The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 398
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Or, and hear me out, 100 cents of an Euro to one Euro. Two one-Euro coins to a two-Euro coin. Five one-Euro coins to a five-Euro bill. Two five-Euro bills to a ten-euro bills. Two ten-Euro bills to a twenty-Euro bill. Five ten-Euro bills to a fifty-Euro bill. Two fifty-Euro bills to a one-hundred-Euro bill. And five one-hundred-Euro bills to a five-hundred-Euro bill.

    I know it’s complicated but I’m sure you Brits could pull it off given time and a portable calculator.
    Honestly that sounds only a bit simpler than the American system, our main complexity is a handful of coins that are 1, 5, 10 and 25 cents (no one uses half or silver dollars and if someone tells you that they are a liar), and dimes and quarters are still fairly useful and easy to differ out them in relation to a dollar (screw pennies and nickels).
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Honestly that sounds only a bit simpler than the American system, our main complexity is a handful of coins that are 1, 5, 10 and 25 cents (no one uses half or silver dollars and if someone tells you that they are a liar), and dimes and quarters are still fairly useful and easy to differ out them in relation to a dollar (screw pennies and nickels).
    Cents come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twentys, and fifties.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Cents come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twentys, and fifties.
    Wait a minute; dollars come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twenties, and fifties.

  4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Wait a minute; dollars come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twenties, and fifties.
    And 100s, they also come in hundreds, about as complex as the euro in that department.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    b_jonas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    The Euro is cheating because it's new. It has nice recognizable coins and banknotes because it's new so it doesn't have to be compatible with the previous generation of coins and banknotes. The forint is hard to use the way it is because of backwards compatibility. We used to have nice recognizable coins: the 1 forint and the 2 forint coins had unique small sizes so they were easy to recognize. We don't use them anymore because of inflation, but new coins aren't that small because it would be strange to have the largest valued coins with such a small size, and existing coins can't easily change sizes either because they are long-lived, and it was confusing enough when the 100 and 200 forint coins changed size. We used to have nice recognizable banknotes. The most frequently used banknotes were the small-valued ones: the green 200 forint, the red 500 forint, and the blue 1000 forint notes. But because of inflation, the 200 forint banknote is no longer used, and the 500 forint note is getting rare. So we have one recognizable banknote, and a palette of different shades of brown for the rest, each of which already changed color twice to slowly try to navigate them to a more recognizable set. If the bank keeps up the good work, they might eventually get to a usable set of notes with a hundred more years of gradual changes, and a usable set of coins in two hundred years. The designers of the Euro didn't try for anything nice like that: they decided that everyone has to get used to the new cash in just two months.

    That said, I do wish we had banknotes with different sizes, like the Euro has. That does make them much more recognizable.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2019-09-13 at 04:17 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Wait a minute; dollars come in ones, twos, fives, tens, twenties, and fifties.
    But not coins, right? Anyway I was making fun of the Brits, for a change.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  7. - Top - End - #247
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But not coins, right? Anyway I was making fun of the Brits, for a change.
    I was being amused with the thought that the euro cents mirror the American dollar system, rather than something purely base-10 like I keep hearing about with other units.

  8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I was being amused with the thought that the euro cents mirror the American dollar system, rather than something purely base-10 like I keep hearing about with other units.
    Well it's not part of the metric system, is it? Different challenges mean different solutions. Having just cents "decents" and Euros would be cumbersome as all hell.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  9. - Top - End - #249
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Different challenges mean different solutions. Having just cents "decents" and Euros would be cumbersome as all hell.
    That's about what I say about Imperial units, too. Usually right before someone accuses me of being wrong by virtue of not using the(ir) metric system all the time.

  10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That's about what I say about Imperial units, too. Usually right before someone accuses me of being wrong by virtue of not using the(ir) metric system all the time.
    What is the use of the random stuff in the imperial system (and I’m an American, I use the imperial system by virtue of it being the one I was raised with), I can only remember what’s in a mile on a good day, barely any day can I remember volume, and Fahrenheit is downright bonkers, the metric system in length is 1:10:100:1000 etc, 1:1000 for mass and volume and 0 is freezing 100 is boiling, units of measurement are only useful in numbers, you have to divide and carry physical things for currency (and coincidentally when you are doing stuff online any denominations are completely removed so it is just how many dollars to the specificity of one hundredth of a dollar).
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That's about what I say about Imperial units, too.
    What? You say that they have the exact same use as the metric system unlike currencies, they're just objectively worse at it than the metric system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Usually right before someone accuses me of being wrong by virtue of not using the(ir) metric system all the time.
    Well, you are, aren't you?

    EDIT: I mean what is the point of having your scientists and population use two widely different systems? Just get on with the programm already.

    EDIT 2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    1:1000 for mass and volume
    Centi- deci- deca and hectograms exist but nobody uses them (except centigrams for stuff like medication).
    Centi- deci- deca- and hectolitres, however are often used (except decalitres because nobody ever use decaanything).
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-13 at 05:08 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  12. - Top - End - #252
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That's about what I say about Imperial units, too. Usually right before someone accuses me of being wrong by virtue of not using the(ir) metric system all the time.
    I usually just don't talk about Imperial units, since I don't know anyone who uses them.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I usually just don't talk about Imperial units, since I don't know anyone who uses them.
    They don't use them in Alabama, USA?

    EDIT:
    Spoiler: Just for you
    Show
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-13 at 05:16 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I mean what is the point of having your scientists and population use two widely different systems? Just get on with the programm already.
    It's very interesting how teaspoons and cups and such map so cleanly in proportion to stuff like chicken eggs and pounds of meat...almost like it's a domain-specific set of measurements intended for recipes.

    But that's rather the lesser point. I am capable of converting from one unit to another when it's necessary for the situation (including when someone else needing the measure is more comfortable with different units), and as such it shouldn't matter to anyone else which unit I choose initially.

  15. - Top - End - #255
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They don't use them in Alabama, USA?
    Oh, heavens no. Like the rest of the country, we use U.S. Customary Units. Which are like Imperial units, but like 0.00X% different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: Just for you
    Show
    I knew what that was before I even opened it. Still loved it.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Okay, but how many bees for a quarter?

  17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It's very interesting how teaspoons and cups and such map so cleanly in proportion to stuff like chicken eggs and pounds of meat...almost like it's a domain-specific set of measurements intended for recipes.
    Not sure what your point is there. As far as I can tell these aren't metric nor imperial. They barely qualify as units even.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    But that's rather the lesser point. I am capable of converting from one unit to another when it's necessary for the situation (including when someone else needing the measure is more comfortable with different units), and as such it shouldn't matter to anyone else which unit I choose initially.
    Oh, I don't give a hoot what you do (as long as you don't crash stuff on Mars of course) but one system is objectively better designed (and rooted in universal constants, now*).
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, heavens no. Like the rest of the country, we use U.S. Customary Units. Which are like Imperial units, but like 0.00X% different.
    Wait, thought you didn't like prescriptivism.
    By the way, no-one uses "the metric system" either. We use the International System of Units (S.I.).

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I knew what that was before I even opened it. Still loved it.
    Okay, but did you guess that one?
    Spoiler
    Show

    *Technically so are Imperial units but only because they are defined by the metric units.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  18. - Top - End - #258
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Not sure what your point is there. As far as I can tell these aren't metric nor imperial. They barely qualify as units even.
    Teaspoons and cups are Imperial units of volume, frequently used in the world of cooking.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Teaspoons and cups are Imperial units of volume, frequently used in the world of cooking.
    Seriously? That's hilarious!

    Is "one glass" a unit too?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  20. - Top - End - #260
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Seriously? That's hilarious!

    Is "one glass" a unit too?
    Nope, we do have tablespoons though, and we called two different units of measurement ounces so in volume we have to call it a fluid ounce.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  21. - Top - End - #261
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It's very interesting how teaspoons and cups and such map so cleanly in proportion to stuff like chicken eggs and pounds of meat...almost like it's a domain-specific set of measurements intended for recipes.
    Not sure what your point is there. As far as I can tell these aren't metric nor imperial. They barely qualify as units even.
    Teaspoons and cups are Imperial units of volume, frequently used in the world of cooking.
    Yes. Feet and miles and Fahrenheit are carried forward in no small part by legal/historical reference points. (And by "legal", I mean road speed limits are in miles per hour; that gives a lot of significance to the mile right there)

    Teaspoons/cups/etc., though, do in fact work as a proportional framework for recipes, one that can work with small whole numbers (or clean fractions) of units alongside small whole numbers of chicken eggs (which are a huge pain to deal with in partial measures....).

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh, I don't give a hoot what you do (as long as you don't crash stuff on Mars of course) but one system is objectively better designed (and rooted in universal constants, now*).
    ....
    *Technically so are Imperial units but only because they are defined by the metric units.
    Precisely: Conversion by formulae is exact now. The metric system is an excellent all-purpose system of measures, and conversion to/from domain-specific units can be done whenever their particular specialization would be better/worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Nope, we do have tablespoons though, and we called two different units of measurement ounces so in volume we have to call it a fluid ounce.
    And don't be so Troy about Avoirdupois, either.

  22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ron Miel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Seriously? That's hilarious!

    Is "one glass" a unit too?
    No, but "drop", "smidgen", "pinch" and "dash" are, and they have exact definitions. If a recipe says to add a pinch of salt, you should measure out precisely one sixteenth of a teaspoon. If it says to add a dash of vanilla, then measure out one eighth of a teaspoon.
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2019-09-13 at 06:19 PM.
    .
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

    .

  23. - Top - End - #263
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    No, but "drop", "smidgen", "pinch" and "dash" are, and they have exact definitions. If a recipe says to add a pinch of salt, you should measure out precisely one sixteenth of a teaspoon. If it says to add a dash of vanilla, then measure out one eighth of a teaspoon.
    I guess those are the correct amounts, I just put a small amount of whatever in it.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  24. - Top - End - #264
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait, thought you didn't like prescriptivism.
    I make exceptions when I think it's funny.

    Also SI is a silly system. The kilogram? Come on. Y'all make fun of imperial being whacky with the numbers, but and then turn around and use base units that are 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1, 000 of a thing, and 602,214,076,000,000,000,000,000 of a thing.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I make exceptions when I think it's funny.

    Also SI is a silly system. The kilogram? Come on. Y'all make fun of imperial being whacky with the numbers, but and then turn around and use base units that are 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1 of a thing, 1, 000 of a thing, and 602,214,076,000,000,000,000,000 of a thing.
    602, 214, 076, 000, 000, 000, 000, 000 of anything actually*. The kilogram thing is a naming issue not a unit definition one.

    By the way, the current question is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Find a reference to a city in the USA, that isn't St Louis. Or Mississipi.
    In case anyone is wondering.

    *Seriously, how is mole a real unit?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-09-13 at 06:44 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  26. - Top - End - #266
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    How many farthings in a guinea, again?
    It's...hm. A guinea is about 3 and a half hamsters, so you'd want to convert from farthing to hamster.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  27. - Top - End - #267
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Find a reference to a city in the USA, that isn't St Louis. Or Mississipi.
    Do buffalo wings count; since they're named after Buffalo, New York?

    OQ if so.

  28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ron Miel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Bingo.
    .
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

    .

  29. - Top - End - #269
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    b_jonas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Oh, you're talking about decimal units other than money? Those are even better than the ones for money. We measure car speed in kilometers per hour, power in horsepowers, energy in kilowatt hours, blood pressure in millimeters of mercury but tire pressure in atmospheres, temperature in degrees celsius, engine rotation frequency in one per minute, specific food energy in kilocalories in 100 grams, quantity of certain foods in either liters or kilograms for the same sort of food, etc. And that's not even counting the totally random power of ten modifiers that people use for all units. It's so great to have so many incompatible units but then act snub about the many incompatible units that americans use.

  30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Order of the Stick Trivia XX: Naturally

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Do buffalo wings count; since they're named after Buffalo, New York?

    OQ if so.
    Find me three people (or voices if that's applicable) saying the same exact sentence in the same panel.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •