The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default 4e D&D, with or without templates

I want to play in a 4e game where you get an NPC class template or one of the monster templates from the DMG (or DMGII, DragMag, etc.) in addition to the standard race/class/theme/etc.
    I’m also up for a feat every level, if the GM is up for it.
    Anyone interested? Want to try?
    Edit: And if someone wants to GM, please pick me! Pretty please.
    I don’t require the template thing, but I think it’d be fun.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-07 at 08:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: 4e D&D, but with templates

I'm recruiting for a mixed edition game that sorta fits part of what you want, if you squint...

Check out Dr. Ivo's Warforged. You can play a 4e warforged or iron guardian (dog) with a chance of gaining a feat (like power) every level.
    General purpose Avengers: Endgame and G.O.T 8.3 spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

Default Re: 4e D&D, but with templates

It actually was what made me go, “oh yeah, I want to play some 4e games too”.
    However, I don’t quite think that game is what I’m looking for. I’m too spoiled to building my character with whatever material I feel like, and am often turned off by creation restrictions even if they end up making for good narrative and balanced mechanics. It’s my achilles heel.
    I mean, I’m up for a normal 4e game, I don’t need the templates. But I’m not feeling a warforged at the moment, and I’m definitely wanting to play an arcane castery type character (without needing to hunt down things to capture).
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-07 at 03:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: 4e D&D, with or without templates

Glad I'm being inspiring.
    General purpose Avengers: Endgame and G.O.T 8.3 spoiler.

Spoiler:
    Show
    <The short Stark pulls a slick move to get the weapon to the other hand, then with one final stroke disintegrates the Big Bad and takes out his army. >

]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd love me some 4E as well.

Though a few questions to throw your way:
    What medium were you thinking of? PbP or voice?
    What sort of challenge were you looking for?
    How long of a game were you hoping for?
    How big of a group would you prefer?
    Are you looking at a pre-made module or a home made game?
    On a scale of down to earth vs epic where do you stand?

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost49X View Post
    I'd love me some 4E as well.

Though a few questions to throw your way:
    What medium were you thinking of? PbP or voice?
    What sort of challenge were you looking for?
    How long of a game were you hoping for?
    How big of a group would you prefer?
    Are you looking at a pre-made module or a home made game?
    On a scale of down to earth vs epic where do you stand?
    Play by post for sure—
    High challenge—
    As long as somebody will run it, I’d even love playing at level 30 for a while if possible—
    Probably only one or two PCs aside from myself, to make up for the extra power—
    I don’t mind pre-made or home game, either way works—
    I think I’d like the world to be relatively down-to-Earth but the villains and heroes to be epic in caliber (also, I have a huge fondness for minion waves in any game I play in, whether I am a PC or GM)—

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    Play by post for sure—
    High challenge—
    As long as somebody will run it, I’d even love playing at level 30 for a while if possible—
    Probably only one or two PCs aside from myself, to make up for the extra power—
    I don’t mind pre-made or home game, either way works—
    I think I’d like the world to be relatively down-to-Earth but the villains and heroes to be epic in caliber (also, I have a huge fondness for minion waves in any game I play in, whether I am a PC or GM)—
    PBP is great when you can split the party, less so when you can't especially if the system is designed to have everyone stay together. While some full party combat can be tolerated in PBP, it tends to drag on. The more people the slower it gets.
    Alternatively how do you feel if every player gets to control more than one PC? I haven't tried this yet but having to wait on less people to post may end up speeding up combat.
    When I talk about down to earth vs epic it's usually the style of plot more so than the power level. Down to earth would have the heroes deal with typical plots, monsters attacking the village or villains planning an assassination. On the other hand epic is more reality warping or world shattering disasters. Either end of those scales can be done at any level or power level, one is just more extraordinary situations.
    I also love minion waves.

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Always down for 4E. :)

9. - Top - End - #9

Chimera

PBP is great when you can split the party, less so when you can't especially if the system is designed to have everyone stay together. While some full party combat can be tolerated in PBP, it tends to drag on. The more people the slower it gets.
    Alternatively how do you feel if every player gets to control more than one PC? I haven't tried this yet but having to wait on less people to post may end up speeding up combat.
    When I talk about down to earth vs epic it's usually the style of plot more so than the power level. Down to earth would have the heroes deal with typical plots, monsters attacking the village or villains planning an assassination. On the other hand epic is more reality warping or world shattering disasters. Either end of those scales can be done at any level or power level, one is just more extraordinary situations.
    I also love minion waves.
    I can only do PbP because of scheduling — I never get a sizable chunk of time I can dedicate to a D&D session.
    I am fine with multiple PCs, that’d be pretty cool.
    Regarding plots and such as you describe, I don’t have a preference as long as I get to see a lot of cool monsters!
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-23 at 08:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I can only do PbP because of scheduling — I never get a sizable chunk of time I can dedicate to a D&D session.
    I am fine with multiple PCs, that’d be pretty cool.
    Regarding plots and such as you describe, I don’t have a preference as long as I get to see a lot of cool monsters!
    I will do some brainstorming and come up with a pitch.
    I have yet to decide on the amount of PCs per player but that will probably depend on the amount of players who show interest. It will probably be 2 to 3 characters per player.

11. - Top - End - #11

Chimera

I will do some brainstorming and come up with a pitch.
    I have yet to decide on the amount of PCs per player but that will probably depend on the amount of players who show interest. It will probably be 2 to 3 characters per player.
    Yay!

12. - Top - End - #12

RedKnightGirl

Also a huge 4e fan here. I was thinking of offering to GM sometime in the future since they seem in short supply. I'm a little tapped out at the moment but if things slow down in the other games I'm running, I want 4e to be my next game I run. I too have a hard time getting time for real time games, but I was not sure how well 4e works in pbp due to how common interrupts are.

But yeah I've really been craving the system again.

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    Also a huge 4e fan here. I was thinking of offering to GM sometime in the future since they seem in short supply. I'm a little tapped out at the moment but if things slow down in the other games I'm running, I want 4e to be my next game I run. I too have a hard time getting time for real time games, but I was not sure how well 4e works in pbp due to how common interrupts are.

Cool! Good to see more prospective GMs for the system!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post

PBP isn't the best for 4E indeed. But it's been done before and it certainly isn't the worse system for PBP.
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-07-24 at 04:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
      • D&D 4E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
      • Stardard fantasy homebrew setting, I'll be submitting several ideas for discussion.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
      • 2 to 3 players, each with 3 characters. If we get a 4th player it'll be 2 characters each.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
      • OOTS pbp

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
      • level 1, I haven't played 4E in years so starting low will let me adapt.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
      • Each character will have the standard starting funds.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
      • No homebrew, avoid netbuilding. I'd also prefer if individual players didn't have multiple characters with the same role.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
      • No homebrew, nothing that would make me want to face palm. No PC Minotaurs

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
      • 25 Point buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
      • Standard 4E 5 alignment point sounds good to me. Unless players want to use the 9 point alignment common to other editions.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
      • Multi-class feats sure, hybriding no.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
      • Rolls will be done in the OOC thread in the forum. I might roll some stuff outside of it unless the players want me to roll openly for every thing.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
      • Slightly increased point buy

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
      • A quick description is more important than a lengthy background. Players may submit backgrounds if they want.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
      • Combat is the easiest thing to include, if players want, puzzles, intrigue or roleplaying let me know and I'll make an effort. (it's not going to be completely devoid of Roleplaying though)

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
      • No homebrew, Cite your resources so I can look them up. Ask permission for Dragon Magazine stuff.

If players want something different I'm willing to consider a few changes too.
    As described in the questions, I'm going to write up some quick setting concepts and we can discuss which one we want.

16. - Top - End - #16

RedKnightGirl

I may throw in an app. I have as many player concepts there are days in a year. Missing out on hybrids is understandable. I like a handful of combinations, but I understand that it's tricky to get right.

17. - Top - End - #17

Planetar

I'm ok with everything you've posted, but how does 3 characters for each PC work as a party? That makes a six person party which still seems a little large. 3 characters also seems like a lot to manage. 2 characters per PC seems a little more sustainable.

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

Alright! Sweet! Will come up with my character concepts soon

Edit: I know I want to make a magic missile charge build for one of my characters
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-24 at 09:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    I'm ok with everything you've posted, but how does 3 characters for each PC work as a party? That makes a six person party which still seems a little large. 3 characters also seems like a lot to manage. 2 characters per PC seems a little more sustainable.
    Talking about multiple characters got me interested in trying a large party. 3 Characters each would make either 6 or 9 heroes for the party depending on 2 or 3 players. If we got 4 players I'd stick to 2 characters per player as there are limits to how ludicrous I'd make this experiment.

20. - Top - End - #20

Lightbulb Re: 4e D&D, with or without templates

Here are two ideas, in both the theme of good vs evil will be present though it might not be apparent by this small pitch. Both are open for discussion though the one I go with is not so much going to vote for but rather which I think both inspires me the most and works best with the characters players submit.

Spoiler: Twilight Existence
    Show
    Centuries ago the gods of light and darkness fought a great war that threatened to engulf all of creation. The resulting collateral damage was apocalyptic and civilization all but disappeared, the sun stopped rising and fortified towns protected by powerful wards are all that survived, with only a fraction of their previous population. Those living outside the protection of such settlements became prey to the dark beasts and horrors that increasingly stalked the countryside. Ties between settlements slowly disappeared one by one as their wards weakened or the lack of food took its toll.

Guidance from the gods has been absent as their divine touch upon the world grew more and more scarce. Less and less people are born with the spark that allows them to channel divine power and people fear that the gods themselves are dying. Supplies are dwindling and the town leadership is increasingly desperate. Soon they will be forced to exile part of the population to save the rest. Though before that, the head of the community decided to send volunteers outside to explore, find a solution and maybe re-establish links with other towns.

Spoiler: Ruins of Mystery
    Show
    Centuries ago the world was a paradise of magic and technology, legends tell of the incredible artefacts and mortal exploits from back then. The reason why the gods chose to bury the old world varies by area and culture. Some say it was divine punishment for mortal arrogance, others say it was because the mortal races had strayed from their path. Regardless, it is said that the earth trembled with their wrath and fire burst from the ground to consume and whole cities were buried.

Though they lost much of their knowledge and technology, civilization survived and returned to a more simple lifestyle as they once more till the ground with simple tools. However the lure of the past is strong and nations race to recover what was once lost to secure power for themselves over their neighbours. Many adventurer’s have made a fortune exploring old ruins and recovering artefacts of ages past.

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

Huh. I like the ancient technological ruins one better meself, but I’m an Eberron fanatic.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

Some quick, tentative character thoughts.

Tomi (Undergallows? Based on NWN character of the same name)
    Halfling Fighter with dual short swords. Guttersnipe theme and Stealth from a background. Very rogue like for a fighter. Light armor, MC rogue for thievery. Rags to riches kind of backstory. Very personable and polite but doesn't realize that his new peers don't have the same idea of right and wrong that he does.

Lola Runeheart
    Dwarf Artificer,
    Bookish historian with special interest in archeology and ancient knowledge. I'd like to make a crossbow work for style but I haven't looked at artificer recently.

Mack
    Mul (or Dwarf/ Human if no Mul), Barbarian
    Aging veteran warrior coming out of retirement. Former professional fighter and wrestler. Seeker of fame and glory. After a moderately successful career as a pro fighter, Mack retired and went to live in his small rural hometown but found it unsatisfying.

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

Talking about multiple characters got me interested in trying a large party. 3 Characters each would make either 6 or 9 heroes for the party depending on 2 or 3 players. If we got 4 players I'd stick to 2 characters per player as there are limits to how ludicrous I'd make this experiment.
    I'm happily applying no matter what because I love 4E, I'm just airing a concern about the sustainability of playing with such a large party. I'm down for the challenge though!

I like both of the settings you've presented.

Should we present characters/applications already or should we wait for more details?

24. - Top - End - #24

4e? Fantastic?

No Hybrids? Awwwwww....

Level 1? .... Well its 4e at least.

So am I the 4th player or not? Can't tell tbh...

And I prefer Twilight Existence myself!

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

Quick question: what’s “netbuilding” in 4e?

26. - Top - End - #26

Net-building basically means your not making an original character or build. You're just using a build you ripped off the internet from some website, normally an optimization website.

27. - Top - End - #27

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    Net-building basically means your not making an original character or build. You're just using a build you ripped off the internet from some website, normally an optimization website.
    People actually do this? That seems... boring.

28. - Top - End - #28

It happens more for competitive card-games really, but it can happen from time to time in D&D.

29. - Top - End - #29

Chimera

I’ll pop my other concepts here as I build them, but for now, here’s Zenith, a genasi who was gestating for years as an elementite in the elemental chaos before being borne through a rift on the material plane formed from the eruption of a volcano during a thunderstorm. Growing up in a nearby village, he always wanted to explore his true home. Well, one fateful day the same volcano erupted during another storm, and he ran towards it in the hopes of finding a rift to the elemental chaos. Unfortunately for him, a powerful wizard kinda put him and the entire disaster in a pocket dimension for a while so a couple villagers wouldn’t get smothered by the ashes and their crops destroyed in a blazing flood. “A while” turned into over a century, because the wizard died of natural causes and no one knew what happened to Zenith. Lucky for him, someone accidentally poked a hole in a strange velvet bag as they were rifling through an ancient, secluded grave site, and he was set free... And the volcano and storm imploded. No more graveyard! Out in the middle of wild country, Zenith had to find his way back to somewhere civilized. When he got there, things were a lot different than before! Who knew so much could change in a hundred or so years?
    Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Heroes of the Fallen Lands: Mage subclass, Magic Missile at will 1, Suggestion cantrip, Light cantrip
    Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide: Genasi race
    Arcane Power: Storm Pillar at will 1
    Heroes of Shadow: Unravelling Dart at will 1, Spook cantrip
    *Dragon Magazine 366: Auspicious Birth background
    *Dragon Magazine 372: Reaper’s Touch feat
    *Dragon Magazine 391: Pyromancy school
    *Dragon Magazine 430: Ghost of the Past character theme
    Heroes of the Feywild: Glorious Presence encounter 1, Chameleon’s Mask cantrip
    Player’s Handbook: Flaming Sphere
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-25 at 09:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Exactly this, and yes it's boring to see from my end as well. I think it originated from online games with websites offering deep analysis telling you exactly how to play your character.

4e? Fantastic?
    I'm excited to run some 4E as well, I've been missing it and the awesome balance it offers. Though around here no one wants to touch 4E with a 10yard pole. They're all 5e or pathfinder fans.

No Hybrids? Awwwwww....
    I'm just starting over and I'd like to get used to the classes again before I allow all the wacky stuff. MC feats are still available so you can still tweak things a bit.

Level 1? .... Well its 4e at least.
    Yeah, since I haven't done so in years I want to start back at the beginning.

So am I the 4th player or not? Can't tell tbh...
    Yes you happen to be the 4th. But I'm accepting applications from everyone at this point. I've learned in the past that some people drop interest before the game starts so the more people that apply the better.

I’ll pop my other concepts here as I build them, but for now, here’s Zenith, a genasi who was gestating for years as an elementite in the elemental chaos before being borne through a rift on the material plane formed from the eruption of a volcano during a thunderstorm. Growing up in a nearby village, he always wanted to explore his true home. Well, one fateful day the same volcano erupted during another storm, and he ran towards it in the hopes of finding a rift to the elemental chaos. Unfortunately for him, a powerful wizard kinda put him and the entire disaster in a pocket dimension for a while so a couple villagers wouldn’t get smothered by the ashes and their crops destroyed in a blazing flood. “A while” turned into over a century, because the wizard died of natural causes and no one knew what happened to Zenith. Lucky for him, someone accidentally poked a hole in a strange velvet bag as they were rifling through an ancient, secluded grave site, and he was set free... And the volcano and storm imploded. No more graveyard! Out in the middle of wild country, Zenith had to find his way back to somewhere civilized. When he got there, things were a lot different than before! Who knew so much could change in a hundred or so years?
    Could you include references for your character options? As in which book and page to find it on so I can read about them and get a better idea of your character.