New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Simpsons

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default The Simpsons

I love The Simpsons so much and I've been watching this cartoon since I was 4 years old. I actually notice something in Season 30 that I find it surprising.

Spoiler
    Show
    In an episode where God and St Peters watch to see who goes to heaven. Ned Flanders told the story of the Sunday School students that he was selling trampoline (before he was a Christian.) And little Homer Simpson was jumping a trampoline. This means that Ned Flanders is older than Homer Simpson which was very surprising.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Simpsons

Back in Season 10, it was established that Ned Flanders was actually 60 years old. He maintained a youthful appearance by living without vice.

Ned's age is revealed.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-07-01 at 07:54 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Back in Season 10, it was established that Ned Flanders was actually 60 years old. He maintained a youthful appearance by living without vice.

Ned's age is revealed.
    Oh yeah. I completely forgot about that episode.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post

Ned's age is revealed.
    I think that's the first time I really heard the word 'vice'. I mean, I probably heard it before, but that's where I got some sense of it. Was probably a while before I asked what it meant.

I used to watch the Simpsons religiously--never missed a new episode, even to probably pitching a fit with my parents, and watching re-runs a lot. I guess probably until I started college. So I haven't seen much of the last 15 or 20 years. I don't remember what age I was when I started watching it, but I was probably younger than I should have been to be watching it. (First argument I remember my parents having was if I, as an elementary school kid if that old, should be allowed to watch Married with Children. Pretty sure I was watching Simpsons too at that time.)

Part of me would like to get back into it, but I don't have the time (or full desire) to, and I've heard it got a lot worse in the latter seasons.

Did they ever have a half-season or several episodes where the status quo was disrupted by Lisa dating Milhouse? I recall a couple 'status quo shake-ups', like Maud's death, but I know they were rare.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Status Quo shakeups:

Krabapal and Skinner broke up.

Ned Flanders hooked up with and eventually married Krabapal which caused him to finally heal from Maude's passing and go back to being a good neighbor after being a fundamentalist nutjob for several seasons.

Krabapal died off-screen when her actress passed.(this was several seasons after she hooked up with Ned)

The Leftorium shutdown and Ned Flanders became the new Fourth Grade Teacher at Springfield Elementary.

Comic Book Guy got married to a Japanese Mangaka who was traveling America to do research and fell in love with him becuase of his unashamed honesty and sarcasm--in other words, she loves him for him, just the way he is, and it's adorable. (Stan Lee officiated the ceremony)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think the newer seasons get a lot more flak than they really deserve. Yeah, they never really hit the heights of when the show was at its peak. That's to be expected. It's still nowhere near the depths to which Family Guy sunk, and you could do a lot worse for half an hour's entertainment. I can't speak with authority about the absolute newest stuff since I haven't had cable in forever, but I watched a ton of Simpsons at my last job since the show happened to be on right when I took my lunch break. I'm sure it was all out of order, but most of it was post Flanders/Krabapal hooking up and all of it was good stuff.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Basically, when a show goes on for as long as the Simpsons has it starts to get a little stale. The New Simpsons episodes, for the most part, aren't bad so much but they're not as good as the best of the classic stuff.

Also, the Nostalgia filter is in place--people remember the good of the past on their own but have to be reminded of old stuff.

As I understand it, a typical modern Simpsons season is one or two really good episodes, a couple of medical episodes, and the rest of it's kind of okay.

when FXX got Simpsons syndication rights they marathoned every episode(including the movie) in order for 12 days straight and got record ratings throughout so the shows gotta be doing something right.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-07-02 at 11:09 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Basically, when a show goes on for as long as the Simpsons has it starts to get a little stale. The New Simpsons episodes, for the most part, aren't bad so much but they're not as good as the best of the classic stuff.

Also, the Nostalgia filter is in place--people remember the good of the past on their own but have to be reminded of old stuff.

As I understand it, a typical modern Simpsons season is one or two really good episodes, a couple of medical episodes, and the rest of it's kind of okay.

when FXX got Simpsons syndication rights they marathoned every episode(including the movie) in order for 12 days straight and got record ratings throughout so the shows gotta be doing something right.
    I've been watching The Simpson since I was 4 years old and they're still as great as the earlier seasons. I know that they pretty much did just about everything and they won so many Emmys for their hard work and effort to make this show hilarious. But I really doubt that they're going to go off the air anytime soon. As long as the voice actors and all the staff members (including the writers with limitless ideas that they can come up with) are still alive I'll keep watching The Simpsons.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-07-02 at 01:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

I haven't watched the show for half it's run now. I have seen a couple episodes from a few years back, however, and I, at least hadn't noticed any sort of quality dip.

The reason why I haven't watched it has nothing to do with a loss of quality, it's rather to do with me not having as much time to waste, or me wanting to find new things to waste my time with. If I watch The Simpsons, I would expect to be entertained, but I do know what I'd get by watching it so there's not much to be surprised by.

If I don't start watching it again at some point in the next couple of decades, I'll probably watch and enjoy the entire series once it concludes and winds up in all its 1,000 episode glory on a future streaming service.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

You also have to remember the writers don't care too much about continuity. It's a comedy and not a serious drama. There are a lot of examples to cite, but I recall an episode where the Simpson family is banned from the state of Florida. In a future episode they travel down to Florida because Edna Krabappel is nominated for a teaching award. Not to mention a handful of episodes where we look into the future. I think Lisa was supposed to be in college and get married in 2010.

Also...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...wasn't there an episode involving Homer building a dog house and a swear jar where Ned shaved his mustache? Like in the episode mentioned in the first post Ned grew it to cover up a scar, but when he shaved it no scar.
    Last edited by Magic_Hat; 2019-07-02 at 02:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I think a large part of the perceived quality dip has to do with the Lady Gaga episode a couple of years back.

It was one of the most heavily advertised episodes ever, and drew in people that had stopped watching the show for years.

It was also quite likely the worst episode they have ever done.

1 + 1 = 2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    You also have to remember the writers don't care too much about continuity. It's a comedy and not a serious drama. There are a lot of examples to cite, but I recall an episode where the Simpson family is banned from the state of Florida. In a future episode they travel down to Florida because Edna Krabappel is nominated for a teaching award. Not to mention a handful of episodes where we look into the future. I think Lisa was supposed to be in college and get married in 2010.

Also...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...wasn't there an episode involving Homer building a dog house and a swear jar where Ned shaved his mustache? Like in the episode mentioned in the first post Ned grew it to cover up a scar, but when he shaved it no scar.
    The Simpsons is pretty much the shining example of Negative Continuity. The backstory of all the family changes to suit the plot, the kids have been the same age for over 20 years, and the "future" episodes keep coming and going without actually happening when the year they're stated to be in happens. It's best not to think about it, because the writers certainly don't. I think Rater summed up the entire number of actual status quo changes in the past 20 years.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Best thing the Simpsons has done in quite sometime:

I wish this were cannon!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

I've picked up some more recent episodes, and it's definitely gotten better than it was around season 13 or 14 when it nose-dived hard. It's not quite as good as the first 10-12 seasons, but there was a pretty good stretch in the middle-seasons up until season 20-something that made the show almost unwatchably bad for me. That said, I've like more than I've disliked as of late from wht I have seen.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I've actually not watched a single episode in the last 20 years. Though I sometimes start thinking about watching the early seasons again.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Back at the end of high school and throughout college The Simpsons was on from 5-6pm every day. It used to be easy background watching while preparing supper. I watched it for years and can probably still quote episodes line for line (at least the good ones). I probably havent watched a new episode in the last 10 years or so. Im still buying the DVDs to have the whole collection but they’re sooo slow in releasing them.