New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    This is good. Reminds me a bit of the CW's Arrow, but good. I'll make a few edits and pass it along to the DM. I appreciate the hard work evident in your descriptions, and the creativity inherent in describing a weird character concept. Nice work.
    Interesting - I was actually thinking more along the lines of Chult (is what I based it off of in my head, when I was writing it). But since it seemed to be a homebrew, I just gave it an exotic name.

Quote Originally Posted by Daghoulish View Post
    So, first off sorry for the very late reply. My brains been scattered lately and it's taking a while to get all my thoughts in a row.
    First off, I love the idea of getting her magic from watching the other denizens of the underdark. You didn't know this but one of the starting cantrips I choose was dancing lights and its fits so well. A little luck really brought that together and I had a good laugh at the strangeness of your story really fitting without trying. Also the use of their racial hiding ability was fantastic and I really like it being featured. The way out of the underdark was pretty believable too. Genuinely liked every bit of this.

I like Akra's bit, nothing much to say you nailed the character I made. Although I have to ask, who that bard is? Did you make them up or are they some know entity I haven't heard of? Nalos' section was much the same. Really great and I wish I had more to say but you really hit all the points I would want hit in an origin of their company. My only real thing is that I would change the name of the group, but that's more a personal preference thing. I prefer having group names be more gender neutral but that's just a me thing, maybe I should change it up.
    Oh, yeah - the name of the group is all up to change. I wanted to end it with her saying that they were an unbreakable group, so I just gave it a name.

As for the bard - he's not anyone you'd know - unless you've read some of the origins I've written (specifically on this page of the thread). I've used him to appear in a few people's origins to make a "Tawmis-Verse" as it's been called in the thread. :) So he's only known in this thread. :)
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #572

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Interesting - I was actually thinking more along the lines of Chult (is what I based it off of in my head, when I was writing it). But since it seemed to be a homebrew, I just gave it an exotic name.
    It's all good, man. I personally love the detail, and the first-person perspective. Do you have a process for determining character voice or do you rely on intuition?

3. - Top - End - #573

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    It's all good, man. I personally love the detail, and the first-person perspective. Do you have a process for determining character voice or do you rely on intuition?
    If the requester provides information for a personality - I use that information to let the character "speak" to me.
    Otherwise, if it's fairly open (just race/class/gender) - then I look at all three - and see what kind of personality comes out of that. Why did RACE become CLASS? What in their life drove them to that?
    Once I start writing the first few lines, some character backgrounds write themselves (I am just a messenger), some take more of a nudge. But it's never long before the voice of the character is telling me how the story goes.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

4. - Top - End - #574

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Name: Delsyn Corvos
    Race: Triton
    Class: Paladin of Conquest (Though he uses a pirate code instead of the book's code)
    Rough idea: 1. Captured by slavers
    2. Saved by the captain who was supposed to transport the slaves to sale
    3. Falls in love with said captain and marries her
    4. She is hung for thievery
    5. Attempting to end his life he is saved by a minor god and convinced to become his paladin.
    The Guardian is a minor god. "There's a legend of a man who lives beneath the sea. He is a fisher of men, a last hope for all those who have been left behind."
    I don't think I've written a Triton background before...
    So this was kind of fun to do...
    I left the Captain nameless - wasn't sure if you had a name for her already - but originally I had her down as Allera Searunner.
    I touch on how she becomes a little more "redeemed" making the tragic loss of her hanging more impactful...
    As always, I look forward to your thoughts!
    ===========================================

I have lived most of my life free.

Deep in these oceans there was nothing I could not do. I was not bound to the ground; I could swim up or down, side to side, as deep as I wanted, or breach the surface.

Like many of my kind, I was curious about the Surface Dwellers and their magnificent ships that sailed across the very seas we called home.

What am I? I am a Triton – and along with Merfolk, we often protect humans who have been cast or fallen overboard from the likes of Kuo-Toa, Merrow, and Sahuagin, to name a few. Long have we, along with the Merfolk, waged war against these oceanic races that thrive on destruction and chaos.

One night – a particular night where the Storm Goddess raged furiously – the skies were black with clouds that drowned out the light of the moon and the stars, and the tides were gigantic fists of fury slamming into anything and everything – there’d been a large ship I’d been following called “The Siren’s Wail” – which had taken several hits – and when a woman was washed overboard, her crew threw out a net to save her; at the same time I had gone to her side to save her from the wrath of the Storm Goddess. I found myself encased in the net as well and our bodies were pushed together and she stared at me in wide eyed wonder.

As we were pulled aboard the crew cheered; and I thought it’d been because the woman had been saved; but as they quickly jumped on me to restrain me, I could see other cells on the top of the ship with others who were imprisoned. This was a slaver ship. As they helped the woman up, they all cheered and applauded her for helping capture me and it became clear to me she was not just someone who had washed overboard, she was this ship’s captain.

As they took me away and threw me in a cell her eyes never left me. It’d been a week before the storm broke and I could hear the crew speaking about how much I would fetch on a slaver’s market to be an exotic pet of some kind.

The woman, a beautiful human with brown locks of hair that, once dry, pulled into tight curls; her eyes were a softer brown than her hair, approached my cell and whispered, “What were you doing?”

I placed my hand on the bars of my cage as I leaned forward and said, “Trying to save you.”

“Why?” she hissed in whispered tones.

“Because the Storm Goddess was furious… and when she’s furious she does not care who she harms or kills,” he explained, “all are susceptible to her fury.”

“Would you have still saved me knowing that I am a slaver?” she asked, leaning against the cage.

“I would have,” I replied. “I am not one to judge others. I saw a person in danger and sought to help them.”

When the ship arrived at the first port, many of the other slaves were taken, sold or traded for gold, services, food or supplies. I was not released to be sold, however. The second, the third, then the tenth port, and all the slaves they collected, were sold or traded, all save for me.

One night, as the captain passed, I asked, “Why have I not been sold? I’ve heard I would fetch more gold than all of the slaves you’ve already sold?”

She stopped and looked at me, and did something unexpected. She opened the gate.

I stayed inside my cell, suspecting this might be a trap – that if I tried to leave she would kill me for trying to escape.

“You are to come with me and I will show you why,” she said and turned her back to me and began walking towards her quarters.

I followed her – and what came next surprised me more – we shared an incredible night of passion.

As I laid there next to her, I turned my head, “But why?”

“You’re asking why?” she laughed. “Because you’re different. You see me with different eyes. You don’t see me as your captain, your captor, or even a slaver. You see me as a person.” She leaned over and kissed me again, deeply, passionately.

I became a member of the Siren’s Wail crew and widely accepted by the other crew members; there wasn’t a single one of them that I didn’t save in the coming weeks as we ran into countless storms, and at least one of them would be swept overboard.

A month later, the captain and I married out on the sea, and committed to one another.

This was not the life I imagined for myself. My presence slowly began to change her from slaver to trader. She relied more and more on the resources they’d gathered as slavers from previous trades, to trade and sell, rather than selling slaves.

However, while she seemed to change for the better, her past sins were not forgotten. A fleet following the orders of Commander Terak Steelhaven had caught up to the Siren’s Wail while she was at port, most of her crew out and about, and launched an attack. An explosion from one of the ship’s cannon’s struck the side of the Siren’s Wail and hit with enough force to send myself and the captain flying backwards, losing consciousness.

When I awoke, I don’t know how much longer, it was to a horrible visage of the captain – my love – hanging by her neck – as a warning to all other slavers, on the edge of the pier. Wrapped in fury I swam to the fleet, just setting sail into the sunset and climbed aboard the ship and managed to kill several of their crew before a large man plowed into me and sent us both overboard. The impact against the rail had knocked the wind out of me and I blacked out before I hit the water.

When I awoke I was washed ashore on some small island. I screamed at the heavens in unbridled fury.

I heard a voice, “Your heart is pure. So pure that it was capable of making someone who had lost their own way – following the light of yours and rediscover who they are.”

A massive watery figure appeared before me, made up of the ocean itself, “I am the Guardian,” he said, reaching out, “And I would like to employ you as one of my devoted. Follow my words and you shall find the peace that you once felt.”

I was in awe – in all of my years I’ve heard the stories, the legends - "There's a legend of a man who lives beneath the sea. He is a fisher of men, a last hope for all those who have been left behind."

These were the words – the lore – of The Guardian.

And now he stood before me.

“Grant me the peace I seek, and I am yours,” I said.

“Peace and vengeance shall be yours,” The Guardian whispered, “for Terak Steelhaven did what he did because his king commanded it; but Terak is a man of evil and vile much deeper than the very oceans itself, and it will be you who must find and stop him, once and for all.”

5. - Top - End - #575
    Pixie in the Playground

Name: Xan Albacores
    Race: Drow(Dark Elf)
    Class: Sorcerer(Storm)

Notes: Born on the surface. Four Foot Six Inches. Bright Yellow Eyes. Light Purple Skin. White Medium Cut Hair.
    Goals: Found a library, with all the mythical knowledge he will learn!

If you have any questions please ask away

Such a þorn in my side

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

I don't think I've written a Triton background before...
    So this was kind of fun to do...
    I like it. Only thing I would change would be him actually having him witness her death, but that's just a personal choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    I like it. Only thing I would change would be him actually having him witness her death, but that's just a personal choice.
    He doesn't actually witness her hanging - when he regains consciousness - she's already been hanging and dead.
    Makes it touch a personal aspect of - if he had been conscious - could he have saved her? Or at the very least died at her side?
    So he's touch with survivor's guilt.

But all of these are always free to be changed up (or completely ignored!), however the requester would like it to be. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Arron Oberon View Post
    Notes: Born on the surface. Four Foot Six Inches. Bright Yellow Eyes. Light Purple Skin. White Medium Cut Hair.

Consider this added to the list!

8. - Top - End - #578

BlackDragon

I've got too many Evil Plots and Villains going right now, so thought I'd see if you could come up with some Hero Plots just to kick the trend.

Here's something that I just added to the game, and I'd like to see your take on it.

Real Name: Elizabith Roadfork. CG. Half Elf Female. 5'2" 123# Silver Hair and Amber Eyes.
    Alias: The White Shadow. Class: Assassin Rogue 8th level. Background: Urchin.
    Skills: [Race] Persuasion, [Race] Survival
    [Background] Stealth (Expertise), [Background] Perception (Expertise),
    Investigation (Expertise), Insight (Expertise), Intimidation, and Athletics.
    Tools: Thieve's Tools; Disguise Kit; Land Vehicles.
    Feats: (4th) Dungeon Delver (8th) Skulker

"Those tainted by Evil shall perish. Legal technicalities shall not protect them."
    Seeks out and eliminates those that do harm to others.
    This can include those that supply the nerdewells

Let me know if you have any queries.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-11-04 at 07:45 PM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

9. - Top - End - #579
    Halfling in the Playground

i need help expanded on a idea
    Name: Jericho
    Race: Tiefling
    Class: Kensei monk( uses whips flavoured as chains)
    Background Marine
    Rough idea: jericho was the first born child of a noble human family and , they kept him locked up because of his appearance and after a couple of years being lock up he escape and he trained to become a marine

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Arron Oberon View Post

Sorry about the delay! Had an insane few weeks!
    Ordained a wedding this weekend for my best friend's son! (Absolutely epic! I'd ordained the wedding of my best friend's daughter a few years ago!)
    But - I am back! So being the sorcerer - and they get their magic from something - I tied it to... Well, you should be able to see what it is.
    I also opened up some mystery about your mother and why you're raised on the Surface World...
    Enjoy!
    =============================

I shouldn’t even be alive.

My name is Xan Albacores and I was, as far as I am told, found at the base of a mountain, next to a woman, who they told me must have been my mother. You see, I am not someone who should have been born on the Surface World – because of who – because of what – I am. I am a Dark Elf, and my kind are generally hated by the Surface World; and reasonably so, because from everything I’ve learned, my kind has often waged war, kidnapped, and even murdered people of the surface world.

I am only alive by the grace and kindness of a woman and her husband who were fur traders and happened to hear my cries as an infant. The woman – Meylynda – had taken mercy upon me because I was only an infant. She, unlike her husband, a bard by the name of Burad, did not believe anyone was born inherently evil.

In the small, quaint, town of Oakdale, consisting of only humans, I stood out, with my light purple skin, bright yellow eyes, and white hair. I was raised by them as if I was her own child – she had two older sons; Dayv and Alburt – who defended me whenever anyone came along to cause trouble. Dayv was the more rambunctious one; quicker to jump in and defend me with fists flying, whereas Alburt took more after his father, and seemed to be more of the smooth talker, trying to deescalate situations with his words.

By the age of sixteen, I felt something shifting in me. I began having dreams of something in the shadow whispering to me; yellow eyes gleaming in the darkness. For weeks on end, I could not understand what was being said, but one day – the words became clear. I distinctly heard the words, “My bloodline.” A figure finally became clearer – it appeared to be a black dragon – but not like Coal, the Black Dragon that lived in the marshes not too far from Oakdale. This dragon – though with black scales, the horns pointed backwards, and it seemed to be made up of shadows, rather than actual color.

By the age of eighteen, I was reciting spells that I had no idea how I had learned them… until one night, the dreams of the shadowy dragon – it was showing me how to cast spells.

One of the neighbors had seen me in the backyard casting spells and immediately panicked and gathered other townsfolk to drive me out of the town. It was all they needed to feed the paranoia into Oakdale, that I might harness some dark power for some dark god. My parents – they tried to fend the people off – but I knew I could not put my family who had taken me in – and put them in danger. I quickly gathered what little belongings I had and quickly fled out the back door in the cover of night.

Now, I travel from town to town, looking for the pieces of my past. Why had my own mother originally been killed? Why had she fled from the Underdark, risking her life? And what was the dragon that haunted my dreams?

11. - Top - End - #581

Quote Originally Posted by richardbob123 View Post
    i need help expanded on a idea
    Name: Jericho
    Race: Tiefling
    Class: Kensei monk( uses whips flavoured as chains)
    Background Marine
    Rough idea: jericho was the first born child of a noble human family and , they kept him locked up because of his appearance and after a couple of years being lock up he escape and he trained to become a marine
    The noble family with a Tiefling heir is always fun to explore!
    I used that as a reason to explain why as a Monk you'd be well versed with chains (whips reflavored) and why and how you become a "Marine" (Warrior type).
    As always, I appreciate an feedback you have!
    =======================================

I spent most of my life in chains.

I was born to a noble family and by the age of five my bloodline made itself apparent. Long ago, it’s said that my mother’s side of the family had made a pact with a demon of some kind, in hopes of financial success. A part of that deal required laying with the demon, who planted the seed for his spawn to be born one day when he was needed. As a part of the deal, the child – when born – could not be killed. It’d been generations since that deal happened – but it was a secret passed down generation to generation on my mother’s side.

When I “disappeared” – my mother had lied to my father and explained, with their crocodile tears, how I’d had a tragic accident. My mother even arranged an elaborate funeral, keeping the casket closed, saying the body was too badly damaged for an open casket, and buried an empty coffin.

For ten years, I struggled and pulled at chains to try and break free as my parents sent their servants down to throw food in my direction – because my own mother could not bare the sight of me.

When I had finally turned fifteen, one of my mother’s servants – a woman named Pellina – took mercy upon me and freed me by smashing my chains at the connection. She led me through a series of servant tunnels that led to the outside, giving me a small bag with food and drink.

I fled into the woods in the middle of the night with only the moon watching me. I heard several days later that Pellina had tragic accident, undoubtedly one arranged by my mother.

For a week I followed a dirt road, traveling with a series of others, taking safety in numbers. When I arrived in Winterstone, I stayed here for weeks, living on the streets. That’s when an elderly man took notice of me and noticed the shackles still on my wrist. I’d broken the chains off weeks ago with the help of a blacksmith I met on the road.

“Are you without a home?” the elderly man asked, his arms folded behind his back.

“I am,” I replied, “but I am all right.”

“Your appearance,” he noted, “Tiefling. Demon blood. Is that why you are without a home?”

“Something like that,” I nodded.

“What is your name?” he asked.

“Jericho,” I replied. “The name I was given by my mother and father. But…”

“They are the ones who cast you out,” he shook his head, “so you do not feel like that is your name.”

“Yes,” I acknowledged.

“Well, come with me. My people will not judge you for your appearance. We will show you that what you look like does not determine what you will become.”

Because I had nowhere else to go, I accepted his offer. He took me to a monastery outside the edge of the town and I officially joined the Order of Winter – a band of Monks trained to fight and protect the world from evil.

As I trained, I first learned to use a whip – but quickly found – my years chained to a wall made me well versed in using chains as a weapon.

By the age of twenty, I was ready to be unleashed on the world and set things straight.

One day, I may even pay my dearest mother a visit…

12. - Top - End - #582

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    I've got too many Evil Plots and Villains going right now, so thought I'd see if you could come up with some Hero Plots just to kick the trend.
    Here's something that I just added to the game, and I'd like to see your take on it.
    Real Name: Elizabith Roadfork. CG. Half Elf Female. 5'2" 123# Silver Hair and Amber Eyes.
    Alias: The White Shadow. Class: Assassin Rogue 8th level. Background: Urchin.
    Skills: [Race] Persuasion, [Race] Survival
    [Background] Stealth (Expertise), [Background] Perception (Expertise),
    Investigation (Expertise), Insight (Expertise), Intimidation, and Athletics.
    Tools: Thieve's Tools; Disguise Kit; Land Vehicles.
    Feats: (4th) Dungeon Delver (8th) Skulker
    "Those tainted by Evil shall perish. Legal technicalities shall not protect them."
    Seeks out and eliminates those that do harm to others.
    This can include those that supply the nerdewells
    Let me know if you have any queries.
    Since this is for an NPC - I kept this short and sweet. Explained how she becomes an assassin, but still be Chaotic Good.
    Left plenty open for what may have happened between the gap of years, if you wanted to explore that further...
    Anyway - here you go!
    ======================================

My father, Tauren Stormcaller, a Noble, had fallen in love and married my a beautiful Elven Maiden by the name of Elyiasia Twinstar.

When I was born, I feel like I could remember – to this day – the way my mother smiled down at me as she held me.

I was born into royalty and should have had a life of pleasure and joy.

But such was not the way Destiny worked for me. My mother and father were Nobles and garnered much attention, love and respect in the surrounding areas. However, in the shadows of such love there are those whose eyes see only with seething hatred and jealousy for something they believe is rightfully theirs.

And so, my uncle, a despicable man on my father’s side – and every bit the opposite of my brother – as if when they were born – my father represented the light, the good – while my uncle represented the darkness and the hatred – cornered my father and murdered him, then went and found my mother sleeping and murdered her. He’d been headed for my room when one of my mother’s handmaidens saw his bloody knife and knew what he had done – she immediately ran into my room and grabbed me and while I was only six years old – she and I fled into the woods.

It was only two days later when a band of goblins had ambushed she and I, killing her when she tried to fight them off – screaming for me to run for my life. The goblins never came after me, the deeper I ran into the woods until I collapsed.

I was found, near a trade route by a merchant who had feared me dead. He took me in and brought me to the town of Eagle Point – a town on the side of a mountain. Unfortunately, he wasn’t rich by any means so he had to leave me there in that town where at the age of six I learned to live off the streets. Seeing use for me, a local guild of thieves belonging to The Shadow Network, brought me into their fold and I accepted just to have a roof over my head and food, that wasn’t remains dug out from the trash, to eat.

I spent the next ten years as a part of the Shadow Network, learning how to survive. That was also when I learned the truth about the Shadow Network – how they used trained assassins – which they had been training me to do – to kill innocent people. I had been told the people that they killed were people like my uncle – who took things through violence and that the Shadow Network was used to try and restore order. I turned on them and left them and knowing what I knew began using my knowledge as counter intelligence to disrupt their assassination attempts. They dubbed me “The Phantom” or “The White Shadow” since they never saw me until it was already too late.

I’ve become good at what I do – kill those who would commit acts of violence against those of pure heart. Some would say there’s an irony to what I do – killing the killers – a vigilante if you will. But I’ve seen what those with tainted souls are capable of – I’ve seen how they destroy the lives of innocent people.

I will be the light for those who suffer against the dark shadows. I will be the White Shadow.

13. - Top - End - #583

BlackDragon

Since this is for an NPC - I kept this short and sweet. Explained how she becomes an assassin, but still be Chaotic Good.
    Left plenty open for what may have happened between the gap of years, if you wanted to explore that further...
    Anyway - here you go!
    I like it.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry about the delay! Had an insane few weeks!
    Ordained a wedding this weekend for my best friend's son! (Absolutely epic! I'd ordained the wedding of my best friend's daughter a few years ago!)
    But - I am back! So being the sorcerer - and they get their magic from something - I tied it to... Well, you should be able to see what it is.
    Now, I travel from town to town, looking for the pieces of my past. Why had my own mother originally been killed? Why had she fled from the Underdark, risking her life? And what was the dragon that haunted my dreams?

I love it! I'm going to a session soon!!

Such a þorn in my side

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #585
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Name: Cain
    Race: Half-orc
    Class: Redemption paladin
    Background: Soldier
    Rough idea: he and his human brother became soldiers together as a sibling rivalry, they were good soldiers but one day Cain got possessed by some supernatural entity, and went on a killing spree and his brother prayed to any god that could help him. and in the end lathender answered, say that the only way to save his brother is to become the host of the entity. he does this and asks his brother to kill him , in order to kill the entity for good, which he does and after that he goes on a journey of redemption

16. - Top - End - #586

Quote Originally Posted by Rbrookes1234 View Post
    Name: Cain
    Race: Half-orc
    Class: Redemption paladin
    Background: Soldier
    Rough idea: he and his human brother became soldiers together as a sibling rivalry, they were good soldiers but one day Cain got possessed by some supernatural entity, and went on a killing spree and his brother prayed to any god that could help him. and in the end lathender answered, say that the only way to save his brother is to become the host of the entity. he does this and asks his brother to kill him , in order to kill the entity for good, which he does and after that he goes on a journey of redemption
    This was kind of fun to write!
    The aspect of a Half-Orc... struggling against racism...
    And how in the end... despite his best efforts... he fails... but of no fault of his own...
    But the world will never know that!

I look forward to your thoughts or feedback!
    Enjoy!
    ===============================================

There is a notion that we’re bound to behave because of our bloodline; as if our past ancestry defines who were are and what we will become. No matter who – what race, what profession – everyone has the kindling of racism burning at the back of their mind.

As a Half-Orc, I spent most of my life dealing with those who always thought the worse of me.

My mother, a human woman by the name of Nallia Springrunner had been a part of a caravan that had been ambushed by the Red Eye Clan of Orcs and taken prisoner. My father, a peaceful nobleman, but a former warrior took up arms and organized a search party to find and rescue my mother, since her body was not among the dead who had been found near the ambushed caravan. It’d been two weeks, but he found her, freed her, and managed to kill the few remaining Red Eye Clan Orcs who had kept her prisoner. It was a few short months later that it became obvious that one of the Orcs had raped her and that she was with child.

My father asked if she had wanted a Cleric to come and purge the child growing within her, but my mother, being the loving person believed that, despite the circumstances and the father of the child growing inside her, that the infant in her was innocent and could be changed to be different than the father.

My human father agreed to raise and me and explained to my human brother, Bren Springrunner, that he would soon have a brother that he would need to watch after.

The choice to have me cost my family significant social standing, as they viewed my mother as tainted and would not want to invite them to social events where a half-orc might be present. Still, my family raised me to disregard the glares, sneers and comments others directed at me, and showed me compassion, love and caring.

My brother Bren always stepped in to defend me shouting, “We are brothers until the end!” But as I grew older, I wanted to be able to defend myself. My brother, already a Squire, had begun teaching me how to fight. My father, watching us, stepped in and continued our training, as he’d fought in several battles before settling down, marrying and fighting the political battles.

By the time I was eighteen, people of Ferndale began to accept me for who I was. Where I was, my brother was; and where my brother was, I was. We had become inseparable and people could feel the depth of our kindship, brotherhood and compassion. I was just beginning to change people’s minds about me when something tragic happened.

I had witnessed a man stealing from a woman; and gave chase, telling her I would recover her items. However, what I did not know was that it’d all been a part of an elaborate trap. I had been lured into that alleyway to step right into a Demon’s Sigil. Unable to step out of the Sigil’s Circle, three cultists, including the woman who had been “robbed” revealed their true selves and began casting a spell that trapped a servant of Orcus into my body. The Servant desired death for anyone and everyone I laid eyes on – with the idea that Orcus would capture their souls – and raise their bodies to serve his dark army.

The Servant latched onto my half blood – and ripped into my mind, tore apart my soul – and unleashed the murderous side that remains in check by any sane person – and I began a murdering spree. I killed nearly twenty people in the course of three days.

When my brother learned what had happened – and learned that it had been because of some demonic possession – he prayed to the gods for an answer – and it was Lathender who answered his prayer. “Your brother,” Bren heard in his dreams, “is possessed by a Servant of Orcus. I can help you put an end to the Servant – but I am attuned to Rebirth. Take the Demon unto yourself – and your brother, having broke free of the possession – must then kill you, for that is when the Servant will be at its weakest. Your brother will be reborn through your sacrifice.”

Bren found me and challenged me to a duel. What he did not know was the dagger I hid under my belt was etched in runes that would draw the demon out of him and into me as the wielder of the dagger. As we fought, it had been brutal and bloody. I knew his fighting style just as he’d known me – since he had trained me – and our father had trained us.

But when he plunged the dagger into my side – I felt it. Not the blade. Not the pain. The release. The demon had been pulled from me – but one thing became clear. I was not free of the memories of what I’d done – I could still see, feel, and hear the cries of those I had killed. That’s when my brother shouted for me to kill him – it was the only way to stop the Demon. If I delayed – it would grow in him and the murder spree would resume – I could not bring myself to kill my own brother – my brother who sacrificed himself by taking the demon into himself.

That’s when my brother threw his sword at me, just after I’d thrown my own down to the ground. I caught his sword – and before I realized what happened – my brother threw himself on his own blade as I held it. I felt the warmth of his blood as it ran down the blade and over the hilt. He touched my face and with his dying breath said, “We are brothers… to the end…”

I spent the rest of my days seeking redemption for what I’d done… I know it wasn’t me… but I could still see… hear… feel the screams of those I’d killed.

I begged the gods to forgive me… and one day, I felt a light fill my soul and purge the darkness away.

I looked up at the heavens and saw the clouds part and the moon seemed to be staring down at me…

The gods had heard my call…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-11-09 at 01:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Hi Tawmis! This is a multiclass character I will start playing soon. The theme of the campaign is that we are going on a long sea voyage to the Moonshae Isles. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

Name: Juno Goldcoast
    Class: Cleric (knowledge) of Selune 1 / Wizard (diviner) 2
    Race: Moon elf (high elf)
    Background: Sailor
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10.

Character concept: Selune is worshipped by sailors because stars and navigation are part of her portfolio. Juno provides magical support for ship and crew. She uses the mending and prestidigitation cantrips to keep the ship in top working order. Purify Food and Water and Create Water maintain essential supplies on long voyages. Her chaotic alignment means she dislikes being tied down to a single ship or crew so she moves around as she pleases. Juno has an owl familiar named Moonbird (owls are the favored animal of Selune).
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 2019-11-09 at 04:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Recently I did a new character, a halfling divination luck wizard (i hope fun with it).

I know nothing about halflings (Well, i know about Hobbits) and their lore in forgotten realms.

A few things about my character:

- Likes mysteries and puzzles
    - Wants to learn knowledges and lore
    - Holds an old book with horrible secrets (about gods, cities, important people or something like) that no one has to read it
    - Is very interested in other races, my character doesnt have fear about people, he likes to learn about them
    - Tries to be fair with people, and help who needs it.
    - Likes animals
    - Goddess: Yondalla

He has a quarterstaff, a book of spells and the old book)

(I think isn't necessary mention the clothes and physical appearance)

And about the backstory, I would like to see some about this:

- name and last name have history
    - He lives in the city with his parents, or just left his home to join the wizard's school in the city
    - is almost an adult (19 old)
    - Went to the divination school of wizard (Maybe, didn't finish it)
    - Something happened to his/her favourite teacher (disappeared suddenly and no one knows about, or die)
    - Some people bullied him/her because is a halfling (like the class bully, or some gang in the city
    - Did an animal friend (like an owl), and then, casted Find Familiar on it
    - Has lucky

Thanks you for your time!
    Last edited by ~Soul; 2019-11-09 at 10:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #589

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage View Post
    Hi Tawmis! This is a multiclass character I will start playing soon. The theme of the campaign is that we are going on a long sea voyage to the Moonshae Isles. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

Name: Juno Goldcoast
    Class: Cleric (knowledge) of Selune 1 / Wizard (diviner) 2
    Race: Moon elf (high elf)
    Background: Sailor
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Str 11, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10.

Character concept: Selune is worshipped by sailors because stars and navigation are part of her portfolio. Juno provides magical support for ship and crew. She uses the mending and prestidigitation cantrips to keep the ship in top working order. Purify Food and Water and Create Water maintain essential supplies on long voyages. Her chaotic alignment means she dislikes being tied down to a single ship or crew so she moves around as she pleases. Juno has an owl familiar named Moonbird (owls are the favored animal of Selune).
    This was a fun writing bit...!
    I explain how she has both the multiclassing... and why she's jumping from ship to ship...
    I also explain how the Owl comes to be... and serves almost as a guide...
    Anyway - hope you enjoy it! I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    Enjoy!
    =================================================

It’s a lot like flying – sailing, I mean.

There are no structures, city walls, people, even trees to obscure your view. Gazing from the edge of a ship there’s nothing but endless seas whose blue colors bleed into the skies. As the sun sets, the waters grow darker as do the skies, creating the illusion that it’s all tied together.

I was thirteen the first time I went on such a vessel. My family had been fleeing the Red Eye Clan of Orcs who had grown in population and brutality and hoped to find a new home on the continents. I remember, even today, gazing out from the edge of the ship and wondering what lied out there. There was potentially unexplored islands still undiscovered – and with it, who knows what wonders? Was there civilizations – even races out there – that the world had not yet met?

When we reached the continents, I followed in my mother’s footsteps and became a Cleric of Selune. This was beneficial because Selune was the goddess of Knowledge – and widely worshipped by sailors because of her relationship with the stars – which the sailors used as a compass and guidance during their long sailing trips. I soon discovered that the bloodline of my father also coursed in my veins as magic came naturally to me. I then took up Wizardry, and my father afforded me classes at one of the top Wizardry schools known as The Cosmic Forge, where I learned how magic intertwined with everything.

But the age of eighteen, the curiosity I had experienced five years ago – the oceans called to me. Against the wishes of both my father and mother, I joined a crew and set sail for the wider oceans. I could never seemed to find a crew I felt connected with – some were simply transport ships, like the first one I’d been on – some were merchant ships – none of these appealed to me as I was looking for that one ship that would need to rely on Selune’s guidance – and sail into waters and things unknown.

I’d been on a merchant ship that docked for the night at a port. The town was small, of little interest, so I ventured into the nearby forest. It reminded me of my home – the home I’d fled from because of the Red Eye Clan Orcs – and that’s when I saw a pair of eyes staring back at me in the darkness.

It’d been an Owl – the favored animals of Selune. I extended my arm and it came to me, as if it had always been waiting. The Owl then climbed on my shoulder and with that I turned back towards the town and as I entered, I heard of a ship headed for the Moonshae Isle – this interested me. The Moonshae Isles were ripe with mystery and, from what I had learned, even had islands ruled by giants. I booked passage aboard the Sea Cutter ready for what might come next…

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

This was a fun writing bit...!
    I explain how she has both the multiclassing... and why she's jumping from ship to ship...
    I also explain how the Owl comes to be... and serves almost as a guide...
    Anyway - hope you enjoy it! I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    Enjoy!
    =================================================

It’s a lot like flying – sailing, I mean ...
    This is great and gave me some ideas about how to roleplay her. I particularly liked how she both followed in the footsteps of and rebelled against her parents. It makes her an insider/outsider, which I think is always an interesting position to play a character from. And I liked the bit about the owl of course. Find familiar has always been one of my favorite 5E spells.

I also have an idea for a hexblade 1/bard x character. But I will hold off on asking you until we get around to another campaign and I actually play the character.

Thanks again.

21. - Top - End - #591

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage View Post
    This is great and gave me some ideas about how to roleplay her. I particularly liked how she both followed in the footsteps of and rebelled against her parents. It makes her an insider/outsider, which I think is always an interesting position to play a character from. And I liked the bit about the owl of course. Find familiar has always been one of my favorite 5E spells.
    I also have an idea for a hexblade 1/bard x character. But I will hold off on asking you until we get around to another campaign and I actually play the character.
    Thanks again.
    The honor and pleasure was all of mine!

22. - Top - End - #592
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I have one for you!

Alxaxir, Kilvarax (Wrath) (Kilvarax is his name, Alxaxir his clan name, Wrath his childhood name)
    Gold Dragonborn Berserker Barbarian (1 level in that sweet new UA ranger). Outlander (bounty hunter) background. Chaotic evil!

PT: The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.
    Ideal: Might - If I become strong, then no one can tell me what to do.
    Bonds: I want to destroy my overly good and famous family, that I might show that I am the greatest of them, and then take what I want, whenever I want.
    Flaws: I'm never satisfied with what I have; I always want more.

Basically, his family are renowned across the land as being goodly dragonborn, led by an ancient gold dragon who is the sire for most of the rest of the clan. They have the power to take what they want (especially big daddy guy), but instead, they stay away from politics and stuff altogether and only use what they need... AND they help weaker folk out all the time. They've built a reputation as being an amazingly good clan.

Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #593

Quote Originally Posted by ~Soul View Post
    Recently I did a new character, a halfling divination luck wizard (i hope fun with it).
    I know nothing about halflings (Well, i know about Hobbits) and their lore in forgotten realms.

A few things about my character:
    - Likes mysteries and puzzles
    - Wants to learn knowledges and lore
    - Holds an old book with horrible secrets (about gods, cities, important people or something like) that no one has to read it
    - Is very interested in other races, my character doesnt have fear about people, he likes to learn about them
    - Tries to be fair with people, and help who needs it.
    - Likes animals
    - Goddess: Yondalla

He has a quarterstaff, a book of spells and the old book)
    (I think isn't necessary mention the clothes and physical appearance)
    And about the backstory, I would like to see some about this:

- name and last name have history
    - He lives in the city with his parents, or just left his home to join the wizard's school in the city
    - is almost an adult (19 old)
    - Went to the divination school of wizard (Maybe, didn't finish it)
    - Something happened to his/her favourite teacher (disappeared suddenly and no one knows about, or die)
    - Some people bullied him/her because is a halfling (like the class bully, or some gang in the city
    - Did an animal friend (like an owl), and then, casted Find Familiar on it
    - Has lucky
    Thanks you for your time!
    I had fun giving this character a voice...
    The only thing I didn't cover was the Owl... but leave the ending open enough so that it could have happened sometime after where this segment ends...
    As always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
    =================================

“No one ever found the answers they were looking for by being content where they were; because the answers are never in front of you; you must go out and find them. And that means leaving the safety of everything you know, and in your attempt to find the logic in something, you must do what is completely illogical.”

My teacher, a Tiefling Wizard by the name of Barian Taur used to say that all the time. “In order to find the logical answer you must do what is most illogical,” I paraphrased to myself. I never knew what any of that meant; and to be honest, simply thought it was the words of an aging, raving mad man. Barian Taur was not exactly an elderly man, by age, but if only half of the stories he told of what he had done and endured were true, then it was easy to see that perhaps portions of his sanity had been chipped away and low lay discarded in the pits of his soul.

My name is Thelo Bolseiro of the Ferndale.

As a Hafling, I am proud to come from my family bloodline – The Bolseiro generation of the Ferndale were extensively known for being a key part in driving back the goblin forces that emerged from the Greypeak Mountains, just east of Southwood. The Ferndale, located just south of Llorkh, was the home of my family for generations – and despite our diminutive size as Haflings – and not generally known for our fighting skills – we were able to keep the goblin forces from marching on Llorkh.

I come from a long generation of well renowned warriors. You might even think I was one.

Furthest from the truth. At a young age, I was curious about gain knowledge, learning about the lore of the world; and the many mysteries it held. Civilizations buried beneath the earth. Life, called the Underdark, somewhere deep in the ground with animals and plant life never even seen – or imaginable – on the surface world.

Though my father disapproved of my choice of chasing the Arcane Arts, my mother was more understanding (which only seemed to infuriate my father further, that she was still to nurturing and it was well passed the time I stop drinking from her breast – not that I was actually milking from my mother’s breast – it was my father’s way of saying “man up” as the humans often say).

I enjoyed life at the Arcane Arts, studying the ways of Divination – when one day, while I had been speaking with my instructor, Barian Taur, a shimmering portal opened next to him, and for the first time since I’d been in class he looked worried. He quickly ran to his desk, unlocked a drawer and threw a book at me, telling me to never read it or my mind would suffer – and to keep it hidden and away from others – and then, a large demonic hand pulled him into the shimmering portal where it closed immediately there after.

Now, here I am with this book in my possession that I am not supposed to read (and let me tell you, my desire for knowledge and lore is chewing away at me!). I’ve searched his entire study to see if there was any reference to this book – the cover had unique enough markings – but there was nothing to be found.

Then I realized; he’d been setting me up for this day. He was literally telling me, almost every day, that the answer was not at the school – that I’d need to do something “illogical” and leave the safety net behind and venture into the world to find out the answers to what this book is… and who… or what… took Barian Taur!

24. - Top - End - #594

Quote Originally Posted by mistermysterio View Post
    I have one for you!
    Alxaxir, Kilvarax (Wrath) (Kilvarax is his name, Alxaxir his clan name, Wrath his childhood name)
    Gold Dragonborn Berserker Barbarian (1 level in that sweet new UA ranger). Outlander (bounty hunter) background. Chaotic evil!

PT: The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.
    Ideal: Might - If I become strong, then no one can tell me what to do.
    Bonds: I want to destroy my overly good and famous family, that I might show that I am the greatest of them, and then take what I want, whenever I want.
    Flaws: I'm never satisfied with what I have; I always want more.

Basically, his family are renowned across the land as being goodly dragonborn, led by an ancient gold dragon who is the sire for most of the rest of the clan. They have the power to take what they want (especially big daddy guy), but instead, they stay away from politics and stuff altogether and only use what they need... AND they help weaker folk out all the time. They've built a reputation as being an amazingly good clan.
    Thanks!
    Chaotic Evil characters (or any evil character really) is always interesting to write a background for...
    How deep do you go to show they're evil? Murder? Mayhem? Slavery?
    I did find your character's "voice" and hope it fits with what you're hoping for...
    I'd love to hear feedback!

It’s in our blood – the desire, a bottomless thirst for always wanting more. Every Dragon suffers from it – this is why Dragons make dens and horde their gold and trinkets.

But my family is different; not that I am a Dragon myself, but I am a Dragonborn with the blood line of the Gold Dragon. Gold Dragons – like all Metallic Dragons – are generally aligned with goodness. My family indeed aligns with aiding the good, helping the less fortunate and driving back forces of evil. They have earned a reputation throughout the Sword Mountain Regions for their kindness and aid; giving even from their own horde to help others.

In my veins – I do not share their ideals of kindness, compassion, or even caring. Like the golden scales adorned on my skin, the desire for gold clutches at my heart. But it’s not because I am a thief and I simply desire the money. No, my desires are more complicated… more complex. The more money I have the more I can pay for alcohol and other mind and body altering experiences. It helps sooth the rage and fire that consumes my soul with an unbridled fire.

Otherwise, I spend my time wondering how I can deface, tear down, and otherwise ruin my family name. It’s a curse that follows me; that when people see me they expect kindness from me; and all I want to do is fight them when they praise me.

I was born Alxaxir (“Shine of the Sun”) with the clan Kilvarax (“Bringer of Light”), but my attitude earned me the nickname of “Wrath” when I was younger. I was – and still am – always looking for that next fight. I challenge myself every chance I get and learn from every victory just as much as I do defeat. Everything is a learning experience to build upon; and one day return to destroy my family, their history and their honor.

When I left my family, I learned to live off the land, just as any Ranger might; using my tracking skills to hunt and survival skills to make weapons from the bones of those I fed upon. When a band of Blue Dragonborn ambushed me and took me to their Dragon Highlord, a female human named Kitallana Darksword, she swore she’d torture me for information.

I endured endless torture at her hands, and the once, glimmering golden scales now adorned in scars, is a reflection of what I endured. When she realized she could not break me she sentenced me to die; which is when I made her an offer to become a bounty hunter for her. As a Gold Dragonborn that hated my own kind, I could easily travel into cities and towns that she and her Dragonborn army could not.

She agreed, but assured me if I double crossed her, she would see to it that I would die a very slow and painful death. She began by giving me easy bounties to recover and I did so. She even tested me by having a bounty on a young human girl – a powerful mage by the name of Tasliana. It was not until I had gone and found Tasliana and brought her before Kitallana that I noticed the similarities between the two – she’d put a bounty on her own daughter, who had been working against her. I thought she might grant her mercy but was suitably impressed when she ordered her guards to put Tasliana in shackles and dragged her down to the dungeons below.

This is the life I’ve been leading for years; I remain in contact with Kitallana, still doing bounties for her when her messengers find me. But these days, I’ve been traveling, experiencing the world, and seeing what else out there awaits someone like me… someone who isn’t afraid to seize it just because I want it.

25. - Top - End - #595

BlackDragon

PM to Tawmis
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon
    This one is actually a villian:

Kuvon "Chosenson" - NE - Orc (male) - Divine Sorcerer
    Kuvon pretends to be a Shaman (since other magic is frowned upon) and doesn't hesitate to use Charm spells or even make deals with Fiends.

Equipment: Ogre Mage Toe Staff. 1d10 blunt.
    Can be used as an Arcane Focus, and acts like a Staff of Striking:
    +1d10 damage/charge. Has ten charges, refreshes 1d8 at dusk.
    -----
    Now the sole survivor of the Ebony Axes Clan.
    (Due to attacking Heroes, don't ya know!!)

Kuvon is seeking out Orcs that will accept his as their Divine Leader.
    (This is the part I'm asking about. Wasn't sure if you wanted another NPC in the PC backstory.
    But, I don't get to be a Player very often.)

Here's my Current Birthright Character:
    Mekmernox - The Kobold Conquest Paladin of Tiamat: Lv 6
    Out to unite the Five Scattered Kobold Tribes and then set out to conquer as much territory as possible on his way to claim the Throne and become the High King!!
    I'm going with "Draconic Heritage" for his Birthright Bloodline.
    This gives him AC 13 +5 dex mod = AC 18. With the potential of "thicker scales" at 10th level.
    He uses a Longsword two handed and has Great Weapon Fighting Style.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-11-16 at 08:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

I had fun giving this character a voice...
    The only thing I didn't cover was the Owl... but leave the ending open enough so that it could have happened sometime after where this segment ends...
    As always, I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
    =================================

“No one ever found the answers they were looking for by being content where they were; because the answers are never in front of you; you must go out and find them. And that means leaving the safety of everything you know, and in your attempt to find the logic in something, you must do what is completely illogical.”

My teacher, a Tiefling Wizard by the name of Barian Taur used to say that all the time. “In order to find the logical answer you must do what is most illogical,” I paraphrased to myself. I never knew what any of that meant; and to be honest, simply thought it was the words of an aging, raving mad man. Barian Taur was not exactly an elderly man, by age, but if only half of the stories he told of what he had done and endured were true, then it was easy to see that perhaps portions of his sanity had been chipped away and low lay discarded in the pits of his soul.

My name is Thelo Bolseiro of the Ferndale.

As a Hafling, I am proud to come from my family bloodline – The Bolseiro generation of the Ferndale were extensively known for being a key part in driving back the goblin forces that emerged from the Greypeak Mountains, just east of Southwood. The Ferndale, located just south of Llorkh, was the home of my family for generations – and despite our diminutive size as Haflings – and not generally known for our fighting skills – we were able to keep the goblin forces from marching on Llorkh.

I come from a long generation of well renowned warriors. You might even think I was one.

Furthest from the truth. At a young age, I was curious about gain knowledge, learning about the lore of the world; and the many mysteries it held. Civilizations buried beneath the earth. Life, called the Underdark, somewhere deep in the ground with animals and plant life never even seen – or imaginable – on the surface world.

Though my father disapproved of my choice of chasing the Arcane Arts, my mother was more understanding (which only seemed to infuriate my father further, that she was still to nurturing and it was well passed the time I stop drinking from her breast – not that I was actually milking from my mother’s breast – it was my father’s way of saying “man up” as the humans often say).

I enjoyed life at the Arcane Arts, studying the ways of Divination – when one day, while I had been speaking with my instructor, Barian Taur, a shimmering portal opened next to him, and for the first time since I’d been in class he looked worried. He quickly ran to his desk, unlocked a drawer and threw a book at me, telling me to never read it or my mind would suffer – and to keep it hidden and away from others – and then, a large demonic hand pulled him into the shimmering portal where it closed immediately there after.

Now, here I am with this book in my possession that I am not supposed to read (and let me tell you, my desire for knowledge and lore is chewing away at me!). I’ve searched his entire study to see if there was any reference to this book – the cover had unique enough markings – but there was nothing to be found.

Then I realized; he’d been setting me up for this day. He was literally telling me, almost every day, that the answer was not at the school – that I’d need to do something “illogical” and leave the safety net behind and venture into the world to find out the answers to what this book is… and who… or what… took Barian Taur!
    Thanks you for take your time doing this. I have read the background and I like it so much, I think that gonna enjoy the roleplay about this background and talk about the teacher ^.^

27. - Top - End - #597

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    PM to Tawmis
    I'm going with "Draconic Heritage" for his Birthright Bloodline.
    This gives him AC 13 +5 dex mod = AC 18. With the potential of "thicker scales" at 10th level.
    He uses a Longsword two handed and has Great Weapon Fighting Style.
    Consider this added.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Soul View Post
    Thanks you for take your time doing this. I have read the background and I like it so much, I think that gonna enjoy the roleplay about this background and talk about the teacher ^.^
    The pleasure was all mine - glad I was able to produce something you enjoyed and can work with!

28. - Top - End - #598
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Name: Lavinia
    Race: Halfling(gypsy clan)
    Class: Wizard/Bard
    Minor notes: Kicked out of wizard school considered failure. Banished by clan. Believes that fate is powerful but can be changed. She wants to change hers.

Uses Tarot to simulate divination/dice manipulation.
    Last edited by OzDragon; 2019-11-20 at 05:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Chaotic Evil characters (or any evil character really) is always interesting to write a background for...
    How deep do you go to show they're evil? Murder? Mayhem? Slavery?
    I did find your character's "voice" and hope it fits with what you're hoping for...
    I'd love to hear feedback!

It’s in our blood – the desire, a bottomless thirst for always wanting more. Every Dragon suffers from it – this is why Dragons make dens and horde their gold and trinkets.

But my family is different; not that I am a Dragon myself, but I am a Dragonborn with the blood line of the Gold Dragon. Gold Dragons – like all Metallic Dragons – are generally aligned with goodness. My family indeed aligns with aiding the good, helping the less fortunate and driving back forces of evil. They have earned a reputation throughout the Sword Mountain Regions for their kindness and aid; giving even from their own horde to help others.

In my veins – I do not share their ideals of kindness, compassion, or even caring. Like the golden scales adorned on my skin, the desire for gold clutches at my heart. But it’s not because I am a thief and I simply desire the money. No, my desires are more complicated… more complex. The more money I have the more I can pay for alcohol and other mind and body altering experiences. It helps sooth the rage and fire that consumes my soul with an unbridled fire.

Otherwise, I spend my time wondering how I can deface, tear down, and otherwise ruin my family name. It’s a curse that follows me; that when people see me they expect kindness from me; and all I want to do is fight them when they praise me.

I was born Alxaxir (“Shine of the Sun”) with the clan Kilvarax (“Bringer of Light”), but my attitude earned me the nickname of “Wrath” when I was younger. I was – and still am – always looking for that next fight. I challenge myself every chance I get and learn from every victory just as much as I do defeat. Everything is a learning experience to build upon; and one day return to destroy my family, their history and their honor.

When I left my family, I learned to live off the land, just as any Ranger might; using my tracking skills to hunt and survival skills to make weapons from the bones of those I fed upon. When a band of Blue Dragonborn ambushed me and took me to their Dragon Highlord, a female human named Kitallana Darksword, she swore she’d torture me for information.

I endured endless torture at her hands, and the once, glimmering golden scales now adorned in scars, is a reflection of what I endured. When she realized she could not break me she sentenced me to die; which is when I made her an offer to become a bounty hunter for her. As a Gold Dragonborn that hated my own kind, I could easily travel into cities and towns that she and her Dragonborn army could not.

She agreed, but assured me if I double crossed her, she would see to it that I would die a very slow and painful death. She began by giving me easy bounties to recover and I did so. She even tested me by having a bounty on a young human girl – a powerful mage by the name of Tasliana. It was not until I had gone and found Tasliana and brought her before Kitallana that I noticed the similarities between the two – she’d put a bounty on her own daughter, who had been working against her. I thought she might grant her mercy but was suitably impressed when she ordered her guards to put Tasliana in shackles and dragged her down to the dungeons below.

This is the life I’ve been leading for years; I remain in contact with Kitallana, still doing bounties for her when her messengers find me. But these days, I’ve been traveling, experiencing the world, and seeing what else out there awaits someone like me… someone who isn’t afraid to seize it just because I want it.
    Perfect!

Thank you so much!

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by OzDragon View Post
    Name: Lavinia
    Race: Halfling(gypsy clan)
    Class: Wizard/Bard
    Minor notes: Kicked out of wizard school considered failure. Banished by clan. Believes that fate is powerful but can be changed. She wants to change hers.
    Uses Tarot to simulate divination/dice manipulation.
    I had some fun with this; explaining how she came from an important family...
    And how that would lead to her banishment.
    Her idea of changing fate isn't blatantly explained; but her standing up against her parents (and their history) is that first step (in the event that's not clear)...
    =============================

I have spent my life struggling to find what defines the person I am. My family line, the Barrenhowl, have a long history of mastering the Arcane Arts. I spent what felt to be countless years trying to learn how to master the Arcane Arts because it was expected of me being a Barrenhowl. The pressure from my family was incredibly intense; even my clan – a roaming band of gypsies that made a living through art, tarot card reading, and magic (with the occasional pocket picked here and there).

I knew the magic coursed in my veins – I could feel it. But the truth of the matter was, that’s not where my heart was. When I heard a fellow Gypsy named Kaine Rollinghill play his lyre, each pluck of the string was like having my own heartstrings plucked. It had nothing to do with any form of attraction to Kaine, but rather an attraction to the music he was making.

When I decided to turn my back on the Arcane Arts, my parents were furious. Of course, being a Barrenhowl, they had a significant amount of pull, and one day called for the Gypsies Council and demanded that if I did not resume my Arcane Studies and thus keep the Barrenhowl name synonymous with Magic that I should be removed from the clan. Everyone had cast an uneasy glance, but again – my family has had a strong pull with my clan for centuries. They unanimously voted to agree with my parents, then turned to me to see if I would change my mind.

When they came to summon me into the Gypsies Circle, I took inventory of everyone’s sorrowful expression and stern expression of my parents and already knew what they decided. I stood my ground and explained I will not bend to the will of my parents and that I will forge music rather than magic with my hands.

As a part of our clan’s rules, a mage must use their magic to shunt me away – a spell that essentially teleports me in a random direction away from the clan. Ironically, it was my own mother who had to shunt me away – and she looked at me sternly as she reached out her hand slowly to touch my forehead, as if I might break and tell her I will practice magic. I knew once I was banished I would be forbidden from associating my own last name to myself because my family feels as if I've dishonored them...

Just before she touched my head, Kaine shouted, “Hold!” Racing up he handed me his lyre. And with that I was shunted away.

I reappeared near a mountain range that I did not recognize and the moon was already rising in the sky and darkness was just beginning to cover the skies like a blanket. I gathered some wood, made a small campfire, and began to play the lyre.

For the first time in my life, I was at peace, but curious what would come next…
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2019-11-22 at 06:36 PM.