The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management) OOC

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Vampires get upset when defied and Skaven tactics are EXACTLY what I have been recommending. Keep secret, keep hidden, don't let anyone know you exist, crush with overwhelming force out of nowhere. That the overwhelming force is divided up into tiny bits and random explosions doesn't change the fact that, Lore wise, Skaven care mostly about being hidden.
    Yeah, but it's hard for her to do anything about being upset if she can't find us. Besides, she probably hardly even cares about the random little goblins that showed up. If we disappear, she'll probably just roll her eyes. "Ugh. Typical goblins"
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

So.... to clarify we are treating the word "animal" in "Speak with animals" means, to modify the google definition "a non-humanoid living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli and lacking significant magical properties." NOT "A creature of the Animal type."
    Um, no. No, not the spell. The spiders. We treat the spiders as if they're Animals (because now they are, they have an int score of 3 - or more). The spell will affect these spiders, but not other vermin.

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    So looks like a duck, quacks like a duck rules?
    More or less, yea. I generally don't get super hung up on accuracy. That's ... sometimes a good thing.

Oh I do.

My current plan:
    1. Plink gets to be Chief, as punishment. We can all kick him when things go wrong. Meanwhile we choose a Boss to be in charge.
    2. We work for the vampires and hope someone rolls the Knowledge Relgion or Badic Knowledge needed to realise we should steal any garlic or holy water we come across.
    3. We use the fact that we are working for vampires to intimidate threats and build out own power base.
    4. Once we are certain we know what the vampire is about we kill her and take the castle as our own.
    Everyone is aware that it's not her castle, right? Because I stated that clearly: Not the lord of the manor. Sleigh is out. Right? Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    ... - it's definitely a tracking device - ...
    Did you honestly not read the spoilered text that was for Plink only? I thought that only happened in fairy tales. Of course, it could still be a tracking device, despite me explaining what it is. I could have lied. Yes, I could totally be that devious =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-07-16 at 12:17 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Everyone is aware that it's not her castle, right? Because I stated that clearly: Not the lord of the manor. Sleigh is out. Right? Right.
    I did put an s on the end of vampire
    GNU Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Did you honestly not read the spoilered text that was for Plink only? I thought that only happened in fairy tales. Of course, it could still be a tracking device, despite me explaining what it is. I could have lied. Yes, I could totally be that devious =)
    It said Plink only! Of course I didn't read it.

...ok, I didn't this time. Sometimes I do because I'm way too curious, admittedly. I just succeeded on my Will save, this time.

Usually, though, I'm pretty good at not reading such things when it's obvious that it would seriously impact the game if I knew them.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-15 at 05:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

eek Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management) OOC

Gibs has -1 xp.

I broke guys, don't do it!
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-07-15 at 06:06 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, then my actions stand.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187

So - what next? You have scouted part of the land, discovered a few of it's secrets, and - should you chose to accept - received your first mission.

Oh, btw: I usually do a thing where I keep the first post in the OOC updated with tidbits of information - NPC's, missions, and so on. I've just updated it, in case someone wants to have a peek. In my experience no one ever does, but I keep it updated anyways, because otherwise I forget the names of my NPC's and so on. It's embarassing =)
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-07-18 at 12:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Very cool! Now I know to look there occasionally for updates! I like that!

I have a few questions for the DM..

Spoiler: DM Questions
    Show

Plink would like to gauge the reactions of the tribe to the whole "Chief Plink, as ordained by Smoke Lady" thing. He wants to make sure he spins this correctly for the greatest amount of sympathy/support, or, worst case scenario, least blame.

Is there an NPC goblin in the tribe who is a "respected" spiritual leader? Best case scenario would be a shaman or holy goblin of Maglubiyet, someone that the tribe agrees is an authority on all-things-religious.

How far from the goblin cave is Brooksglade? And did we/do we get a sense for it's relative population and or composition?

Have we established how much xp everyone has received? I just don't want to forget to add it if you've awarded it.

I would like to identify the most popular/influential NON-PC goblin in the tribe. The one that the most goblins would claim is their friend, or whose opinion they cared about the most.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

OK so my assessment of the politics currently stands. Partly OOC and partly IC as a fear driver, LE character I say that, now we are exposed, we have to do as bidden. I do not expect that 100 or so goblins can hide if someone is looking for us, we disrupt the local environment too much and if they are a necromancer then killing us is its own reward.

As much as he is going to hate admitting it, Skimbibble is probably one of the better thieves in the tribe, at least based on stealth. Anyone else got good thief skills? The idea here is that we not alert the humans, secrecy and surprise are our best tools even if we threw them away by mistake with one faction.

I am still worried about that campsite.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plink is at+11 in both Hide and Move Silently. He'd be happy to help infiltrate. Also has Mage Hand, which could be useful.

I do think we should go get the ring. Two thoughts though.

If we scout it out (and we should, thoroughly), we need to determine who is in that temple late at night. If it's presumed empty, then this could just be a matter of getting inside. If, however, it is occupied, we might want to consider a diversion to draw any occupants out. The best diversion (to keep us from being discovered) is one that looks like an accident. Depending on how things are laid out, how many villagers we're talking about, and about a dozen other parameters including the weather, the villagers behavior patterns, if they have stables or corrals in the town, what the construction quality is, etc, that can be done in various ways.

11. - Top - End - #191

Skog is... surprisingly stealthy, actually. It's only racial bonuses, but I think he's got +4 in each, accounting for ACP.

Not great, but better than you'd expect. Of course, you'd have to get him to shut up long enough to use them.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Im running a +12 on each. I think 4, while normally pretty cool for a 1st level character, is a bit low.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plausible misdirection may be the way to go. Perhaps we could make some human boot "snowshoes",.. That leave human sized and shaped prints in the snow or soft ground. That way, assuming we were able to sneak in and out with the ring, the villagers wouldn't necessarily be looking for goblins. The longer we can keep them unaware that we exist, the better. Maybe the town has a drunk, and we can frame him, lol.

Not sure how many PC's would be wanting to be on the actual infiltration team, but we should probably identify at least one sneaky tribesmate (NPC) whom we can use to flush traps. We'll just need to put eyes-on Brooksglade, to see what we're up against. If we're willing to take several days to scout carefully, we should be able to find a gap in their defenses or patterns that we can use to our advantage.

Another thought.. We might want to consider a way to pull this off during the day. If the villagers are already afraid of vampires, they may not be willing to leave wherever they are at night, no matter what we use to distract or lure them. But.. They would likely feel safer and less cautious during the day..

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hekx will loudly and publicly claim that Plink is a stupid idiot with no real ideas or abilities who will surely die first when trouble comes. Thus he is the perfect candidate to be chief.

He will then go back to pondering what other experiments he can do to enlarge or improve the vermin army. Pick out a particularly worthy giant spider to serve as his own fiendish hellmount then spoil it rotten.

He値l also remind people he has tremendous arcane powers that include summoning small animals, making people think you are nice and detecting secret doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Lol, there's just no love for Plink, the poor victim of circumstance, whose only crimes are dreams of glory for the tribe (himself), safety and plenty for his brethren (himself), and the approval and respect (adoration) of his tribemates. Sigh.. He's so oppressed. He's just a misunderstood visionary, that's all.
    Last edited by pife; 2019-07-18 at 12:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    Lol, there's just no love for Plink, the poor victim of circumstance, whose only crimes are dreams of glory for the tribe (himself), safety and plenty for his brethren (himself), and the approval and respect (adoration) of his tribemates. Sigh.. He's so oppressed.
    You sold us out to vampires instead of either running away or dying like a decent goblin, you have no-one to blame but yourself.

17. - Top - End - #197

I kinda like our spider friends. They seem nice

18. - Top - End - #198

You sold us out to vampires instead of either running away or dying like a decent goblin, you have no-one to blame but yourself.
    We don't have to do anything. The vampires can barely do anything to us.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The other way to think about it is that he prevented the slaughter of at least part of his scouting party, wheeled and dealed with a more powerful faction, made inroads with them, and has potentially laid the groundwork for using them against one another. And got a shiny amulet for his troubles.

Was it optimal to get into bed (figuratively) with Smoke Lady? Perhaps not. But sometimes.. better the devil you know.. Y'know?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The other way to think about it is that he prevented the slaughter of at least part of his scouting party, wheeled and dealed with a more powerful faction, made inroads with them, and has potentially laid the groundwork for using them against one another. And got a shiny amulet for his troubles.

Was it optimal to get into bed (figuratively) with Smoke Lady? Perhaps not. But sometimes.. better the devil you know.. Y'know?
    Hekx is of the opinion that no-one should deal with any devils unless they have the proper arcane bindings and re-agents. Or they can summon something else capable of beating said devil in a fight.

Also, for real planning. Does the mission to fetch the amulet need to be priority 1? I値d prefer to spend some more time finding a base and gathering assets before we commit to anything like that.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Hekx is of the opinion that no-one should deal with any devils unless they have the proper arcane bindings and re-agents. Or they can summon something else capable of beating said devil in a fight.

Also, for real planning. Does the mission to fetch the amulet need to be priority 1? I値d prefer to spend some more time finding a base and gathering assets before we commit to anything like that.
    Smoke Lady (Vitriola) implied sooner is better, but I (and Plink) agree.. Smoke Lady can wait till we are better prepared. So no, it definitely doesn't have to be priority 1, but he does plan to try to make it happen. I wouldn't mind if the scouting portion happened soon-ish, so that any long term preparations could begin, but again, not necessarily the highest priority.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

We don't have to do anything. The vampires can barely do anything to us.
    There are at least 2 vampires and at least 1 necromancer (who may or may not be a vampire). As I said, we are not well hidden, particularly if they know the local terrain (the fact a volcano just errupted won't pass them by and give them a starting point either) and for both vampires and necromancers, killing us can be beneficial in an of itself, even without any other reason.

As for scouting, I can probably do a good job on my own, considering my skills, and possibly only a worse one with help, it depends on situation. I only have 3 on spot and listen, but 12 on hide, move silently and ride.

We can hold off the theft for a while, agressively over-planning is an age old procrastination technique that is hard to argue with.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-18 at 01:47 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #203

Very cool! Now I know to look there occasionally for updates! I like that!

I have a few questions for the DM..

Spoiler: DM Questions
    Show

Plink would like to gauge the reactions of the tribe to the whole "Chief Plink, as ordained by Smoke Lady" thing. He wants to make sure he spins this correctly for the greatest amount of sympathy/support, or, worst case scenario, least blame.

Is there an NPC goblin in the tribe who is a "respected" spiritual leader? Best case scenario would be a shaman or holy goblin of Maglubiyet, someone that the tribe agrees is an authority on all-things-religious.

How far from the goblin cave is Brooksglade? And did we/do we get a sense for it's relative population and or composition?

Have we established how much xp everyone has received? I just don't want to forget to add it if you've awarded it.

I would like to identify the most popular/influential NON-PC goblin in the tribe. The one that the most goblins would claim is their friend, or whose opinion they cared about the most.

Spoiler: Answers
    Show

Regarding 'spin': You'll need to roll for that. Gather Information, Sense Motive, Bluff, Diplomacy, whatever you want to achieve, pick the one that fits =) then I'll supply results.

No respected leaders - they all stayed behind, bickering. But there's Fangzy, who has the stuff great shamans are made of: Great conviction, and a shaky grip on reality.

The three human settlements are close together (relatively), clustered near the centre of the valley. It's two full nights ride to get there. Also no, you cannot judge it's size or population, primarily because it's not the one you saw =)

Yes, the away team gets 638 xp each - Chief Plink gets another 100 for standing up to Vitriola, and becoming chief by accident.

After careful observation, you find the goblin most are the friendliest with is Skuzzbagz, and this seems to be because he knows of a weed he can gather and treat so you can smoke it, and it makes your noggin go all woozy.

Hekx will loudly and publicly claim that Plink is a stupid idiot with no real ideas or abilities who will surely die first when trouble comes. Thus he is the perfect candidate to be chief.

He will then go back to pondering what other experiments he can do to enlarge or improve the vermin army. Pick out a particularly worthy giant spider to serve as his own fiendish hellmount then spoil it rotten.

He値l also remind people he has tremendous arcane powers that include summoning small animals, making people think you are nice and detecting secret doors.
    Spoiler: Hekx only
    Show

Spoiler: You know the drill! -1 XP if you proceed and are not Hekx! :p
    Show

Spiders catch live prey, paralyze it, and keep it fresh in a nice silk cocoon for weeks on end. Alive. Not a nice way to go. Your spidermount, Silkwhisper (it sounds cooler in Spindrel), really considers it quite, quite delightful if his prey is able to understand the true terror of this.

I kinda like our spider friends. They seem nice
    spiderfriends are best friends.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-07-18 at 03:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plink has some busy times ahead of him.

Spoiler: Plink's Rolls & Actions
    Show

Plink makes sure that Fangzy has regular access to Skuzzbag's herbs, buying or bartering them from Skuzzbagz (and ensuring that Skuzzbagz gets a GREAT deal. Chief Plink is magnanimous)..

He will flit around the tribe, trying to gain a following, and identifying what the individual tribe mates WANT.. (He's selfish, but he knows that the way to power is to make the common folks feel that he can get them what they want). When he tells the story about the scouting trip, he makes sure to make Skog and Gibs out to be very capable, fearless warriors, just the sort to help protect the tribe. He does NOT say anything negative about anyone else there, but adds his own contribution to the adventure. Stealing the garlic, facing down and negotiating with the Smoke Lady , receiving his shiny.. He makes it sound like the scouting part embarked on a grand adventure, one in which they (the goblin tribe) will invariably come to realize as the beginning of a mighty goblin empire!
    Gather Info (1d20+4)[22]
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[15]

That night, he adds the garlic vegebibbles (most of them, keeping a bit for himself.. just in case) to the evening's stew, and makes a big show of cooking it... Eating his fill, then sharing his largesse with others.
    Cooking (1d20+3)[13]

And just before most of the tribe goes to bed, he displays his new song... Which is very much like one of his other songs, with the words changed to reflect the showdown with the bony men and the Smoke Lady.
    Perform (1d20+6)[10]

Hopefully, if all goes well, the seeds of his greatness will be planted in the minds of his brethren.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Whelp, that probably didnt work...
    GNU Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #206

Whelp, that probably didnt work...
    For a given value of 'work', it did so perfectly. It did not, however, lead Skimbibble to Pipzy =)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

OK.

As a coward, I should run. However as a calculating coward I know that the wolf runs faster than me and running makes animals chase.

Any advice out there?
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-19 at 03:56 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #208

OK.

As a coward, I should run. However as a calculating coward I know that the wolf runs faster than me and running makes animals chase.

Any advice out there?
    Just on an informative note, the bear is unaware of you, happily fishing for salmon - it is, at least presently - not hostile. Of course you can still run from it, and since this game isn't designed to be safe, propably should =)

However, all overt risk comes with the enticing potential of gain.

29. - Top - End - #209

BEAR FRIENDsmol letters
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-19 at 11:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Can I get stats for my spider? I知 know monstrous meduim base but how many feindish features did it get and since I had first dibs did I manage to get one with better than average stats.