The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ancient Realms

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Ancient Realms

Waterdeep
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mostly use this City because it sits on top of Undermountain, which I love to use.

1) I'm too lazy (right now) to sit down and figure out every little detail (Rulers, Nobles, Guilds, Criminals, Factions, etc) of a Major Coastal Trade City.

2) There are lots of online information on the blasted place that I can just tell Players to go and look up instead of wasting Game Time explaining it to each player (because there's almost always a late arrival.)
    Once they do that, explaining changes is lots easier. I kept only a few of the Old n/PCs.

Mirt the Moneylender and Unmasked Lord. Durnan the owner of the Yawning Portal.
    Xanathar (Although the current one might get replaced. See Hunting Xanathar here) and his Guild.
    I actually kept the Noble Family from Dragon Heist.
    I'm undecided about "Manshoon".

I don't really like the Seven Sisters, or Elminster (too much Dues Ex Machina), so they are gone. I haven't had anyone actually try and go talk to the Open Lord of Waterdeep (which is still female) so haven't really thought about who and what she is, although i might do that by the end of the month.

3) I love the Masked Lords. Really keeps those Murder-Hobos in check. Never knowing when they are going to attract the attention of at lease one, and more importantly - never knowing who any of them are.

Undermountain

For my games, I have and currently use Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

However, I also have everything I can find on Undermountain from each D&D Edition, and will use things out of those to mix things up

I've changed some of the restrictions that was put in here.

Divination spells only work on the Dungeon Level they are cast on.

Teleportation out of the Dungeon is allowed and fairly easy.
    Returning to where you were last time, is also usually allowed.
    Any kind of transportation magic used to get into the Dungeon (Plane Shift, Teleporting to a destination other than above) can have some rather interesting random outcomes, though.

Minor Transportation effects (Misty Step, Thunderstep, Blink, Dimension Door, and even Etherealness) are usually unaffected, although there is a chance that Halaster will take notice (and mess with it) if used too much. Especially if used to avoid/escape the Challenges he puts up, too often.

Spells that affect the environment or the Dungeon itself are not Permanent, including Walls of Stone, Stone Shape, or Disintegration cast on Dungeon Walls or Doors.

The Portals between Dungeon Levels are still there, but I've also put in stairs between these Levels, so that Players have more choices.

Monsters are usually prevented from traveling between Levels of the Dungeon by Wards, although Humanoids are (usually) not restricted.

Spoiler: Undermountain - Game TBD
    Show

Session One
    V-Human Rogue Thief
    This guy was the one in the group that managed to make a persuasion check good enough to get most of the members of the “Vampire” Gang to convert to his leadership.

New Gang: Yeah, this was not even close to a challenge to a 5th level party.
    As such I’m making one of the Leaders a Vampire Spawn with orders not to make any more Vampires.

I’m taking away the Flesh Golem and making it an Encounter elsewhere.

I need to do more research (and then changes) on Balder's Gate.

The City I normally don't like to use is Neverwinter. Didn't really play the game and few players want to go that far North.

But, I'm actually interested in a City further inland and away from the Coast. Suggestions?

Thoughts on Warrior enhancement
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    Feat
    Power Attack: Subtract Proficiency from attack to deal double that value in damage. Applies to both melee and ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleave
    Fighting Style: Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin and Ranger.

3rd level: Kill a foe and attack another within 5 feet.

6th: No limit to foes attacked, so long as the last was killed.

10th: Take a 5 foot free move while Cleaving foes.

14th: Able to use full movement while Cleaving Foes.[/Spoiler]

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Assuming that failing to charm a general can have negative side effects, but failing to Persuade a general can't, is obviously going to make charm seem useless. But that's not a pair of assumptions that are always going to be accurate.

Again, why are you ignoring the possibility of Things Going Wrong for non-magical plans? I'd argue that the non-dominated general is more vulnerable to Things Going Wrong, because anything which disrupts the premises of the arguments you made to them could ruin your whole deal.

...Add an ability that lets the fighter attack for increased damage? Maybe something like the barbarian's Reckless Attack, where you accept advantage-to-hit for double damage?

Quite probably. Which is why it probably makes more sense to make Cleave a Battlemaster maneuver than an entire fighting style. (Maybe Power Attack, too, if you want it to not overlap with GWM/Sharpshooter.)
    Partly because the effects of failure for the spell are listed in the book, and aren't for a failed Skill Check.

Mostly due to how the OP was started - ie "Martials are greatly overshadowed by casters" - that I put in my comments about how limited a lot of these "Auto Win" spells really are. Or at least, could be.

Most DMs that I've heard about, don't really have too much trouble dealing with mundane Challenges;
    Depending on the DM, and Personality of the General, the odds of said General making their Save and immediately having the Caster and/or Party executed can be a lot higher: where maybe the worst that happens on a failed Diplomacy would be arrest and imprisonment. With Exile next worst, and being given a Quest being maybe the best.

Things Going Wrong
    Is kinda the DM's job.

Now I can't think of every possible thing that the PC/s are going to try, but I can plan for things that are listed in the book (spells) or that are the most likely to be used (Skills).
    And Improve the rest.

Well, with the Fighting Style, I was hoping to help more Classes than just one Class' Subclass.

Maybe keep it a feat? Two at most?

Cleave including knockdown? (Str Save? Or opposed Str Check?)

Cleaving Terror: can Dash (Bonus Action?) so long as Cleaving?
    can even think of some Out of Combat uses for those.

Imagine being in the bar with the Martial having the Cleave feat, being able knock down those people between them and their target (person or the door), and other Party members just following in the cleared path behind them!

Or that Martial getting Cleaving Terror plowing through the crowded market without even slowing down!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    That's not a great reason to fit a square peg in a round mechanic. Maybe find some non-Cleave-line derivative way to boost martial classes?
    No new ideas at this time.

Spoiler: More stuff to ponder
    Show

Yes, the Town Guard not having at least Perception (both spot and listen for 3x) and Insight as skills didn't make much sense to me.

Using Points for Powers seems too much like 3x Psionics.
    Giving ‘casters’ more options, and Lots more for everyone to keep track of.
    The most unbalancing thing there was sacrificing lower level points for extra higher level powers.

IMO 5e is a little more "balanced" than 3.5.

Casters have Less Slots to use, but able to choose from any available spell of that level.
    Upcasting costs a higher level choice. (and does not add any extra higher level spells, see Psionics above.)

Concentration required for more spells. Which Stopped "Super Untouchable" combinations.

For spells: First, ditch Wish.
    That's only available from Powerful beings:
    Noble Genies, Arch-Devils/Dukes, Balor/Demon Lords, Archfey, and maybe Solars.
    (Sure, most Deities can do it, but their 'Price' is usually higher.)
    And no sympathy for those Players unhappy with the creative ways a DM 'screws the Wish up' !!!

If you want to allow Wizards to cast Cleric/Druid spells of 7th level or less with a 9th level spell slot, put in the 9th level Any Spell that the 3x D&D Magic Domain had.

Personally, I’d also switch Plane Shift and Astral Projection.

Have Miracle work like Wish normally does (without the 33% never cast again) in that the caster must be specific about what is asked for, and is still limited to the Portfolio and Domains of their Deity.
    Adding Tome of Battle for non-caster types?
    Without taking actual levels in the respective Classes?
    Maybe.
    I’d really have to have a Playtesting Group to figure this out for 5e.
    I did like the look of these, but sadly never had any players for them.
    Perhaps some 3e/5e combination might work?
    You're going to have to find some Playtesters to really work the kinks out.
    For me running a 3x variant game:
    I’d keep the 5e skill style, instead of tracking each Skill point spent per level.
    Racial, Background (2 skills), and then what is given for the base 5e Class
    (maybe just extra Languages for Int.)

Oh, and just keeping in mind that Dis/Advantage is a five point modifier.
    While I liked 3x for more Class Options (and easier to balance Monsters for ECL/CR calculations), 5e just flows better for actual play for me.
    (The 20th level Fighter getting up to Eight attacks at +11 to hit each - without magic, plus Subclass options - really helps “balance” this class more.)

Flexible DMs can help with the non-combat stuff for martials.
    With fewer 3x D&D (non-Pathfinder) dedicated players and lots more 5e players, I have been converting some of the 3x Classes (some better balanced than others - Factotum = ARG!!) into 5e, most as Subclasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie
    <snip> And that was a serious problem -- playing a magic user with all the constraints (that existed to make them balanced with everyone else) turned on was often seen as systematically unfun. That's the why for it moving away from that model in subsequent editions, but they never really constrained the power at the same rate as they eliminated constraints.
    IDK, 5e seems a lot more "Balanced" than all the other versions of D&D.

As I mentioned somewhere: Fewer Spell Slots per Spell Level, plus breaking up Known Spells between all Spell Levels (or a set value for maximum): plus Concentration on a lot of really useful/powerful spells.

Still want to add a little more OSR?
    All spell components are consumed, and the DM determines what spells can be cast with a Focus.
    Mostly an Accounting Tax, but not having the correct component for the spell you want when you need it is a great drawback, for 'balencing'.

I rarely have very many problems with Casters in my games, regardless of System/Edition.

First, foes aren't stupid.
    Even basic Animals show amazing adaptability IRL.
    Good Wis means that they learn fast, after a mistake is made. Int 6+ means maybe before the mistake is even made.

Next, sentient Races (usually Humanoid, but exceptions do exist) can just as easily be Classed as the PCs. (Figuring out 5e CR for some of these sometimes frustrates me)
    (both Volo's and Mord's have some of these, now)

Finally, put more Spellcasters and magic-using foes in Encountered Groups.
    (For PC groups without any spellcasters, maybe cut them a break, and either remove these foes, or at least lower the Caster level of them. A challenge is quite fine, but overwhelming firepower is just - to me - a killjoy.)

Also, I tend to use more items with non-renewing Charges.
    Especially Wands and Staves.
    For those items that do recharge daily, increase the Rarity by one level.
    Remember that Legendary Items are not casual treasure, and are not for sale.

Note: I also predetermine Treasure (especially magical) and have smart foes use these against the PCs.
    Earn that +2 flaming sword!
    Or Wand of Fireballs (8d6 damage, DC 15) with 20 charges!!
    Especially when used against you! Much shenanigans!

*one of many, another being not being able to choose what spells you got, and a tasty spell was as likely to come along for you as the fancy sword was for the fighter
    Yep, those scrolls (spellbooks were always in the Rare+ category) were indeed randomly determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Well, one third thing is the treasure table. Somewhere along the way gamers (or at least forum-goers) decided that 'but fighters can use magic swords, which often have as much power as wizards' was not an acceptable answer to the fighter-mu split, but there's no specific reason it can't be. Of course, that depends on whether you are trying to balance magic with non-magic (which I think is genuinely futile, as 'gets to break the rules' is going to almost inherently be more powerful than 'has to work within the rules'), or just casters with non-casters (which is doable, and plenty of systems have).
    Lots of those anti-mage players didn't like magical weapons (or other items) because they were made by some Caster, which made them think that this caused said casters to have more power over their characters, or get additional bonuses. See Crafters, below.

<snip> (you do start over at level 1 every time you die, right? Riiiight?)
    So, anyone got your back with a (pre)Paid-For Rez type spell (scroll)?

If not: While I won't make you start over at 1st level, I might say that the replacement PC is one level less than the Party. (Heh)

Spoiler: Magic Crafters
    Show
    Frankly, I find Magic Item Creation Casters incredibly boring.
    (Non-magic, too. I came to play a tRPG, not a version of Minecraft!!)

Sure, the quick one-time-use useful item (Common, or Uncommon) - or a +1 weapon that lasts maybe a month - for maybe a week of downtime and some gold spent, and a roll on the random “Mishaps” chart in XgE. Done.

But, seriously, anything magical that either lasts longer - or is more potent - really takes too long; and an Adventuring Caster is not going to like sitting on their tush for really Long Periods of Time making magical stuff while everyone else is out having fun (and gaining Levels and lots more Loot) without them.

Really, the only time that you would want to play a Crafter, is in a Low Magic World.
    In which case - Accept the loss of EXP and GP, and play another PC so your not sitting there bored during the game.

Can you expand upon this? What's the problem with Factotums? They are one of my favorite late-3e classes (for playing in the tier 3-4 power balance that they clearly were trying to normalize at that point). What problems are you having?
    Sadly, when I tried doing this Class, like at least two other members decided to make their own versions, and mine simply got ignored.

Spoiler: Factotum
    Show
    Now, no one ever tried to play this Class in any of my 3x gaming days.

And in fact, I was unaware of its existence until asked by one of my 5e players.

Looking it up, and reading it over; this class seemed to out-do all the Jack of All Trades Skill Monkeys. Literally able to use Rogue Skills and Divine Powers plus Arcane spell-like abilities, and in a way that the Bard (even in 5e) couldn't really match.

My attempt was Here

It was basically it's own Class - with two Subclasses, gaining and casting spells like a Warlock.

The player that was testing that, said that this just didn't feel like the "Versatile" character to him.

Said he should be able to change spells daily, like a Wizard, to demonstrate that versatility.
    (On top of all the other 'versatile' stuff I had for Factotum)

So I basically had to rewrite it, as a Wizard-type Half Caster, with half level + Int in Spells Known up to 5th level, and that still gets Spell Secrets like a Warlock for spells over 5th; Taking away Bard Spell choices (too many healing options) and also not allowing 9th level spells. Secrets unlocks some Bard spells, but no Cleric-specific spells.
    Mostly Healing, Restoration, Resurrection, and similar.

One thing he might not have realized (yet) is that the Factotum starts out with only 2 + Int Spells known, and while they do gain Slots for higher Level spells, they are required to find these on their own.
    This means that his spellbook has very few spells to choose from.

We haven't returned to the game where this Class was being tested (they wanted to make Characters to take on Xanathar, so we're doing that for a bit - and now doing my Star Wars game towards the end of each Month, with one other GM running another tRPG on the first week of each Month) so not sure how soon playtesting will resume.

If anyone is interested in trying to help me figure out how to finish this idea, please let me know - and I'll (legally) Necro the thread. I'd have to find where I made the notes on the changes, again.
    Spoiler: More stuff to ponder
    Show

Spoiler: Spellbook
    Show
    Wizard spells in book for 5e:
    Knows maximum of 5 Cantrips;
    4d10 max damage at +11 to hit or DC 19 save.

(01) 6 first Level spells
    (02) +2 first level spells = 8 first Level spells
    (03) 2 second Level spells
    (04) +2 second Lv spells
    (05) 2 third Level spells
    (06) +2 third Level spells
    (07) 2 fourth Level spells
    (08) +2 fourth Level spells
    (09) 2 fifth Level spells
    (10) +2 fifth Level spells
    (11) 2 sixth Level spells
    (12) +2 sixth Level spells
    (13) 2 seventh Level spells
    (14) +2 seventh Level spells
    (15) 2 eighth Level spells
    (16) +2 eighth Level spells
    (17) 2 ninth Level spells
    (18) +2 ninth Level spells
    (19) +2 any Level spells
    (20) +2 any Level spells

So, at 20th rank Wizard, this break down to 8 spells of first level and Four spells per spell level, plus 4 extra spells (any level) in their Spellbook. Costing 2,000+ gold.

Unless the DM is nice and gives Intelligence modifier to Spellbook per level, in found spells:
    9 spells per level, with 9 random spells.
    Like - at least a 10,000 gold investment.

Spoiler: Ramblings
    Show
    What I'm thinking is that it's not the spell slots that upset people; as always - it's the spells themselves.

People playing Mundane Martials don't like the fact that Casters can do about the same amount of damage they do to a single foe, but to a Group of foes. Never mind that successful Saves can reduce that even more, plus having damage type Resistant and even Immune Monsters.

Also, without those AoEs - the party would quickly be overwhelmed and end in a TPK.

Spoiler: Why
    Show
    do these people hate using Magical Items to grant them access to the things they are complaining about? Fly, Invisibility, etc?

Heck, there are now lots more Half-caster Subclasses available to Martials.
    Even the Barbarian has a couple Subclasses with some really cool magical Abilities, if used correctly.

Ok, sure, maybe being able to Climb the 50 foot Wall at 20th Rank, without Spider Climb, should be allowed.
    But not freely moving about on the ceiling.

If they really want real-life combat simulations, especially without Magic - they should just play World War 1 & 2 and similar Military Wargames or maybe Cyberpunk - or Spymaster (etc), instead of Fantasy/D&D.

Another thing that is usually overlooked during those "Martial vs Mage" debates, is that in each situation, the Player must choose if they need to spend a limited resource on 'insta-solving' it.

Because: Once out of Spell Slots, all Mages are very much screwed. Clerics just don't rely on magical armor to be protected, and can still hit as good as a Martial. Bards have a few things that can be done, once out of Slots, but very limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon
    @Morty:
    Casters Being Binary is actually meant to be a real limit. Spells are not like skills.
    They do one thing, and it either works, or not.

All things you listed are situations where the Player is as Challenged as the Character. Knowing how to use/do stuff without magic can be just as fun as Nuking the Hobgoblin Army.
    Fighters can sac 4 (of 7) feats for Resistance, to get Proficiency in all saves. Which is a roll of 8+ on a d20.

Other Martials could also get all saves, and have one feat to spare, with vHumans having another.
    (Homebrew option)

Maybe I just think in ways that don't always seem right to others?

Now, I have removed Wish from the Mage's list.

Put a limit on how many Simulacrum one Mage can have.

And Genesis (now called Demiplane) is an Epic level power, that is also available to Clerics.
    (Druids can do it, but most prefer to just go to the Feywild)
    Literally making your own Demi-Plane isn't something that should just be readily available to every Mage.

I have other 'solutions' to Mages being OP, as well.

D&D Psionics was its own ball of WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It mistakes tedium and the sell / no-sell arms race for game balance, and where the List of Awesome leaves a hole, it falls back on a List of Symmetrical Completeness.
    I've kinda always believed that there should be more sell / no sell conditions for magic.

But, with actual reasons for why and usable rules for how they work.
    5e Energy Resistance is better then 3x, and Immunity is a flat no sell to the energy type.

Sadly, I don't have anyone near me to work on figuring these things out, and doing it over the net usually doesn't work, without lots of trial and error - and most folks here have things they would rather do.
    Like figure out how to better optimize their latest Broken Character idea...
    Not everyone, but....
    Let me see: Counting the People here, plus Tawmis, Man_Over_Game, Segev, PheonixPhyre and Grod_The_Giant.
    I'd have to go though some of my old posts to find anymore.
    (I'm at least trying)

While I'm a fan of D&D, I do my best to not be closed minded towards other RPGs. Including 4e D&D.
    I just can't get interested in them without people to play them with.
    And I can't really do more then maybe 4 games a week, without mental burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1
    No problem. I was mostly highlighting that "if I reply to you, it does not imply I am contradicting you". This subthread started when you asked why people might still want more flexible martials even if you were nerfing the power of casters. So I described the desire for flexible martials in a manner that was independent of the power/flexibility of casters and also independent from the power of martials (the latter being emphasized by the comments about flexibility =/= power).
    Sorry, i was stuck on comparing your answers against a caster, instead of just against other martials.

And while thinking on how to have someone do something beyond the normal limits is how spells were made, they don't work outside of /magic.

Which is not what is wanted, atm.

As I said earlier, I cannot imagine mechanics for the highest level martials. My imagination has a limit. I can create mechanics for a 10th level Fighter slaughtering an army:
    1) Sweeping attack: Each melee attack hits 3 squares worth of foes. Makes even more sense if your movement can happen between attacks.
    2a) Volley ranged attacks: Shooting a volley of attacks, make a ranged attack at a penalty against each enemy in a 10ft radius.
    2b) Larger ranged attacks: Throwing a large object, make a single ranged attack at a penalty. It targets each enemy in a 10ft radius.

This is difficult but it is flexibility, not power, that martials lack and the player want. Attempts to merely staple on magic/casting solutions (see Tome of Battle) only work for some player. So the alternative is this process of recognizing the limits of imagination and then breaking through them.
    With some of the things from 3x I can imagine #1 of the above.
    But, it requires expenditure of a resource most will complain about: Feats.
    It starts with
    Power Attack. For 5e this would be reduce to hit by Proficiency to deal double that value in damage. (Power boost. Keep going.)

Cleave - drop one foe and attack next within 5 feet.
    (Flexibility?)

Great Cleave - no limit to number of foes dropped within 5 feat.
    (Power + Flexibility?)

Supreme Cleave - as Great, but also 5 foot move, and continue Cleaving until missing or failing to drop a foe.
    (Flexibility?)

Trail of Blood - Cleaving attacks up to full movement speed, so long as dropping foes.
    (Power + Flexibility?)

So, Q (1) would keeping these as feats in 5e be enough to achieve some of the higher level flexibility for martials? That way both fighters and Barbarians have equal access.

Or Q (2) would those be better as things that are added to the base features of one class?
    Most likely Barbarian.

I believe that (1) is closer to the goal.

#2 is what the Ranger's Hail of Thorns spell does.
    Limited to only one class, and therefore not wanted.

#2b can be pushing Believably - even in a Fantasy Game.
    A Halfling even with a 20 str should't be able to pick up a 10' diameter two ton rock and throw it 100 feet. (without serious magic!!)

um, still sympathizing with both authors and sad players.....

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Struck by a thought. Have to write it somewhere:

A way to make a flexible martials without limited resources / spellcasting:
    Start with a variety of basic endeavors: Attack, Movement, ..., ..., etc
    I suggest having the number of endeavors per turn and out of turn increase with level.
    Have a chapter of alterations: Knockback, Power Attack, ..., etc
    Alterations are not feats, you get access to all the ones you satisfy the unlock requirement for. No feats needed here.
    Each option in the chapter of alterations will have:

[1] An unlock requirement. For example Knockback might require Str 15, or Athletics Proficiency, or a Paraglider, or ..., etc

[2] A requirement of the endeavor it will modify. For example Knockback would require the endeavor contacts the target of the knockback

[3] A complexity cost. This prevents you from apply every compatible alteration each time you use an endeavor. Complexity ranges from 0 to some positive number. Negative complexity costs do not exist.

[4] An effect (duh) which might scale or even trigger another endeavor. Knockback might have distance scale off of an Athletics check, or maybe it kicks off a Pushing endeavor to determine the distance.

Each time the character uses an endeavor (and that can be multiple times per turn or out of turn) they can modify it with alterations up to some complexity cap (which increases with level).

So you have martials whose flexibility scales with: (content created, complexity cap (mostly direct level scaling), and achieving unlock thresholds (indirect level scaling)).

So you could have someone use this system to do things like:
    [A] Hit a boulder for fast travel
    [5] Give an ally cover as a reaction
    and many more
    I've noticed that Extra Actions are kinda hard outside Legendary Actions.

I can see Bonus and Reaction options being added, though. (Unless you meant completely rewriting the game Mechanics?)

(1) Ok.

(2)Bonus Action: Knockback:
    Opposed Str check or
    Str Save? (DC 8 + Proficiency + Str mod)

(3) complexity could be either Proficiency times per round (so not limited to just BA/RA) or perhaps on some other Ability - like Con?

(4) maybe knockback is opposed Str with the loser being shoved the difference between the Scores?

(5) Either as a Reaction with Protector Style?
    or sacrifice your Bonus Action next round?

(A) Uses BA and move, but triples normal jumping distance in combat? O-C maybe double hourly travel rates for Con mod hours?

As for imagination. I am mostly describing the kind of imagination limit. Other than understanding the limit, I don't have tips on how to expand that imagination. Although simply following this thread has helped me expand it slightly. I really was underestimating the flexibility movement speed (combined with additional actions mid move).
    Einstein said that Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

But IMO/E Knowledge is the foundation of Imagination.

Knowledge tells what is already possible,
    Imagination reaches for new limits.

The 3rd edition feats were an improvement from earlier versions. They let the martials gain at-will access to a limited number of combat tricks. Turns out the limitation of feats did not map well for growing flexibility with level. I attempt to address this below by having the alterations have unlock requirements rather than costing feats.

Yes you could increase 5E martial flexibility by combining a bunch of 3rd edition feats and class features as a 5E feat. For example look at the War Hulk prestige class and turn that into a feat named War Hulk which gives access to Sweeping attacks and Large ranged attacks. Sometimes expanding the flexibility will require making your own content / feats / class features.

Or yes, maybe adding more features to the base classes / subclasses would be a good idea. Avoid increasing the vertical power of the class too much (some is okay) because it is the horizontal power that is desired.
    There are things that 3x D&D had that don't convert to 5e very well.

Making the War Hulk a feat could be neat, but in order to prevent too much O.P needs a limit. Maybe treats thrown objects as being proficient, but with maybe a 25/50 foot range?
    Can use Extra Attack, but not Two-weapon Fighting or Multi-attack?

You could change Hail of Thorns from a Ranger spell into a basic combat option at 6th+ or 11th+ level. Use an accuracy penalty to rebalance.
    I would most likely do so at 11th level, mostly to not overshadow the Ranger's coolness too early.

Fair, maybe it is not a 2 ton boulder. Just a large object. If 20 strength can lift it then it probably hurts several goblins. Maybe it even skids across the ground like a comet.
    Let me see (5e) 20 Str times 15 = 300 pound rock. Um, how big would that be?
    Like maybe a 3 foot diameter rock? Figure being able to throw that 10 feet with no problem, and maybe up to 20 feet at disadvantage? A Medium sized creature could throw that 15/30.
    A Large creature could maybe throw that 20/50?

Since this is the general RPG area I was spitballing new mechanics.
    This kind of system would be more aimed at if someone was authoring a new edition of an RPG.
    Without some idea of the mechanics they would be using for the engine, I'll stick with what I (mostly) know.

You have good ideas. I expect you could make your own list of alterations.
    Wow! Thanks!!!

5) I was thinking of using a reaction to hit an object between your ally and the attack.
    So the Hold Person spell fails because it hits the object instead.
    Well, for 5e, I could see doing that giving Advantage to the Save....
    Other RPGs might allow negation.

To convert to 5E D&D maybe:
    1) Replace Extra Attack with an Extra Endeavor per turn.
    2) Let all martials do an Endeavor as a reaction. (Different martials get access to different ones as reactions?)
    3) Complexity limit per Endeavor is equal to their Proficiency
    4) Have Attack, Move, Push, ... as some base Endeavors
    5) Push would move a target further with a higher success. Additionally it could be used on objects.
    6) Rebalance these.
    7) Some alterations
    (1) I'd rather make it where Endeavors could be added to each attack, but maybe limited number of uses per round - see #3. Martials (other than Rogues) don't really get a lot of things to use BAs/RAs on. I'm not sure, though. Some of these I could see being used more than once a round, with each successful hit - like the Conditions that a Monk imposes on a hit. At no Ki cost.

(2) Same problem as (1).

(3) This is a good limit.
    Maybe a Feat (11th level requirement) that adds either Dex or Cha to that limit for higher levels?

(4) Push/Toss, Drag/Move, Slide.

(5) Foes can try to oppose? Objects have a weight limit?

(6) Playtesting stage

(7) Most likely; more than once.

Knockback [Attack or Push][Complexity 3]:
    • Unlock: Str 16 or Athletics proficiency.
    • Requirement: The endeavor hits a target.
    • Effect: Make a Push endeavor against the same target at half your Complexity max.
    Perhaps a Str Save DC 8 + Proficiency + Str modifier. Target moved back half maximum speed?

Sweeping [Attack or Push][Complexity 4]:
    • Unlock: Str 20, Large Size, or Athletics expertise.
    • Requirement: The endeavor hits a target.
    • Effect: The endeavor hits all targets in 3 continuous squares in reach.
    Expertise locks this into Rogue (or Bard, but only Swords and Valor might be able to do it).
    I'd suggest: Large Size or 20 Str plus 13 Dex and proficient in Athletics.

Roll separately for each target; with Disadvantage after first target?

Mighty Push [Attack or Push][Complexity 1]:
    • Unlock: Str 16, Athletics proficiency.
    • Requirement: The endeavor moves a target.
    • Effect: Take a -5 penalty on the endeavor. Double the movement.
    • This can be applied multiple times.
    Yes, Bonus Action to allow movement by user to keep pace with target.
    Opposed Str (Athletics) check with target pushed Double the difference in feet each time.

Launch [Push][Complexity 2]:
    • Unlock: Str 18, Large Size, or Athletics proficiency.
    • Requirement: The endeavor moves a target.
    • Effect: Halve the distance the target moves. Instead it also is thrown upwards that high.
    • This can be applied multiple times.
    Requires Bonus Attack to initiate, must hit target, opposed Str (athletics) check?

Up the Walls [Movement][Complexity 3]:
    • Unlock: Dex 18, 40ft Speed, or Acrobatics expertise.
    • Requirement: The movement is adjacent to a wall.
    • Effect: You run up the wall. You gain 5ft of altitude per 10ft you move.
    Requires Bonus Attack to initiate? Would still allow movement, and attacking foes on ceiling (if within range) as part of their Actions on their Turn.

3e Birthright tried to do the "from start to finish" Domain Management, but very few people really got into it. I didn't really play Birthright, but I heard there was a lot of backstabbing and unfriendly PvP that happened. Like the worst of Game of Thrones and Intrigue based "The Americans" plus Gangbusters.

Some more Random thoughts:

I just remembered some things that could also cut some Multiclassing Mages down from their perch.

Again, going back to older Editions of D&D.
    It was specifically stated that Mages were not allowed to cast spells while wearing Armor (Also, taking away the spell failure percentages) and this limitation applied even when Multiclassing.

Sure, it means the Soradin is less spiffy, but also means that the Fighter/Wizard (Diviner) isn't walking around in Adamantine Full Plate.

I also don't let Regular shield and Shield spell bonuses stack. Kills that +10 to AC (even if only for that round at 17th level) that very few Class/Subclasses can match. This also makes Players think harder about their options.

Next, spell slots don't stack, and only apply to their own class.

Which kills the Coffeelock (Warlock spell slots cannot be converted into Sorcerer points), and stops the "never ending" Smite Palalock.

It also prevents Multiclassing Mages to Upcast otherwise low power spells into more powerful slots. Shows a true benefit to dedicated casters.

Now, you might be thinking:
    "But, that doesn't stop the Monk/Mage from being OP."

But, I offer the following:
    Splitting those two classes means that the PC is most likely MAD, and the Player isn't getting the full benefits of either class, and anyone remaining focused on only one of those classes is going to be lots better at doing that class, then the Multiclassed PC.

Yes, I know this is just reducing the vertical Power level of some Multiclassing Mages.

I'm still working on increasing the horizontal for Martials.
    Mostly, I find that the various Summons (which are the most common) are basically the Caster adding a few Mooks into the combat. A warrior at anything over 5th level that is properly equipped can deal with even 8 wolves (giant wolf Spiders are a little harder, but only if they hit, and the warrior fails their Con save and is then attacking with Disadvantage) attacking them.

And even being able to bring in a CR 10 Devil with Infernal Calling (costing the Mage their only 9th level slot) isn't much of a threat to most CR 17+ Challenges. Plus, said Devil is hostile to the Mage and allies; and the mage losing Concentration frees the Devil to do whatever it wants for three minutes….

Clerics burning a 7th level slot for a CR 5 Celestial (Unicorn), is really pathetic, IMO.
    But, like stated above, even the CR 10 Deva wouldn't really make too much difference
    'm not arguing that Mages don't have power, but I'm saying that having that power causes problems that make it difficult for them. Everyone with any kind of Status (money or political position) is going to bother the Mage/s for everything from "Solving a small problem" to making custom magical items (that burn Downtime). Even if the Mage manages to get an escape Mechanism in place, there are ways to counter that, or force them to use it while being pursued (putting a trap or Ambush at the "safe" location, if known)

Being Famous is a double sided blade (and affects all classes differently) or at least should be.

Really, Casters other than Clerics try to avoid being too well known. It's why the Hermit Mage/Druid is a trope.

Spoiler: Undeath Domain v2
    Show

Undeath Domain (changes)

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    <snip>
    Balm of the Grave
    Beginning at 1st level when you select this domain whenever you cast a spell that grants additional or restores hit points of first level or higher you may choose to grant temporary hit points equal to 5 times the spell’s level to all undead within 10ft of the target.

Channel Divinity: Command Undead
    As an Action you can command one or more Undead. You can command a number of undead within 30 ft whose combined CR does not exceed your level, those with the lowest CR are affected first. Undead with intelligence scores of 8 or less are controlled for 24 hours. Undead with intelligence scores of 12 or less are controlled for 1 hour. Undead with Intelligence scores of 13 or more are controlled for 1 minute and may retryl their save at the end of each turn.

Channel Divinity
    Repel the Living
    All living creatures within 20 feet of the Cleric must make a Charisma Save or take the Cleric's level plus Charisma Modifier in Necrotic damage, with a successful save reduces this to half.

All Rise
    Spoiler: animals
    Show
    Beginning at 6th level after selecting this domain, you can target the remains of nonhumanoid creatures with the Animate Dead spell. You can create Skeletal or Zombie versions of these creatures. The maximum CR of such creatures is your Cleric Level -4. Raising such a creature requires a Spell Slot equal to half its CR rounded down. The creature counts as a number of Skeletons or zombies equal to 2 times its CR.
    Use the entry for the creature in the Monster Manual with the following exceptions:
    —Creature Type Changes to Undead
    —they lose any Spellcasting or Psionics trait and gain immunity to poison and disease.
    —They are limited to melee and ranged attacks.
    —Skeletal creatures rise with 1/2 their normal hit point total and vulnerability to bludgeoning damage.
    —Zombified creature’s lose any Multiattack Action and their speeds are reduced by 10 feet but they gain the Undead Toughness trait.

Plague of Undeath
    Beginning at 6th level, Undead you create have Turn Resistance and are tainted with a cursed state; Living Creatures hit by your undead, have their maximum HP reduced by the amount dealt. (these are regained with a long rest) Upon death, those affected rize as Undead for one minute. (each)
    Spoiler: plague
    Show
    When they hit a living creature with a bite or claw attack the target must succeed on a Con save vs your Spell DC or become poisoned. While poisoned, The target’s maximum hit points are reduced by 5 at the end of each long rest, a creature that dies in this way rises as a zombie or skeleton after the next sunset. These undead also carry the cursed plague.

Lifedrain
    At 8th Level and beyond, once on each of your turns, when an Undead creature under your control hits with a melee attack you can choose to have it deal an additional 1d8 necrotic damage. At 14th level this improves to 2d8.

No Life King
    Beginning at 17th level the doors of death close to you and you become a Vampire Lord or Mummy Lord, you gain the special resistances, immunities, vulnerabilities, traits, and actions described in the MM using your Spell DC or appropriate bonuses to hit and damage. You do not gain any legendary actions or lair actions.

These are the things that I do when I'm DM-ing to build trust with my players:

Spoiler: Open Games
    Show
    (Remember that, unlike you, I run an open game at 2 FLGS, and get Random Players of every Exp/Skill Level. So far, I've managed to get good dedicated Players in both.
    But, I have lost some Players, too. A few due to RL getting in the way; as well as some that just went Ghost)

1) I advertise online - and announce at the table - what Game, Edition, and Campaign World I'm using and the fact that it is Homebrewed. (D&D, 5e with changes to some Classes, and modified Faerun)
    (I'm going to return to typing the list of all the changes, and my reasons for why; and start printing that as a handout for Players)

2) The Style my game is based on.
    (Heroic, and OSR playstyle in a player-driven Sandbox Living World)

"If you're PC does nothing, then nothing exciting/interesting happens to them."

"The World is in constant motion, and Time doesn't stop. What the PCs do can change the Fate of the World."

3) Announcement that PvP isn't welcomed.
    My limits for non-good PCs in my Games.
    CN isn't allowed, due to abuse.
    TN isn't allowed, being The Unmotivated NPC.

Evil PCs discouraged, but not banned by me.
    (The All Evil Party still needs to be Team-oriented, since I'm not interested in running D&D Solo games. If I'm doing mostly Solo gaming with occasional team-ups, I'd rather just run Shadowrun or a heavily modified World of Darkness - mostly to allow more "Types": Werewolves, Vampires, Mage/Mummy, and Hunters. I don't allow Changeling, Wraith, or Demon PCs)

3a) PCs need strong self motivations.
    Don't rely on me (or other Players) to involve your Character in whatever is going on In Game. (Not to be confused with cooperative inter-player Stories (past, present, future) and Plot creation and/or World Building with me, using the PC's Background and Backstory.)

4) I don't use a Screen. All rolls are Open, and I don't Fudge Die Rolls to "make a better story". Players do have access to things to help their PCs: From Inspiration/Luck to helpful DmPCs.

After a few attacks, I'll announce the Monster's AC.

I'll do my best to telegraph any Homebrewed changes to a Monster. Descriptions of better armor/thicker hide for AC. Place more than one NPC that has seen the Monster use an unusual ability or power. With all other NPCs pointing those inquiring PCs to those in the know.

Various Knowledge Checks to know things IC about a Monster. I make it fairly easy: DC 10 + CR.

Arcana for Elementals and magical creatures. From Firenewts to Dragons.

Nature for Humanoids, Giants, Beasts, Monstrosities, and Aberrations.

Religion for Undead and Dimensional Beings: Celestials, Fiends, etc.
    (both Arcana and Religion know about the Astral to Outer Planes, Ethereal to Elemental Planes, the Realms in the Shadow Plane, and the Feywild)

History to know a Race's culture and relations with other Races. As well as knowing about historic events and "Legendary" Items.

Investigation can get what a failed Knowledge check misses.
    Give the party an item that allows a Long Rest even while in the Wilderness or Dungeon.

In 3x - I created a Figurine that cast Leomund's Tiny Hut once a day.
    It could hold up to ten people, up to Large Size.

For 5e, this would most likely be a Rare item, with Leomund's Secure Shelter being Very Rare, and Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion being Legendary.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-07 at 11:36 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Hello Great Dragon, This is your Ranger from Ancient Realms!!! I'm stuck awake another one of my wonderful insomnia nights and finally have the energy to get some things rolling!

I will say that what I have played in 5e is so much better than any that I played when I was younger! I love the layout of the game and the different ways we can play. I feel that you as our DM have gone above and beyond to welcome any and everyone into our little world and make the game as understandable as possible for all new members and first time players!

Thank You for the great threads and the awesome world you take the time to share with everyone!

3. - Top - End - #33

BlackDragon

Greetings, Ranger Tatankya !!

I can't express how much I love having you Folks to game with.

There's a lot in this thread, so take your time reading it. I'm in the process of re-organizing it, so don't be surprised by edited changes.

4. - Top - End - #34

BlackDragon

i'm at a little bit of a loss, here.

Seems that my Hello thread was closed.

But, it is very difficult finding posts specific to me in Huge Threads, since I don't always have the time to read through all the other posts in that thread. (I do my best to do so, but can't always do that) Which means that I miss someone, and they think I'm ignoring them: which is what I was trying to avoid with my Hello thread.

Such was my problem with the Welcome New Members Thread in the Friendly Banter Forum - which I do check sometimes to see who might be new. Similar problem with the Random Banter threads.

As such I guess that anyone that wants to talk about the subjects in my Hello thread - in addition to Anything in this Thread (and related) will need to go and read it, compose and post your responses Comments/Questions about the contents into here.

Now, I'll cut the Mods a break and save some time by stating

Please don't put in single line or short posts !!
    If you really want to just say "Hello" and similar, please send me a PM, and I'll respond as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

Posting this PM for reference.

A direct response even a once a week means a lot to me.
    And with my dedicated Hello thread killed, means that I can only really use PMs to contact people for just Stuff. I'm really not able to keep up with the Random Banter Threads, there are way too many posts that don't apply to me, and trying to scroll through to find a response to me simply takes way too long.

I wish I was a quarter hundredth as good as Tawmis at writing a Story, because I really love my Worlds, and would enjoy sharing them with online people.

And before anyone tries: don't even suggest me making a Website for my Games. Sure, I'm retired, but it's not just a lack of Time, it's being able to stay interested. I get bored when I'm just sitting by myself and typing information into a website, that I can't afford to maintain. The free ones don't support the kind of things that I want/need for what I want to do, either.

And while Ancient Realms is a modified FR world, there are still lots of parts that no one has even seen. Mostly because I raid (and modify) all the material from the last 40+ years of D&D and compatible (splat) books, without regard to Edition (I just ignore old mechanics and replace with the new. I'm - ok, I guess - at conversions between most Editions >Except Fourth< of D&D)

Also it seems that no one is really interested in my Game.

What I have listed in the Thread here, is just a list of boring Facts and the two players from my game that joined the Site simply don't have the Time to post questions.

I'd do some gaming on the Forum, but I'm not the best at PbP, even when I'm the DM.

Seems that I have too many "No" responses for PCs.

"No" Chaotic Neutral/Insane.
    "No" (mindless) Chaotic Evil.

Restrictions on Bugbears and a lot of the Planescape/Plane Shift Races, like Vampires and Kalashtar.

"Nerfing" the Hexblade so that the Hex-adin does't do as much "Coolness" as is desired by Online Munchkins.

As mentioned, Dragonlance was a nice read, but didn't really have much to use in the way of putting into my world.

(Although I maybe using the three Knightly Orders of Solamnia as sperate Organizations is a possibility)
    Dragonriders are a very rare thing and usually only Young Dragons tolerate it.

Let me see,

I loved Spelljammer, but it's a bit of a pain to run.
    I like Sandbox gaming, but I usually still have a limit on how large the area is.

I didn't like Darksun. Very Survival based PvP style game.

Birthright looked interesting, but needs the Players to be Sim-minded with mild PvP actions.

I'll be honest, I only saw Galantry and Karameikos Realms from the old Mystara campaign

Well, if you read all this - thanks!!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-27 at 02:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

I wish I was a quarter hundredth as good as Tawmis at writing a Story, because I really love my Worlds, and would enjoy sharing them with online people.
    Well, to be fair; I've written some stories that never got replies here. If you look up my DragonAge story or my Legend of Grimrock story; I don't think either of those ever saw a reply. My machinima series thread, hardly ever got a reply.

I think the only reason the background thread is doing as well as it has been, is because it's for people specifically. So it's more personal. They're invested because it's their request.

I have plenty of very unsuccessful threads on these forums!

And while Ancient Realms is a modified FR world, there are still lots of parts that no one has even seen. Mostly because I raid (and modify) all the material from the last 40+ years of D&D and compatible (splat) books, without regard to Edition (I just ignore old mechanics and replace with the new. I'm - ok, I guess - at conversions between most Editions >Except Fourth< of D&D)
    Also it seems that no one is really interested in my Game.
    I'd do some gaming on the Forum, but I'm not the best at PbP, even when I'm the DM.
    I mentioned this on the PM, but modern technology has driven down the popularity of Play By Email (PBeM) or PbP (Play By Post) these days.
    Something, I was just thinking, is consider using Discord, if you don't want to use Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds.
    Discord is a free, persistent chat room, that has voice capabilities - and has a dice roller bot you can install (I did it for the weekend game I now substitute for).

As mentioned, Dragonlance was a nice read, but didn't really have much to use in the way of putting into my world.
    Dragonlance is a great world, because it's well defined, but still so much left to explore.

(Although I maybe using the three Knightly Orders of Solamnia as sperate Organizations is a possibility)
    The Knights of Solmania were great... I wish there was an easy way to convert those to 5e.

I loved Spelljammer, but it's a bit of a pain to run.
    Agreed.

I didn't like Darksun. Very Survival based PvP style game.
    My memory of Darksun is shaky... but if I remember correctly, it focused on a lot of Psionics... one of the aspects that never sat well with me in D&D. Not sure why I never connected with that, even in 2nd Edition.
    Need a character background written up? I do it for free but I am now taking financial donations through paypal if you're so inclined! <3 Now with over 100 character backgrounds written!

Check out my 5e Module The Secret of Havenfall Manor over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

6. - Top - End - #36

BlackDragon

Howdy! and thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis
    I mentioned this on the PM, but modern technology has driven down the popularity of Play By Email (PBeM) or PbP (Play By Post) these days.
    I didn't feel right trying to post anything you did in the PMs, and left that open for you to decide on.

Well, to be fair; I've written some stories that never got replies here. If you look up my DragonAge story or my Legend of Grimrock story; I don't think either of those ever saw a reply.
    My machinima series thread, hardly ever got a reply.
    I have plenty of very unsuccessful threads on these forums!
    I suppose that people are more picky these days.

I think the only reason the background thread is doing as well as it has been, is because it's for people specifically. So it's more personal. They're invested because it's their request.
    This is most likely very true.

Something, I was just thinking, is consider using Discord, if you don't want to use Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds.
    Discord is a free, persistent chat room, that has voice capabilities - and has a dice roller bot you can install (I did it for the weekend game I now substitute for).
    I just recently joined both Discord and D&D Beyond.
    Roll20 and FG, would require dedicated people for me to interact with on there.

Dragonlance is a great world, because it's well defined, but still so much left to explore.

The Knights of Solmania were great... I wish there was an easy way to convert those to 5e.
    Humm - I'd most likely make Sword a variant of Champion and Crown a variant of Samurai fighters, with Rose being Paladins (Any).

My memory of Darksun is shaky... but if I remember correctly, it focused on a lot of Psionics... one of the aspects that never sat well with me in D&D. Not sure why I never connected with that, even in 2nd Edition.
    Well, even Good Magic still killed nearby plants, and Dark magic killed anything alive nearby.
    Both Druid and Cleric magic didn't exist.

It wasn't the "Survive in the Desert" part of the World that was my problem really, it was that all the Races were extremely hostile to each other, and sometimes even their own kind.
    Too much negative PvP in Darksun Campaigns for my taste.

Most people still view Psionics as Sci-Fi and not Fantasy.

iME - 3e Psionics was a little weird, and was even more OP than most Quadratic Wizards, since they could move their Points around for best effect. Changing Magic to Point Based made both about equally silly.
    Give the Martials the abilities from the Tome of Battle in the Psi/Magic Point system and things evened out a lot better. But, it took quite a bit of patient work.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-25 at 12:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37

I suppose that people are more picky these days.
    Well, both were posted here back in 2013.
    - Dragon Age: Life Begins With Death
    - Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.

Funny thing is, where the LOG story stops, is nowhere near where I "stopped" writing. I think the lack of interest/replies, made me stop posting here for that. I had long since, moved it to my site, and continued to add there (from when I was posting on the official forum) - The Site.

This is most likely very true.
    I know it is! That's why I said it! :D

I just recently joined both Discord and D&D Beyond.
    Roll20 and FG, would require dedicated people for me to interact with on there.
    Good avenues (Discord, D&D Beyond has been good and bad for me)

Humm - I'd most likely make Sword a variant of Champion and Crown a variant of Samurai fighters, with Rose being Paladins (Any).
    The odd transition (requiring to be Sword first, before going into Crown, and needing to be Crown first, in order to be Rose), would, in 5e, require multiclassing.

Well, even Good Magic still killed nearby plants, and Dark magic killed anything alive nearby.
    Both Druid and Cleric magic didn't exist.
    It wasn't the "Survive in the Desert" part of the World that was my problem really, it was that all the Races were extremely hostile to each other, and sometimes even their own kind.
    Too much negative PvP in Darksun Campaigns for my taste.
    Ah yes. All reasons for my memory to be shaky on Darksun, as I rarely played it.
    Need a character background written up? I do it for free but I am now taking financial donations through paypal if you're so inclined! <3 Now with over 100 character backgrounds written!

Check out my 5e Module The Secret of Havenfall Manor over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

8. - Top - End - #38

BlackDragon

The odd transition (requiring to be Sword first, before going into Crown, and needing to be Crown first, in order to be Rose), would, in 5e, require multiclassing.
    Yeah, that requirement would absolutely have to go for 5e.
    Personality I always did hate those requirements, since if you wanted to get max levels in everything, the PC would be 50th level !!

20 Fighter* + 10 Crown + 10 Sword + 10 Rose.
    (*Treated as Paladin with enough levels in the correct PrC)

For 5e, Multiclassing my idea of Crown or Sword (fighter) plus Rose (paladin) would be possible, but otherwise = nope.

IDK, maybe make them different named levels in a Paladin Subclass.

Playtesters needed.
    Spoiler: Oath of Solamnia
    Show

Third: Crown
    An ideal Knight of the Crown is humble

Features: (WIP)
    Strength of Honor (Su): Once per day, a 1st level Knight of the Crown can gain advantage on Strength checks and skills for a number of rounds equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. For every 3 additional levels she advances as a Knight of the Crown, she can gain this bonus an additional time each day. Activating this ability is a Bonus action.

Heroic Initiative (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Knight of the Crown can add their Wisdom to initiative checks.

Fight to the Death (Ex): At 3rd level: When reduced to below Zero Hit Points, you automatically become stable.

Seventh: Sword
    "Skilled in battle"

Armored Mobility: At 7th level, can wear Heavy Armor and use Stealth without Disadvantage.

Soul of Knighthood: Any weapon the knight uses in combat is considered a holy weapon for purposes of overcoming the damage reduction of evil outsiders.

Fifteenth: Rose
    Virtues of forgiveness, redemption and wisdom: A Knight of the Rose is expected to honor the gods of Good at all times and in all acts, to fight for justice without regard to personal safety or comfort, to refuse to submit to any evil foe, and to sacrifice all in the name of honor.

Rallying Cry: as a Bonus Action, allow all allies within 30 feet to use their Reaction to make an Attack.

Inspire Greatness Can affect up to Charisma modifier in allies within 30 feet.
    A creature inspired with greatness gains temporary hit points equal to 2d10 Hit Dice (apply the
    target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice) and Advantage on Constitution Saves.

Twentieth

Features (WIP)
    Final Stand: Once per day a Rose Knight can inspire troops to a heroic effort, temporarily increasing their vitality. All allies within 10 feet of the knight gain 5d10 temporary hit points. This ability affects a number of creatures equal to the knight’s class level + his Charisma modifier and lasts up to an hour.

Knighthood’s Flower: A Knight of the Rose is the living embodiment of all that the Knights of Solamnia stand for: honor, wisdom, and justice. He gains complete immunity to compulsion effects (except harmless effects, such as aid).
    In addition, once per long rest, the knight can call upon the wisdom inherent in the Measure to grant himself the benefit of the foresight spell for a duration of 100 minutes. The knight can only gain foresight regarding himself, not another creature.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-09-27 at 01:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Playtesters needed.
    Spoiler: Oath of Solamnia
    Show

Third: Crown
    An ideal Knight of the Crown is humble

Strength of Honor (Su): Once per day, a 1st level Knight of the Crown can gain advantage on Strength checks and skills for a number of rounds equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. For every 3 additional levels she advances as a Knight of the Crown, she can gain this bonus an additional time each day. Activating this ability is a Bonus action.

Heroic Initiative (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Knight of the Crown can add their Wisdom to initiative checks.
    Fight to the Death (Ex): At 3rd level: When reduced to below Zero Hit Points, you automatically become stable.

Seventh: Sword
    "Skilled in battle"

Armored Mobility: At 7th level, can wear Heavy Armor and use Stealth without Disadvantage.

Soul of Knighthood: Any weapon the knight uses in combat is considered a holy weapon for purposes of overcoming the damage reduction of evil outsiders.

Fifteenth: Rose
    Virtues of forgiveness, redemption and wisdom: A Knight of the Rose is expected to honor the gods of Good at all times and in all acts, to fight for justice without regard to personal safety or comfort, to refuse to submit to any evil foe, and to sacrifice all in the name of honor.

Rallying Cry: as a Bonus Action, allow all allies within 30 feet to use their Reaction to make an Attack.

Inspire Greatness Can affect up to Charisma modifier in allies within 30 feet.
    A creature inspired with greatness gains temporary hit points equal to 2d10 Hit Dice (apply the
    target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice) and Advantage on Constitution Saves.

Twentieth

Features (WIP)
    Final Stand: Once per day a Rose Knight can inspire troops to a heroic effort, temporarily increasing their vitality. All allies within 10 feet of the knight gain 5d10 temporary hit points. This ability affects a number of creatures equal to the knight’s class level + his Charisma modifier and lasts up to an hour.

Knighthood’s Flower: A Knight of the Rose is the living embodiment of all that the Knights of Solamnia stand for: honor, wisdom, and justice. He gains complete immunity to compulsion effects (except harmless effects, such as aid).
    In addition, once per long rest, the knight can call upon the wisdom inherent in the Measure to grant himself the benefit of the foresight spell for a duration of 100 minutes. The knight can only gain foresight regarding himself, not another creature.
    I like this; it's similar to how it worked in Dragonlance RPG, if I remember correctly. Essentially you need "X" amount of levels to progress into each. I remember some other specifics, for requirements, but for the life of me can't remember what they were.

10. - Top - End - #40

BlackDragon

I like this; it's similar to how it worked in Dragonlance RPG, if I remember correctly. Essentially you need "X" amount of levels to progress into each. I remember some other specifics, for requirements, but for the life of me can't remember what they were.
    Thanks!

Spoiler: Oath and Measure
    Show

(Mechanics) To qualify to become a Knight of the Crown, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Alignment: Lawful good. Base Attack Bonus: +3. Base Save Bonus: Fort +4.
    Skills: Diplomacy 2 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, Ride 2 ranks.
    Feats: Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Honorbound, Martial Weapon Proficiency (any one), Shield Proficiency.
    Special: Squire of the Crown: The character must already have been accepted as a squire.
    All characters who want to become Solamnic Knights must first enter the knighthood as squires of the Knights of the Crown. (A candidate may be of any class or level to apply as a squire.) All knights begin their training in the virtue of loyalty.
    The candidate for Solamnic Knighthood must be presented to a Knightly Council and be sponsored by a knight in good standing from any of the Solamnic Orders. The candidate swears an oath to the honor of the knighthood, to the causes of
    the order, and to allegiance to the order, and vows to live by the Oath and the Measure.
    If there is no dissent from the knights, and no question of honor regarding the candidate is brought forth, he is accepted into the knighthood as a squire. Any question of the candidate’s honor requires that he be interrogated. If the question
    of honor is dismissed, then the candidate is accepted normally. If the question is found valid in the Council, the candidate is dismissed until the question of honor can be satisfied.
    Optionally, the Dungeon Master may allow a player character to begin a campaign as a Squire: Once a character has advanced at least one level (in any class) during the period as a squire and fulfills the requirements for the Knights of the Crown, the squire may petition at the next Knightly Council for full knighthood.

The Measure of the Crown Knight
    The Order of the Crown exemplifies the ideals of Loyalty and Obedience in all that a knight is and does. Loyalty requires unquestioned obedience to higher power and authority, as long as that power and authority follows and adheres to the precepts set forth in the Oath and the Measure.

Loyalty is due to one’s family, all that is good, those oppressed by evil, and those monarchs who by decree and common consent of the Knightly Councils are in good standing with the Knighthood and deserving of its honorable loyalty and protection.

Acts befitting a Knight of the Crown include:
    * Unquestioned obedience to those whose authority is righteously maintained in the Knightly Councils.
    * Dedication to the ideals of the Measure.
    * Loyalty to brother knights of all orders.
    * All other acts that cause the strengthening of loyalty among the knights.

Responsibilities of a Crown Knight
    A Knight of the Crown must serve and aid any fellow knight who is on the business of his order and requires assistance, and serve the kingdoms on the List of Loyalty as compiled by the Grand Circle of Knights. Failure to fulfill these duties may cause the honor of a knight to be questioned, and may cause their knighthood to be stripped from them.

Sword Knight Requirements
    (Mechanics) To qualify to become a Knight of the Sword, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Alignment: Lawful good. Base Attack Bonus: +6. Base Save Bonuses: Will +4.
    Skills: Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 2 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Ride 4 ranks.
    Feats: Diehard, Endurance, Honor-bound.
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st-level divine spells.
    Special: To become a Knight of the Sword, the character must have at least one level of the Knight of the Crown prestige class and the knightly courage class ability.

Sword Knightly Virtue: A character must be a Knight of the Crown in good standing before he can petition the Order of the Sword to be accepted into that body. During his time as a Knight of the Crown, the candidate must demonstrate his virtue
    and his adherence to the Oath and the Measure.

Before one can apply to a Knightly Council for acceptance into the Order of the Sword, s/he must have accomplished all the following, and be able to present witnesses to attest to his performance:
    * A journey of 500 miles or more in length and 30 days or more in time.
    * Three tests of the knight’s wisdom.
    * One test of his generosity.
    * One test of compassion.
    * The restoration of something that was lost.
    * Single combat with a worthy evil opponent (whose Challenge Rating is no more than two lower than the knight’s character level).
    * A deed of heroism and valor that upholds the virtues of knightly honor and good.

Measure: Knights of the Sword act as warriors for the gods of Good, upholding the purest ideals of
    heroism and courage. Heroism is the willingness to sacrifice one’s self for one’s beliefs.
    Heroic deeds include:
    * Strengthening the weak.
    * Enriching the poor.
    * Freeing the enslaved.
    * Exonerating the falsely accused.
    * Championing the defenseless.
    * Aiding fellow knights in need.
    * Courage is the readiness to die honorably in the fight for Good. Courageous acts include:
    * Facing evil fearlessly.
    * Defending the honor of the knighthood.
    * Defending the honor of a fellow knight.
    * Protecting the defenseless and weak.

Responsibilities of a Sword Knight
    A Knight of the Sword must pay homage to KiriJolith and the deities of Good each day, eagerly engage evil opponents in combat (not retreating regardless of the enemy’s strength), protect the weak and defenseless, and forswear use of
    knightly powers for unrighteous reasons.

Rose Knight
    (Mechanics) Alignment: Lawful good. Base Attack Bonus: +8. Base Save Bonuses: Will +7.
    Skills: Diplomacy 8 ranks, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 8 ranks, Ride 8 ranks.
    Feats: Endurance, Honor-bound, Leadership, and Mounted Combat.
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd-level divine spells.
    Special: To become a Knight of the Rose, the character must have at least one level of the Knight of the Crown prestige class and the knightly courage Crown Knight class ability. He must also have at least three levels in the Knight of the Sword prestige class and the aura of courage Sword Knight class ability.

Knightly Virtue: A character must be a Knight of the Sword in good standing before he can petition the Order of the Rose to be accepted into that body. During his time as a Knight of the Sword, the candidate must demonstrate his virtue and his
    adherence to the Oath and the Measure. Before he can apply to a Knightly Council for acceptance into the Order of the Rose, they must have accomplished all the following, and be able to present witnesses to attest to his performance:
    * (Another) journey of 500 miles or more in length and 30 days or more in time.
    * One test of the knight’s wisdom.
    * Three tests of his generosity.
    * Three tests of compassion.
    * The restoration of something that was lost.
    * Single combat with a worthy evil opponent (whose Challenge Rating is equal to or greater than the knight’s character level).

Measure: The Order of the Rose embraces honor guided by justice and wisdom. Honor is the allegiance to one’s oath to defend the cause of good. Justice is the heart of the Measure and the soul of a Rose Knight. Justice requires that the Rose
    Knight render to everyone—creature, person, or deity—his or her due.

Acts befitting a Rose Knight include:
    * Having compassion for the less fortunate.
    * Sacrificing one’s life for the sake of others.
    * Giving no thought to one’s own safety in defense of the Knighthood.
    * Protecting the lives of fellow knights.
    * Seeing that no life is wasted or sacrificed in vain.

Responsibilities of a Rose Knight
    A Knight of the Rose is expected to honor the gods of Good at all times and in all acts, to fight for justice without regard to personal safety or comfort, to refuse to submit to any evil foe, and to sacrifice all in the name of honor.

WIP = expect Edits.
    Spoiler: Knights of Neraka
    Show

These knights were formerly known as the Knights of Takhisis or simply “Dark Knights” because those who belonged to the order were devoted to the goals of the Queen of Darkness. Each Knight took a Blood Oath and followed a Vision of “One World Order.” Their honor and discipline was dictated by a strict and harsh Code

Test of Takhisis
    When members of the order were still called the Knights of Takhisis, they had to pass a dangerous test of loyalty to prove that their hearts were loyal to the purpose of the Dark Queen’s Vision. Now, as the Knights of Neraka, they still must pass a test—but one designed to ensure that squires are dedicated to the order itself, rather than to the ideals of the fallen goddess. Some still refer to this rite as the “Test of Takhisis,” even though it serves a wholly opposite intent. Ranking knights of all three orders are present to administer the test, with the two spellcasters using combinations of spells to create illusions and mental images that seem absolutely real to the squire. The test centers around three themes: Vision, Order, and Obedience. Problems given in the test include the following assessments: Will the knight sacrifice whatever is necessary— power, fortune, a loved companion, life itself—to remain loyal to the order? Is obedience more important to the tested knight than sentiment and compassion? Will the knight obey a command even if means the sacrifice of the knight’s own life or the lives of those he loves? Rare cases may require the knight to go on an important quest in lieu of an illusionary test, though the problems faced in such a test are inevitably similar. Failure of the test results in death. But if the knight passes the ordeal, he is taken to a dark temple for four days of fasting and prayer, at the end of which the Skull Knights name him a new Knight of Neraka, who may then join his new order. The Blood Oath “Submit or die” is the phrase that binds all Dark Knights to their cause. They must obey the will of their superiors. All personal considerations must be secondary. Total obedience does not mean that a Dark Knight is not allowed to use intelligence or creativity, however. Their use is dictated by the Code. The Code The Code is a firm set of laws, based in part on the Measure of the Solamnic Knights. The text is direct and the rules are strict, but there is room for exceptions and flexibility. The Code is written primarily to deal with military situations, but cleverly phrased so that it applies directly to the personal lives of the Dark Knights. Matters can be disputed and adjudicated by high-ranking knights, with each case decided on its own merits.

Lily Knights
    Their most basic tenet teaches that strength is achieved through conformity and uniformity. Free-thinking and individuality result in chaos. Knights of the Lily are committed to world conquest.

Requirements Alignment: Lawful evil
    Base Attack Bonus: +5. Skills: Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks. Feats: Honor-bound. Special: Squire of the Lily: A candidate wanting to become a Knight of the Lily must have a patron (a Knight of the Lily of at least 3rd level). If deemed acceptable, the candidate becomes a squire of the Lily. Optionally, the Dungeon Master may allow a player character to begin a campaign as a squire. Test of Takhisis: Once a character has advanced at least one level (in any class) during the period as a squire and fulfills the requirements for the Knights of the Lily, the squire may petition to undertake the Test of Takhisis. If the applicant passes, he is accepted as a knight in the Order of the Lily.

Features
    3rd level: Sneak Attack bonuses to damage stack.

Demoralize (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Knight of the Lily gains a +2 profane bonus on Intimidate checks made to demoralize an opponent in combat. If the knight’s check is successful, the target is shaken for 1 round per class level of the knight.

Fight to the Death (Ex): At 3rd level, a Knight of the Lily gains the Diehard feat as a bonus feat, even if he does not have the prerequisite feat. Unbreakable Will (Su): At 4th level a Knight of the Lily has such devotion to his cause that he becomes immune to fear effects. In addition, he receives a +2 morale bonus on all saving throws against mind-affecting magic. This bonus increases to +4 at 8th level.

Skull Knight
    “Death is patient. It flows both from without and from within. Be vigilant in all and skeptical of all.” Entering battle with strength and divine magic, Knights of the Skull are the spirit of the Dark Knights, like the Order of the Lily is the body and Order of the Thorn is the mind. The Skull Knights can be both brutal and subtle in their work, wielding divine magic against enemies in battle, and using seduction, manipulation, and diplomacy to achieve their goals. Skull Knights are often placed as ambassadors or advisers to foreign powers. Such postings take advantage of their natural skill at intrigue, which they supplement with the power of their divine magic. When deployed with other Dark Knights, they act as a secret police, keeping a close watch on every knight’s activities and reporting violations of the Code to their superiors.

Favor of Darkness: the Knight of the Skull is a virtual embodiment of evil. Any melee weapon that the character wields is considered an (unholy) magical weapon for purposes of bypassing the damage reduction of certain good outsiders. In addition, the weapon deals an additional +1d6 points of necrotic (unholy) damage to any good creature it hits.
    The weapon loses both properties as soon as the Knight of the Skull stops touching it.

One Thought: At 10th level, Dark Knights working as a group have perfected their uniformity to the point where they almost seem to share a common mind. A 10th-level knight is not surprised or flat-footed if any other Dark Knight (of any level) within 100 feet is not surprised. He also cannot be considered flanked unless every other Knight of the Lily within 100 feet is also flanked. These benefits apply only to a 10th-level knight, not to any other Knight of the Lily nearby.

Thorn
    “One who follows the heart finds it will bleed. Feel nothing but victory.” The Knights of the Thorn are also known as the “gray robes” for the ash-colored robes they wear to indicate that they do not serve the Orders of High Sorcery. In addition to wielding devastating arcane magic, Thorn Knights are seers and diviners, working to understand how every person and event fits into their order’s design. Thorn Knights are able to see and understand seemingly random events as part of a grand design. While the Order of the Skull seeks to manipulate people and events, the Thorn Knights try to profit from a greater understanding of fate. Their pursuit of forbidden magic outside the laws of the Conclave allows them access to magical secrets to enhance their spellcasting.

Requirements To qualify to become a Knight of the Thorn, a character must fulfill all the following criteria. Alignment: Lawful evil. Base Attack Bonus: +3. Base Save Bonus: Fort +4, Will +3. Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks. Feat: Any one metamagic feat, Armor Proficiency (heavy), Martial Weapon Proficiency (all). Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells.
    Special: Squire of the Lily: A candidate wanting to become a Knight of the Thorn must have a sponsor (a Knight of the Thorn of at least 3rd level). If deemed acceptable, the candidate is considered a squire of the Lily (even though he will eventually be a Thorn Knight). Optionally, the Dungeon Master may allow a player character to begin a campaign as a squire. Test of Takhisis: Once a character has advanced at least one level (in any class) during the period as a squire and fulfills the requirements for the Knights of the Thorn, the squire may petition to undertake the Test of Takhisis (see sidebar). If the applicant passes, he can be accepted as a knight in the Order of the Thorn.

Aura of Terror: the Knight is surrounded by a palpable aura of evil magic that makes other creatures—even other Knights of Neraka—uneasy and fearful. Creatures within 10 feet of the knight must make a successful Will save (DC 8 + proficiency + Cha modifier) or become shaken. A creature that successfully saves is immune to that knight’s aura of terror for one day.

Weapon Touch: At 4th level, a Knight of the Thorn gains the ability to deliver touch spells by means of a melee attack, channeling spells through his weapon. Delivering a spell in this manner requires a normal melee attack, rather than a melee touch attack. If the attack is successful, the knight deals normal weapon damage in addition to the effects of the spell. If the attack is unsuccessful, the spell is discharged and wasted (unless the spell allows the caster to deliver multiple touches). As with a normal touch spell, the knight can cast the spell and make the attack in the same round; however, doing so is a full-round action and so the knight cannot move more than a 5-foot step between casting the spell and delivering the attack.

Spoiler: Comments
    Show
    Honestly, I’m most likely going to change Thorn to the next up from Lily. I’m not sure what to call the last Knight.

The “Grey Robes” are known as the Skull Order, consisting of Evil versions of Arcane Clerics, Sorcerers, Necromancer Wizards and Warlocks. While not directly a part of the dark knights, the Skull Order got their start with them, and remain closely linked in many ways. The Skull Oder, like the High Tower Mages (which are actually Arcane Clerics in my DL version) support the cause of spreading the understanding of Magic, but don’t have the strict control on what can be researched or used by members.

Spoiler: Legion of Steel
    Show

In contrast to the other knightly organizations, the Legion of Steel is not a rigid hierarchy divided into three orders, nor does it follow a rigid code of codes and measures. Instead, its members—including disillusioned former knights of the other two orders—are loosely grouped into cells beholden only to an oral tradition called Sara’s Legacy. Named after the Legion’s founder Sara Dunstan, the Legacy teaches a few central virtues without codifying virtue into legislation: to always have the courage to do what is right; to gain strength through self-knowledge; to remain vigilant against danger and injustice; to respect virtue in all its forms; to grant justice to all beings; and to fight for one’s beliefs unto death. The Legion of Steel counts characters of all classes as members—not just knightly fighters and paladins, but stealthy rogues and rangers, mystics and sorcerers, bards and barbarians. A legionnaire is defined not by her abilities and powers, but by her commitment to the Legacy.

Alignment: Legionnaires all share a good alignment, though they sometimes engage in activities that some might find questionable in the name of a greater good. Unlike Solamnic Knights and Dark Knights, legionnaires are as often chaotic as lawful, believing that too much regulation and discipline quickly stifles the cause of good.
    The Legion of Steel admits characters of any race to its ranks, making it easily the most diverse and inclusive organization in Ansalon.

Requirements To qualify to become a steel legionnaire, a character must fulfill all the following criteria. Alignment: Any nonevil. Base Attack Bonus: +4. Base Save Bonuses: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2. Skills: Bluff 3 ranks, Diplomacy 4 ranks, any one skill 9 ranks.

Favored Enemy: as Ranger.

Reputation (Ex): Steel legionnaires are widely regarded as champions of the common people. When dealing with working-class or poor individuals, steel legionnaires of 2nd level or higher gain a +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks. Apprentice: At 3rd level, a steel legionnaire has the option of taking on an apprentice. This apprentice is a cohort whose abilities are determined exactly as though the character had the Leadership feat (although she cannot gain followers as a result of this ability). The steel legionnaire is responsible for training this apprentice in the Legacy and the work of the Legion, as well as for protecting him from danger and corruption.

Don't feel bad: While Dragonlance goes back to 1e, they didn't actually make a (kind of) PHB until 3e. I had to scour the Net to find the Info that is in all the Spoilers.

For the most part - the Requirements* were rather vague (on purpose) and only gave a short list for getting into the next Prestige Class up the Chain: Crown/Sword/Rose.

Lots of Honor-based actions that emphasized the Oath and Measure, and doing Quests for the Greater Good (See Measure Spoiler)

* The book stated that this way, the DM could allow either pure Mechanics - gain the basic Fighter, BaB, Feats, etc - and get the PrC, or go more RP, where the Player records each Heroic and Honorable Deed, and actually plays through the Trial/s for acceptance to each new PrC: With the other Players as witnesses.

I'd have to do some more research, I did find the actual Oath and Measure codes, and I might use them for some of the Standard Paladins. Also, I believe that the original Knights of Takhisis would be a more interesting Oathbreaker and/or Conquest Paladin.

Sadly, I see way more of the Mechanics over Roleplay being done for PC creation, these days.
    Where even the Background is simply chosen to give the build more 'umph' in emphasizing whatever Build they are aiming for.

I'm always glad to see examples of Roleplay, but actually do like a balance with Mechanics. After all they are both a part of the Game/s.

Which is why I really like your dedicated Backstories Thread, and love seeing people ask you for this: Keeps my hopes up. Kinda wish more members were interested poisting in my Character Building thread. Sigh.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-02 at 04:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

BlackDragon

(I dislike super-long posts)

Query: Would giving the Revised Ranger more Extra Attacks (total of 4 at 20th level) sound reasonable? Maybe limited to the Fighting Style they chose at 1st level?

The Fighter's Action Surge is what makes them stand out = at Twentieth level 8 attacks plus a Bonus Action (plus a Reaction)

Edit: I'm wanting to add extra Favored Enemies. Up to a maximum of 5 at Twentieth level.

Q2 = Would the above plus the following be too much?
    Spoiler: Additional Options
    Show
    Combining (with some modifications) UA #8 and UA #18 and adding to PHB Ranger.

Animal Companion At 3rd level, you learn to use your magic to create a powerful bond with a creature of the natural world. With 1 hour of work and the expenditure of 50 gp worth of rare herbs and fine food, you call forth an animal from the wilderness to serve as your faithful companion. You can normally select your companion from among the following animals: an ape, a black bear, a boar, a giant badger, a giant weasel, a mule, a panther, or a wolf. However, your DM might pick one of these animals for you, based on the surrounding terrain and on what types of creatures would logically be present in the area. At the end of the Ritual, your animal companion appears and gains all the benefits of your Companion’s Bond ability. You can have only one animal companion at a time. If your animal companion is ever slain, the magical bond you share allows you to redo the Ritual and return it to life.

Your animal companion gains the benefits of your Favored Enemy feature, and of your Greater Favored Enemy feature when you gain that feature at 6th level. It uses the favored enemies you selected for those features.

Coordinated Attack Beginning at 5th level, you and your animal companion form a more potent fighting team. When you use the Attack action on your turn, if your companion can see you, it can use its reaction to make a melee attack.

Beast’s Defense At 7th level, while your companion can see you, it has advantage on all saving throws.

Storm of Claws and Fangs 11th level (Modified) Multi-attack one target or your companion can use its action to make a melee attack against each creature of its choice within 5 feet of it, with a separate attack roll for each target.

Superior Beast’s Defense: At 15th level, whenever an attacker that your companion can see hits it with an attack, it can use its reaction to halve the attack’s damage against it.

Note: When you gain your animal companion at 3rd level, its proficiency bonus matches yours at +2.
    As you gain levels and increase your proficiency bonus, remember that your companion’s proficiency bonus improves as well, and is applied to the following areas: Armor Class, skills, saving throws, attack bonus, and damage rolls.

Ambuscade 6th level Ranger. When you roll initiative, you gain a special turn that takes place before other creatures can act. On this turn, you can use your Reaction to take either the Attack or Hide action.
    If more than one creature in an encounter has this feature, they all act first in order of initiative, then the regular initiative order begins. If you would normally be surprised at the start of an encounter, you are not surprised but you do not gain this extra turn. (having both Observant and Alert grants full benefits, and Advantage to hit with this reaction as well as Advantage to Initiative with the Plus Five added)

Foe Slayer At 20th level, you become an unparalleled hunter. Once on each of your turns, you can add your Wisdom modifier to the attack roll or the damage roll of an attack you make. You can choose to use this feature before or after the roll, but before any effects of the roll are applied.

Spoiler: BEASTmaster
    Show

Here I have some options: I’m considering the first, like the second and might see if I can combine both without overbalancing the Archetype.
    ONE
    At 3rd level, your companion can be any Beast of up to half your Ranger level.

At 11th level, your companion can be any Monstrosity up to one third of your Ranger level.
    I would discount Humanoid Monstrosities from the list.
    Chimera = Yes. Medusa = No. Drider = Maybe?

TWO
    At 3rd level, you form a spiritual bond with a natural creature.
    This companion protects you as you travel and watches your back in battle.
    You choose a ranger path that shapes your companion and its magic: the Guardian, the Seeker, or the Stalker.

Guardian By following the path of the Guardian, you protect the natural world from creatures that would despoil it, even as you engage with the common folk who rely upon nature’s bounty to survive.
    You patrol the pathways through the wilds, keeping them clear of bandits and rampaging monsters, even as you keep careful watch on how civilized realms interact with the wilderness. Those who take more than their fair share — clear-cutting forests or hunting for sport rather than survival — risk your wrath. Your spirit companion is one of the following: An ape, a black bear, a boar, a giant badger, a giant weasel, a panther, or a wolf.

Guardian’s Duty: The ranger can choose an ally that they can see and that is within ten feet of their companion.
    As a Bonus Action, the Companion can impose Disadvantage to any single attack against the ally.
    If the attack would still hit the Companion’s AC, they take the damage of the attack.

Seeker: Your companion can be a giant eagle, a giant owl, or any bird the DM allows.
    Your companion lends its sharp combat senses to you and your companions. As a bonus action, you choose a creature you can see. Until the end of your next turn, all attacks made against the chosen creature have advantage.

Stalker Choose yourself or an ally you can see and within ten feet of your companion, as a Reaction your companion can distract a foe and increase the Threat range of weapons by one point.
    Also, the companion can grant all allies within ten feet Advantage to Stealth checks.

Spoiler: Rogue option
    Show

Skirmisher’s Stealth Stolen from UA #8 Ranger
    Beginning at 5th level, you combine speed and stealth in combat to make yourself hard to pin down. You are difficult to detect even if you attack or otherwise take actions that would normally reveal your presence. At the start of your turn, pick a creature you are hidden from. You remain hidden from that creature during your turn, regardless of your actions or the actions of other creatures.
    (Modified) You have Advantage when you use the Hide action.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-02 at 11:12 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

(I dislike long posts)
    Querry: Would giving the Revised Ranger more Extra Attacks (total of 4 at 20th level) sound reasonable? Maybe limited to the Fighting Style they chose at 1st level?
    The Fighter's Action Surge is what makes them stand out = at Twentieth level 8 attacks plus a Bonus Action (plus a Reaction)
    I'd like to get a character to Level 20 to see how it plays. Currently my highest 5e character in a game I play in is Level 7.
    The highest for the characters I DM for is 4.

13. - Top - End - #43

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I'd like to get a character to Level 20 to see how it plays.
    Currently my highest 5e character in a game I play in is Level 7.
    The highest for the characters I DM for is 4.
    I am also curious, as well.
    Check out Edited options.

Now with a few players willing to test these Ideas, I might have some feedback by the end of the year.

I'm going to work on Ranger and a few other Classes as I have time.

The new Decent into Avernus has a nice New Background: Faceless; I imagine that it's like being the Adventuring version of a Luchador Wrestler - so long as the "Mask" is on, everyone loves you.

Very interesting Balder's Gate Origins and Personality Traits/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws for several classic Backgrounds, as well.

Comments in Avernus Thread
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-02 at 10:52 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

The new Decent into Avernus has a nice New Background: Faceless; I imagine that it's like being the Adventuring version of a Luchador Wrestler - so long as the "Mask" is on, everyone loves you.
    I've not read about the Faceless background; but my first thought was not wrestling; but rather Game of Thrones.

15. - Top - End - #45

BlackDragon

I've not read about the Faceless background; but my first thought was not wrestling; but rather Game of Thrones.
    Well, since I've never seen any of GoT, I suppose that is why I went with Wrestling.

Which GoT Character?

16. - Top - End - #46

Well, since I've never seen any of GoT, I suppose that is why I went with Wrestling.
    Which GoT Character?
    I am always surprised when someone in a fantasy setting hasn't at least seen the Game of Thrones series (never surprised when they've not read the books).

Anyway, it's primarily Arya Stark, because of the teachings of The House of Black And White in the city Braavos, which is dedicated to the May Faced God, which taught them how to be Faceless Men.

The Faceless Men possess the ability to physically change their faces, shapeshifting so that they appear as an entirely new person.

The Faceless Men are based on the Order of Assassins, a Nizari Islamic secret society that was active in the Middle East during the 11th to 13th centuries.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlackDragon

@Tawmis: Actually, the biggest reason why I haven't seen GoT is mostly because I'm cut off from most forms of TV/Cable and I while I do have free time on some days, I'm usually working on getting the next game figured out on those days; otherwise I'd be watching the Critical Role podcast on Youtube every day until I caught up again. I just hope I can find a (preferably Free) cheap site that has GoT and other shows I'm interested in, when I get there.
    - Also of note, I'm also not able to do Video Games right now, and will only have the X-box 360 when I do finally get around to doing that. Also, I'm rather picky about what v-Games I will even try playing.

I'll eventually get around to watching GoT (and maybe even reading the books, because that's something that I also enjoy and can't really do, yet) and better understand these GoT memes and other references.
    Good thing my enjoyment of something is never ruined by Spoilers, which is why I asked.

Once again, thanks a lot for joining me here!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-07 at 05:09 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Actually, the biggest reason why I haven't seen GoT is mostly because I'm cut off from most forms of TV/Cable
    A lot of people have been using alternative.

and I while I do have free time on some days, I'm usually working on getting the next game figured out on those days; otherwise I'd be watching the Critical Role podcast on Youtube every day until I caught up again.
    Hahah! Critical Role depresses me. Because they have so much to pull from being officially supported. lol

Out of curiosity, for when you do your campaign stuff - do you strictly stick to your version of Forgotten Realms? Have you ever done a homebrew world from scratch?

19. - Top - End - #49

BlackDragon

A lot of people have been using alternative.
    Hahah! Critical Role depresses me. Because they have so much to pull from being officially supported. lol
    It only irritates me when everyone expects every D&D game to look the same as theirs.
    They are a bunch of long term friends, and are all experienced pro actors to boot.
    With the backing of WoTC and the resources of Geek and Sundry to draw upon.

Out of curiosity, for when you do your campaign stuff - do you strictly stick to your version of Forgotten Realms? Have you ever done a homebrew world from scratch?
    I think that the technical answer is no.
    All of my Worlds start with an established World foundation, and expand from there.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-08 at 06:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

It only irritates me when everyone expects every D&D game to look the same as theirs.
    They are a bunch of long term friends, and are all experienced pro actors to boot.
    And money and resources... So they can have an actual "castle" piece to fight on top of, if need be. Wizards of the Coast knows the show is so beneficial for them, that they will throw money at it.

It can create the " Matt Mercer Effect ."

Thankfully the group I DM for had never played D&D before, and had not seen Critical Role or anything like that to have any preconceived expectations!

I think that the technical answer is no.
    All of my Worlds start with an established World foundation, and expand from there.
    Interesting. Reason I ask is, you clearly seem quite creative. So I was wondering if you'd ever built a D&D world from the ground up.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-10-08 at 06:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

BlackDragon

And money and resources... So they can have an actual "castle" piece to fight on top of, if need be. Wizards of the Coast knows the show is so beneficial for them, that they will throw money at it.

It can create the "Matt Mercer Effect."

Thankfully the group I DM for had never played D&D before, and had not seen Critical Role or anything like that to have any preconceived expectations!
    Yeah, that "effect" is what I was referring to, and complaining about.
    Both you and I got lucky.
    Not sure how many of my Players watch CR, but no one expects Super Detailed World and always funny NPC RP or Ultra Cool Swag at the game.

Interesting. Reason I ask is, you clearly seem quite creative. So I was wondering if you'd ever built a D&D world from the ground up.
    I'd need someone to be with (in person) to help me stay interested - as well as someone that was good at creating Maps: World, Regions, City, etc. I can fill in details all day, but it's Really Hard for me to start with a blank slate.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-10-08 at 07:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

RE: Creating worlds

I'd need someone to be with (in person) to help me stay interested - as well as someone that was good at creating Maps: World, Regions, City, etc. I can fill in details all day, but it's Really Hard for me to start with a blank slate.
    I remember my first "homebrew" world was a variation of Greyhawk that had Norse gods (from Deities & Demigods), because I was a huge Thor comic book fan. This is when I was like 14.
    I have always taken that initial homebrew and changed it over and over and over, through the years; making it my own more and more.
    I borrow from influences; for example, a previous version of my campaign world was heavily influenced by a series of CRPG games I loved called Realms of Arkania which had a heavy influence for how my gods operated.

There's still influences I see from various things in my own campaign that I can say, "That came from Realms of Arkania, that came from The Hobbit, that came from Greyhawk, that came from Dragonlance..." They're all so covered in my own variations now, that someone else probably wouldn't recognize the influences.

The one place I am weak at is drawing interior maps. World maps, I can do. Have me draw the inside of a building? Forget it.

I can populate cities with interest people and leaders, but due to my (real life) dislike of all thing politics, I am horrible at creating interesting political things.

All of that to say - it'd be cool if you made a homebrew, and just borrowed from influences. Definitely have the talent for it, I think.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-10-09 at 11:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlackDragon

RE: Creating worlds
    I remember my first "homebrew" world was a variation of Greyhawk that had Norse gods (from Deities & Demigods), because I was a huge Thor comic book fan. This is when I was like 14.
    I have always taken that initial homebrew and changed it over and over and over, through the years; making it my own more and more.

I borrow from influences; for example, a previous version of my campaign world was heavily influenced by a series of CRPG games I loved called Realms of Arkania which had a heavy influence for how my gods operated.

There's still influences I see from various things in my own campaign that I can say, "That came from Realms of Arkania, that came from The Hobbit, that came from Greyhawk, that came from Dragonlance..." They're all so covered in my own variations now, that someone else probably wouldn't recognize the influences.

The one place I am weak at is drawing interior maps. World maps, I can do. Have me draw the inside of a building? Forget it.

I can populate cities with interest people and leaders, but due to my (real life) dislike of all thing politics, I am horrible at creating interesting political things.

All of that to say - it'd be cool if you made a homebrew, and just borrowed from influences.
    Definitely have the talent for it, I think.
    Thanks for the kind words, Sir!

Frankly - I normally ignore current RL Politicians (except as a potential stereotypical Hero or Villain NPC)
    To me RL Politicians are a necessary Evil. Getting rid of the ones we have would just be replaced by the Devil we DON'T know.

I do like to read RL History (Religion and Business just being different Political platforms) and base In Game international, and racial, relations along slightly modified lines.

I can do In Game Politics - because these are based on In Game expectations and are intended to be something that the Players engage and deal with. Taking down the corrupt Noble and either becoming - or supporting - a (Lesser) House in the hopes of making things better for the people - or the Town/City/Region as a whole.

Region Maps I can cobble together at least some general ideas as to what I want in the Area, but still prefer just modifying something already existing. Atlas/World Maps stump me.

Town/City Maps are a little harder, and are usually a modified version of an already existing map to base on.

Dungeon Maps and Interior maps I can do all day.

I think that Ancient Realms + New Frontiers has become a huge influence on my Homebrew World. The only thing I need to do for that Old World is finish up the New Deities and somehow come up with Maps for it = Atlas - Regions - Cities/Towns and semi-permanent "Points of Interest".
    Then blend in the changes between the two - and HA!

24. - Top - End - #54

Thanks for the kind words, Sir!
    Simply speaking the truth, good sir!

Region Maps I can cobble together at least some general ideas as to what I want in the Area, but still prefer just modifying something already existing. Atlas/World Maps stump me.
    So... I am not sure if this helps... Maybe not because you're using an existing setting for a foundation...
    But I've used:
    http://www.hexographer.com/

For example, this is the current continent ("newly discovered") that my campaigns happen in:
    http://tawmis.com/kneurth/wp-content.../IvoryVale.png
    NOTE: It's a pretty large image, file size wise.

Dungeon Maps and Interior maps I can do all day.
    There's a couple of fun dungeon map generators I've used.

I think that Ancient Realms + New Frontiers has become a huge influence on my Homebrew World. The only thing I need to do for that Old World is finish up the New Deities and somehow come up with Maps for it = Atlas - Regions - Cities/Towns and semi-permanent "Points of Interest".
    Then blend in the changes between the two - and HA!
    Make it so, Number One! :D
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-10-10 at 10:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

BlackDragon

Make it so, Number One! :D
    If you can help come up with the Name and Backstory for the replacement Deity of Magic, that would be awesome!!

A hero (Copper Dragon Wyrmling) is only as good - or interesting - as his villain.

And the idea of having an actual Green Dragon Wyrmling being involved spawned the entire thing...
    I repeat: Beautiful!

26. - Top - End - #56

BlackDragon

Moved Again!!

Game Updates

Spoiler: New Frontiers - Wed
    Show

1/ 14/ 848
    first player (random encounter)
    Uma * Wood Elf Nature Cleric.

Looking for Vermix Blackoak the furniture merchant. Owns a Sawmill.
    Bruce Deadhand Half-Orc Barbarian 1

Stampeded the Giant Oxen!!
    Delivery delayed a week.
    Sawmill - Cleric Damaged belt, Pipilin jammed log saw and trapped DC 24

Met dNPC Pipilyn the Halfling Rogue
    Red Hair Green Eyes. Ht 3’3”
    Background: Urchin Sleight of Hand, Perception, Disguise Kit; Class:
    Str 12 Dex 20 Con 16 Int 14 Wis 16 Cha 15,
    Language: Common, Goblinoid, Undercommon,

Quest = Goblins! Walking 1 day. Paladin, Monk, Ranger.

Pipilin is following; met the party

Travel an hour. And find the Goblin Hideout
    4 round to kill 7 goblins. 1 almost escaped.
    3 wolves in 6 seconds.

10 goblins. Killed. 10 hand xbows, 130 bolts.
    Short rest. Brown mold trap.
    Bridge 4 goblins (leather shield shortswords)

Short rest.
    +20 min for two Rituals.

Level 2 (550 exp)
    Return to Town.

Half-Elf - Paladin
    sHuman - Ranger (Forest)
    Kenku - Druid (Shepard)
    Moon Elf (f) - Rogue
    sHuman - Fighter
    Moon Elf - Fighter
    Half-Elf - Blue Draconic Sorcerer.
    vHuman - Monk

Mostly Character development and backstories.

1/ 16/ 848
    Paladin, Monk and Ranger are in Oytmeet town.

Fireaxe - Dwarf (m) - needs an Ogre killed.

Found the Ogre’s Hut.

Ranger casts Animal Friendship successfully on the worg
    Sorcerer casts Fire bolt on the hut.

Nat 20 on Paladin = 13 damage.
    Ogre dies. 25 cp 82 sp 21 gp
    Party 1 cp 2 sp 5 gp

Ogre + 2 Shadows + Orcs

2400 cp (300 each), 800 sp (100 each), 40 gp (5), Box of Perfumed Candles (25 gp), Small Bag of Spices (25 gp), Leather Belt set with Hematite (25 gp), Leather Coinpurse (25 gp), Ceramic Scroll Case (25 gp),
    Brooch of Shielding (uncommon, dmg 156), +1 Weapon (sickle) (uncommon, dmg 213)

1/ 19/ 848

Contract for Giant Job - get Info = 500 gp. Move them = 1,000 gp. Kill = 2,000 gp.

Side quest: Orcs in the Forest.
    Ambushed by 10 orcs.

Paladin, Monk and Ranger are level three.

Small group - side quests.

1/ 20/ 848
    Party is Camping - met The Blue Draconic Sorcerer.

Kicked the heck out of 3 Ogres, leaving one for Integration, killed when done.

Party 1 cp 1 sp 10 gp

Found orc camp. 20 Orcs would have TPKed the party.

Gwydalin * Gnome (f) Evoker.
    Saved party with a fireball.

310 gp (74 gp), (125 gp),
    Spell Scroll (Grease) (common, dmg 200),
    Spell Scroll (Heroism) (common, dmg 200),
    Potion of Climbing (common, dmg 187),
    3 x Potion of Healing (common, dmg 187)

Party is now 4th level.

4 Phase Spiders - Killed.

01/20/848
    2 Ogres killed. 1400 exp
    Dragonborn Attacked by Invisible Kobold (cussing in Deep Speech)
    3 Hill Giant - killed 1800
    Chief - negotiation to move the tribe to the north pass.

Party Treasure 4,510 gp

Party Level Five !!

Dragon hilted Longsword +2 Dragonslayer Wis DC 14 or 3d6 psychic damage
    Assassin’s Dagger +2 Con DC 14 or stunned for 1d4 rounds
    Rapier +2
    Scimier +2 Fiendfoe Wis DC 14 or 3d6 radiant damage
    Tralzog Book
    Tile of Invulnerability

02/01/ 848
    Going into the mountain caverns.
    Got a Stone Mephit to guide party through caverns and lead to treasure.
    3 Iron Shadow Hobgoblins = Giantfoe Bow

02/08/ 848
    The Blue Dragonborn Evoker Wizard read the Fiend Warlock Book, and was transported to Hell.
    He met Tralzog, and made a deal to get some interesting powers.
    He would collect souls that he and his companions killed in exchange for further powers and favors.
    Tralzog agreed, and gave him the ability to collect souls.

2/09/ 848
    During a tough fight with some Goblins, The Dragonborn made a deal to collect their Souls to regain some spell slots. However, the Kenku Undeath Cleric of Hades stole half!
    Wizard in deep trouble!!

02/13/ 848
    Met and made a Deal with Duergar (got some magic items) to drive the Stone Giants away.
    Captured Kids and used as leverage in negotiations.
    Stone Giant "King" agreed to leave, but plans to return in full force.
    Party convinced the Stone Genasi Diplomat (Eloquence Bard) to lead a rebellion against the Stone Giants.
    The Party acquired about 10k gold from the salvage of what the "Rebels" took after the Stone Giants left.

The party didn't have any major encounters once outside the Mountain Range.
    Out in the wilderness, In the middle of the night, a Figure in Full Plate armor with the emblem of the order of Monk's overbearing parents were leaders of suddenly appeared, and pointed at the Sun Soul Monk and commanded: "Go to Hell!!" and a Portal opened and the entire party literally fell into Avernus.
    Just as this happened, an IMP appeared and joined the Blue Dragonborn Wizard.

Decent into Avernus
    Day One: They found themselves at the edge of the newly sunken City.
    They explored a small amount, rescued a little girl from Ghouls and met Lulu, the Holyphant.
    They decided that they needed to help Lulu find her "Lost Friend" (Zariel) by locating the Holy Sword.

They went where Lulu last remembered the Sword being.
    The Party fought and killed 9 Hellwasps, and two members went down - but were quickly revived.

They went with Lulu and camped (Long Rest) and met the Tabaxi Conquest Paladin, who joins the party.
    Sadly, the Arcane Trickster Rogue needed to depart (RL) and Lulu made sure she got out of Hell safely.

Xidus

Spoiler: Hunting Xanathar = Thr - concluding at end of Oct
    Show

Spoiler: what would you make?
    Show

Condition: the PC does not start knowing they are after Xanathar, so pick things (like spells known/spellbook) accordingly.
    Tenth Level 64,000 Need 85,000

Abilities: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 08
    Maximum Hit Points.
    5 Uncommon and 2 Rare. 10 Greater Heal potions.
    2,000 gold: Can spend on Equipment and Common Magic Items.

Spoiler: Player 0 - Out
    Show

(Pc W) Kibbriss - Half-Orc Gold Dragonic Sorceress
    Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    Race: Intimidation. Folk Hero Animal Survival Class: Arcana Deception
    ASI (4th) War Caster (8th) Elemental Adept (Fire) ignore fire resistance

Inspiration

10 Greater Heal potions.

Uncommons
    HHH * Pearl of Power * Wand of Magic Missiles 100 charges
    Ring Lesser Invisibility (up to 10 minutes per day)

Rares
    Mantle of Spell Resistance * (Focus) Wand of the Warnage +2 Calling.

Equipment
    Ten 50 gp gems; Three 100 gp Pearls. 1,200 gold.

Spells
    Cantrips: Firebolt, True Strike, Light, Mage Hand.
    Mending, Ray of Frost.

(4 slots) First: Shield, Chromatic Orb, Expeditious Retreat, Identify,

(3 slots) Second: Misty Step, Hold Person.

(3 slots) Third: Fireball, Haste

(3 slots) Fourth: Charm Monster, Dimension Door.

(2 slots) Fifth: Immolation.
    (Pc X)
    Spoiler: replaced
    Show
    Brakken - Half-Orc - Fighter Battlemaster 10
    Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    ASI (4) +1 Con +1 Str (6) Heavy Armor Master (8) Martial Adept.
    (Race) Intimidation
    (Background) Soldier:
    (Class)
    Inspiration
    10 Greater Heal potions.

Uncommons
    Mithril Armor, HHH, Ring of Water Walking, Periapt of Wound Closure

Rares
    +2 Bastard Sword, +2 Shield

Equipment
    Full Plate, Metal Shield.

New (Pc Y) Drow Thief Rogue.

Replaced with (PC Z) = Vippy

Spoiler: Player 2
    Show

(Pc A) Breena Beren “Snipe” (f) Forest Gnome Gloom Stalker Ranger. NG
    Str 14 Dex 19 Con 16 Int 12 Wis 16 Cha 08
    ASI (4) Alert (8) Athlete
    Skills (Background) Athletics, Nature
    (Class) Stealth, Survival, Perception
    Language: Gnomish, Common; Deep Speach
    Inspiration

9 Greater Heal potions.

Uncommons
    Adamantine (Breastplate) * 2 Arrows of Returning * HHH * Bracers of Archery

Rares
    +2 Armor (Breastplate) * Cloak of Displacement

Equipment
    Explorer kit, 1 month rations *
    (Pc B) Balsar "Climber" Delmirev White Dragonborn Cleric of Palor (Healing Domain) LG
    Str 18 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 13
    ASI (4) +2 Cha (8) +2 Cha
    (Background) Folk Hero (Slave Rebel) Insight, Survival
    (Class) Religion, Medicine
    Languages: Common, Draconic; Undercommon
    Inspiration 1

8 G.Heal potions.

Uncommons
    HHH * +1 mace * Adamantine (Plate) * Lenses of Night * Periapt of Wound Closure.
    Rares
    +2 Armor * +2 Shield
    Equipment
    Full Plate * Metal Shield * Priest Kit * Explorer’s Kit * Holy Symbol (Focus) * 1 month rations

Spoiler: Player 3
    Show

{Updated Old Character}
    (Pc C) Royden Fulton V-Human Champion Fighter. LG
    Str 18 Dex 14 Con 18 Int 18 Wis 16 Cha 12
    ASI (H) Great Weapon Master (4) Alert (8) +2 Dex

Skills (Background) Soldier * Stealth, Intimidation
    (Class) Athletics, Survival.
    Languages: Common; Undercommon, Dwarven, Deep Speach, Elven, Draconic
    Inspiration 1
    10 G.Heal potions.

Uncommons
    Mithril Armor * Cloak of Protection +1 * Bracers of Archery * HHH *Periapt of Wound Closure * (Mug of Sobriety)

Rares
    “Mother’s Kiss” a +2 Maul * “Salune’s Blade” a +2 moontouched sword

Equipment
    Plate 1,500 * Explorer kit * 1 month rations *

(Pc D1) Lanetel Mormont Half-Elf (m) Hunter Ranger (Updated old Character) NG
    Str 16 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 16 Cha 14
    ASI (4) Duel Style (8) Duel Defense (+2 AC)
    (Race) Insight, Animal Handling
    (Background) Outlander/Bounty Hunter Athletics, Survival
    (Class) Nature, Stealth, Perception
    Languages: Common, Sylvin, Elven (Undercommon), Draconic, Deepspeech

10 Greater Heal potions.

Uncommons
    Mithril * Medallion of Thoughts * Ring of Mind Shielding * Brooch of Shielding * Quiver of Elona.

Rares
    +1 Dragonslayer [1d10+3d6 slashing] ** +1 Aberration-bane [1d10+3d6 slashing]

Equipment
    Half Plate 750 * Explorer Pack * 1 month of Ration

Spoiler: dPC Exits Stage Left
    Show
    Ruxnal Shadowthief * Urd (m) Thief Rogue
    (Stout Halfling (m) Xandal Featherlight) CG
    Height 2’8” Weight 27 Eyes: Hair;
    Str 06 Dex 20 Con 16 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 14
    ASI (4) Dungeon Delver (8) Lucky (three)
    Skills (Background) Harper Spy * Deception, Sleight of Hand
    (Class) Stealth (ex), Investigation, Perception, Insight
    Tools: Thieves Tools, Smith Tools. Water Vehicles
    10 Greater Heal potions.

Uncommons
    Smuggler’s Vest (HHH) * Decanter of Endless Water * Hat of Disguise * Amulet of Proof from Detection and Location.
    Periapt of Wound Closure

Rares
    +2 Rapier * Ring of Lesser Greater Invisibility (Attunement. Up to 10 minutes)

Equipment
    Dungeoneer's plus Explorer's Pack, Thieves Tools, Smithing Tools, Keymaker Kit. Everburning Hooded Lantern.
    Put up an Alignment RP Challenge in
    Evil?

Spoiler: Kobold Spy
    Show

10th level Thief Rogue
    pretending to be a (Stout) Halfling
    Has the Lucky Feat, plus Dungeon Delver Feat.

*Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location plus a Hat of Disguise, and Expertise in Deception, Stealth; Investigation and Thieves Tools. Does speak Halfling.

LG = Actually in the Service of a (Gold) Dragon, he still knows that he wouldn't be accepted as a Kobold by any of the so-called Allied Races, except perhaps Dragonborn.

CG = Inspired by some Freelance Treasure Hunters, he has joined the Harpers (FR) and just seeks to undermine the forces of both Tyranny and Evil, without caring about any particular order in doing so.

NG = rescued by some Dream Druids, he now works for the Emerald Enclave (FR) to protect the Wilderness, while still allowing towns.
    Not very fond of Big Cities.

LN = He learned fast that Laws make it easier to get things done, but didn't buy into the hate-mongering of the followers of Kurtulmak or any other so called Kobold Deities. Losing his status amount the Inventor class caused him to need to Forever leave the Warren.
    Only hides his Race because he'd most likely be killed on sight by most other Races. He's now a spy for Hire, and freelance Treasure Hunter to maintain a very comfortable lifestyle.

NE = Raised in the Kobold Warren, thievery was the only way to get ahead. Once he learned enough to actually be good at it, he knew he needed to leave, lest he be either made a slave of the current Chief, or killed.
    He now hides amongst the Allied Races, since it's easier to exploit them as an acceptable Treasure Seeker. Never forgets or forgives any true insult, and doesn't care how long it takes to get Revenge.

CE = growing up oppressed has made him resentful of Rules; and how other Races have treated him since had made him hateful of nearly everyone. Now, he tricks them into believing he's a harmless Halfling to better catch them off guard.

LE = While he prefers the company of his Kobold Tribe, he accepts the need to spy on the other Races, and learn their Customs and Laws, to help his people overcome them.

Spoiler: Factions
    Show

Bregan D’aerthe Nar’l (Spy) -> Jarlaxle
    Harper Thorvin
    Lord’s Alliance Jalester
    Zent Yagra Stonefist
    Emerald Enclave Jeryth
    Mirt is both Harper and Lord's Alliance, and known as such to both.

(7/18/19)
    12/21/2040
    Waterdeep: Dock Ward: The Yawning Portal.

The Dragonborn rolled for Insight (on the bartender) a natural One for the first roll of the Campaign!!

Mirt tells them that there are new problems in the sewers of Waterdeep.

Two Raids
    (1) possibly disguised as Drow that raided a guard station and took several items, mostly armor.
    (2) a noble’s house was broken into and a magic item was stolen. Details needed.
    He is willing to tell what it is, but would require signing a Binding magical contract to never tell.

Mirt directs them to the nearest location of one of the Sewer Factions that he knows about.

Hideout

10 Maw Demons (hard)
    Baddies got two 20s. Dragonborn’s adamantine negates another Natural 20’s extra damage.

Session end; Summery, a very tough fight, and our heroes retreat and find a safe place nearby to take a long rest to recover.

1,200 exp each. Total = 65,200
    Player One is behind, will she create a Backstory to catch up?
    Pc A = 64,000 * Pc B = 64,000 * Pc C = 65,200 * Pc D = 65,200 * Pc E = 65,200 * Pc F = 65,200 * Dm X = 65,200

(7/25/19)
    12/22/2040
    Missing Player 3 * Adding Player 1- Mirt directs these two to the correct location
    Player 2 = both PCs stayed at the nearest Inn. Xandal joins them again. 3 luck points

Return to roundabout. Scrying eye over door. Cleric identifies.
    Entrance Hallway Soul Monger (cr 11, mtf 226).
    Monger retreated through door, and tells the Death Kiss (cr 10, vgm 124) to attack
    Ranger casts Arrow Cordon (rather disappointing, especially as a 2nd level spell.)

Discovered Duergar Stone Guard (cr 2, mtf 191);
    Duergar Despot (cr 12, mtf 188) hard, 8850 xp

Death kiss drops cleric. Round three.
    Potion of greater healing from and on cleric by rogue
    Cleric up than Tolled the Dead, No effect on Kiss, killed Duergar.

Kiss hit Cleric = down.
    Immolation by sorceress, first on Kiss - then on Despot.
    Rogue minus 1 luck point.
    Fighter kills Kiss in round 5
    Rogue kills Despot in round seven.

All get inspiration.

(8/1/19) 12/23/2040
    Down we go.
    Roundabout = Heightened Fireball!!
    Door - Scry eye
    Soulmonger returns. Waves of Weariness. Phantasmal Dagger on Gnome Ranger.
    Pass w/o Trace. Monger disengages.

Party retreats. Rogue leaves Party..
    Soulmonger attacks again. Sorceress does Empowered Careful Fireball for 37 damage.
    Sorceress casts Dimension Door (modified) on party. 1,000 exp each

Long Rest.
    (8/8/19) 12/24/2040
    All players!!
    Quest = Rescue 6 y/o Noble Boy (Rickard Everfire) before dawn.

Balhannoth. Very tough fight!
    Led into a Trap that had eight CR 12 Drow, add the party was captured.
    Now located in the same area as Ricky. Only four hours left !!
    Player 1 PC 2 (Drow Thief Rogue) gets Helm of Teleportation and rescues party, but is asked to leave the group. New PC = Vippy Kobold Arcane Trickster Rogue.

(9/3/19) Player 1 leaves game, due to RL situation.

1/29/2041
    Party
    {Player 1} [A] Gnome Gloomstalker Ranger and [B] Dragonborn Life Cleric;
    {Player 2} [C] sHuman Champion Fighter and [D] Tabaxi (Bardic) Factotum;
    {Player 3} [E] Dwarven Samurai and [F] Tiefling Sorcerer (?);
    {Player 4} [G] v-Human Scout Rogue and [H] Goliath Storm (Sea) Barbarian

P2 missing, and P4 had not joined yet.

Party decided to go into Undermountain. And one of the LBEG working for Xan had hired an “Assassin” vPC to ‘get rid of that little annoyance’ that was the Party, after first finding and destroying Hideout, and now having entered the actual Lair prior to the decision to go Dungeon Delving.

Encounter
    [B] Cleric has a light torch in the back, [E] Samurai is leading the front, followed by his [F] Tiefling ‘manservant’, then [A] Ranger.

vPC Race and second Class and Subclass Rolled Randomly (in front of Players)

Half-Ogre Assassin Rogue 5th/Gloomstalker Ranger 5th
    Ambushed Samurai in darkness, and is Invisible to Darkvision.

Half-Ogre beat Passive Perception of Samurai, and attacked getting full effect of Assassin feature.
    Samurai tried to pull out and activate his Sunblade.
    But, vPC takes second attack and succeeds in hitting, but instead of doing damage, knocks potential Light Source out of the Samurai’s hands!
    Full round of fighting effectively invisible Foe, but Gnome Player recognizes that vPC is using the same Features that they are, and tells the Cleric to throw the torch into the area. vPC tries, but does not succeed in escaping.

1/15/2041
    Back after Xanathar
    10 zombies with Greater Invisible Necromancer. This vPC powns party.
    Short Rest - Gnome got necklace of see invisibility (attunement)
    CR 10 Illithid and 4 Greater Intellect Devourers (CR 10 each)

Very tough fight, and Samurai went down with Zero Int, and party barely prevented his brain being eaten by Devourer and becoming new vPC !!

1/22/2041
    Once again enter the (under)Castle Lair.
    But they were met by an Adamantine Animated Armor, and Xanathar joined the battle from hiding.
    The "Butler" was hit by a Fear Ray (failed save) and took off running, crying something about burned biscuits!
    The fight against the Armor, interspaces with Eyes appearing at random shooting Rays of different effects, was tough, and after victory - the Party straight up stole the Adamantine Full Plate armor (which the Samurai now wears!!) and beat feet out.

Will the Party beat Xanathar before he gets tired of dealing with these intruders and most likely simply retreats to his Secret Lair?

Spoiler: variant Star Wars = Thr
    Show

Not sure if anyone here is interested in this.

Party met the new Maul, and I wish that I could find an animator for that scene !!

No news to report.

Spoiler: Phandilin - Sat
    Show

(These are what are taken later)

Half-Orc Fighter (EK)
    Mt Dwarf Barbarian (AG)
    Half-Elf Ranger (MS)
    Stout Halfling - Fighter + Rogue
    Loxodon - Monk (Hand)
    Moon Elf - Life Cleric
    S-Human - Wizard (Necromancer)
    Half-Elf - Paladin (Ancients)
    Half-Elf - Rogue (AT)

Start 6/5/1212
    Party took job to find missing Gundren Rockseeker.
    Cragmaw Cave The Half-Elf Ranger snuck up the chimney and caused quiet death to the Bugbear “Chief”.
    The rest of the Party dealt with the remaining Goblins fairly easily.

6/7/1212
    After returning to Phandalin went into the forest and Fought a Harpy with a bow: Most of the Party was Charmed, and the Halfling (Hf) Fighter’s bad Bard impression helped to save the Party.

6/8/1212
    Cragmaw Castle
    This is where the Half-Orc Fighter kicked a door and killed three Goblins!
    Exploration took two sessions, ending with the party fighting the Bugbear “King”, two Hbgoblins, and an Owlbear. Also managed to kill the Drow Ambassador.
    Rescued Noble Warrior Sildar.

6/9/1212
    While in Phandalin: Rrath found a suit of Full Plate Armor at the Mining Exchange, and made a deal to retrieve a Red Leather-bound Book from the local abandoned mansion.

6/10/1212
    Mansion
    The cool part was how the Party got in.
    The Fighter is actually being run by a Marine, so don't be too surprised by some unusual Tactics.

Some of the Players were not able to attend (some are every other weekend) so the ones in the game had them do discractionary tactics and throw torches in the front windows to make the Bandits spread out.

They cleared the main floor by the end of the session.

6/10/1212
    In the next Session, they find the hidden spiral staircase to the second floor.
    They found the Red-bound Book Mystery Book in the Library, secured it.

6/10/1212 (Night)
    Dream Dungeon with Halfling Fighter/Rogue, Sia Cleric, and Polar Human Wizard.
    Ended up fighting the Minotaur, managed to defeat and got into the Treasure Room.

6/11/1212
    Cleared the Mansion Tomb and freed the prisoners.
    Very nearly a TPK from a Fireball, but Halfling Fighter used Action Surge to use Healing Potions to save party.
    Half-Orc Killed “Glasstaff”

The next Session led them into the Basement through the Alternate (cave) entrance.

They fought their way through 2 Bugbears and the Evil Mage dropping a Fireball on the Party!!

In the next Room, they fought 4 more Bugbears and then broke into the Workshop.

The Fighter stayed in the Hallway, and was surprised by another Bugbear.

The Evil Mage launched another Fireball and literally dropped everyone except the Halfling, who Action Surged to get as many other PCs back up, and the Eldritch Knight manged to hit the Evil Mage with an Acid Chromatic Orb and "killed" him.

The Party then cleared out the rest of the Basement with ease.

They have now created a Heroes Guild "The Hero Corps" and have recruited Myl'Rezaq and have given him some items (including Mystery Book) to Identify.

6/12/1212 Return to Phandalin
    Known problems:
    1) The New Hobgoblin Fortification.

The Guild actually did investigate these people. They found out that there is both a Warlord and Master Mage in charge of this place. There are at least 50 Hobgoblins, 20 Sergeants, 10 lieutenants, and 5 Captains in the Fort. Patrols of 20 Hobgoblins and at least a Sergeant are sent out at least one a week for supplies.

As a 4th level party, they were nowhere near being able to take this place on; so I had Azo - a Wyrmling Gold Dragon tell them to get more powerful before taking on these guys.
    The PCs told him that they were making a Hero's Guild, and he said that he would inform his father, and see if there was a way to work together. And gave them a magic Whistle to call him.

2) Orcs have taken control of Thundertree town. Numbers and related information unknown.

6/25/1212 the Group have repaired the Mansion and the created a Hero's Guild.

6/26/1212 SideQuest Bone Naga + Arminite (Fiend Centaur)

7/08/1212
    3 Chimera
    2 Hill Giants and Manticore

6/28/1212
    Ogres!
    Met the Gnome Patrol
    Fourth level

(7/20/19)
    The PCs then take on a Hobgoblin Patrol camped in a house; and the Eldritch Knight goes all Kool Aid Man through the wall and uses Thunderwave on them, nearly killing those that fail their Saves!!

Recruited Makrag Xeviz: Hobgoblin (m) Rogue (Arcane Trickster)

Setting the Scene: LMoP. Conyberry village, north of Wyvern Tor.

Dydrun Reltat Hobgoblin (male) LE Background: Soldier ** Flaw: Trusting of Higher Authority. * No Class, yet.
    Str 13 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 09
    IC “I still have vivid dreams of that day. The 2 hour march into the Abandoned Village was nothing.
    Lieutenant Halbid had the 20 of us set up camp in the most intact Hut, were were would rest while waiting for nightfall. Two were assigned Patrol Duty, and we relaxed. Less than an hour later an attack came from the least expected direction:

The east wall was breached by the largest male Half-Orc I have ever seen! Nearly seven feet tall, and wearing Full Plate better than what our Warlord has! Taking four strides into the room he speaks a Command Phrase and a wave of sound blasts forth from him, knocking four of the others against the far wall, where they can barely stand from their wounds.

Us grunts do our best against the wave of Intruders, but Halbid takes poison to escape capture, and I am the only one left. After a brief Interview (and a broken finger) I tell them all I know. But, instead of killing me, as I had expected, they instead offer me a position within their own paramilitary organization. Not seeing any kind welcome back at the Fortification, I agree.

My only fear is that KuntarSpell finds out my location with his far seeing magical Eye….”

Dydrun is now the House Guard of The Bleeding Hearts Hero Guild, based in the mansion just East of Phandalin.

Spoiler: OoC Info
    Show
    The New Hobgoblin Warlord Gurkak Bonebreaker #5, has successfully constructed within 3 days (with the Master Mage Ithek “KuntarSpell” (Hobgoblin M) and some of his higher Students casting multiple Wall of Stone spells) a new Stone Fortification named "Krud Keep" about two miles away from Tor itself. This Outpost is a bold move on Gurkak’s part, and Ithek is looking forward to being able to expand his spellbook with the easy access to the nearby (former) trade route. These Hobgoblins are a close knit group, and (mostly) trust each other.
    Spoiler: Hobgoblin Adopted!!
    Show

Dydrun Reltat Hobgoblin (male) LN
    Background: Soldier Athletics and Intimidation
    Flaw: Trusting of Higher Authority.

Str 13 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 10

Rogue (Arcane Trickster)

7/10/1212
    In the Mine
    Fiendish Skeletal Minotaur - Dwarven Barbarian takes Greataxe and gets cursed.

7/10/1212
    Fought a Stone Cursed.
    Hobgoblin Troop (10 Hobgoblins, Sergeant, Captain and Journeyman Mage)
    Only Captain and Mage escaped.

7/26/1212
    Castle (again)
    Hill Giant and 20 Worgs

8/06/1212
    After One Week of travel
    Orc controlled Thundertree
    Green Dragon Wyrmling was defeated.
    Orc Divine Soul Sorcerer (CR 6) managed to escape. Plotting revenge!!

8/17/1212
    After another Week of return travel

8/20/1212
    Finished Exploring the Phandelver Mine, unknowingly drove The Black Spider out.
    Gundren Rockseeker now runs the Mine with his two brothers.

8/22/1212
    Kryd Keep
    Made a deal with a Gold Dragon Wyrmling who Kills the Hobgoblin Warlord, and drives the rest out!

Some members of the party got some items from the Hobgoblin Master Mage:
    2 Black Steel Daggers to Sun Elf Assassin Rogue
    Black Steel Scythe (+2) to Human Necromancer

Party was tricked by Hobgoblin Master Mage when they attacked "him" (Illusion on Zombie)
    Had to fight 20 Suites of Animated Armor.
    Wizard found Secret Door, which Assassin opened to find the Treasure Room.

8/22/1212
    In Phandalin they decided to lure out mysterious raiders on the Road.
    7 Ettins!!

9/12/1212
    Attack of the White Dragon!!!
    A lot of the NPCs that were outside, were dropped by the Frost Breath Weapon.
    The Dragon then flew into town, where his Kobold Minions (with White Kobold leaders) were rounding up important people.

- I'll try to put in the battle later -

After the dragon was driven away, and all but two of the White Kobolds were killed, and the rest chased away;
    the Party hired local Dwarven masons to build a Fortified Location in the town for people to go to in the event this ever happened again. The Dwarves just finished the Defense Bunker, and the Surface entrance looks like a Stone Toolshed.

9/14/1212
    The Party went to investigate the disappearance of some of the Female Guild Employees, and are now exploring the Dungeon where they are kept for "training" in the Love Cult.
    This has the potential to lead into Avernaus!! (the book they bought for me.)

Azo

So I picked a place far to the East of it... and where a Golden Dragon might call home... Naturally, there's a bit of tragedy in this story... but it's to explain the father's view on humans, and why Azo should stay away from them (which you hadn't mentioned, but I thought would add some flavor to Azo in his "mortal guise")...
    As always, change what's needed...
    Enjoy!
    This is very nice.
    No need to change Halfling Identity.

Essentials Updated information.

No longer a player in a D&D Retro-Clone on some Sundays.
    It's ok, but playing any spellcaster is nearly pointless.

Sundays: Now doing a Birthright Campaign, alternating with Shadowrun.

Spoiler: Birthright
    Show
    10/2/19 - mostly preliminary World Set Up, and Character Introductions.
    Player 1 = Minotaur Celestial Warlock 6th

Player 2
    (A) Elven Princess Druid 6th
    (B) Human Kensei Monk (? Need to double check)
    Last edited by Great Dragon; Today at 06:52 AM.