The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management) OOC

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Oh, I was under the impression there were ALREADY more spiders.

I'll get an IC up reflecting accurate knowledge of the situation right now.
    I'm not sure what the plan is, once the spiders hatch. If you guys have a plan and I just missed it, or didn't get it, my apologies. Let me know how you want to proceed, and I'll post.

I'm guessing the druid tries to tame them, but .. what about other precautions?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I should point out that Skimbibble also has Wild Empathy AND Favoured enemy (Vermin), both of which might be helpful when (if) he gets back.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-15 at 03:28 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    I should point out that Skimbibble also has Wild Empathy AND Favoured enemy (Vermin), both of which might be helpful when (if) he gets back.
    The tribe is actually supremely well equipped - form an HR perspective - to breed an army of super spiders, fail to control them, and become their slaves/food supply. I foresee much fun with arachnids.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    - form an HR perspective -
    GR perspective, thankyouverymuch.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #155

GR perspective, thankyouverymuch.
    My bad! Yes, you are entirely correct.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The tribe is actually supremely well equipped - form an HR perspective - to breed an army of super spiders, fail to control them, and become their slaves/food supply. I foresee much fun with arachnids.
    I have achieved step 1, step 2 is now entirely on Soz.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Forgot to roll for the other guy:

Assist, untrained: Attack: (1d3)[3] vs 10

So .. you get a +2 to your alchemy check, ďand produce +(1d3)[3] doses extra.Ē

Also, one assistant has an 'oops!' moment, tripping over a rogue spider on the floor, dropping a fresh vial of newly destilled poison into the fire, releasing a cloud of poison gas into the caves, killing off (1d3)[3] unfortunate goblins - plus himself, of course.
    ďand produce +(1d3)[1] doses extra.Ē

Do I get these extra doses?

8. - Top - End - #158
    Colossus in the Playground

The plan? Imma talk to some spiders and hope it works out.

I feel like we aren't so much planners as we are doers.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Hate to be the rules lawyer here, but technically these ain't animals. They are Vermin, different creature type. It may seem arbitrary but the line has to be drawn somewhere and it raises questions re Magical beasts too.

GM's call obviously. The wording is vague and uses lower case a for animals, so by come definitions this could include humans.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #160

Hate to be the rules lawyer here, but technically these ain't animals. They are Vermin, different creature type. It may seem arbitrary but the line has to be drawn somewhere and it raises questions re Magical beasts too.

GM's call obviously. The wording is vague and uses lower case a for animals, so by come definitions this could include humans.
    Notably, the spell doesn't specify Animals (the creature type), it specifies animals (the English word). So... DM's call.

If this does NOT work, let me know, since with my knowledge check and general nature, I should know this, and so would've prepped different spells.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

The dividing line is vermin are mindless and don't have an intelligence score. Animals do have an intelligence score and can use basic tactics to their advantage (wolves move into flanking, vermin don't consider it (or anything they are mindless)).

Fiendish vermin become magical beasts with an intelligence of 3.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    The dividing line is vermin are mindless and don't have an intelligence score. Animals do have an intelligence score and can use basic tactics to their advantage (wolves move into flanking, vermin don't consider it (or anything they are mindless)).

Fiendish vermin become magical beasts with an intelligence of 3.
    But these also arenít fiendish, or at least not fully fiendish. They are the descendants of fiendish summons. This pretty much putís it at GM fiat but I think teiflings are humanoids so these might just count as animals /vermin.

13. - Top - End - #163

I'll wait for the DM's ruling. We can talk back and forth all day, but ultimately it's the Kaptain's decision.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    But these also arenít fiendish, or at least not fully fiendish. They are the descendants of fiendish summons. This pretty much putís it at GM fiat but I think teiflings are humanoids so these might just count as animals /vermin.
    Oh sweet mother of mudcrabs, PLEASE don't tell me we just created a batch of Half-fiendish spiders...

EDIT Hang on a tick, we can talk to mindless creatures anyway...
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-15 at 09:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh sweet mother of mudcrabs, PLEASE don't tell me we just created a batch of Half-fiendish spiders...

We definitely did. That was the goal. I think it's going well so far!
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-15 at 09:51 AM.
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

It should be noted that theyíre half fiendish, not half fiend. No flying magic mounts until I get a few more powerful spells.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

It should be noted that theyíre half fiendish, not half fiend. No flying magic mounts until I get a few more powerful spells.
    And the difference between half-fiend and half-fiendish is?

EDIT: You know what, lets all just stop giving the DM ideas...
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-15 at 09:56 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

And the difference between half-fiend and half-fiendish is?

EDIT: You know what, lets all just stop giving the DM ideas...
    Half-fiendish isnít a thing and full fiendish just gives SR and some energy resistance, half-fiend gives wings AC, stat boosts and a lot of SLAís.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Half-fiendish isnít a thing and full fiendish just gives SR and some energy resistance, half-fiend gives wings AC, stat boosts and a lot of SLAís.
    OK, to clarify, what is the difference between a fiend and a fiendish creature? Fiend and Celestial for that matter are not defined in the SRD.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK, to clarify, what is the difference between a fiend and a fiendish creature? Fiend and Celestial for that matter are not defined in the SRD.
    Fiends are evil outsiders, they only exist on other planes. Much much more powerful that humanoids.

Fiendish creatures are like regular creatures only they originated on one of the hellish planes rather than our own. They are slightly more powerful that their material plane equivalents.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Fiends are evil outsiders, they only exist on other planes. Much much more powerful that humanoids.

Fiendish creatures are like regular creatures only they originated on one of the hellish planes rather than our own. They are slightly more powerful that their material plane equivalents.
    You know I think we are arguing in circles here. I meant what I first said as an offhand joke and I know the system very well, which is partly why I pointed out the ambiguity of animal/Animal in the spell description. I am sure you aren't coming across as condescending deliberately and are just trying to help but all we really need is a few DM calls.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

You know I think we are arguing in circles here. I meant what I first said as an offhand joke and I know the system very well, which is partly why I pointed out the ambiguity of animal/Animal in the spell description. I am sure you aren't coming across as condescending deliberately and are just trying to help but all we really need is a few DM calls.
    Oh yeah, at this point Iím just talking about things while I wait for the DM to make a judgement. I just thought the tone of your last post suggested and honest question rather than being sarcastic or joking. My bad, and Iím happy to stop and just wait for the DM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Just FYI I am not angry in person, although I do feel that, for the moment, we are pretty much stuck as vampire's minions.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #174

ďand produce +[roll2] doses extra.Ē

Do I get these extra doses?
    Yes. I looked for that and couldn't find it. For all I know I was looking in the wrong thread =) you get 9 doses total.

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    The plan? Imma talk to some spiders and hope it works out.

I feel like we aren't so much planners as we are doers.
    Generally, there's more fun to be had doing than planning.

On the topic spiders, fiends, animals and vermin:

You get the best possible result. Don't mistake that for generosity - it's that way because it's the most fun. So they count as fiendish when that applies, animals where that applies. The druid can talk to them, although he'll notice straight away that they are unnatural abominations - and to avoid further confusion: No, not Abominations :p

Um, does that answer all of the back and forth?!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Just FYI I am not angry in person, although I do feel that, for the moment, we are pretty much stuck as vampire's minions.
    Lol, I had no intention of trying to make Plink the chief. And I agree, being vampire minions isn't optimal, but it beat being vampire brunch. Having killed her sentries, I felt like we were going to be solidly on the vampires hit list, unless some kind of deal was struck. We wouldn't have had any options with her/them. Now we do. We now have some time to prepare, and we have a task that might rate high on the risk vs reward scale. And a possible ally of sorts, (who most definitely doesn't care about our well-being, but we conversely don't care about hers, lol). The way I see it, we now have more options than we did. We can still decide to either avoid her or attempt to take her out (while being much better prepared for the assault), OR we can see where cooperating takes us. Heck, we now even have the option to try to make a deal with the humans, telling them that we can get close to the vampire to spring an ambush on her when she/they least expect it. If they want her gone bad enough, if she has been terrorizing them for generations, they might be willing to ally with us to get rid of her. See.. Options, lol.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

So.... to clarify we are treating the word "animal" in "Speak with animals" means, to modify the google definition "a non-humanoid living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli and lacking significant magical properties." NOT "A creature of the Animal type."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes. I looked for that and couldn't find it. For all I know I was looking in the wrong thread =) you get 9 doses total.

Generally, there's more fun to be had doing than planning.

You get the best possible result. Don't mistake that for generosity - it's that way because it's the most fun. So they count as fiendish when that applies, animals where that applies. The druid can talk to them, although he'll notice straight away that they are unnatural abominations - and to avoid further confusion: No, not Abominations :p

Um, does that answer all of the back and forth?!
    So looks like a duck, quacks like a duck rules?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    Lol, I had no intention of trying to make Plink the chief.
    Oh I do.

My current plan:
    1. Plink gets to be Chief, as punishment. We can all kick him when things go wrong. Meanwhile we choose a Boss to be in charge.
    2. We work for the vampires and hope someone rolls the Knowledge Relgion or Badic Knowledge needed to realise we should steal any garlic or holy water we come across.
    3. We use the fact that we are working for vampires to intimidate threats and build out own power base.
    4. Once we are certain we know what the vampire is about we kill her and take the castle as our own.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-15 at 11:25 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground

We could also just bugger off, and pretend we never met vampire lady. Drop the amulet somewhere - it's definitely a tracking device - then go do goblin stuff until we're strong enough to kill her, or just bring the whole tribe and use Skaven tactics.
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    We could also just bugger off, and pretend we never met vampire lady. Drop the amulet somewhere - it's definitely a tracking device - then go do goblin stuff until we're strong enough to kill her, or just bring the whole tribe and use Skaven tactics.
    Vampires get upset when defied and Skaven tactics are EXACTLY what I have been recommending. Keep secret, keep hidden, don't let anyone know you exist, crush with overwhelming force out of nowhere. That the overwhelming force is divided up into tiny bits and random explosions doesn't change the fact that, Lore wise, Skaven care mostly about being hidden.
    GNU Terry Pratchett