New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Unsure about opening old miniature Box set

So today i found an Old Ral Partha miniature box Set called Journey to the Gathering it's sealed and never been opened and i haven't really found any info on it.

Does anyone know if it's particularly worth anything? Cause i'm dieing to open it.

And sorry i don't really know which area to post this in.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Unsure about opening old miniature Box set

An admittedly brief search shows it selling for between about $25 and $65. It would presumably be worth more to a collector if still sealed.

Of course, this pre-supposes you want to sell it.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Ooze View Post
    So today i found an Old Ral Partha miniature box Set called Journey to the Gathering it's sealed and never been opened and i haven't really found any info on it.

Does anyone know if it's particularly worth anything? Cause i'm dieing to open it.

And sorry i don't really know which area to post this in.
    I had an old FASA Battletech miniatures box from my childhood in a box of junk. They were the ~1980-1990-ish "lost" mechs. I sold each mech individually for something like $30-each, and made more than selling the whole box. Usually this is the case, but not always. Why pay $75 for 4 mechs when you can buy the one you want for $30? I often find that people are strange. I would buy the set for $75, paint the one I wanted, and sell the others. Basically folks are paying for saved time.

I am still hitting myself for not buying a Lego Knight's themed chess set for missing pieces. Each figure was worth something nuts like $10-$20 (the pawns I bet were worth less).
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-07-08 at 07:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

In my experience, whether it's sealed or not makes very little difference to price.

Unlike some other collectable objects, in order to be placed on display wargames miniatures have to be at the very least unboxed, so provided the set is complete, it's not going to bother a serious collector, and an unserious collector isn't going to pay any more for them anyway.

It might matter more if they had been assembled or painted, because bad assembly or painting is harder to undo and most collectors will want to have some control over the painting whether they do it themselves or commission it (albeit on the other hand genuine professionl painting can increase value).
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    It might matter more if they had been assembled or painted, because bad assembly or painting is harder to undo and most collectors will want to have some control over the painting whether they do it themselves or commission it (albeit on the other hand genuine professionl painting can increase value).
    Yes, other peoples assemblies and attempts at painting generally reduces value. Most miniature collectors don't display them in NiB anyway. Though am sure some old rare stuff having the original box in good condition may be some additional value.

Besides the fun fact old miniatures can suffer "lead rot" so in a way totally unsealed is a bit of a risk for the buyer.