The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default False Hydra encounters?

As the name implies, can you guys share your encounters with False Hydras?

I'll start things off.

Not too long ago, my DM gave us our first encounter with a False Hydra. We're pretty high level (about13-18th level), so the DM made sure it was at a stage where it could challenge us while adding extra abilities.
    Anyway, we came to an underground, abandoned city. It was on our list of destinations, so we had to go there in order to get plot-important item(s). I used Greater Prying Eyes to try and see what was there, with orders to report back immediately if detected. They got detected instantly by the False Hydra, so they reported back. We investigated, but because of how late is was getting, we had to turn in for the night. We chose one of the abandoned nobles houses. We found a pair of skeletons in the basement, likely people who got wind of the danger, hid, and slowly starved to death.
    Night came, and we were awakened by our Druid having carved a message into his chest: "IT'S BEEN WATCHING US THIS WHOLE TIME!"
    We also found that the window and door had been bolted shut. So, our druid used stoneshape to get a hole for us to leave. We also noticed an extra pack with shed fur all over it in addition to various items. And of course, we noticed the profound silence.
    Turns out, the pack belonged to an NPC ally we didn't know was traveling with us, helping us out, making things go our way, etc. When we peered through the hole, we saw the monster. the DM called for a DC 40 Planes check; I rolled and beat the DC. Our druid wildshaped into a dragon (thanks to his feat) and let us see the full extent of what we're dealing with.
    It was a long battle, but we prevailed.
    Our deceased ally is someone we've decided to bring back to life. Have to wait until next session, though. He was a Gnoll who followed Pelor.

The abilities this thing had in addition to what's established are these
    It had the ability to drain spell levels on a successful bite. A will save nulled it.
    It's screech inflicted damage, and another one could leave us either shaken or panicked, depending on how we did on our will saves.
    When it got low enough on HP, it turned green and started dealing a ton of acid damage.
    THIS VERSION HAD 300 HD AND 3600 HP. It had garbage AC, though (5 normal, -2 touch, so roll a not!1)
    It was demonic-based, and it had constant True Seeing. It also means that it would never starve to death, unlike most examples.
    This version wasn't just imperceptible while singing; you could literally walk right through its body without noticing it. It was still there, watching and waiting, but with on way to perceive it or even detect it (not even detect evil worked while singing), it couldn't be attacked even with a stray attack.
    When we slew it, it exploded into a cloud of acid (reflex for half damage).

Like I said, it was scaled up tremendously and had extra powers.

I'll add to this post when I can. This isn't the full detail, but I don't have the time to add it all here.
    Last edited by TheNerfGuy; Yesterday at 06:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: False Hydra encounters?

You say it was scaled up immensely, but it I remember the blog post that the False Hydra originates from correctly, it was:

- explicitly never statted
    - able to grow to a point where it could challenge even high level characters
    - designed primarily to provide problem-solving encounters, with combat being far from a primary focus
    - taken from a blog which brewed for 5e (while the creature is certainly system-agnostic, that does reduce the number of 3.Xe DMs who would be aware of and run such a creature)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    that does reduce the number of 3.Xe DMs who would be aware of and run such a creature)
    Indeed.

What is a false hydra?
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This session was the first time I had ever heard of it. One person at the other table had heard of it and sort of wished he was in my group in order to join in on the fun.

My DM was aware of it beforehand, and this entire experience was something he had planned about a year-and-a-half ago and spent that time arrange events throughout that length of time to lead up to this event.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Icefractal has the link to the post where the False Hydra originates. For those curious who don't want to follow the link, it basically is a monster that consumes people and erases the memories of those who knew them, via a song that also hides it from perception. It makes for an interesting psychological horror adventure if the DM puts in the work and the players are looking for such. It is definitely meant as at least an adventure arc, rather than a singular encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

That is absolutely amazing to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.