The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I would remove Vildin-Pack Outcast, seven mana is enough that you have to play more mana that you often would and you probably can't activate it through one land destruction spell. Ravager Wurm feels similarly out of place in a cube where everything else is 4 mana or less.
    I think these cards would all be better in its place:
    Harbinger of the Hunt
    Blitz Hellion (actually quite cool for this format)
    Regisaur Alpha
    Ulrich of the KrallenHorde.

I would add Channeler Initiate as it is both a mana dork and a beater.
    If blue black has zombies as a theme then why isn't Cemetery Reaper in here?

Rapid Rehybridization feels really bad in this cube.
    Dreamstalker seems bad, am I missing something?
    Convincing Mirage is a terrible card.
    If zombies is a theme why is Gutterbones in here instead of Gravecrawler?
    I'm not sold on Mob in this.
    Whipflare should be Pyroclasm.
    I'd replace Skin Invasion with something else.
    Talons of Wildwood is really week without any enchantment synergy.
    Enigma Drake seems to be too small too much of the time.

Steel Leaf Champion is too difficult to cast in this cube.
    Vilden-Pack Outcast is a payoff card for the ramp deck but is definitely on the weak side. It's been on the chopping block for a while. The idea was that there are payoff cards that the ramp deck can pick up that the other decks probably wouldn't be able to cast, so they're more likely to wheel to the player picking up the dorks; that's why they're so expensive. Ravager Wurm has been pretty decent since it usually eats something and then presents a solid threat, but the outcast is probably getting cut next rotation.
    It's been last or second to last pick a lot, and hasn't made the cuts in most of the decks it's been drafted in. Blitz Hellion is radical and would be perfect for the format, so I'm going to try to track down a copy.

I actually have a copy of Channler Initiate in my maybeboard for the cube! It's been tough finding space for things since the cube is so small; the maybeboard is literally bigger than the cube. Too much cool stuff, not enough space.

Zombies has Havengul Runebinder instead of Cemetary Reaper, and also has Diregraf Captain. I'm leery of adding a third lord because the deck is already quite strong but I could see the argument being made for redundancy. On a related note, Gravecrawler isn't in the cube because I don't own a copy and have tried to not intentionally spend money on the cube, but I have been trying to trade for one.

Hybridization is in the cube because I wanted to include cards where the drawback is weighted differently due to the format. It's valuable as a 1 mana answer to any creature, but a number of the creatures you want to kill are dangerous for utility, not size, meaning you have to accept the fact that you now have a 3/3 beater to deal with.

Dreamstalker has a FAT butt for 2 mana. It's a card that the slower decks might want to clog the ground until they can stabilize, and it can be used to reset ETB effects or clear away pacifism-type effects.

I think you're sleeping on Mirage! Even though you don't get to draw like with Spreading Seas, it lets you guaranteed hose a greedy mana base and it cripples the Karoo lands, which are very powerful. I'll concede that it's much more of a sideboard card than Seas because without the cantrip you need to be playing it because you really want the effect, but strong sideboard options are good because changing cards is a much larger percentage change than in other formats and you're much more likely to draw them.

Mob has been decent; I'd like to play with it more before I make a final decision.

Whipflare/Pyroclasm is pretty much the same because the only creature that Pyroclasm would kill that Whipflare doesn't is Lore Seeker. Also, set foil!

Skin Invasion was a choice to try to give red a way to force utility creatures into combat and receive a one mana 3/4 as a reward, but in practice it's been pretty lackluster. I'm open to suggestions for replacements on this one.

Talons of Wildwood is certainly no Rancor, but it gives trample, which is huge for the decks that want to play big creatures-there are a LOT of ways to gum up the board in this format, so it gives a way to punch through tokens and mother of runes and stuff. Also of note is that unless it gets exiled, it will always come back, so if you have the mana you're guaranteed value out of it.

Drake *has* been kind of unexciting, but sometimes all you need is a three mana 3/4. It could probably be something more punchy though.

Steel Leaf is highly color restrictive, so it's more of a build-around card if you find it early. And boy, is it worth it; monogreen is a deck you can draft and this card is a terror to see on turn 2 if curved out of a dork. Also, it's still fine to splash a second color due to the Karoos and due to how likely you are to draw your splash land.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #632
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

I need opinions on the following idea. I want to play as Not-Oko in my upcoming Pathfinder Kingmaker PbP campaign. I don't want to overdo the joke but I feel a Sylvan Sorcerer (basically a Fey sorcerer with an elk companion) is incredibly flavorful. Of course my spell selection would focus on creating food, polymorphing my enemies and friends (as well as summoning more animals/various elks). I don't want the personality of Oko to overtake my character however but I want to genuinely RP a chaotic trickster faerie.

Do you think the idea of "fey with elk companion" is a tired joke that gets old? I consider myself a rather "Vorthos"-esque player that enjoys decks that works on a subtheme of the expansion in question that could feasably be used to tell a story, such as Dimir Midrange Surveil or pre-rotation Discover Golgari Midrange. (The idea of getting so much psychic energy that you can unshackle the Thoughtbound Phantasms from their host bodies and buff the Spy Bugs/cooperate with Doom Whisperers in turn for your life force (pay life to surveil is so awesome.) So I enjoy a deck or legendary creature purely for flavor reasons. Similarly I enjoyed the premade brawl decks because they all heavily play with the ideas of the commanders (Chulane telling stories of monsters, Korvold eating entire feasts, tokens and even lands or Alela attracting tiny Faeries with shiny objects). But in the same lane I don't want to overburden my DM with potentially arcane jokes about food, elks and stupid sexy planeswalkers.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duos View Post
    I actually have a copy of Channler Initiate in my maybeboard for the cube! It's been tough finding space for things since the cube is so small; the maybeboard is literally bigger than the cube. Too much cool stuff, not enough space.
    I would cut Joiner Adept for it.

Zombies has Havengul Runebinder instead of Cemetary Reaper, and also has Diregraf Captain. I'm leery of adding a third lord because the deck is already quite strong but I could see the argument being made for redundancy. On a related note, Gravecrawler isn't in the cube because I don't own a copy and have tried to not intentionally spend money on the cube, but I have been trying to trade for one.
    The cube has literally two synergy cards for zombies. That's not an archetype.
    And return from extinction I guess.

Dreamstalker has a FAT butt for 2 mana. It's a card that the slower decks might want to clog the ground until they can stabilize, and it can be used to reset ETB effects or clear away pacifism-type effects.
    That just seems bad. If you want a butt there are way better cards, and if you want a blink there are way better cards.

I think you're sleeping on Mirage! Even though you don't get to draw like with Spreading Seas, it lets you guaranteed hose a greedy mana base and it cripples the Karoo lands, which are very powerful. I'll concede that it's much more of a sideboard card than Seas because without the cantrip you need to be playing it because you really want the effect, but strong sideboard options are good because changing cards is a much larger percentage change than in other formats and you're much more likely to draw them.
    That's not the kind of card I would want in this type of cube.

Mob has been decent; I'd like to play with it more before I make a final decision.
    I think I would have murderous cut instead.

Whipflare/Pyroclasm is pretty much the same because the only creature that Pyroclasm would kill that Whipflare doesn't is Lore Seeker. Also, set foil!
    The problem is cubes need to be intuitive. When people read the nonartifact text on Whipflare they think it's relevant.

Talons of Wildwood is certainly no Rancor, but it gives trample, which is huge for the decks that want to play big creatures-there are a LOT of ways to gum up the board in this format, so it gives a way to punch through tokens and mother of runes and stuff. Also of note is that unless it gets exiled, it will always come back, so if you have the mana you're guaranteed value out of it.
    It still seems really weak. There has to be better trample enablers around.
    If you had aura synergy I can see it being good enough.

Drake *has* been kind of unexciting, but sometimes all you need is a three mana 3/4. It could probably be something more punchy though.
    A 3/4 that requires you to play two colors, and cries against graveyard hate is pretty terrible though.
    Gelectrode, Frostburn Weird, Izzet Guildmage, all seem better, though Izzet don't have that many cards that would be good in this format.

Steel Leaf is highly color restrictive, so it's more of a build-around card if you find it early. And boy, is it worth it; monogreen is a deck you can draft and this card is a terror to see on turn 2 if curved out of a dork. Also, it's still fine to splash a second color due to the Karoos and due to how likely you are to draw your splash land.
    If you're going to reward people for playing mono you shouldn't be doing it in just one color though.

The archetypes should all have roughly the same level of specificity. Equipment is for instance much harder to do than aggro. Some of the more specific ones also don't have sufficient support.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-11-16 at 04:15 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #634

I would cut Joiner Adept for it.

The cube has literally two synergy cards for zombies. That's not an archetype.
    And return from extinction I guess.

That just seems bad. If you want a butt there are way better cards, and if you want a blink there are way better cards.

That's not the kind of card I would want in this type of cube.

I think I would have murderous cut instead.

The problem is cubes need to be intuitive. When people read the nonartifact text on Whipflare they think it's relevant.

It still seems really weak. There has to be better trample enablers around.
    If you had aura synergy I can see it being good enough.

A 3/4 that requires you to play two colors, and cries against graveyard hate is pretty terrible though.
    Gelectrode, Frostburn Weird, Izzet Guildmage, all seem better, though Izzet don't have that many cards that would be good in this format.

If you're going to reward people for playing mono you shouldn't be doing it in just one color though.

The archetypes should all have roughly the same level of specificity. Equipment is for instance much harder to do than aggro. Some of the more specific ones also don't have sufficient support.
    Joiner seems like a fair cut. It's mostly there to help enable the five color decks like the Hymn of the Wilds, Emissary's Ploy, and Chamber Sentry decks.

Dreamstalker has actually played fairly well, but it *is* a low draft pick...I'll start searching for alternatives.

I think this one is a difference of opinion. I've seen it played to great effect.

Cut is probably better than Mob, but I'll have to track down a copy first.

That's a pretty good point! I should make that swap, then.

It's slow for sure, but it's not bad. There *are* a few other options for that slot; Cartouche of Strength, Ferocity of the Wilds, Mob Mentality, and Nylea all seem alright. But I do want to try to not replace cards with betters cards if it's constnatly creeping the acerage CMC of the cube upwards; I had that problem for a bit and it made the format a little too durdley.

Spellslinger is tough to do on both a money *and* mana budget. It's probably the weakest Izzet card, but I'd be unsure what to put in it's spot. Maybe something like Adeliz?

Supporting all the archetypes equally has been a real challenge. The Equipment archetype in particular is tough since other decks can decide they want the sticks as well and you're left with bad creatures that don't do anything; the most recent change was to add the color equipment from M20. I'm probably going to try to squeeze Embercleave and either Godsend or Mace of the Valiant as the next step to try to curb that issue if the deck continues to under-perform.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

It's slow for sure, but it's not bad. There *are* a few other options for that slot; Cartouche of Strength, Ferocity of the Wilds, Mob Mentality, and Nylea all seem alright. But I do want to try to not replace cards with betters cards if it's constnatly creeping the acerage CMC of the cube upwards; I had that problem for a bit and it made the format a little too durdley.
    Fists of Ironwood costs the same and also supports the tokens archetype.

Spellslinger is tough to do on both a money *and* mana budget. It's probably the weakest Izzet card, but I'd be unsure what to put in it's spot. Maybe something like Adeliz?
    Wizards could work as the Izzet archetype. There is a lot of support, but unfortunately a lot of it draws cards which isn't as good in this.

Supporting all the archetypes equally has been a real challenge. The Equipment archetype in particular is tough since other decks can decide they want the sticks as well and you're left with bad creatures that don't do anything; the most recent change was to add the color equipment from M20. I'm probably going to try to squeeze Embercleave and either Godsend or Mace of the Valiant as the next step to try to curb that issue if the deck continues to under-perform.
    I tried drafting the boros equipment in one of my drafts and it was actually easier than I expected.
    There is too few red cards that support it though. I can see Goblin Graveleer was cut. Champion of the Flame also works. Kazuul's Toll Collector and Valduk, Keeper of the Flame too. I was also surprised by the lack of Kor Duelist.

Aggro is surprisingly poorly supported.
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-11-17 at 05:07 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just gonna stop by to brag about something, then vanish again:

I recently won an Arena match against one of the Arena devs. The one named "OrangeJulius" specifically.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

7. - Top - End - #637

Fists of Ironwood costs the same and also supports the tokens archetype.

Wizards could work as the Izzet archetype. There is a lot of support, but unfortunately a lot of it draws cards which isn't as good in this.

I tried drafting the boros equipment in one of my drafts and it was actually easier than I expected.
    There is too few red cards that support it though. I can see Goblin Graveleer was cut. Champion of the Flame also works. Kazuul's Toll Collector and Valduk, Keeper of the Flame too. I was also surprised by the lack of Kor Duelist.

Aggro is surprisingly poorly supported.

Fists is probably the best bet. Although tokens is already pretty strong. Dragon Fangs might also be interesting if I can squeeze another six drop into that section.

Yeah, it's pretty tricky. Maybe I should do artifacts or something? there's some nice cross-pair synergy with the equipment section.

Gaveleer got cut mostly because it kept dying after a single swing. Champion would probably be much better, although Valduk has been in and out over the past few months, so maybe it's time for him to go back in. Duelist was a little too feast or famine for my liking-either you dropped bonesplitter on it and smashed or it was just a 1/1 with no text.

That's an interesting take! I've found several aggro decks have done well, although maybe I should take a closer look when they don't. What makes you say that?

Also! Some changes have been made, based on recent drafts (and feedback from people, yourself included. Hooray, you helped!):

Spoiler: Changelog
    Show
    Dream Stalker -> Compelling Deterrence
    This change was made to add more zombie support, and because Stalker has in fact been under-performing. Also, it slows down games a bit too much when it does see play.

Vilden-Pack Outcast -> Smoldering Werewolf
    Outcast has been last-picked too many times, and it almost never flips. Smoldering werewolf is cheaper to both cast and transform, so it's more likely both will happen, and it has a useful ETB as well.

Convincing Mirage->Hypnotic Sprite
    This change was made both because fliers could use another card and because Mirage has been slowly sliding down the pick order. Even if the win rate on Mirage has been high, if it's not a FUN card, it needs to come out.

Joiner Adept -> Beastcaller Savant
    Adept has turned out to not be terribly useful-it's supposed to enable some of the neato five-color decks, but is very low impact and has tended to die quickly. Savant does something similar, but it trades additional ramp for restricted use, which I think leads to much more interesting deck building (and is more useful overall),

Skin Invasion -> Fae of Wishes
    Not only was Invasion performing poorly, red was over-represented, while blue was under-represented. Fae is a really cool card and I'm excited to try it out. It should support some of the cool toolbox decks.

Revoke Existence -> Legacy's Allure
    For similar reasons as Skin invasion, I'm removing a white card for a blue card here. Revoke is redundant with several other effects, and so will not be missed terribly. Allure is powerful, but slow, and can be played around by clever players.

Gutterbones -> Gravecrawler
    We finally found a copy, bois!

Also, once again, here's the link, for interested people who have not had a chance to draft this cube: Fifteen Card Highlander
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm digging the changes.

That's an interesting take! I've found several aggro decks have done well, although maybe I should take a closer look when they don't. What makes you say that?
    Diregraf Ghoul, Dread Wanderer and Gravecrawler are the only good 1 drops for the aggro decks in here, and both aggro and zombies fight over them.
    Rigging Runner isn't a one drop since you want to attack with something before playing it.
    Tin Street Dodger and Frenzied Goblin are fine as your third one drop on turn 2, but not very impressive as your first one drop on turn 1.
    The lack of good one drops makes both Stormblood Berserker and Mogg Flunkies that much worse. Wretched Anurid is fine, but not impressive, and again also sought by the zombie deck. Grenzo is good. None of the red three drops are good aggro cards. Bloodfray giant is too expensive and too weak.

Inexpensive red one drops I'd rather to see:
    Stromkirk Noble
    Fanatical Firebrand
    Firedrinker Satyr
    Lightning Berserker
    Legion Loyalist
    Stone Wright
    Zurgo Bellstriker

I guess even something like Goblin Glory Chaser, Monastery Swiftspear, Reckless Waif or Vexing Devil.

Rakdos Cackler also probably belongs in here.

For the two drops I'd prefer:
    Borderland Marauder
    Crimson Muckwader
    Deranged Welp
    Gore-House Chainwalker
    Kari Zev
    Lightning Mauler
    Orcish Hellraiser
    Slavering Nulls
    War-Name Aspirant
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2019-11-26 at 07:30 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Im poking the here to see if people are interested in themed EDH deck...

How much competitive do you like your deck?

Here's a scale:

Competitive (winning in turn 2 to 4): 9-10
    Optimized: 7-8
    Focused: 5-6
    Casual: 3-4
    Jank: 1-2

===================

I have one themed EDH deck that I would evaluate in the focused section (5-6) and I was wondering if others have such decks too here on the GITP forums.

If their is others like me, I was wondering if it would be interesting to try to guess the theme of each others deck by posting a decklist of our decks? Would that kind of game interest people on this forum?

===================

Is there something MTG related that will be released in December by the way?
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-11-29 at 02:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Firbolg in the Playground

How does Soul Seperator on a Clone work?
    What's the P/T of the resulting token?

Am working on a Brudiclad + Helm of the Host deck and these cards will likely eventually interact.
    (ideas for irregular token generation also welcome)

11. - Top - End - #641
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    How does Soul Seperator on a Clone work?
    What's the P/T of the resulting token?

Am working on a Brudiclad + Helm of the Host deck and these cards will likely eventually interact.
    (ideas for irregular token generation also welcome)
    I haven't investigated in depth, but I think you get a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except 1/1, also a Spirit, and flying - assuming that you use Clone's ability. If you decline that option, you get a 1/1 flying blue Shapeshifter Spirit.

Either way, the zombie token is 0/0 and immediately dies if you don't have something boosting its toughness.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #642
    Colossus in the Playground

Theros: Beyond Death stuff incoming. Time for some mechanics!

ESCAPE: A keyword, a card (note CARD, it can be on things other than creatures) can escape by exiling a stated amount of cards from the graveyard and paying a cost, typically more expensive. Often comes in with a bonus. Highlight is that Elspeth's card has it.

CONSTELLATION: It's back, and basically the same. Woo. Enchantment creatures back as well obviously.

DEVOTION: It's what you'd expect, but they're playing around with it more. Daxos is real devoted to those white butts.

SAGAS: Hell yeah Sagas are back. They're a perfect fit for Theros both mechanically and flavorfully.

That all aside... Magic Legends, the Magic the Gathering Action MMORPG was announced. Beta sign ups are at PlayMagicLegends.com/beta so go get em!

Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

13. - Top - End - #643

Constellation is on non-enchantment permanents this time round, which is new.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Constellation is on non-enchantment permanents this time round, which is new.
    I had actually not realized it was only on enchantments last go around. Cool, this'll make the as-fan for it way higher and thus it'll feel more enchantmenty a set.

Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.