New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Requiem for a Skyrim character

So I have been playing Skyrim on and off for about 4 years now. I'm not one that makes a ton of characters, I pick a build I like and focus on it.

He was a mage, maxed out on Destruction, Enchantment, Alchemy, Summoning, Smithing, with high skills in all magic and light armor.

I had created armor from dragon scales with double enchantments that allowed me to spam destruction and summoning with virtually no mana cost. Completed a ton of quest lines, lots of magic items, houses, etc.

You get the picture.

I logged in for the first time to play him in about 6 months, and he's just... gone. My stepkids also play Skyrim on my account, so their characters were there, but my mage with tons of hours logged is gone completely. No saved games, no hint that he ever existed.

I get that this happens sometimes, but I don't understand how Steam could lose my character so completely.

*sigh*

I've halfheartedly began a new Stealth Archer (heard these are the best builds, even though I luuurrrrved my mage), but I hate the idea of building all the skills and alchemy reserves and everything back up to where they were.

Just venting to folks who will feel my pain.
    Last edited by Varen_Tai; 2019-07-09 at 03:24 PM.
    Similes are like metaphors.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Requiem for a Skyrim character

You mentioned other people have access to your account. Is there any possibility they accidentally deleted your character somehow?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

You could check for the saves in the Steam Cloud or rightclicking on the savegame folder and clicking "Restore Previous Versions".
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    You mentioned other people have access to your account. Is there any possibility they accidentally deleted your character somehow?
    Possible, but not likely. They are pretty computer savvy teenagers and they wouldn't have done it on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    You could check for the saves in the Steam Cloud or rightclicking on the savegame folder and clicking "Restore Previous Versions".
    Oooo, gonna try that right now! Not holding out much hope because I have no clue how long ago he was erased, but it's worth a shot!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Varen_Tai View Post
    I've halfheartedly began a new Stealth Archer (heard these are the best builds, even though I luuurrrrved my mage),
    Stealth Archers are 100% the best builds for people who like Stealth Archers.

My, I like a Spellsword with a lot of Conjuring. I miss Morrowind and walking around in just clothes, then using a custom spell to summon daedric armor, weapons, and allies.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I can't find my Argonian Archmage of the College anywhere either. Nor my Orc Berserker. =/

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I can't find my Argonian Archmage of the College anywhere either. Nor my Orc Berserker. =/
    I can't find my Stealth 100 character,
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Stealth Archers are 100% the best builds for people who like Stealth Archers.

My, I like a Spellsword with a lot of Conjuring. I miss Morrowind and walking around in just clothes, then using a custom spell to summon daedric armor, weapons, and allies.
    That is certainly true. I meant I heard that Stealth Archers have the highest DPS, though I certainly didn't care about that when I made my Destruction and Conjuring spamming mage.

I can't find my Stealth 100 character,

I haven't had a chance to test the saved files I found yet due to a wedding and a child running away (safely found!) all in the last few days, I'll keep everyone posted in the next couple of days if it worked!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Varen_Tai
    I haven't had a chance to test the saved files I found
    Oh hey, my suggestion worked? Well, hopefully you didn't lose (much) progress anyway. I think that if the saves are corrupt you can still potentially fix them somehow.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-07-08 at 12:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    Oh hey, my suggestion worked? Well, hopefully you didn't lose (much) progress anyway. I think that if the saves are corrupt you can still potentially fix them somehow.
    Yay, this totally worked! My wizard has returned and just took down an elder dragon without breaking a sweat. It's nice to be back. Two dremora lords, Serana, and my follower, plus lightning storm that barely costs me any mana. It's a beautiful sight.

Now, I need to find Barbas again - I lost him somewhere and didn't finish his quest. He's handy to have along - the more indestructibly immortal followers, the merrier!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Was it in a cave? Broken Oar Grotto? There's a known bug where followers can get stuck in there.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Was it in a cave? Broken Oar Grotto? There's a known bug where followers can get stuck in there.
    It has literally been over 2 years since I lost him. I have no idea where I left him else I'd be able to go there and get him back. ;)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It has literally been over 2 years since I lost him. I have no idea where I left him else I'd be able to go there and get him back. ;)
    And now I'm imagining your follower just sitting in a cave as the seasons pass and "I Will Wait For You" plays in the background.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    And now I'm imagining your follower just sitting in a cave as the seasons pass and "I Will Wait For You" plays in the background.
    LOL!

And since Barbas looks like this:

I can also imagine he's sitting there thinking, "He told me to stay! So I am staying! Who's a good boy? WHO'S A GOOD BOY? I am! I'm a good boy! Yes, I am! I can't wait until he comes back! He'll tell me I'm a good boy!"

EDIT: Why did the picture not show up? I put this link in the proper brackets.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki...ile=Barbas.png
    Last edited by Varen_Tai; 2019-07-09 at 03:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You need to use the image's real URL, not the wiki page's picture viewer of the image.

Like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Check Broken Oar Grotto first, if you have it on your map. It's North of Solitude, I think. Don't take any current followers inside.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

It doesn't matter what you build, everyone eventually becomes a Stealth Archer in Skyrim.

My Orc Barbarian that used Destruction + Rage to double his DPS because Skyrim's code is funny like that? Stealth Archer.
    My High Elf Necromancer that was on his way to becoming a powerful Lich? Stealth Archer.
    My full plate-wearing, vampire-hunting, sword-n-board Redguard? Stealth Archer.
    My Khajiit monk that gave everyone facial reconstructive surgery with his bare knuckles? Stealth Archer.

It's quite jarring when the only way to actually progress in the game seems to funnel down to "crouch, hide, and pick off enemies one by one".
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    It doesn't matter what you build, everyone eventually becomes a Stealth Archer in Skyrim.

My Orc Barbarian that used Destruction + Rage to double his DPS because Skyrim's code is funny like that? Stealth Archer.
    My High Elf Necromancer that was on his way to becoming a powerful Lich? Stealth Archer.
    My full plate-wearing, vampire-hunting, sword-n-board Redguard? Stealth Archer.
    My Khajiit monk that gave everyone facial reconstructive surgery with his bare knuckles? Stealth Archer.

It's quite jarring when the only way to actually progress in the game seems to funnel down to "crouch, hide, and pick off enemies one by one".
    The only time I am a stealth archer is when I am sneaking out of Helgen and run into the bear. Then I shoot the bear with poison.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe to you, but Skyrim isn't that hard.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

While there is some truth in that, there are more ways than one of picking off your enemies. For instance, Illusion is a very fun way of whittling your enemies down to one, then you can finish off the last one with your choice of means.

I find my characters are mostly defined by what skills they avoid. It's completely possible to never use a bow at all. Or stealth for that matter.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    While there is some truth in that, there are more ways than one of picking off your enemies. For instance, Illusion is a very fun way of whittling your enemies down to one, then you can finish off the last one with your choice of means.

I find my characters are mostly defined by what skills they avoid. It's completely possible to never use a bow at all. Or stealth for that matter.
    Dude, I have modded Skyrim with Smilodon and Ordinator put in mods that put in hax enemies to have even harder fights, charge into every battle with a one-handed weapon while being a vampire in light armor, or fight with no armor, or go full unarmed and unarmored and I STILL win most of my fights and get through the game without that much trouble. even my stealth characters are melee ones who slit throats. while my only "archer" is a dwemer automatic crossbow wielder charging into battle in a full suit of dwarf armor killing people like a sci-fi super soldier in an FPS, they're not stealthy at all. most playthroughs I just sell all my bows because they're so slow they're useless to me.

I'm kind of convinced all you people playing stealth archers are cowards.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It is possible to screw yourself lategame by the usual Elder Scrolls "picked the wrong the stats to level". My first character was a cutthroat thief and I had to finish the game never alerting an enemy. If I didn't one-hit backstab kill and the alarm went off, I could not take any enemy that faced me. I wound up sneaking through the entire final dungeon and only beat Alduin by save scumming.

I always wind up as a stealth archer for a different reason. I love sniping, and I love stealth gameplay. So every character starts out as a noble attempt to be something else, but I inevitably wind up sniping from the shadows.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It is possible to screw yourself lategame by the usual Elder Scrolls "picked the wrong the stats to level". My first character was a cutthroat thief and I had to finish the game never alerting an enemy. If I didn't one-hit backstab kill and the alarm went off, I could not take any enemy that faced me. I wound up sneaking through the entire final dungeon and only beat Alduin by save scumming.
    I know that feeling. 8/10 of my thieves are hopelessly lost when I do a few hours of stealing, lock picking and sneaking because suddenly bandits hit like a truck and have nearly infinite HP.

I am always in complete awe how good Mercer is with his two blades when I finished up the thieves' guild though he should just be decent at attacking (and life leech), he is always one of the harder obstacles in the games. But I have yet to play a thief character without save scumming.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I'm kind of convinced all you people playing stealth archers are cowards.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. From where I sit, it's just common sense to avoid getting hurt if you can.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

You say that like it's a bad thing. From where I sit, it's just common sense to avoid getting hurt if you can.
    yeah in real life.

but you can action hero your way through all of skyrim without much problem. why bother with common sense in a fantasy any more than you need to?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

yeah in real life.

but you can action hero your way through all of skyrim without much problem. why bother with common sense in a fantasy any more than you need to?
    If all you care about is efficiency, I'm sure someone can easily code a mod to play the game for you. Ultimate efficiency: Beat the game while watching the Gilmore Girls reruns.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I have fun sneaking about, shooting enemies in the eye from 100 paces, and watching them run about like headless chickens trying to figure out what happened. I think having fun is an allowable component of playing games.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

yeah in real life.

I have a specialllevel of contempt for action heroes who make a habit of charging barefaced at the enemy armed with nothing but a twenty year old loincloth and a maniacal gurn. Nothing breaks my suspension of disbelief faster than a "hero" who's so confident of his own superiority, he doesn't even try for tactical advantage.

I want to play a hero. Not an idiot.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I have a specialllevel of contempt for action heroes who make a habit of charging barefaced at the enemy armed with nothing but a twenty year old loincloth and a maniacal gurn. Nothing breaks my suspension of disbelief faster than a "hero" who's so confident of his own superiority, he doesn't even try for tactical advantage.

I want to play a hero. Not an idiot.
    And nothing is more boring than a hero who faces no danger at all because they hide and never get hurt. well have to agree to disagree, especially since such tactical disregard is a matter of relative degree for what kind of combat you want to portray.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I like how veti and Kaptin Keen are questioning the logic and the intent behind Lord Raziere's preferred playstyle while justifying their opinion with "some people just like to have fun" and "willing suspension of disbelief", yet the whole discussion arose from the idea that Skyrim is somehow insurmountably hard to progress in if you don't play it safe from stealth and distance.

All the guy seems to say is that Skyrim would be really boring if that were really the case and every playthrough defaulted to stealth archer, or if everyone's sensibilities on what is fun or whether realism is important had to be the same.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2019-07-23 at 08:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

I also think that stealth archer is what you always become xD
    At least in my case that is how I usually would end up