompy/goodstuff decks?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

In my experience, if your deck is 'focused' around something, you need at least 20-30 cards that qualify.

You almost certainly run about 45-55 Mana sources in almost every deck. If you factor in that you probably need at least 5 removal, 5 wipes, and 10 sources of card advantage that leaves very little that isn't your focus. So that leaves about the rest of your deck as your focus.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karnitis View Post

I've made 4 decks, all medium power of 4-6. Even though I feel they are diverse (Rakdos, Ezuri, Kambal, Pramikon), the main wincon in 3/4 is through combat damage. I wouldn't feel bad except I've read Competitive threads that tell me combat-step dmg is the definition of an casual deck, and a lot of top tier decks can have less than 5 creatures which seems crazy to me.

The decks are all different (Rakdos cheats creatures, Ezuri is +1/+1s , and Pramikon is control/fliers) but they all rely on creatures to win. Is that inherently amateur, or is that comment mostly in regards to stompy/goodstuff decks?
    Creature-based damage is fine in 1v1 games, but much harder to pull off in multiplayer. You end up dividing the same number of creatures by more players, and they're all throwing around board wipes. In multiplayer EDH, combo win conditions are the best because they typically let you kill everyone else at the same time. That being said, a combo finisher can totally end up killing three people with combat phase damage if it pumps an absurd number of tokens into play or takes infinite combat phases or something.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karnitis View Post

Be aware that very few people actually play competitive EDH, most people play casual EDH, so unlike most other formats you shouldn't build to be competitive.
    The thing to keep in mind is that you need to deal 40 damage to three players instead of 20 damage to one player. This means you shouldn't be playing big dumb creatures, because very few big dumb creatures are actually big and dumb enough. Play value creatures, or fill the board with tokens. Something like Avenger of Zendikar can win on its own, stuff like Craterhoof Behemoth can kill quickly too. Look for those kind of effects.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #457
    Firbolg in the Playground

My best EDH deck is a deck that wins through combat damage. Sometimes.

The threat of stealing an early win through Commander damage with Doran and equipment lets me develop a boardstate that becomes reminiscent of Modern Jund—force a topdeck war that you can't lose.

(Usually obtained, for me, via a combination of tutored creatures. One creature tutor grabs Eternal Witness, who recycles the tutor and then fetch Knight of the Reliquary, who brings out Phyrexian Tower and Volrath's Stronghold for always having an E-Witness in a safe board state. Between reusable tutors, Crucible of Worlds, Buried Ruin, and other value creatures to constantly cycle like Yosei, and recyclers like Genesis, it's an incredibly redundant engine with multiple win-cons and ways to reassemble a winning board. This redundant late-game engine lets me focus my deck on interaction and creature pressure.)

A good litmus test of whether or not you're creature focused to the extent where it's strictly casual—

Can you win through a pillow fort without relying on Austere Command/Merciless Eviction/Cyclonic Rift? If so, you're good. Otherwise, you're a bit too creature-focused.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #458
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

So, I thought this is one of the better places to check if there would be enough people interested in a revival of Vanishing 3 Card Blind. I've checked with TiaC (the original thread starter for the game in oots) and they're okay with me starting up another thread. Looking towards having a rotating judge every 5 or so to spread the load a bit and allow everyone to play.

Other Information:
    Old thread
    Second old Thread
    Example of Play

Feel free to see if you can get anyone else interested. I'll probably start it if we can get 7 or more to begin with - it can run with less but if we only start with that many and people drop off, the thread will die real quick. If you have any suggestions for where to post this to get some more people, let me know.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

I might be up for it. Are we starting over?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #460
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

If most of the people interested wanted to stay over, I'd be okay with that but I'd be cautious because, even with meta decisions, a lot of the good early decks would have a link to them and it might just rehash the early rounds. I was thinking that for two rounds of every 5, the winner could choose a single card to unban (and it can only be unbanned once) to throw in some of the earlier cards.

Although some of the early rounds might change up more without vanguard avatars (except for maybe a special round).
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-10-19 at 09:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Does people here play Oathbreaker or do they think its a dead format?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I have two Oathbreaker decks but rarely play anymore, mostly since the only friend I have that plays it plays Narset Stax.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Wizard at 1st level

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Who's to say a Fortune 500 won't serve McDonald's?
    Campaigns I'm running:
    Carrion Crown (IC|OOC)

Campaigns I'm playing in:
    None right now!

13. - Top - End - #463
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Of the stores I frequent, there are Oathbreaker nights. I built a deck, am brewing another one, but haven't had the chance to try them in the field.

It's still a niche format, but I don't think it's dead.

Speaking of which ... has the brawl precons brought brawl back, or did everyone just buy the decks to make new EDH decks like I did?

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tom the Mime View Post
    If most of the people interested wanted to stay over, I'd be okay with that but I'd be cautious because, even with meta decisions, a lot of the good early decks would have a link to them and it might just rehash the early rounds. I was thinking that for two rounds of every 5, the winner could choose a single card to unban (and it can only be unbanned once) to throw in some of the earlier cards.

Although some of the early rounds might change up more without vanguard avatars (except for maybe a special round).
    I'd very much prefer to start over, everything else feels wrong after all this time.
    I'd be strongly in favor of no vanguard avatars/planes.
    I'm not sure how I feel about unbanning cards.

Are we still saying that storage lands can't be banned?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Are we still saying that storage lands can't be banned?
    I do not see storage lands as being very useful outside of proliferation decks.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd prefer to see ban lists grow organically, personally. Even if it's busted it'll only win once. Anyway I'd be interested and would prefer starting over.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I do not see storage lands as being very useful outside of proliferation decks.
    They allow people to actually play cards that cost more than one mana as the banlist grows.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Ok, Oathbreaker question again:

Does a swarm aggro deck work in Oathbreaker from your experience?

I made a suck a deck myself and I was wondering if it works. Was planning to shut down the other decks this way...

Seemed like a good option against Narset deck... I was planning a Nissa, Steward of Elements with Invigorate, with lots of small drop, especially fliers and unblokable infects

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

They allow people to actually play cards that cost more than one mana as the banlist grows.
    This is true, as mana sources get banned out they might become valuable, but on the other hand they're extremely vulnerable to disruption. I can see them working in some cases, but it'll take a while to get there.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    This is true, as mana sources get banned out they might become valuable, but on the other hand they're extremely vulnerable to disruption. I can see them working in some cases, but it'll take a while to get there.
    20 or so rounds last time before they were somewhat competitive even if they weren't at the top, and that was with specific cards with flashback to get around the discard (easy land destruction was gone by that stage).

Edit: A thread is up if people are interested.
    Last edited by Tom the Mime; 2019-10-20 at 09:17 PM.
    Being a mime means never having to say you're sorry.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    The point isn't that they are amazing, but that they allow you a ton more options just by always being legal.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

So you mean that literally all the other lands will be banned and that people will have to do with only opal mox?
    Or do people play with so many permanent destroyers that the table is cleared at the end of each turn(and that somehow the players can protect their storage lands)?
    Last edited by noob; 2019-10-21 at 02:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

So you mean that literally all the other lands will be banned and that people will have to do with only opal mox?
    Or do people play with so many permanent destroyers that the table is cleared at the end of each turn?
    In three card blind your entire deck is three cards which you start with on your hand.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

In three card blind your entire deck is three cards which you start with on your hand.
    So it would allow a deck like "mountain + 2 2/2 goblins"(the legendary one and a goblin guide).
    Last edited by noob; 2019-10-21 at 04:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

So it would allow a deck like "mountain + 2 2/2 goblins"(the legendary one and a goblin guide).
    Yes, exactly.

But with the storage lands you can also make decks that play more expensive cards even after fast mana has been banned.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, exactly.

But with the storage lands you can also make decks that play more expensive cards even after fast mana has been banned.
    So would "Kharn card fetcher(that can fetch from out of the game) + storage land + 0 cost wall" work correctly?
    It seems it would take a bunch of attacks from the 2 goblin deck until it can fetch a second wall then it would be guaranteed victory.
    Can I see more decks based on storage lands that works fine against the double goblin deck?
    Last edited by noob; 2019-10-21 at 04:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

So, a new format just got announced: Pioneer. Return to Ravnica onwards, with only fetchlands on the starting banlist. This is gonna be interesting: Sphinx's Revelation, Thoughtsieze, Dig through Time and Treasure Cruise, Siege Rhino, Gideon Ally, Emrakul, copycat combo, Energy, Smugglers Copter, Hazoret and Ramunap, Teferi, and then everything we've got in Standard, Oko and Field of the Dead top among them. Quite interested to see how this goes.

Also, Field banned in standard, I welcome my new Oko overlords
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2019-10-21 at 04:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ding Dong the Field is Dead!

Sheesh though who else thinks Oko's gonna be banned next set?
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Pioneer actually looks surprisingly good.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm more surprised that Oko Thief of Crowns (who am I kidding, nobody cares about 6 mana Oko) got through playtesting. The Field of the Dead problem was due to all the other cards that supported it (Golos, land searchers in general), while Oko ToC is just strong on his own.

He can drop on turn 2 with 6 loyalty. He can steal small creatures and nerf big ones, or just ones that depend on card text. He can even turn his own food tokens into elk if the game goes long. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of his abilities; it's just his numbers that are out of whack. Pick one: mana cost, starting loyalty, loyalty cost of abilities.

The only thing he doesn't work well against is a creature that stacks +1/+1 counters. Elking such a creature will likely increase their stats; I've had this happen to me before.

We'll see how the meta reacts though.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.