The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management) OOC

I usually use the first post of the OOC for objectives and notable NPC's. Currently, there are none, so this is all for now.

Notable places:
    Standing Stones
    Cursed Fortress - ruined. Confirmed to be a vampire lair.
    The Caves - there are three main chambers, each above the other. Many side chambers, and passages below. Not exactly easily defensible, but hard to find.
    Brooksglade - apparently, humans have a temple there.
    The Isle - it's in a small lake!

Various objectives:
    The Vampire Lady's Request (she wants a ring from the church in Brooksglade)
    The Elf Tomb Reliquary - which is technically not a tomb, but more of a ... oh, reliquary
    The Barrows and The Ghouls

Player objectives ditto:
    Spiders
    Wolves
    Control of the tribe - which is now open, with the absence of Chief Plink
    Traps
    Conquest - to Gibs' dismay, the total of easily conquerable foes has thus far been zero

Add to that loggers camps, whom so ever the loggers are fighting, hill giants, and the undercaves.

Notable NPC's:
    Vitriola - she has abilities that fit a vampire profile. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ... is a vampire. There is another - possibly (?!) more powerful vampire too.
    Pipzy, leader of the Peoples Popular Revolution Front!
    Skuzzbagz, popular goblin who provides dizzyweed for the tribe.

Holk and Stolzenberg: A fat merchant and his hired sword.

Flintjaw Mountainbreaker: Selfproclaimed leader of the rocklins. This may be entirely fictional - or, on the other hand, he may be a mage of earth shattering power. No one knows.

Extras:
    Wolves: 10
    Spiders: 3

Trade deal: Rocklins have traded 1 tree for 1 bucket of ore, twice. They have made an offer to trade alchemy for ore - details to be negotiated, but they also suggest goblins providing the raw muscle ... again.

Current goblin count: 116
    Week: 4
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-10-17 at 06:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management) OOC

Hekx Will speak in Blue.

I reckon we should descend on one of the small villages first, reprovision, see how well armed the people of the area are, things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Skimbibble will speak in a timid grey. - EDIT: Gear to be added later today, can't access Mythweavers from work to update this.

We have rations for a while, I suggest we scout out our immediate surroundings and find a nice, concealed and defensible place to set up temporary camp. Ideally one with more than one exit. We can set up an actual base later if we find somewhere more appropriate (those ruins look good) so for the moment just lean tos etc and what defenses we can scrape up, not putting work into anything more permanent.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-08 at 05:01 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #4

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that the valley is quite a decently sized slice of land, a good 30 miles long by 20 wide. It is early spring, and the land is still mostly frozen, with snow growing patchy as the weather warms. The valley is still on a plateau some hundred meters above sea level, so beyond the lake to the south is yet another drop down to the plains proper.

Scouting is indeed a good idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, Gibs has traveled south. Gods help you.

He's been sleeping with the wolves and mostly just rambling in tongues. You know Gibs doesn't make many decisions on his own. He usually brings back food if he's left to his own devices. He follows orders... sometimes.

"Gibs speaks in this color!"

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Gibbs, The Insane One
    male goblin barbarian 1
    CE small humanoid (goblinoid)
    Init +2; Senses Darkvision 60 ft.; Spot -1, Listen +3
    Languages Goblin, Common

AC 16 (+3 armor, +1 size, +2 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 14
    HP 13/13 (1d12+1)
    Fort +3, Ref +2, Will -1

Speed 40 ft
    Melee glaive +4 (1d8+3/x3)
    Combat Options: Combat Reflexes
    Special Actions: Rage (1/day)
    Base Atk +1; Grp -1

Abilities Str 15, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
    Skills Jump +9, Listen +3, Survival +3, Tumble +3
    Feats Combat Reflexes
    Possessions longspear, glaive, armor spikes, studded leather, heavy wooden shield, 22 gp
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-07-09 at 04:22 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Spoiler: Soz
    Show
    Soz was always weak, even for a goblin, but she was smart and intuitive. She befriended a young pup when she was growing up, and the pup grew with her into a big ol' doggo. She took to riding Soz Jr. whenever she had to travel, and learned tricks on how to help her get long.

Soz, on one of her travels into the wilds, found an old, tattered book. It was a book used by Druids, to help teach the new initiates their language. She started to read it, and felt an affinity for the words in the book, Pretty soon, she had mastered the language, even if no one else nearby knew it, and moved on to try the basic spellwork at the end. To her shock, it worked!

She quickly became a lot more respected, what with being able to heal others, and her young days of being weak and petty were forgotten.
    Soz will talk in Boldenrod.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Skog shall speak in dark red

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone ever play Kobolds ate my baby?
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-07-08 at 09:56 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9

*Sad trumpet noises*

I'm happy with a 22 on a +7 roll. I'm not as happy with the 10 on a +9. :P

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Anyone ever play Kobolds ate my baby?
    No, but that's an interesting title

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

So OOC what do we want to do? The ruin might contain bigger monsters that chew through us, but recruiting them would also potentially be possible. Putting up shelter is good but doesnít move us forward.

We could attack a village, it might be possible to overwhelm them with focused tactics and numbers but Iíd prefer to have bows or at least slings distributed to the others first.

We could spend some time ransacking the farmland, it would give us materials and possibly a small amount of safe XP but it would also provide warning for the towns and villages to armour up.

What does everyone think the best plan going forward is?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I think scouting the ruins make the most sense. If it's abandoned then it's free lodging. If it's occupied then we could decide from there what to do and if nothing else we learn something about our area
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-07-08 at 10:25 AM.
    Camel's Handbook

13. - Top - End - #13

I still think we should try for peace over war.

Ruins good idea, though.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Skog would probably agree to go to the ruins if you convince him there might be things to kill there. Maybe if there's anything dangerous, he could Intimidate it into submission

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

My opinion remains the same, partly for RL and partly for RP reasons. We do not know if we are strong or weak by the local measure and if we mess up we need a bolt-hole. My thoughts:
    1. Find a temporary safe camp
    2. Scout out any prominent landmarks, such as the ruins, but do not engage anything.
    3. Stay AWAY from the villages.
    4. Make a note of any good sites for a permanent residence.
    5. Don't invest resources into anything non-defensive until we have a permanent site to operate from.
    6. Make a permanent residence and also a maintain a small camp about a day away as a decoy where, if necessary, we can send some weak and old goblins to live with a few shinny things. Should buy a little time once bigguns come looking.

Peace is preferable to war unless you can win easily. I have an idea about First Contact with the villages that is appropriately LE and gobliny, but as soon as we do any contact at all we are exposed. We are safest if people who can kill us do not know we exist.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Before this thread gets too far, how evil are people happy with this game getting? Right now we feel like 90s Saturday Morning Cartoon villans. Is that where we want to keep it?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

How do we look like anything right now? Weíve found a cave and mostly discussed whether we want to avoid or peacefully entreat with the locals.

That said I am happy to attack villages and drive off innocent people while killing armed men who fight back. Iím not willing to actively kill innocent unarmed people without a reason. Otherís dying isnít a dealbreaker but Iíd like to skip over it rather than see it in detail.

IC my guy cares mostly about our own conquest and doesnít care about the livelihood of others.

That said, if people want to set a higher bar Iím happy with it.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Before this thread gets too far, how evil are people happy with this game getting? Right now we feel like 90s Saturday Morning Cartoon villans. Is that where we want to keep it?
    IC I feel my guy is borderline animalistic, which is why he's neutral. He's aggressive, but it's in the same way that an animal is aggressive: because it feels threatened or is territorial.

Personally, I kinda like the way we feel now, but I'm cool with whatever. Whether we go Good or Evil, Skog will likely end up mostly as a tiny ball of anger that you just point in the direction of our enemies and let run. Assuming he doesn't die in the next few days, that is

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    How do we look like anything right now? Weíve found a cave and mostly discussed whether we want to avoid or peacefully entreat with the locals.
    2 balls of anger, 1 comedic coward, 2 thinky types who seem less evil and a bard on the way whose name implies a certain level of comic releif. Please note, this was NOT a critisism.

That said I am happy to attack villages and drive off innocent people while killing armed men who fight back. Iím not willing to actively kill innocent unarmed people without a reason. Otherís dying isnít a dealbreaker but Iíd like to skip over it rather than see it in detail.

IC my guy cares mostly about our own conquest and doesnít care about the livelihood of others.

That said, if people want to set a higher bar Iím happy with it.
    No, more the oposite.

I have had some, awkward, experiences with evil parties and PCs. I really want to put an upper bar and ensure we have a "Guys, no." procedure in place BEFORE its needed.

For instance, someone referanced Kobolds Ate My Baby. That's all funny and I have no objections, but I would draw the line at anything explicit or detailed IC, because I would be uncomfortable. I just want to know where everyone's line is and how we can let the DM know it just got crossed.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-08 at 03:01 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #20

I'll just pitch in to say that there are no right or wrong decisions, and also no sure-to-fail/succeed courses of action. Or, well, some actions are pretty sure to fail, if only because - as I've mentioned, there are things in the valley that will eat 100 goblins for an entre. Levelling up may or may not alleviate that =)

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I'll just pitch in to say that there are no right or wrong decisions, and also no sure-to-fail/succeed courses of action. Or, well, some actions are pretty sure to fail, if only because - as I've mentioned, there are things in the valley that will eat 100 goblins for an entre. Levelling up may or may not alleviate that =)
    Do the ruins contain one of those things? It looks like that's where we're headed next. Or at least some of us are

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I am such a bad employee.. I've been slowly putting Plink together here at work as I've been able.. I'll have the sheet posted within the next couple of hours.

I believe Plink will speak in Green .

As far as the tone of the game, I'm happy with whatever everyone else wants, I'm comfortable at any reasonable point in the spectrum.

Starting Gold for Plink
    (4d4)[4][4][4][2](14)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobolds Ate My Babe is a "beer and pretzels" role playing game and I referenced it because the "kobold" characters you control are easily and often killed by just simply bad die rolls or not saying All Hail King Torg! at the right moment. Basically, attrition is really high in that game and it looks like attrition will be high in this game. Like no one would ever, ever, ever mistake Kobolds ate my baby for a dark game.

I plan on playing my guy just insane with the dark things he does as either simply being in his background or implied vaguely in posts. You know, I also don't plan on playing him very long. Already got Gibs Jr. in the works!
    Camel's Handbook

24. - Top - End - #24

Wait, do we get the starting gold and the starting equipment, or do we get the starting gold or the starting equipment?
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-08 at 04:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

It turns out that in my inexperience and ineptitude, I forgot to save my character sheet at all, and so I had to redo it entirely from scratch.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1951937

Krog will speak in green.

As the first character I have ever made, please let me know if there are any mistakes with the sheet.
    Last edited by Morovir; 2019-07-08 at 04:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Wait, do we get the starting gold and the starting equipment, or do we get the starting gold get or the starting equipment?
    I wasn't sure if it was okay for me to buy a glaive and armor spikes or not. So let me know if my character shouldn't have a glaive!
    Camel's Handbook

27. - Top - End - #27

Do the ruins contain one of those things? It looks like that's where we're headed next. Or at least some of us are
    I have no idea. Which ruins are we talking about again? Those ruins over there, to the east? Never heard of those ruins before in my life.

Wait, do we get the starting gold and the starting equipment, or do we get the starting gold or the starting equipment?
    The spear+shield+ratleater suit are all free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    I wasn't sure if it was okay for me to buy a glaive and armor spikes or not. So let me know if my character shouldn't have a glaive!
    Both glaives and armor spikes are perfectly alright.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Handy chart for the MAIN GOBLINS!!!

Player Character Race Class Alignment
    Jopustopin Gibs, The Insane One Goblin Barbarian Chaotic Evil
    JbeJ275 Hekx Goblin Conjurer True Neutral
    EvilDMMk3 Skimbibble Pokey-poke Goblin Ranger Lawful Evil
    JNAProductions Soz Goblin Druid True Neutral
    Stevesciguy Skog Goblin Barbarian True Neutral
    pife Plink Goblin Bard Neutral Evil
    Morovir Krog Goblin Fighter Lawful Evil
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-07-08 at 08:11 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Morovir View Post
    It turns out that in my inexperience and ineptitude, I forgot to save my character sheet at all, and so I had to redo it entirely from scratch.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1951937

Krog will speak in green.

As the first character I have ever made, please let me know if there are any mistakes with the sheet.
    You've added your AC bonuses wrong. Studded leather gives a +3 on its own, and a light shield gives a +1. Your AC should be 16 (put the shield's AC bonus in the box labeled 'AC bonus' in the big box labeled 'shield/protective item' it'll add it all up for you). You've also forgotten to add your base attack bonus and base save bonuses onto your sheet.

You don't need to list both the damage dice for your weapon, you only need the Small damage dice (1d4), and you need to add your Strength in your damage box as well.

You also get a +4 racial bonus to move silently and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    The spear+shield+ratleater suit are all free.
    Oh. Guess I have more equipping to do
    (4d4)[12]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Here I are!

Plink

Since Krog also chose green, I will change to.... Violet!
    Last edited by pife; 2019-07-08 at 06:25 PM.