The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: 4e D&D, with or without templates

Oh right, jumped the gun!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    I had already stated that whatever ColdSteel decided to play alongside with their Wizard, would be swapped out on my part with my Rogue. They decided to go with their Fighter, so my Fighter has been swapped out with my Rogue.

Therefore, the table is actually like this:

Defenders
    Fighter
    Warden
    Swordmage

Strikers
    Avenger
    Barbarian
    Rogue

Leaders
    Runepriest
    Artificer
    Warlord

Controller
    Wizard
    This is a cool setup, particularly as there are no duplicate classes. Pretty epic.

Perhaps we're all initially duos drawn to a town on word that ~~thing~~ has been discovered and we're all trying to work together (but also compete a little bit) to attain our goals.

3. - Top - End - #93

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost49X View Post

As for a 4E stat calculator, you can use Asmor's just don't take into account the "Using too many build points" warning it gives and make sure the total comes out to 25 (it's going to say 25/22)
    Brilliant. Fixed! This'll be fun!

4. - Top - End - #94

Chimera

Defenders
    Fighter
    Warden
    Strikers
    Avenger
    Barbarian
    Rogue
    Ranger
    Leaders
    Runepriest
    Artificer
    Warlord
    Controller
    Wizard
    If we actually have five players with ten characters... Weíll have a sticky defender and a punishing defender, two steady strikers and two alpha strikers, two numbers leaders and an action leader, and a battlefield controller. Crazy versatile party.

5. - Top - End - #95

Ztill changing from Swordmage to Ranger, even with my swap from Figther to Rogue?

Personally I think a 3/3/3/1 split is best compared to a 2/4/3/1 split. Defenders are pretty important.

6. - Top - End - #96

RedKnightGirl

Ztill changing from Swordmage to Ranger, even with my swap from Figther to Rogue?

Personally I think a 3/3/3/1 split is best compared to a 2/4/3/1 split. Defenders are pretty important.
    I'd be fine either way. Both strikers and defenders are important, and Avengers and Barbarians can be tough. I'm not sure what performance level will be needed of us but I'd rather people enjoy their characters than feel obligated to fill a role. I think we'd be successful no matter which one is selected. Defenders don't have to occupy all the enemies, just a few of the more threatening ones. With 3 leaders I think 2 or 3 defenders will suffice.

7. - Top - End - #97

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    Iím not sure what performance level will be needed of us but I'd rather people enjoy their characters than feel obligated to fill a role.
    I like making builds that are both enjoyable to play and effective in combat, and I couldnít figure out how to make a swordmage that satisfied those requirements with the tactical nuance associated in a larger group.
    Paladins and Wardens are usually much better at defending multiple allies than Fighters (unless they somehow get a bunch of AoE), Battleminds, or Swordmages (who usually are a huge pain to a single big target).
    This is also why I chose a leader and controller (good AoE with boosts to aid focus fire) initially instead of my typical favor for striker and defender (to shred a single target and punish it for retaliation).

8. - Top - End - #98

Coming back to the game I recently found out that some of the math had changed as far as making monsters work. I asked around and people pointed me towards the so called business card math found in this blog, though it came to me that I should ask you the players how you felt about different math for monster stats. This one seems call itself in line with MM3 math, but so far this has clearly not been the case when comparing a few monsters. Thoughts?
    Note: This is especially relevant since I make most of my monsters from scratch or near scratch.
    Last edited by Ghost49X; 2019-07-31 at 01:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

RedKnightGirl

I haven't looked at the details yet but I do think MM3 style stats are an improvement. Higher monster damage but lower overall toughness for quicker fights. I too created a ton of my own monsters and modified earlier monsters to more fit in with the MM3 philosophy, which is basically just to avoid slogging through long drawn out fights.

Solos in particular have been improved as well and take a bit more work to modify or create. A lot of the MM3 solos have ways to deal with being controlled, multi target abilities, minor or free action effects, auras, etc. The new dragons are decent examples of this. They also cut down on the number of stunning effects and other action denial that targets players.

10. - Top - End - #100

Chimera

I actual create my characters with the assumption that the ďMM3 Business CardĒ will be in use; almost all of my monsters use it, with tweaks depending on if the monster is supposed to be more agile, strong, etc.

Edit: Minor clarification, I sometimes reduce all of a monsterís defenses by 2 per tier (-6 at 30th, -7 for above 30th like Lolth and Bahamut) and increase its HP by 20% per level (so by 600% at 30th, 700% if 35th, etc.) when GMing... Only if the players agree to it and also agree to not focus on accuracy/main stat so hard. PCs hitting all attacks on 2+ even when ignoring monster marks gets really boring...

Edit2: MM3 Business Card math and MM3 math are not the same thing, but the business card really works for faster paced combat. Itís only a rough outline, though.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-31 at 07:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

I was creating monsters today and MM3 math and business card math ain't the same thing. At least not according to the monsters I was comparing them to.

12. - Top - End - #102

RedKnightGirl

The business card is likely an approximation for converting old monsters into new ones, not a hard and fast rule.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by CateranEnforcer View Post
    The business card is likely an approximation for converting old monsters into new ones, not a hard and fast rule.
    I'll do the math, push you through the first encounter and then we'll see if it needs re-adjusting. We might also revisit things after the first ruins/dungeon, to see if there's anything else to add.

14. - Top - End - #104

Chimera

Not relevant to this game, but just thought Iíd share a fun 4e moment that happened last night.
    My brother has a level 3 dragonborn fighter with 20 Str, a +1 vicious greataxe, and the powers Brute Strike and Rain of Blows. He used Brute strike on the boss of the adventure and rolled a nat 20, he rolling 12 on both the high crit and vicious weapon crit dice for a total of 66. He decides to action point and use Rain of Blows. First attack hits for 16 damage. Second attack crits for 27 damage.
    Total is 109 damage.
    He killed my solo lurker in one turn after it dragged him away from the group for a 1v1. Hard (level+3 encounter, thing took five hits for total of 70-ish damage before it separated the fighter) last battle with a horror theme turned into a curb stomp by one party member... It was crazy because the thing had taken down about half the party to 0 before he ripped it a new one...

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarblad View Post
    Not relevant to this game, but just thought Iíd share a fun 4e moment that happened last night.
    My brother has a level 3 dragonborn fighter with 20 Str, a +1 vicious greataxe, and the powers Brute Strike and Rain of Blows. He used Brute strike on the boss of the adventure and rolled a nat 20, he rolling 12 on both the high crit and vicious weapon crit dice for a total of 66. He decides to action point and use Rain of Blows. First attack hits for 16 damage. Second attack crits for 27 damage.
    Total is 109 damage.
    He killed my solo lurker in one turn after it dragged him away from the group for a 1v1. Hard (level+3 encounter, thing took five hits for total of 70-ish damage before it separated the fighter) last battle with a horror theme turned into a curb stomp by one party member... It was crazy because the thing had taken down about half the party to 0 before he ripped it a new one...
    Sounds awesome. I used to play with a guy in 3.5 who mostly played fighters that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Except when it came to bosses, which he couldn't help but not crit and crit hard. I'm talking criting on all attacks for several rounds. But aside from that, couldn't kill a goblin on his own.

16. - Top - End - #106

Chimera

I love crits. For players or monsters, they make things swingy.

17. - Top - End - #107

I love crits. For players or monsters, they make things swingy.
    You should see systems with exploding dice.

In related news:
    How are you guys doing with your sheets? I might have missed a character or two getting posted so I think a quick refresh of who's ready, and who's still working on their sheets would do some good.

As far as what I'm doing on my end, I've got the frame work for the first adventure. Several of the encounters are in different levels of readiness and I'm also working on a loot table.

18. - Top - End - #108

I'm ready to go whenever.

Very excited to finally play 4E again.

(Guess whose been playing around with HeroLab builds again?)

19. - Top - End - #109

RedKnightGirl

I think my characters are pretty set. I want to add in the actual details of the powers rather than just the names. I'll give them a last look for minor changes, but the big picture stuff is set in stone.

I'm thinking a little bit about fluff as well. I'm not sure the starting premise exactly but I kinda imagine Mack as acting as a bodyguard for Lola. He probably will have some defender like utility powers and will MC fighter in the future to help hold the line a bit. Go with the Flow is one of my favorite utility powers for body blocking at 2nd level from the Gladiator theme.

20. - Top - End - #110

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost49X View Post
    You should see systems with exploding dice.
    In related news:
    How are you guys doing with your sheets? I might have missed a character or two getting posted so I think a quick refresh of who's ready, and who's still working on their sheets would do some good.
    As far as what I'm doing on my end, I've got the frame work for the first adventure. Several of the encounters are in different levels of readiness and I'm also working on a loot table.
    The WoD system gets super zany with exploding dice. It can change the gothic tone of the game into something completely different. One of the best ways to play it, IMO.
    My ranger isnít quite ready yet since Iím awaiting access to my computer. Will post everything ASAP.

21. - Top - End - #111

If you're being delayed, please let us know when you think you'll be ready. If nothing new gets posted to the thread in awhile I'm afraid people's motivation may falter...

22. - Top - End - #112

Chimera

I was supposed to be able to get everything done for both characters tonight/tomorrow, but it appears not. My runepriest is ready for play, though I need to cite sources. The ranger will not be ready for approximately four days.
    I apologize for the previous lack of information.

23. - Top - End - #113

RedKnightGirl

If there's anything you need help with, you can ask! I did most of mine on my phone and just referenced the compendium for a handful of things.

24. - Top - End - #114

It's all good. Interacting with posts and keeping everyone else up to date shows that you're motivated and care about the game. PBP games die quite easily if people don't check the thread frequently, one person not posting for a week without letting others know is enough to kill everyone's motivation. Once we start I expect people to post at least once a day in order to keep things going. If RL gets in the way, let everyone know that you won't be available for X time and hopefully things will work out. If you're taking an extended leave of absence you can also give control of your characters to another player for that duration.

25. - Top - End - #115

Chimera

Awesomesauce!
    Got almost all the way done with Zazil (my ranger). If I can get the cost for a drow long knife, Iíll be good to go with him too, other than citing sources.
    Then Iíll just find the books and page numbers for everything once I get my laptop.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-08-04 at 11:55 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

RedKnightGirl

Awesomesauce!
    Got almost all the way done with Zazil (my ranger). If I can get the cost for a drow long knife, Iíll be good to go with him too, other than citing sources.
    Then Iíll just find the books and page numbers for everything once I get my laptop.
    15g for a Drow Long Knife!

27. - Top - End - #117

Chimera

Coolio! Then hereís Zazil.

28. - Top - End - #118

RedKnightGirl

Made some minor changes to Mack's stat array and copy pasted the actual power text in those blank slots for both characters. I think there's nothing mechanical left to do.

What's the plan for starting?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Iím still here and working on my characters. Clod Spudolin is almost complete. It wonít let me post links yet.

Didnít want you guys to think Iíd disappeared.

Can you explain the point buy system?

30. - Top - End - #120

Chimera

http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eAbilityScores/index.php

I donít exactly recall point values, but thatís the ability score calculator if you want to use it. It allows you to ďgo into the redĒ, exceeding the regular 22 point buy. Youíll be doing that to spend 25 points.