New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Superstitions That You Actually Abide By IRL

I don't like it when the door is behind me. In any room.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I don't know if this counts, but sometimes I still hold Down + B when trying to catch a Pokemon.
    Honestly, I'm not sure if it's superstition or just a deep-rooted habit, but I cannot sit still once a pokeball has been thrown. Usually I'll hold B, sometimes Down + B, sometimes mashing A or B.
    Only if a Pokemon is being particularly stubborn will I refrain from pressing any buttons, and frankly that's as close to superstition as I get - I do it out of a belief that if I stop my irrational button mashing, the universe will give me a break and let me catch it.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure if it's superstition or just a deep-rooted habit, but I cannot sit still once a pokeball has been thrown. Usually I'll hold B, sometimes Down + B, sometimes mashing A or B.
    Only if a Pokemon is being particularly stubborn will I refrain from pressing any buttons, and frankly that's as close to superstition as I get - I do it out of a belief that if I stop my irrational button mashing, the universe will give me a break and let me catch it.
    I love how many variations of the pokemon superstition there are - some people hold down+b, some hold just b or a, and some people mash it repeatedly. Personally, the one I always heard (and what I can't help myself from doing to this day, even though I heard it back when there were only 151 pokemon) was that you had to hold b after the third "shake" and it would help keep it from popping open.

I also still avoid cracks, and I'm not a fan of walking under ladders, but that one is more just because I worked construction, and I've seen enough heavy things fall from ladders to give them a wide bearth.

I also have a bad tendency to talk to/attempt to reason with inanimate objects. Not sure if it counts as a superstition, but I'll try to psyche up or bribe my dice if they're rolling badly, yell at whatever object I stub my toe on for jumping out in front of me, or threaten electronics that aren't working correctly that I'll throw them away and buy a new one. Even though I know it's bs, I swear it seems to work with the dice and the electronics.

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

If you drop a penny and it lands heads up you have to leave it as a counterpoint to finding a penny with heads up being good luck.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Like most other instances of "Dark/Black is Evil" (black magic, dark elves, etc) in pop culture, it's probably because of darkness... You know... With humans being a primarily visual species and having bad night vision and all that.

It's only natural that over time at least some people and cultures would start associating "darkness" with "danger" and therefore "evil" and "death"... And in turn, that association would drip down on mythology and superstition.
    This one is actually more simple than you all think. Black cats were thought to be the familiars of (evil) witches and are still associated with witches in modern culture. Seeing a black cat was an omen that something horrible may be afoot.

6. - Top - End - #66

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't want to step on the cracks (seams?) on the sidewalk. Mostly I want to make the same number of steps per sidewalk unit.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Definitely the ladder thing with me. Some of it's common sense, but I also find myself walking around out of use ladders, and even an inactive crane hoist.

Also I utter "Gesundheit!" automatically whenever I hear someone sneeze.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Disrespecting an animal or even the weather leads to bad luck

this might seem weird but i just feel disrespecting nature is just a good way to get yourself in a very...unpleasant scenario

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElfDude View Post

this might seem weird but I just feel disrespecting nature is just a good way to get yourself in a very...unpleasant scenario
    This isn't really weird, since many countries actually have superstitions like that, especially regarding specific animals. In my country, for example, it is believed that storks are the peoples' guardians, and killing one brings bad luck to your house.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElfDude View Post

this might seem weird but i just feel disrespecting nature is just a good way to get yourself in a very...unpleasant scenario
    How does one disrespect an animal? Or the weather, for that matter?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Curse the sun for this blasted heatwave! DAMN YOU SUN YOU STUPID HOT JERK
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner offers one explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I've tried to actively break myself of the "do not open umbrellas indoors", but I still feel odd about it and generally won't.
    You see, umbrellas are bad luck no matter where you open them. You can't open them when you are inside. And we are all "inside" a giant closed system of air and water. As such, no umbrella can be safely opened on Earth without causing bad luck to wreak havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I don't know if this counts, but sometimes I still hold Down + B when trying to catch a Pokemon.
    Hitting random buttons once a foe is defeated to randomize the RNG with pretty much RPG with meaningful drops that have a .1% drop rate or something.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #74

I know that there is a very good chance no one will see their posts were quoted but I will post my comments anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Erythrina View Post
    I was born on a day that is considered 'unlucky', so I flip all the "bad" superstitions (I'm happy when a black cat crosses my way etc.) This way I only have the "lucky" ones
    I guess that's childish and it's not like I pay much attention to them. Still, these are some small things that make me happy, so why would I turn them down?
    I was released from a physical therapy clinic [in-patient] after 3 weeks there on January 13, 2012. That was a Friday. I now suffer from trisatritaphilia. [love of things of the number 13] It has been the start of a new life since then!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider583 View Post
    Mine is fairly corny also but I can't stand mirrors. If I had my own home I probably wouldn't have a single one. They just creep me out to no end when I look into them lol
    do you also have an aversion to garlic and running water as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakshaar View Post
    I'm in a profession where its common practice to never, under any circumstances, ever, say the "Q" word. If you do, or you hear someone else say it, you will have a crazy rest of the shift. I laughed at this at first, but I absolutely practice it now. I'll even get on to people for saying it around me. You can use any other synonym, i.e. calm, peaceful, etc. Just never THAT word.
    That is usually law enforcement or medical. I was asked by a Police SGT not to use "THAT WORD". Later on about 2 years later, I was doing volunteer service at the local V.A.M.C. in the cat scat dept., when I commented how the ER had been Q****. Oh the ruckus I started by the innocent comment .. .. .. .. ..

How does one disrespect an animal?
    you ever see any one kick or other wise accost an animal? What about people who would shot a dog with a bb gun. I did, and got bit on the bum. served me right.

As for knocking on wood, I do so, when the wood is a door and I wish to politely see if anyone is home.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here