The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management) OOC

Ok so I say we set up on the upper cave for now and we keep the camp under observation. Next priority is the tunnel. If that isn't a bad thing then we can look at fortifing/traps. Thoughts?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Don't over-interpret the tunnels, tho. Tunnels underground are like trees overground. Because the real Earth isn't completely honeycombed by tunnels, we real world humans have a mindset that tells us any tunnel must lead somewhere. We think they connect two points. But in a fantasy world, the reaction to finding an endless system of tunnels shouldn't be any different than looking out the window and seeing fields. No one thinks 'I will follow these fields, and see where they end!'

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Setting up in the upper cavern is good, but I want to check the ruins and other areas for potentially useful materials before we get to deep into setting up. There are potentially usefully resources there and it could be useful setting up right away.

Also, if we are sticking around while building is done, I have some ranks in craft (Alchemy) so if someone catches spiders Iíld be happy to try and distill the venom.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    No one thinks 'I will follow these fields, and see where they end!'
    No, I get that. I'm more thinking "Lets just check there are no tigers in these fields before we go to sleep..."
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-09 at 05:05 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    No, I get that. I'm more thinking "Lets just check there are no tigers in these fields before we go to sleep..."
    Even a reasonably thorough search of the tunnels reveal no frequent use by anything more dangerous than a mundane centipede or earthworm. You can establish with reasonably certainty that you will not get jumped by drow raiders or the like while you sleep.

Of course that doesn't mean that I won't eventually have drow raiders jump you while you sleep. Just .. not right now =)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

This is a dumb idea weíll probably never get to, but if we get a bit more time and expierienced would it be possible to interbreed these spiders with the fiendish spiders I can summon to create nastier descendants.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

With darkvision we should travel at night and sleep during the day.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    With darkvision we should travel at night and sleep during the day.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    This is a dumb idea weíll probably never get to, but if we get a bit more time and expierienced would it be possible to interbreed these spiders with the fiendish spiders I can summon to create nastier descendants.
    Theoretically sure. In practice, you're relying on a fairly narrow window of opportunity. Also genetic compatibility.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

As soon as the cave is deemed safe by the warriors to enter, Plink would like to scout for the resources that Hekx has alluded to. Specifically, he would be looking to see
    1. Are there fish? And if so, are they plentiful?
    2. Other than mushrooms, is there any flora or fauna inside the caves?
    3. Are there any obviously defensible positions, such as elevated observation points, blind corners, narrow chokepoints, etc?
    4. Are there any precious gems or metals present? (Plink doesn't have skill in this area, but he would inquire among the "diggier" of his brethren
    5. Are there any paths leading TO the cave? (that would indicate that there has been/is regular foot traffic to the area?)
    6. Does the cave have an emergency exit? If not, can we dig one?

Spoiler: Questions about Trapbuilding
    Show

I gave Plink Trapbuilding, so that he could help design defenses for his tribes home. In looking at the SRD, there is a significant cost in gold for trapbuilding. It feels like that cost might represent (mostly) what adventurers or NPCs might pay to have them added to their strongholds, and wouldn't be relevant (at least, not the full cost) for "monsters" trapping their own lairs. I wanted to get your guidance on costs and timeframes for building mechanical traps (pits, spear traps, deadfalls, others like that, etc).

Assuming you are okay with the goblins building traps for their lair, I wanted to find out where you stood on how long they would take. For example, if Plink got a work party of 20 goblins together to dig a pit trap, it could probably happen relatively quickly.

Jbe7275, that's definitely not a dumb idea, lol. That's pretty creative!

Can the earthworms (combined with Plink's fishhooks) be used for fishing (if there are any fish or crawdads or other crunchy, tasty things in the water)?

***EDIT*** I made the silly mistake of looking at OOC first, and some of my questions above are answered in the IC. My fault, disregard anything that has already been answered, sorry).
    Last edited by pife; 2019-07-09 at 08:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Travelling by day or night is a touch more complex than that, if there is decent starlight then dark vision is irrelevant. Mind you I would not recommend on travelling by darkvision over open terrain, 60ft is a REALLY short distance and it would be almost comically easy to get separated.

Mind you traveling by night also reduces the risk of us being seen, so I do agree with the idea, if not the reasoning.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I do like the idea of going mounted. The wolves wouldn't lose one another, we would be extremely mobile, and the only tracks we would be leaving wouldn't alarm the big folk.

I also support avoiding all of the villages during this scouting mission, but perhaps getting close to a couple of the farmsteads. One of the things we should look for is how prevalent the defenses are. If these farms have never been attacked before, they should have some easy pickin's, but if they are used to repelling raiders, they will have their stuff/livestock locked down much better. It will be good to see what kind of preparations await us.

On a ledge high in the uppermost cave, you find numerous large bones, as if a large predator has laired here.

Can we determine what kind of bones? Are they prey animal bones, or bipedal bones? (Plink knows nothing of healing, or of bone structure, and little of hunting, so he would have to defer to those that do)

you find a seasonal campsite of some sort. It's hard to say what manner of creature uses it, but they seem to return at intervals.

By campsite, do you mean evidence of a firepit and such, indicating intelligent campers, or do you mean that it could be used by a bear, or a herd of deer, etc?

The topmost cavern is the driest, and will be most useful for living in. The lowest of the caves is wet, and perfect for the growing of mushrooms. The middle one could be used for anything you can think of.

In case anyone cares: The caves were formed when a long, deep crack in the rock following an earthquake long, long ago, was slowly hollowed out, widened and deepened by rushing water from the snow melt above. That means that each chamber is open to the sky via a narrow hole in the ceiling. The caves are relatively cold - they are, after all, constantly cooled by the flow of glacial streams.

Should we assume that these caves flood when the spring thaw comes?

For hiding, they are optimal. For defense, they leave something to be desired, as invaders could potentially post archers at the crack in the ceiling, and take pot-shots all day long.
    Definitely not our "forever home", then, lol. Of course, we could use them as an ambush spot in the future.. Leave shiny things laying about in the cave to draw in the curious, release a deadfall to trap them inside or slow their escape down, then set our own archers (once we develop more missile weapons) to take potshots at them.
    Last edited by pife; 2019-07-09 at 09:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

How much wood can Skog collect before nightfall? Enough to keep the caves warm for the night? He can pretty much drag entire trees with him if need be.(more, probably, if someone informs him that logs are round enough to roll)
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-09 at 10:39 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

We can mobilize the masses to gather firewood as well. Plink has oil if we need an accelerant to get the wet wood to ignite.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    As soon as the cave is deemed safe by the warriors to enter, Plink would like to scout for the resources that Hekx has alluded to. Specifically, he would be looking to see
    1. Are there fish? And if so, are they plentiful?
    2. Other than mushrooms, is there any flora or fauna inside the caves?
    3. Are there any obviously defensible positions, such as elevated observation points, blind corners, narrow chokepoints, etc?
    4. Are there any precious gems or metals present? (Plink doesn't have skill in this area, but he would inquire among the "diggier" of his brethren
    5. Are there any paths leading TO the cave? (that would indicate that there has been/is regular foot traffic to the area?)
    6. Does the cave have an emergency exit? If not, can we dig one?

Spoiler: Questions about Trapbuilding
    Show

I gave Plink Trapbuilding, so that he could help design defenses for his tribes home. In looking at the SRD, there is a significant cost in gold for trapbuilding. It feels like that cost might represent (mostly) what adventurers or NPCs might pay to have them added to their strongholds, and wouldn't be relevant (at least, not the full cost) for "monsters" trapping their own lairs. I wanted to get your guidance on costs and timeframes for building mechanical traps (pits, spear traps, deadfalls, others like that, etc).

Assuming you are okay with the goblins building traps for their lair, I wanted to find out where you stood on how long they would take. For example, if Plink got a work party of 20 goblins together to dig a pit trap, it could probably happen relatively quickly.

Jbe7275, that's definitely not a dumb idea, lol. That's pretty creative!

Can the earthworms (combined with Plink's fishhooks) be used for fishing (if there are any fish or crawdads or other crunchy, tasty things in the water)?

***EDIT*** I made the silly mistake of looking at OOC first, and some of my questions above are answered in the IC. My fault, disregard anything that has already been answered, sorry).
    1: plenty of fishes.
    2: ferns and grass and assorted creepers. Nothing apparently useful.
    3: I tried describing the low defensive value of the cave. Good for hiding - not ideal for defense. It is open to the sky along a long cracking through which enemies could shoot Fownhope at you at their leisure.
    4: no metals - at least not right here.
    5: exits and entries are plentiful.

Traps are welcome. We're goblins, after all. And bait is not going to be an issue.

15. - Top - End - #45

So, do we all want to go to the ruins, or does one or two of us want to stay here to make sure the other goblins don't get themselves in trouble?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    So, do we all want to go to the ruins, or does one or two of us want to stay here to make sure the other goblins don't get themselves in trouble?
    I can do either.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Absolutely.

Theoretically sure. In practice, you're relying on a fairly narrow window of opportunity. Also genetic compatibility.
    Luckily, spiders reproduce through fertilisation rather than intercourse. (No-one ask how I know that) so the short time window will be less of a problem than it might be. That said, genetic comparability is the main problem, though given the existence of tieflings Iím confident it can be overcome.

Hekx does not like riding and so will be happy setting up a spider farm and bossing the others around for the moment.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-09 at 10:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

I should probably go the ruins. Leaving the kill-happy barbarian in charge would probably not end well, unless you convinced him to wage war on trees for building materials. Also, his talents will probably be more useful in the inevitably monster filled ruins.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plink would like to go. Riding isn't his forte, but he wants to see what's out there!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Ride 12 and mounted combat, yes I am going.

Fyi I couldn't afford my own wolf, so it's just 10.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #51

Alright, goblins what are going:

Gibs(I think)
    Skimbibble
    Plink
    Skog
    Krog

Goblins what are staying:

Hekx

Goblins what are on the fence:

Soz
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-09 at 04:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

This is the fastest-paced PbP game I've ever been in.

Krog will stay behind to keep Hekx company.

@Stevesciguy Thanks for the feedback! I think I've made all the necessary edits now.
    Last edited by Morovir; 2019-07-09 at 12:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morovir View Post

@Stevesciguy Thanks for the feedback! I think I've made all the necessary edits now.
    I will say, Hekx still has most of the tribe with him, so donít feel to worried about leaving him in the caves.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Morovir View Post

It has been moving rather quickly, which is nice.

Sheet looks good! Except for one thing, but that's actually my fault.

Earlier I said add your strength to your damage. What I should've said was to add your Strength modifier to your damage, which is the +2 next to the 15. Sorry about that.

This one is a bit of a nitpick, but another suggestion: put your racial modifiers in the column to the right of where you have them now. The way the sheet is set up, there's a column where you put your ranks, and a column where you put any extra bonuses you have. This doesn't actually change anything mechanically, just makes it easier to see where your bonuses are coming from.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-09 at 12:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Goblin

Ah. It did look a bit high. Fixed now. No worries!
    Last edited by Morovir; 2019-07-09 at 12:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Splitting the party already? Perfect! I approve resoundingly.

One group travels, one group remains and .. breeds spiders. Let me know any actions or extracurricular plans you want to add, then we'll roll with it.

27. - Top - End - #57

Soz, do you wanna come to the monster filled ruins, or use your druid powers to help breed spiders?

Also, someone is going to need to get Skog to stop fighting trees. Just tell him there might be shiny stuff and monsters to kill in the ruins
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-09 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, someone is going to need to get Skog to stop fighting trees. Just tell him there might be shiny stuff and monsters to kill in the ruins
    Tree fighting time! Do we get any XP?
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The offscreen Plink

Spoiler: Passive Actions for Plink in camp
    Show

Any day that it is possible, Plink will spend several hours working on traps, mobilizing small teams of brethren to assist in digging, lifting, cutting, etc..
    1st Trapmaking roll (1d20+5)[15]

As a general rule, he is basically friendly and approachable, he wants the common goblins to be happy to see him coming. (all the better to gain their loyalty and trust for when he really needs them). As such, he will often help out at mealtimes using any spices and techniques he can arrange (Cooking: 3)
    Cooking (1d20+3)[9],

He will also attempt to keep fractious brethren from squabbling too much (a little bit is good for them), intervening in any major squabbles
    Diplomacy (1d20+5)[24]

And finally, he likes to make up little songs and ditties about camp life and the personalities therein, (more to come on this IC), and put them to music
    Perform (stringed instrument) (1d20+6)[11]

That should cover what he's up to for now.

30. - Top - End - #60

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    I will say, Hekx still has most of the tribe with him, so donít feel to worried about leaving him in the caves.
    Okay then, I imagine that Krog would rather go exploring ruins than guarding spiders.