New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Short Question About Into The Spider Verse

It's funny that the first X-Men movie mocked the yellow spandex, and then years later they pulled it off in First Class pretty well.

I agree it's hard to sometimes translate comic book costumes to live action. Like the example below

Spoiler: The Wolverine end-credits scene
    Show

I'm glad they didn't go with that.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    He was, but with respect to the costuming I think that was more indicative of very different expectations of the time. Even in the comic medium, people were a bit more willing to just roll with a more earnestly over-the-top aesthetic, both in terms of costume design and characters.

Also--and I'm not that old so I have no clue whether this was true for people when those movies came out--but it was seeing live-action Superman that first drew attention to the whole "underwear over the tights" thing. The information is all there, but something about your mindset in parsing animation just doesn't lend itself to thinking too hard about those details. Also, the silliness of that whole bit really did nothing to detract from enjoying the movie (at least until Brandon Routh), but it's nonetheless a bit of silliness that, to me, only materialized from trying to faithfully port a comic design into a real costume.
    The covering over the tights make sense for multiple reasons.The first being The whole Circus strongman imagery. Now you ask why they did it that way.

Well the point is to emphasize the physique with the tights, and the Briefs are to make it seem almost like this is a strong person wearing only a speedo but otherwise naked.

Another part of it is that Leotards can tear, and the most likely place for that to happen is the crotch, it's an extra layer of protection down there and having it on the outside means that the audience doesn't know anything happened.

Another part of it is that it breaks up the color of the costume, a lot of people very much me included hated the Man of steel Costume because it's just a solid block of blue with the red at the bottom of the costume and a small smattering with the shield. The Red at the waist helps to break things up and keep it from looking too plain.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    The covering over the tights make sense for multiple reasons.The first being The whole Circus strongman imagery. Now you ask why they did it that way.

Well the point is to emphasize the physique with the tights, and the Briefs are to make it seem almost like this is a strong person wearing only a speedo but otherwise naked.

Another part of it is that Leotards can tear, and the most likely place for that to happen is the crotch, it's an extra layer of protection down there and having it on the outside means that the audience doesn't know anything happened.

Another part of it is that it breaks up the color of the costume, a lot of people very much me included hated the Man of steel Costume because it's just a solid block of blue with the red at the bottom of the costume and a small smattering with the shield. The Red at the waist helps to break things up and keep it from looking too plain.
    Another point on the color breakup is that it helped make Superman's poses and action scenes more distinguishable. Early comics had small panels, low quality printers, and cheap ink. Detail was nearly impossible, and similarly colored shapes bled together. The red trunks helped visibly separate his legs from his torso. The yellow chest symbol served a similar purpose for the arms, as well.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Another point on the color breakup is that it helped make Superman's poses and action scenes more distinguishable. Early comics had small panels, low quality printers, and cheap ink. Detail was nearly impossible, and similarly colored shapes bled together. The red trunks helped visibly separate his legs from his torso. The yellow chest symbol served a similar purpose for the arms, as well.
    Yep there are a lot of reasons for the Red Trunks. And while it is ok to get rid of them, you need to redesign the entire costume. It just doesn't look right without them.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    I didn't actually ask, but I do appreciate the answer. Honestly, I never thought of it beyond "it looked cool in animation." Which it did. Even compared to some of the drawings I've seen that have tried to realistic emulate the darker, more textured Henry Cavill costumes don't really evoke the same reaction from me that the classic style does.

Like I said, I don't dislike the Superman costuming in movies--simply wanted to cite it as an example of how translation to live action alters the aesthetic.