The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management)

This is what I propose:

You get 100 goblins, plus your characters, plus a few special extras. You must find a new home for the tribe. Every month, you get an extra 10 goblins (goblins, apparently, grow up really fast). There will be a map, but you will know only as much of it as you can see from a given vantage point, or find out by other means.

There will be challenges. Each challenge may kill your characters - and may drain your goblin reserves too. Run out of goblins, and the game ends.

There will be precisely zero punches pulled. And there will be things on the map that will tear through your 100 goblins, leaving behind nothing but a smear and the faint echoes of screams.

For character generation, you will pick this guy, add +4 to one stat and +2 to another, and a character class of your choice. Sorry, but I do not GM anything I don't own, and I own very little, so it's SRD only. You will be level 1 - unless you survive long enough to accrue experience.

If you die, you make another level 1 goblin, and reduce the total goblin count by 1.

Challenges could be, say, a human village. You may elect to raid it, trade with it, raze it - whatever - and how well you pull it off will determine the outcome. Succesful challenges will yield ressources, and maybe specials. Failures will cost goblins.

And specials could be equipment, or allies, or the like.

Anyone game? I'm looking for 3-5 players, starting quickly. Say, next week or some such. Which may be unwise, this being the holiday season.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management)

Is SRD just the PHB DMG and MM or does it include any other documents?

If the first, then I would like to note that I find the idea of a goblin wizard very interesting and a high int charachter makes sense if we’ll be trying to overcome such complex problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Is SRD just the PHB DMG and MM or does it include any other documents?

If the first, then I would like to note that I find the idea of a goblin wizard very interesting and a high int charachter makes sense if we’ll be trying to overcome such complex problems.
    This is the SRD. It includes mostly PHB + DMG + some options and maybe some unearthed arcana?! I have no problems with a wizard. Just .. don't get attached. Not because I particularly intend to kill wizards - just because I expect attrition to be quite high.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

This does sound like a cool concept. Just one question, are you okay with web enhancements? The SRD isn't the only freely available 3.5 content, for example I like the idea of a Goblin Knight possible with the Wild Cohort feat for a mount. If you want to keep it stricly SRD I totally understand, but given the reasoning you gave behind it I figured I should aks.

Actually, another question. When you say "this guy", do you simply mean "you're going to play a goblin" or do you mean the actual stat block (so those stats in that order and with the Alertness feat as your fist level feat)?
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

What pantheon are we using?
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-04 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You know after a video I just watch it would be very interesting to see what I can do with a goblin tribe. I would be intersted but I would also like some more infomation. like can we pick our starting location. and how long will things take. like for example can we start off with a cave? can over time we recruit more things like tame giant spiders or wolves ?
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2019-07-04 at 12:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

WIP sheet Hekx
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-08 at 03:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'm kinda into this. Maybe make my goblin tribe like warhammer fantasy orks, but, you know... smaller and less threatening.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    This does sound like a cool concept. Just one question, are you okay with web enhancements? The SRD isn't the only freely available 3.5 content, for example I like the idea of a Goblin Knight possible with the Wild Cohort feat for a mount. If you want to keep it stricly SRD I totally understand, but given the reasoning you gave behind it I figured I should aks.

Actually, another question. When you say "this guy", do you simply mean "you're going to play a goblin" or do you mean the actual stat block (so those stats in that order and with the Alertness feat as your fist level feat)?
    All manner of things can be found online. I'm sorry, but .. SRD only.

I mean the this:

Goblins As Characters
    Goblin characters possess the following racial traits.

-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
    Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
    A goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
    Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
    Favored Class: Rogue.
    The goblin warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    What pantheon are we using?
    Um .. generally speaking, I go with: There are nigh-infinite gods large and small, such a profusion of them that almost all temples accept the worship of almost all gods.

And then there the Other Gods. There are nine of those. They are secret, and their names are unknown. They are not worshipped - rather, you 'trade' with them, if you can learn their names.

Pick any god you like. The Nine are ... not the focus of this game, but if for some reason you're hugely curious ... why not. Can't start out knowing about them tho =)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    You know after a video I just watch it would be very interesting to see what I can do with a goblin tribe. I would be intersted but I would also like some more infomation. like can we pick our starting location. and how long will things take. like for example can we start off with a cave? can over time we recruit more things like tame giant spiders or wolves ?
    You start coming through the northern pass, down from the frozen highlands to this valley. There's a whole backstory, but the essence is that volcano happened, shaman warned against the wrath of the gods, the tribe left.

Wonderful! Good job (not that I've looked yet)!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    I'm kinda into this. Maybe make my goblin tribe like warhammer fantasy orks, but, you know... smaller and less threatening.
    Um ... I did mean you're part of the same tribe. You don't get each yours.

Interesting idea though. Hm.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post

Oh, oops. Misunderstood.

Maybe I could manage the goblin military, then.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-04 at 02:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Goblins As Characters
    Goblin characters possess the following racial traits.

-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
    Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
    A goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    +4 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
    Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
    Favored Class: Rogue.
    The goblin warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.
    Idiot check here, this is as well as the +4 and +2?

Ah, mis-understood that too (part of the reason for the idiot check). Either way seems cool.

Anyway, here is WiP for Skimbibble, goblin of indeterminate gender and as of yet unchecked cowardice.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-04 at 02:37 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I could be down for this.

Edit: May we change stats around? If, for instance, I wanted to be a Druid, could I swap my Strength with my Wisdom BEFORE applying the +4?

In other words, are we using an array of stats we can assign however we please, then goblin racial mods, or are we given a fixed array?

Edit II: I'm going to build my PC under the assumptions that this:

Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.
    Is our array, AND that we're free to move the stats around. Since I'll be making a Druid, I'll DEFINITELY need more Wisdom.

Edit III: Unless I assumed incorrectly, Soz is made!
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-07-04 at 03:22 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Is there still room for this? Never played 3.5 before, but the game concept looks intriguing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Are we rolling for starting gold?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

15. - Top - End - #15

Oh, oops. Misunderstood.

Maybe I could manage the goblin military, then.
    If you can convince the other players to let you, certainly you can. I'll even refer to your character as Grand Marshall [whatever he's called] if you like =)

Idiot check here, this is as well as the +4 and +2?

Ah, mis-understood that too (part of the reason for the idiot check). Either way seems cool.

Anyway, here is WiP for Skimbibble, goblin of indeterminate gender and as of yet unchecked cowardice.
    Yea - it's both.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I could be down for this.

Edit: May we change stats around? If, for instance, I wanted to be a Druid, could I swap my Strength with my Wisdom BEFORE applying the +4?

In other words, are we using an array of stats we can assign however we please, then goblin racial mods, or are we given a fixed array?

Edit II: I'm going to build my PC under the assumptions that this:

Is our array, AND that we're free to move the stats around. Since I'll be making a Druid, I'll DEFINITELY need more Wisdom.

Edit III: Unless I assumed incorrectly, Soz is made!
    Yes, you can swap the stats around. Good question too, because I never thought to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by Morovir View Post
    Is there still room for this? Never played 3.5 before, but the game concept looks intriguing.
    Sure. Not saying everyone get's in, but do roll up a guy.

Are we rolling for starting gold?
    Um, sure. There aren't going to be a lot of shops, mind. But you can have gold, yes =)

16. - Top - End - #16

Meet Skog. He is ANGERY.

How do we determine starting equipment?
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-04 at 11:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Meet Skog. He is ANGERY.

How do we determine starting equipment?
    Hi Skog. Why is you so angery?

Um. In the usual fashion?

Hm, I decree thusly: You may all have a spear and a shield and a suit of fairly ratty studded leather armor. You can also do the thing where you roll for starting gold, and convert that into some starting equipment you like. If I was rolling a character for this game, I'd go for nets and rope and caltrops =)

18. - Top - End - #18

Hi Skog. Why is you so angery?

Um. In the usual fashion?

Hm, I decree thusly: You may all have a spear and a shield and a suit of fairly ratty studded leather armor. You can also do the thing where you roll for starting gold, and convert that into some starting equipment you like. If I was rolling a character for this game, I'd go for nets and rope and caltrops =)
    'Twas a barbarian joke.

How much of a backstory do we need?

19. - Top - End - #19

'Twas a barbarian joke.

How much of a backstory do we need?
    I figured. I just went along with it.

Write as much or as little of a backstory as you find fun.

On the topic of 'how much work should I invest in my character' I'd like to once again point out that I expect attrition to be quite unusually high. I would not get too attached to my goblin until he has at least levelled once.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Golds! (6d4)[3][4][3][1][2][2](15)

Backstory. Once upon a time there was a little goblin called Skimbibble who was afraid of everything, like a proper goblin should be. they learned to hide very very well because he didn't want to get eaten. One day they found a bow and some arrows and worked out to to use them to kill scary things from a long way away, which was very good they thought because then they weren't close enough to hurt them back. He also liked the idea of riding things because if you do that you are faster than people who don't and can get away from the scary thing while it eats other people. Skimbibble decided to get very good at killing things because dead things are much less likely to eat them, plus they could often eat the thing they killed which was also good.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #21

Golds! [roll0]

Backstory. Once upon a time there was a little goblin called Skimbibble who was afraid of everything, like a proper goblin should be. they learned to hide very very well because he didn't want to get eaten. One day they found a bow and some arrows and worked out to to use them to kill scary things from a long way away, which was very good they thought because then they weren't close enough to hurt them back. He also liked the idea of riding things because if you do that you are faster than people who don't and can get away from the scary thing while it eats other people. Skimbibble decided to get very good at killing things because dead things are much less likely to eat them, plus they could often eat the thing they killed which was also good.
    This is a perfect backstory - although it's worth noting that some dead things are highly adept at eating living things. One might say that's all they do.

Also, since we have what seems like our first designated wolf rider, I'd just like to point out that there shall be a plentiful (though not unlimited) supply of wolves. A wolf is, btw, an 'extra'.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Also, since we have what seems like our first designated wolf rider, I'd just like to point out that there shall be a plentiful (though not unlimited) supply of wolves. A wolf is, btw, an 'extra'.
    Can we buy a wolf with starting gold? I mean Skimbibble is afraid of wolves too but...
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hekx was a small runtish creature, who talked to the little vermin and crawling things. He would be friends with the crawling things and they would be friends with him, and when scurrying things ate crawling things he would eat the scurrying things. Eventually scurrying things led him to an old buried corpse field where the bigger and Helier crawling things came from and he found old tarnished scrolls there. Now he can make his own crawling things and much more besides.

24. - Top - End - #24

Can we buy a wolf with starting gold? I mean Skimbibble is afraid of wolves too but...
    As well he should be - wolves are natures bastards, and ironically goblin is the favourite dish of wolves. So the goblin/wolf alliance is a shaky one at the best of times.

Yes, you can buy a wolf with your starting gold, but I'm a little hazy on how to price it. Is there ... an official source?

25. - Top - End - #25

As well he should be - wolves are natures bastards, and ironically goblin is the favourite dish of wolves. So the goblin/wolf alliance is a shaky one at the best of times.

Yes, you can buy a wolf with your starting gold, but I'm a little hazy on how to price it. Is there ... an official source?
    Buy a riding dog? More calm, less likely to eat you, and actually has great stats.

Backstory for Soz!

Spoiler: Soz
    Show
    Soz was always weak, even for a goblin, but she was smart and intuitive. She befriended a young pup when she was growing up, and the pup grew with her into a big ol' doggo. She took to riding Soz Jr. whenever she had to travel, and learned tricks on how to help her get long.

Soz, on one of her travels into the wilds, found an old, tattered book. It was a book used by Druids, to help teach the new initiates their language. She started to read it, and felt an affinity for the words in the book, Pretty soon, she had mastered the language, even if no one else nearby knew it, and moved on to try the basic spellwork at the end. To her shock, it worked!

She quickly became a lot more respected, what with being able to heal others, and her young days of being weak and petty were forgotten.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If I ever get second level spells, I will spend the rest of the combats riding in on a man sized spider.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Buy a riding dog? More calm, less likely to eat you, and actually has great stats.
    Wolf is faster, better running!

If I ever get second level spells, I will spend the rest of the combats riding in on a man sized spider.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #28

That's a fair point.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

But they are stopped by ltttle things like vertical surfaces.

30. - Top - End - #30

But they are stopped by ltttle things like vertical surfaces.
    And suffer a deplorable lack of venom.