The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: 4e D&D, with or without templates

Iím still here!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I remain, should anyone have vanished.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Checking in!

4. - Top - End - #154

I'm ready to go and explore the world when everyone else is.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Ditto, my dudes are still available!

6. - Top - End - #156

This is good that everyone is here and interested. I should post something akin to recap of the lore on Sunday and a bit about the starting situation/town. I think that we'll get the first post on Monday or Tuesday. Feel free to ask questions until then.
    Also once we start I'll give people my discord as it's easier to get in touch with me there. (in case questions happen or I miss a post or something)

7. - Top - End - #157

Well since specific questions have not been asked, I guess I'll just start talking about stuff and the setting. As for a start date, I can get an OOC thread up, but since I'm going to be away for a couple days from Sep 19th, to the 24th I'm thinking starting the IC thread after (so we don't lose momentum for a couple days as that's always harsh). That being said afterwards I don't have plans for any travel until Christmas so that should be that. (unless work gets in my way, but they shouldn't)

Setting wise, I'm thinking of a country with a heavy adventurer culture. As in one where adventurers are common and fulfill different roles for society. Most adventuring groups are established as "Adventuring Companies" with membership varying between 6 and 15 adventurers each. Adventurer's guilds are more service than community based (closer to Wandering Inn's style of guilds rather than Fairy Tail).

Ruins and exploration
    There are many ruins scattered around the world and new ones occasionally pop up. Though monsters occasionally settle in the ruins that were previously cleared out, so there's still a reason to occasionally go back into something that's been previously cleared. Magical items, treasure as well as artifacts from a bygone age are typically what adventurers hope to find when they go down. Though occasionally the treasure seekers release something truly dangerous that's been sleeping down there and it rampages across the area. The rights to ruins at any given time is hotly contested and it's not rare for adventurers to fight over them especially if there's thought to be treasure inside. The adventurer guilds to give out charters giving exclusive rights to an area to companies in an effort to resolve this but there is poor communications between the guilds in different cities and some companies outright ignore the charters which tends to lead to the aforementioned fights over the ruins.

The Town
    Chadwick is a large town but not quite yet considered a city. It has a well developed economy and is surrounded by sturdy stone walls. It relies on adventurers for it's defence complemented by a professional a guard force and citizen's militia. The guard and adventurers generally don't get along and will cause trouble for each other though things have yet to get out of hand. It's population is mostly human but there's a handful of other races. Most non-humans seen in the city are adventurers as opposed to permanent residents.

I could right more, but I think this is a good spot to stop and let the players tell me what they think.
    I've got more background on the ruins and such, but that's something to discover not to be given.

Some of these above details can be altered without too much altering my hidden fluff.

Here's an invite to my discord channel. Unsurprisingly I have the same name as on these forums. Be sure to let me know who you are so I can give you the proper role. I don't expect to be using discord much for this game but it is the easiest way to get in touch with me if you think I need a poke or I'm lagging behind in my posting pace or something.
    https://discord.gg/Bc96ZFY
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-09-09 at 05:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

This sounds really exciting. I think the backstory and feel for both of my characters should fit within this framework well. How common are tieflings in Chadwick and the world in general?

9. - Top - End - #159

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
    This sounds really exciting. I think the backstory and feel for both of my characters should fit within this framework well. How common are tieflings in Chadwick and the world in general?
    Tieflings aren't really common in the area even amongst adventurers, though this brings up in interesting discussion. Namely how do people perceive Tieflings in general? I think answering the following question would help me find them a better spot in the setting and thus would probably help dictate how common they are.

I'm thinking that giving them a dark side and the superstition that would come from that would make them interesting.

How about something of the sort: Properly known as Tieflings but also called devilmen or demonblood they inspire fear and superstition from the population. While there are tieflings of every alignment and many are law abiding citizens, their origins can be traced back to devil or demon worshipping cults depending on the story. Though such cults have never been really successful they have led schemed and conspired from the shadows for ages. While first generations require purposeful experimenting, they may reproduce with humains passing on the fiendish blood. Diluted enough the blood doesn't surface every generation so occasionally a tiefling is born to parents unaware of one of their ancestors. Typically most of the fiendish traits are hidden at birth and only come out throughout childhood and adolescence.

This would cause tieflings to be mostly misunderstood and their families persecuted for associating with fiends as well as add a healthy does of superstition in their regards. Though as far as adventurers go they tend to be more open minded, trusting acts and competence more than they trust superstition.

I'm open to changing what I wrote above, I'm just trying to give them an interesting niche in the setting. Let me know your thoughts.

10. - Top - End - #160

RedKnightGirl

Looks neat. I figure my characters are out of towners as a dwarf and Mul. I always imagined Lola the Dwarf Artificer to be on some sort of business either from dwarf country or as a part of some organization where she serves as an archeologist. I feel Mack was a former adventurer who gave it up after a disastrous early career and is coming back out for a second go at it. He may have been hired as Lola's muscle and the two travel together.

I'll continue to ponder, just wanted to get something out there for you.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

I think that works well and I can definitely role play my tiefling wizard within that framework. Thank you for answering my questions.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    Looks neat. I figure my characters are out of towners as a dwarf and Mul. I always imagined Lola the Dwarf Artificer to be on some sort of business either from dwarf country or as a part of some organization where she serves as an archeologist. I feel Mack was a former adventurer who gave it up after a disastrous early career and is coming back out for a second go at it. He may have been hired as Lola's muscle and the two travel together.

I'll continue to ponder, just wanted to get something out there for you.
    So I need one or more dwarven nations... Interesting.
    I typically like to see dwarves split into mountain dwarves and highland dwarves. As in those who live under mountains and those who live in valleys at high altitudes. I see the ones that live underground as living in a more codified and rigid society where as the highlanders are more wild and fiery. A third group would be those who have left the deep halls to live in surface nations outside of the dwarven community.

I think I need to further develop them but what do you think so far? Should I keep pushing or take a different direction?

13. - Top - End - #163

Chimera

May I still participate with the runepriest and wizard combination I had created before? I just need a day or two to remake them from memory with no compendium.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    May I still participate with the runepriest and wizard combination I had created before? I just need a day or two to remake them from memory with no compendium.
    Sure.
    Though I saw you enter my discord server then leave right away. We're going to be playing here in the forums but my discord is the quickest way to get a hold of me if you need something or want to poke me.

15. - Top - End - #165

RedKnightGirl

I did try to join it, but when I checked again it was gone.

16. - Top - End - #166

Chimera

Same happened to me. I kept trying to hop in and it wouldn't let me stay.

17. - Top - End - #167

Here's another link
    https://discord.gg/s9XChT

18. - Top - End - #168

I'm back.
    Any last minute questions or issues? I've got to get to work shortly but I'll make a more comprehensive post when I get back. Should put up either the OOC tread or will put it up tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

Sounds great!

20. - Top - End - #170

RedKnightGirl

Sorry for not replying right away. I haven't had much time to think about this since I had to make a 14 hour drive to visit my Mom in the hospital. I expect lots of waiting today though.

21. - Top - End - #171

Yesterday was kinda hectic. Should find time to post tonight.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

Is she ok?

23. - Top - End - #173

I've put up an OOC thread. If each of you can put an initial post, including fresh links to characters that would be great. For the moment, edit your first post instead of posting more.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...5#post24170995
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-09-26 at 11:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

RedKnightGirl

Yes my Mom is recovering. I'm driving back home now. In should be back to normal tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #175

I've waited a bunch and was wondering why people who I think are still interested have yet to post in the OOC thread as requested. Am I to assume I should move forward with only those who did?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'm still around if you need a backup.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    I'm still around if you need a backup.
    Give it a few days and ask again.

28. - Top - End - #178