The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 4e D&D, with or without templates

About my proposed settings, I was hoping for more of a discussion.
    • What do you like about them?
    • What inspires you?
    • How would they affect your character choices or options?

And so on...
    The reason for this is both inspire me to add more to them and also inspire me to pick one or the other for the actual game. I'm not really making this a vote or poll because I think inspiration will do a lot more good for the game rather than just picking the one people seem to like best from such a short description.

2. - Top - End - #32

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost49X View Post
    Yes you happen to be the 4th. But I'm accepting applications from everyone at this point. I've learned in the past that some people drop interest before the game starts so the more people that apply the better.
    I'll make 3 then.

Lets see... typically the Controller is the Role you can drop the easiest, which means I'll be running a Leader, Defender and Striker... I'll use my Githzerai Artificer for the Leader. My Githzerai Monk as my Striker, and my Mul Warden for the Defender.

Is Hero Lab acceptable, or do I need an actual sheet?

About my proposed settings, I was hoping for more of a discussion.
    I'll get back to this.

3. - Top - End - #33

RedKnightGirl

Honestly I like my Artificer the most of the three I posted and both of the settings inspired me to create her. As a non divine healer and student of history, I felt she could fit in both pretty good as a scholar.

I feel the twilight of existence has a very strong thrust of a plot already and helped me get a good sense of scale. We are helping a single village, not altering the fate of gods or nations, which makes sense for heroic tier characters. Again, it inspired me to avoid the divine power source and want to uncover the secrets.

Of course, there's a lot to investigate in the ruins of mystery and I again like the idea of exploring and discovering. I feel it would be more open to wander and good for the curious.

EDIT: Oh man, are you me, Storyteller? My Mul Barbarian was going to be a Warden before I switched it up and I was going to run monk as a striker, but changed that too. Only Artificer was left of my original thoughts.
    Last edited by CateranEnforcer; 2019-07-25 at 05:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    EDIT: Oh man, are you me, Storyteller? My Mul Barbarian was going to be a Warden before I switched it up and I was going to run monk as a striker, but changed that too. Only Artificer was left of my original thoughts.
    ... Dang. That is a little freaky honestly.

I went Artificer because I prefer them to the Cleric, and as I had a Gith already, the Monk seemed the best choice, especially as they are a couple. After that, the Mul Warden seemed like they would be a good way to stand out against my Battlemind Gensai or my Tiefling Paladin...

... And its a Desert Wind Monk. Huh. I have a lot of fire characters.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Sure! Iíll double check and source everything as an edit in the post with the link.

6. - Top - End - #36

So, DM, question.

How likely are we to be able to get specific items for builds? As items such as the Blurred Ki Focus or the Firewind Blade can really end up making or breaking a build. And I would rather know in advance how likely it is to get my hands on certain items before I submit my characters.

7. - Top - End - #37

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    ... Dang. That is a little freaky honestly.

I went Artificer because I prefer them to the Cleric, and as I had a Gith already, the Monk seemed the best choice, especially as they are a couple. After that, the Mul Warden seemed like they would be a good way to stand out against my Battlemind Gensai or my Tiefling Paladin...

... And its a Desert Wind Monk. Huh. I have a lot of fire characters.
    Yeah it's cool, I'm just hope our Artificers don't turn out too similar. Never tried one before, but I'll change it if needed.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi! Iím new to PBP but have played a bit of 4e. Is there any room for one more character?

9. - Top - End - #39

So, DM, question.

How likely are we to be able to get specific items for builds? As items such as the Blurred Ki Focus or the Firewind Blade can really end up making or breaking a build. And I would rather know in advance how likely it is to get my hands on certain items before I submit my characters.
    I'm unlikely to just drop the item you just happen to need in the next treasure hoard, but commissioning most items from a NPC crafter should be fine. Worse come to worse, I might give you a quest to acquire the item or a component the crafter needs to get the item.

Some quick, tentative character thoughts.
    Mack
    Mul (or Dwarf/ Human if no Mul), Barbarian
    Aging veteran warrior coming out of retirement. Former professional fighter and wrestler. Seeker of fame and glory. After a moderately successful career as a pro fighter, Mack retired and went to live in his small rural hometown but found it unsatisfying.
    I'm not running either plot in Dark Sun, so I'm not going to borrow the Mul history from that setting. However I don't find anything wrong with the race stats so you can play it as a half-dwarf. His background doesn't have to be from slavery either (though that can still be the case if you want that) sounds fair?

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
    Hi! Iím new to PBP but have played a bit of 4e. Is there any room for one more character?
    I'm still accepting submissions but if you do submit characters, you'll have to submit 3. If the number of players is high, I'll end up asking players to pick 2 out of 3.

PS: I'm cackling at the hoards of minions I'll be able to bring to encounters...

Edit: About Divine characters in the Twlight setting, they're still available to players. They're just less and less common over the last few generation.
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-07-25 at 06:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

RedKnightGirl

How do you feel about Mark of Storms for my halfling tempest fighter. It adds some cool control at mid Heroic after getting a lightning weapon. Not a deal breaker, but it's pretty neat. I know mark feats can be contentious, but I didn't think it was more powerful than the frost or fire type support. I'd not be picking it up until later, but it may affect power selection.

12. - Top - End - #42

How do you feel about Mark of Storms for my halfling tempest fighter. It adds some cool control at mid Heroic after getting a lightning weapon. Not a deal breaker, but it's pretty neat. I know mark feats can be contentious, but I didn't think it was more powerful than the frost or fire type support. I'd not be picking it up until later, but it may affect power selection.
    I'd rather avoid things that are setting specific to official settings. I feel that allowing them in game requires the whole culture and background that goes it with. I'm personally very much so into Eberron but we're not taking that as a setting this time around (that being said I'd be up to running an Eberron Campaign as a future project)

13. - Top - End - #43

Chimera

Do you think it would be worth getting the Ritual Casting feat or just commissioning a few scrolls of the major rituals (long-distance teleportation, protective wards and circles, etc.)?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

1. Maledroth Valerian
    Race: Tiefling
    Class: Wizard
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Not religious

Middle son of crime lord parents. Rejects his fatherís wishes that he join him in the family business. He feels badly about the criminal acts he committed at his fathers request and is scared by his desire to return to that life. To distract himself he pushes himself to hone his wizard skills and learn more spells as quickly as possible.

2. Clod Spudolin
    Race: Human
    Class: Fighter
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Prays to Pelor

After his father passed away leaving Clod in charge he has worked his fingers to the bone to provide for his mother and 10 brothers and sisters on the family farm. One day while plowing with their bony ox he the plow blade struck something sharp. After unearthing and dusting off his find he realized he was holding a sword and shield. After a long talk with his mother that night they agreed that he try his hand at adventuring with his new found equipment to provide for the family and so Clod packed his bags and left home for the first time.

3. Ricard Drugone
    Race: Human
    Class: Warlord
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Not very religious, will occasionally pray to Bahamut.

After his 3rd divorce, Ricard feels the need to prove to himself and to others that he is the strong, young man he used to be. In his golden days he was a sharp, battle-hungry captain in a war horde. Now, he sits and drink and smokes in the guard shack for his village. Despite his growing paunch and thinning hair, Ricard thinks that he still had what it take to be an adventurer. So, he picks up his old blue cloak and worn spear and sets off once more for fame and fortune.

Iím open to these being tweaked as the DM sees fit if I am accepted.

15. - Top - End - #45

Planetar

So I've got two characters made up, Overyx Terii, a Goliath Warden and Fourthorn Flameshield, a Wilden Avenger.

With a Striker and a Defender, I'm thinking I'll make a Leader as well. Leaning towards Shaman to complete the nature-themed trifecta. Haven't built the sheet yet, but working on it.

As for settings, I think I prefer the Twilight Existence context. Rather than the presence of the ancients being visible, but mysterious in the Ruins of Mystery suggestion, the mysteries are in the dark and unknown in the Twilight setting. It also feels a little more heroic and I'm partial to slightly noble dark settings.

I'm also into the idea of the three PCs of them being like the Shield Anvil, Mortal Sword, and Destriant (anyone read Malazan Book of the Fallen?) of a surviving nature cult/religion that has helped this town push back against the encroaching darkness.

16. - Top - End - #46

Hmmm, I must admit, the loss of Mark of the Storm is saddening. It is a very potent feat, not by itself per se, but simply due to the builds and combinations, it opens up by giving people easy access to adding Slide to their abilities. The loss of Lyrandar's Wind-Ride Paragon Path is a little upseting as well as it is a very strong class for lighting and thunder builds... but, alas, if that is the way things are, that is the way things are.

As it is... I think I'm going to go for a pure Martial Build: Warlord, Fighter and Rogue. All Dragonborn as well.
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-07-26 at 06:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

RedKnightGirl

Some draft sheets I made.

Tomi Undergallows

Lola Runeheart

Mack

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
    3. Ricard Drugone
    Not very religious, will occasionally pray to Bahamut.
    As it is... I think I'm going to go for a pure Martial Build: Warlord, Fighter and Rogue. All Dragonborn as well.
    I think I'm going to go with the Ruins of Mystery setting. I've been thinking about it and I think the Twilight Existence setting would better fit a normal sized party.

Since you guys brought up Bahamut and Dragonborn, in this particular setting Tiamat won and slew Bahamut. There's a bit more to this and it doesn't prevent people from praying to Bahamut. Also Dragon Tyrants are a thing and they rule over their own little empires. They are served by evil clans of Dragonborn. The good align Dragonborn Clans were scattered and their descendants are hunted down by slavers working for the Dragon Tyrants.

The game will start far enough from where the slavers operate that they won't be an immediate concern but fleeing from them might provide a background reason for being in this area.

19. - Top - End - #49

Planetar

I think I'm going to go with the Ruins of Mystery setting. I've been thinking about it and I think the Twilight Existence setting would better fit a normal sized party.

Since you guys brought up Bahamut and Dragonborn, in this particular setting Tiamat won and slew Bahamut. There's a bit more to this and it doesn't prevent people from praying to Bahamut. Also Dragon Tyrants are a thing and they rule over their own little empires. They are served by evil clans of Dragonborn. The good align Dragonborn Clans were scattered and their descendants are hunted down by slavers working for the Dragon Tyrants.

The game will start far enough from where the slavers operate that they won't be an immediate concern but fleeing from them might provide a background reason for being in this area.
    Would my budding trio's Nature-leanings be appropriate for the Ruins of Mystery setting? Happy to adapt them to something a little more appropriate to the setting like a group of elite forward scouts or a tribal delegation come to the bigger settlements?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

I think my characters fit a bit better with the Ruins of Mystery setting and I was certainly fascinated by the setting. One craves finding more power and spells. One has already found buried treasure that alters his life. And one has been guarding a village for most of his life.

21. - Top - End - #51

RedKnightGirl

Hmmm, I must admit, the loss of Mark of the Storm is saddening. It is a very potent feat, not by itself per se, but simply due to the builds and combinations, it opens up by giving people easy access to adding Slide to their abilities. The loss of Lyrandar's Wind-Ride Paragon Path is a little upseting as well as it is a very strong class for lighting and thunder builds... but, alas, if that is the way things are, that is the way things are.
    My thoughts too, as a fun alternative to just going frost. Not looking at Wind Rider, just Deadly Draw +Mark. I feel frost could give me the CA as well but it's more boring. Not a huge deal, I can kinda do without.

Ruins of Mystery is cool with me. Archeologist Artficer works pretty perfect for that. I will mention that the crossbow support is mostly Dragon material. I imagine the halfling tempest fighter is more of a chaotic neutral type clawing his way out of poverty and likely to turn to adventuring for the promise of riches. The retired barbarian lost his will to adventure years ago after a failed expedition, but is now out to try once more.

22. - Top - End - #52

Requesting the Guardian Theme from Dragon Magazine 399, the Gritty Sergeant Background from Dragon Magazine 366, and Lamb to the Slaughter Warlord power from Dragon Magazine 381, please.

If they are allowed... then, allow me to introduce to your the Encos Brothers!
    The Older Brother, Ardhall Encos, a Bravura Warlord
    The Middle Brother, Armash Encos, a Battlerager Fighter
    And the Younger Brother, Arsashi Encos, a Brutal Rogue

Each of them had seen far too much combat for Dragonborn's of their age, having much experience in protecting younger people, as well as leading others in combat... but in the end, only they have managed to successfully flee from the lands which would see them enslaved. The rest of their family is either dead, or in chains... and they are not sure which is the better fate...
    If only 2 characters are used, I'll probably drop Arsashi, and have him failed to escape with Ardhall and Armash.

My thoughts too, as a fun alternative to just going frost. Not looking at Wind Rider, just Deadly Draw +Mark. I feel frost could give me the CA as well but it's more boring. Not a huge deal, I can kinda do without.
    I'm more of a Polearm Momentum Fan myself... or just straight up Wind Rider. Deadly Draw is a pretty neat ability too, and a consistent way of getting Combat Advantedge. Frost's combo of Lasting Frost + Wintertouched is indeed a very consistent way of getting Combat Advantedge as well... but is pretty boring I agree, and tends to require a Frost Weapon to use effective.

Still... sometimes boring works best...
    Last edited by Storyteller_Arc; 2019-07-26 at 11:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Chimera

@Ghost49X

I cited the sources for Zenith, though Iím not sure about page numbers since I use the 4e compendium and did the books by memory (I wonít have my computer for a week or so).

24. - Top - End - #54

Requesting the Guardian Theme from Dragon Magazine 399, the Gritty Sergeant Background from Dragon Magazine 366, and Lamb to the Slaughter Warlord power from Dragon Magazine 381, please.
    I wasn't sure about the theme, but in the end you can have all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    @Ghost49X

I cited the sources for Zenith, though Iím not sure about page numbers since I use the 4e compendium and did the books by memory (I wonít have my computer for a week or so).
    Alright. Give them proper references when you can. (please put them on the sheet. I don't want to have to dig up that old post every time I wonder what Power X does or Feat Y, or Class Feature Z)
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-07-26 at 11:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Here's a recap that we have so far with links and all. I can add to or change the descriptions if requested I tried including details giving hints as to the build as that can mean a wildly different play style.

Spoiler: Character submissions
    Show

MinotaurWarblad Zenith Genasi Pyromancy Mage
    Caiphon Genasi Swordmage
    Illumia Human Runepriest
    ColdSteel Maledroth Valerian Tiefling Wizard
    Clod Spudolin Human Fighter
    Ricard Drugone Human Warlord
    atlastrembles Overyx Terii Goliath Earth Warden
    Fourthorn Flameshield Wilden Pursuit Avenger

Shaman
    CateranEnforcer Tomi Undergallows Halfling Tempest Fighter
    Lola Runeheart Dwarven Artificer
    Mack Rageblood Half-Dwarven Barbarian
    Storyteller_Arc Ardhall Encos Dragonborn Bravura Warlord
    Armash Encos Dragonborn Battlerager Fighter
    Arsashi Encos Dragonborn Brutal Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by atlastrembles View Post
    Would my budding trio's Nature-leanings be appropriate for the Ruins of Mystery setting? Happy to adapt them to something a little more appropriate to the setting like a group of elite forward scouts or a tribal delegation come to the bigger settlements?
    Your nature leaning trio is fine. Though if you want to add their background or change them it's also fine. I'd want to know what they think of digging and exploring ruins of ages past. It's not something that's typically within nature leaning character motivations. I'm sure you can find a decent motivation for them.
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-07-29 at 11:28 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Chimera

Moved citations into the character sheet, will add page numbers when I can do so.

Big hints for Zenith!
    ē He doe more direct damage than CC, and likes having different damage types available.
    ē Expect him to charge a bunch, use magic missile a LOT, use damage types other than fire, and play well with warlords and artificers (boosts to damage rolls more important than attack for this guy). Heís made to be versatile.
    TL;DR Autodamaging, movement-inhibiting, wizard charger

Edit: As an aside, I wish there was a wizard or druid variant for each damage type. An eladrin druid focused on the four seasons should get to mix radiant, necrotic, thunder, and force in fun and exciting ways. Like, with some actual damage or lockdown support...
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-27 at 03:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Awesome! Thank you very much DM!

Guess my characters are complete then.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    Edit: As an aside, I wish there was a wizard or druid variant for each damage type. An eladrin druid focused on the four seasons should get to mix radiant, necrotic, thunder, and force in fun and exciting ways. Like, with some actual damage or lockdown support...
    While not the sort of thing that I should mention when starting back into the system, once I get used to the system and balance once again that's something I'd offer as homebrew.

Currently though, homebrew is a bad idea when I'm trying to find my sea legs for this system.

@MinotaurWarblad
    Have you started on your other characters?
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-07-27 at 11:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Chimera

While not the sort of thing that I should mention when starting back into the system, once I get used to the system and balance once again that's something I'd offer as homebrew.
    Currently though, homebrew is a bad idea when I'm trying to find my sea legs for this system.
    @MinotaurWarblad
    Have you started on your other characters?
    Yes. Iíve chosen a Genasi Swordmage (voidsoul refluffed as a falling star) named Caiphon. Heís going to be Zenithís ďapprenticeĒ.

My third character is a human runepriest named Illumia. Sheís bound the two genasi as her elemental servants with her rune magic, which is why they are adventuring instead of actively trying to get back to where they belong. They do not like her.

30. - Top - End - #60

So most of the characters have been submitted. Some I still require sheets for.
    Considering we have 5 players (which total 15 characters) I'm going to cut it down to 2 characters per or 10 characters total. Which will be 1 only more character than I originally planned. We'll see how things go so there's an off chance that the characters left behind might eventually join us later.

I think now that players can see what everyone else is going to bring to the table, things will be a bit easier for deciding who to cut and who to keep.