The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management)

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    Plink grins wide, clapping Gibs on the shoulder. I wants you in the boat with me and Hexz and his spooky spider. Gibs is way more better than a wolf. Not as fast, he concedes, but way more better!

Looking to Hexz, Plink takes on a serious tone. That good Hexz? We's three and your spider sneaks under the murder gods nose, and sees if there's any shinies there.
    Eh, I was hoping for just one other. Means after a rest we can get away without running all the way back to the boat if bigger nasties get between us and the boat. Taking Silkwhisper or you two means the easy way back would leave useful things to die.

Still, if you insist on it Iíll go alongside you two, may well be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Chief Plink, Hekx and Gibs - along with Silkwhisper - get on the boat, and take the porpoise Express across once more. They soon set foot of the small island, and make their way up the stairs to examine the lights. Taking care to the remain at the extreme range of the spell, Hekx casts his magic.

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

A spell was cast here, of the illusion school. By .. quite a powerful caster. It seems to cover the entire hilltop.

Beneath the water, the guardians have kept their vigil through many, many generations. They do not recall the Masters, but they know their eternal duty: none may pass!

They chitter in frustration when something does - too fast for them to follow. They scurry off in pursuit, but it rushes back, past them, again too fast. But then, there are other disturbances: the mad chatter of abover voices on the shore. When the thing rushes past them once more, they make their decision.

They are not fast, but they are determined. They clamber ashore, hauling their armored bulk across the sand, snapping giant, razored pinchers and chittering in their own primitive, kinda-sorta language.

Maybe they were once some sort of fresh water lobsters, maybe they derived from trilobites somehow. Regardless, they are now man sized monsters, heavily armored, and angry. You see three of them, crawling towards you with murderous intent.

Roll initiative.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Initiative:
    Hekx:(1d20+1)[3]
    Silkwhisper: (1d20+3)[4]

Hekx and Silkwhisper alike spend much of thier time peering up into the hilltop before them, looking with wonder at this powerful magic or unsoiled woodland respectively.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-08-07 at 02:23 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Initiative: (1d20+2)[6]
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Krog sighs, curses quietly to himself and raises his spear. Why couldn't anything go right for once?

Initiative: (1d20+1)[2]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hmm... it seems on this hilltop we could not trust our eyes, though I feel no enchantment so perhaps our minds should be safe. I would advocate sending Gins forward to sneak ahead and try and spot any illusions, while we follow behind ready to pull him out if he falls victims to one. It will be tricky though, such powerful magic is not easily pierced by mortal eyes.

OOC: Now we know something up here is an illusion donít we get to make a saving throw to see through it?

7. - Top - End - #187

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    There is more to the illusion school than illusions. This isn't something that can be disbelieved.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hekx begins to move forward further towards the crest of the island. Heís on the lookout for additional magical auras while looking at Silkwhisper as well knowing that some illusions could be broken by a spiderís tremorsense.

9. - Top - End - #189

Moving up the stairs, Hekx, Plink and Gibs soon see something disconcerting: Right at the top of the stairs are several skeletons. They appear to be of varying ages, humans and orcs, halflings and the odd goblin too. It looks very much like they all reached about the same point - then died. There is no sign of struggle. Some have weapons sheathed, there are loaded crossbows never fired.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plink freezes in place. A master of the obvious, he states what his brethren likely already know. Something very not good happens here. And it happens many times.

Plink doesn't go any closer at this point, but invokes his ability to see the auras of magical residue (Detect Magic), and studies the scene thoroughly. As a trapmaker, Plink knows that something has to set them off, and that there is often a way around them if you know what to look for. Look for pressure plates or symbols or holes, anything that shouldn't be there. Hexz, he adds, almost as an afterthought. I can maybe make some things move in that pile, or sends something from us in there. You thinks good idea?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Plink freezes in place. A master of the obvious, he states what his brethren likely already know. Something very not good happens here. And it happens many times.

Plink doesn't go any closer at this point, but invokes his ability to see the auras of magical residue (Detect Magic), and studies the scene thoroughly. As a trapmaker, Plink knows that something has to set them off, and that there is often a way around them if you know what to look for. Look for pressure plates or symbols or holes, anything that shouldn't be there. Hexz, he adds, almost as an afterthought. I can maybe make some things move in that pile, or sends something from us in there. You thinks good idea?
    As long as we stay from where it can hurt us I think so, but beware. I see orc and man and goblin but no beast and no elf. They may be tricksy enough to make magic that can choose targets.

12. - Top - End - #192

Upon further inspection, it's pretty obvious you're not the first ones to worry about the build up, over time, of fresh corpses. You can see things that were presumably thrown across the boundary, you can see some skeletons in places that indicate they tried to circle about - you even manage to spot a trail of old pitons where someone tried to move along the cliff wall. It's hard to be certain, but where the trail ends, you think you spot bones among the rocks below.

Dotted among the bones, Plink is able to pick out a few magical auras, items the various would-be adventurers or explorers carried. If they were meant for protection, obviously they failed.

Spoiler: Since I know you're going to ask
    Show

No, you can't make out precisely what items - you're still too far away, and they obscured by bones and what not. You pick up auras of alteration, necromancy and conjuration. Four in all, btw., two of them necromancy. All of 'faint' power.

There is an aditional item that has a magical glow, but you can tell what it is: A shortbow lying unstrung beside the dessicated form of it's former wielder. This one is 'moderate'.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Dem elfy murder gods too good at what dey do! Plink shares his discoveries with Hexz and Gibs.

Plink's eyes light up. Grapply hooks", he mutters excitedly. Digging a rope, a bunch of fishhooks, some caltrops, and some other odds and ends out of his pack, he gestures to the other. Helps me make grapply hook! We drags all the goodies to us and tricks the murder godses!

Plink sets about tying several of his caltrops to the rope (using sacks and fishhooks as fasteners if necessary), trying to create an apparatus which, when thrown, will have protruding "hooks" pointing in multiple directions, able to catch hold of bones, weapons, armor, etc.

Hexz.. You don't thinks that the death magic can reach over here and get us, does you?
    Last edited by pife; 2019-08-11 at 12:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Dem elfy murder gods too good at what dey do! Plink shares his discoveries with Hexz and Gibs.

Plink's eyes light up. Grapply hooks", he mutters excitedly. Digging a rope, a bunch of fishhooks, some caltrops, and some other odds and ends out of his pack, he gestures to the other. Helps me make grapply hook! We drags all the goodies to us and tricks the murder godses!

Plink sets about tying several of his caltrops to the rope (using sacks and fishhooks as fasteners if necessary), trying to create an apparatus which, when thrown, will have protruding "hooks" pointing in multiple directions, able to catch hold of bones, weapons, armor, etc.

Hexz.. You don't thinks that the death magic can reach over here and get us, does you?
    Hekx looks at Plinkís ongoing efforts to form a grappling hook, and then turns to Silkwhisper.

That is not stupid, but it is not quick either. You will not see magic anymore when you are done. I have a better plan. Silkwhisper, Kihpull!
    While pointing at the pile of bodies where the aureus emerged from Hekx waits for Silkwhisper to shoot a large amount of sticky webs that will fall all over the mounds of corpse and treasure. Then the large beast will move backwards using the adhesive to take both smooth and jagged surfaces back towards us mostly unharmed.

Eh, perhaps they could do some magic trick, but it does not change on itís own. Either one of them wioukd have to be watching us or have some other trigger. We have been alive when staying out here before and we should still do so.

15. - Top - End - #195

Plink's efforts, while clever and effective over done, are not as simple and straight to the point as Silkwhisper's. She sprays spidersilk over the remains, and reels them in like she did poor Pipzy. You find four potions, and the aforementioned bow. The bow is elegantly made, decorated with rabbits and deer and birds and other animals a hunter might enjoy putting his shaft through.

Spoiler: Potions
    Show

You're going to find out eventually anyways, so let's do away with the mystery.

There are two healing potions (moderate), a potion of jump and a potion mage armor.

The bow is something a hunter would really appreciate. It's just +1 (plus any additional shenanigans, and there might be some).

16. - Top - End - #196

The lobster things that emerge from the lake aren't fast - but they were aware a fight was about to happen, slightly before you were. They rush (if they many-legged shuffling deserves such a term) up the beach, snapping their pinchers and muttering whatever passes for language among those with only mandibles, and crustacean brain power.

For all that they aren't quick, they are terrifying to behold. Layered chitin carapaces, cold, empty black eyes, and those pincers that look like they could crumple full plate armor like it was sea kelp.

Without displaying any undue or unexpected firm grasp of tactics, they barrel right into the line of wolves the goblins have placed between themselves and the admittedly unnerving lake.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Lobster-1:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[20] including charge bonus
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7]

Lobster-2:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[17] including charge bonus
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

Lobster-3:
    Attack: (1d20+6)[10] including charge bonus
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

Oversized chitin appendages carve up fine wolfy fur, rend skin and shed blood. The poor mounts yelp in pain, but live to retaliate.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-08-13 at 08:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Plink's efforts, while clever and effective over done, are not as simple and straight to the point as Silkwhisper's. She sprays spidersilk over the remains, and reels them in like she did poor Pipzy. You find four potions, and the aforementioned bow. The bow is elegantly made, decorated with rabbits and deer and birds and other animals a hunter might enjoy putting his shaft through.

Spoiler: Potions
    Show

You're going to find out eventually anyways, so let's do away with the mystery.

There are two healing potions (moderate), a potion of jump and a potion mage armor.

The bow is something a hunter would really appreciate. It's just +1 (plus any additional shenanigans, and there might be some).
    Hmmm, I see no easy way through here, but if beasts can pass then we may be able to make some attempt at looting it. I will need to return and practice some more though as I havenít yet completed my understanding of Spindrel.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

After the glee of pilfering the loot of the dead has waned, Plink allows himself to hear the altercation occurring on the other bank.

What in the name of Maglubiyet's left knurrf is that? Plink squints as he tries to make out the details of the battle. Hexz! Gibs! Should we tries to help? Can we get back in time? With me!

Spoiler: If you'll allow it
    Show

Plink needs to help his tribemates!! At 300 feet, this is a stretch, but.. If you'll indulge me. While moving back toward the dock, at the top of his lungs, Plink will begin to sing a glorious goblin war-chant while strumming invigorating, discordant notes on his lyre, invoking his bardic music to inspire his allies (bardic music is a standard action, so he would like to be on the move while he plays). If you allow it, it will grant them a +1 bonus to attack and damage, as well as saves vs fear or charm. It says "all allies", which I would say the wolves count as, and they can definitely hear me at this range, I would hope (your call of course)

And there is no perform check required for the bardic music, but hey, Plink is a professional, he wants to sound GOOD!

(1d20+6)[7]
    (**edit** I shouldn't have said anything about Maglubiyets left knurff. Ugh! Lol, but hey, the bardic music doesn't require a roll, and he is playing, walking and screaming at the same time.. It's harder than it looks, lol)
    Last edited by pife; 2019-08-13 at 02:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Dammit, youíre right. Theyíre in trouble again. As he speaks he turns and climbs onto Silkwhisper. Iíll summon our motion, you two try and push the boat back into the surf.

Then they speed off, a little ahead of the others straight back towards the beach.

20. - Top - End - #200

Spoiler: The Motivational Power of SONG!
    Show

Anyone who can roll a Listen check vs a DC of 12 get's the benefits of Bardic Music. +1/+1, and what not.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Skimbibble starts firing as fast as he possibly can.

My rolls for Rapid shot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listen (d20+4)[11]

(+1 to all of these if that is 12+)

Shot 1
    Attack (d20+5)[19]
    Damage (d4-1)[0]

Shot 2
    Attack (d20+5)[15]
    Damage (d4-1)[2]
    GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #202

Goblin

Moving up beside one of the wolves, Krog jabs out with his spear, hoping to do some damage before his expected death.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Standard Move
    Attack: (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[4]

23. - Top - End - #203

There is some initial confusion as target priorities are discussed - but the wolves are natural pack hunters, and have no such difficulty. They circle the lobster men, yipping and yapping, and snapping at their limbs and tails. As they manage to start wearing one of the hulking monsters down, the goblins quickly follow suit, focussing the injured enemy. Skimbibble manages to land a shot, though doing minimal damage. Krog does better, sinking his spear deep in the soft underbelly of the beast, killing it.

The lobster men show no sign of slowing down, however. Tearing into the already injured wolves, they make a decent effort to finish them off. Both wolves drop, ripped apart by tremendous claws.

Show

Lobster-1:
    Attack1: (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage1: (1d6+2)[4]
    Attack2: (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage2: (1d6+2)[8]
    Rend, if both hit: (2d6)[7]

Lobster-2:
    Attack1: (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage1: (1d6+2)[8]
    Attack2: (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage2: (1d6+2)[4]
    Rend, if both hit: (2d6)[7]
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-08-16 at 03:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

More shooting!

My rolls for Rapid shot
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shot 1
    Attack (d20+5)[11]
    Damage (d4-1)[2]

Shot 2
    Attack (d20+5)[13]
    Damage (d4-1)[0]
    [/QUOTE]
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #205

Seing things going poorly for his fellow goblins, Skog works up a murderious fury, and charges the nearest lobster man with his greataxe. A great overhead swing swooshes through the air, with force enough to split a small giant in twain, like a log for the fireplace.

It proves also to be enough to fell one of the lobster guys outright. The axe smashes through chitin and bone, splattering ichor in every direction - although somehow the majority seems to splash dramatically all over Skog's face, painting him in the scarlet warpaint of death of enemies.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Skog:
    Attack: [roll]1d20+9[roll] - Rage, charge, flanking, power attack
    Damage: [roll]1d10+5[roll] - Skog's own damage rolls earlier were +8, but I can't seem to find the last +3.

I'm going to need to double post - the outcome of this attack is fairly critical for the rest of the combat.

Pfft ... I'm a bloody amateur.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-08-19 at 12:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Goblin

Smiling grimly as he impales the first of the lobsters, Krog presses on, hoping to repeat his feat.

Show
    Standard Move
    Attack: (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[5]
    Listen Check: (1d20-1)[8]

27. - Top - End - #207

The last lobsterman, distinctly unhappy with how things are turning out, fights back to the best of his (it's?!) abilities, attacks raining down on it's armored shell from all sides. Picking a target at random, he lashes out against a wolf.

Show

Unhappy lobsterguy:
    Attack1: (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]
    Attack2: (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]
    Possible rend plus (2d6)[4]

I rolled a d10 for who got the pleasure of the possibly fatal attack, and rolled a 6 - the first 4 were goblins, so.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the flagship of the goblin navy rapidly approaches the shore, Captain Hekx moves forward and cuts down with his knife, freeing the celestial porpoises to hurtle like a missile towards the monstrous creature, it scraped just over the sandy beach, only just making what should perhaps have been an easy leap, but nonetheless it impacted the foe hard.

Show

(1d20+14)[16] DC 15 (Augment summoning gives +4 strength, this means +2 to swim checks.)
    Attack: (1d20+6)[20]
    Damage: (2d4+2)[8] Additional +2 if the creature is evil due to smite.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-08-20 at 03:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Goblin

Moving in on the last creature, Krog lashes out with his spear, throwing caution to the wind.

Show
    Standard Move
    Attack: (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[5]

30. - Top - End - #210

The last remaining lobsterman doesn't go down easy. Attacks bounce off his thick carapace, wolves gnaw ineffectively at his armored legs, arrows and spears make hardly a mark. But as Plink comes closer to shore, his hoarse, quirky voice fills the ears, hearts and minds of goblins (and wolves, and notably one porpoise) with purpose and will.

Together, they swarm the sad lobsterman, weigh him down with numbers, and crush with effort and determination what resisted strength of arm and sharpness of metal. In a final gurgle of black ichor, the lobsterman dies, pinchers snapping futilely long after he is broken open and struck dead.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

In the end, it came down to the wolves - I forgot that they each get a +1 to damage, just like the porpoise. That pushed poor King Lobsternideas over the edge. In the dark, quiet halls of his underwater kingdom, pods of tiny spawn will grow and never know the glory of his fight, nor it's inevitable futility - but oh ... they will grow knowing the Masters, and the Eternal Duty. And in the end, isn't that much more important?

For now, the lake is ... safe.