The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Tribe! 3.5 goblin only with GGM (General Goblin Management) OOC

Hmmm... I'm not super sure what I should have Skog do. Do any of the other gobbos want to learn to fight like Skog?
    Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Can I get stats for my spider? Im know monstrous meduim base but how many feindish features did it get and since I had first dibs did I manage to get one with better than average stats.
    It has all the fiendish features. The good one was the first one, sadly - I'm aware that's slightly unfair, since that one was kind of a jump scare. But ... worry not, there'll be plenty chances to enhance, upgrade or replace entirely.

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Hmmm... I'm not super sure what I should have Skog do. Do any of the other gobbos want to learn to fight like Skog?
    Yes - rumor spreads quickly, and some gobbos do indeed wish to learn the manly art of berserking. That's not to say they aren't too scared, when the time comes. But Skog get's 5 volunteers, if he asks.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    It has all the fiendish features. The good one was the first one, sadly - I'm aware that's slightly unfair, since that one was kind of a jump scare. But ... worry not, there'll be plenty chances to enhance, upgrade or replace entirely.
    And thus, why I wanted to sleep it.

But seriously fair enough, plus all these are fresh frog the egg. Growth later on makes more sense than being at thier best now.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-19 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #215

And thus, why I wanted to sleep it.
    Yes, but ... it's not like I hadn't mentioned before that the cave was literally crawling with smaller spiders. Lowest hit dice first. It would have done zip to the intended target.

6. - Top - End - #216

Yes - rumor spreads quickly, and some gobbos do indeed wish to learn the manly art of berserking. That's not to say they aren't too scared, when the time comes. But Skog get's 5 volunteers, if he asks.
    Sweet! Now I just gotta figure out the most Skog-like way to obtain volunteers

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes, but ... it's not like I hadn't mentioned before that the cave was literally crawling with smaller spiders. Lowest hit dice first. It would have done zip to the intended target.
    Well yes, but given that almost all spaces have some amount of tiny critters in if it always effects the unstated tiny creatures first then it can almost never be used. Thus why most people agree it only targets creatures with statblocks.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-07-20 at 02:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Well yes, but given that almost all spaces have some amount of tiny critters in if it always effects the unstated tiny creatures first then it can almost never be used. Thus why most people agree it only targets creatures with statblocks.
    I assumed he meant these:
    Spoiler: SRD
    Show
    Monstrous Spider, Tiny
    Size/Type: Tiny Vermin
    Hit Dice: d8 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 10 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
    Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-4 plus poison)
    Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-4 plus poison)
    Space/Reach: 2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Poison, web
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., vermin traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 17, Con 10, Int , Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills: Climb +11, Hide +15*, Jump -4*, Spot +4*
    Feats: Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Temperate forests
    Organization: Colony (8-16)
    Challenge Rating:
    Treasure: None
    Advancement:
    Level Adjustment:

Having a lot of small creatures that aren't hostile in the area is how i've shut down Sleep sometimes myself. At level 1 it is very powerful, so sometimes it makes sense to hinder it.

Also, I think the dice roller hates me. Nat 1 baby!
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-20 at 04:50 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

9. - Top - End - #219

In general, when I set up an encounter, everything that affects the encounter will be in the description. Unless it's stealthed, or invisible, or some such. I mentioned the tiny spiders specifically to inform you that sleep wouldn't cut it. It was a deliberate choice on my part, and it no doubt made it more difficult to win without killing the spider.

This is meant to be high risk, high reward. The optimal outcome is supposed to be hard to achieve. In general, I will expect you guys to outsmart me, or pay a hefty price in normal goblins for optimal results. And this is generally always an option, though I'm not telling you in advance how many random goblins it will take.

Just ... I reserve the right to be devious. That's why the tiny spiders were there. And don't worry - it was a stronger spider, but the one you have is just fine. A stronger spider would also be even more trouble than the regular ones. Nothing is free =)

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

In general, when I set up an encounter, everything that affects the encounter will be in the description. Unless it's stealthed, or invisible, or some such. I mentioned the tiny spiders specifically to inform you that sleep wouldn't cut it. It was a deliberate choice on my part, and it no doubt made it more difficult to win without killing the spider.

This is meant to be high risk, high reward. The optimal outcome is supposed to be hard to achieve. In general, I will expect you guys to outsmart me, or pay a hefty price in normal goblins for optimal results. And this is generally always an option, though I'm not telling you in advance how many random goblins it will take.

Just ... I reserve the right to be devious. That's why the tiny spiders were there. And don't worry - it was a stronger spider, but the one you have is just fine. A stronger spider would also be even more trouble than the regular ones. Nothing is free =)
    Oh, thats fine. I just wanted to make sure the rules were consistent and I kind of assumed that in universe all that works out. I know were not playing with 100% consistent rules and I acknowledge that but it makes trying to be devious harder on my part. I just didnt know that this group of spiders was in any way different to the regular insects and other bugs that exist around us constantly.

11. - Top - End - #221

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    I assumed he meant these:
    Spoiler: SRD
    Show
    Monstrous Spider, Tiny
    Size/Type: Tiny Vermin
    Hit Dice: d8 (2 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 10 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+2 size, +3 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
    Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-4 plus poison)
    Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d3-4 plus poison)
    Space/Reach: 2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Poison, web
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft., vermin traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 3, Dex 17, Con 10, Int , Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills: Climb +11, Hide +15*, Jump -4*, Spot +4*
    Feats: Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Temperate forests
    Organization: Colony (8-16)
    Challenge Rating:
    Treasure: None
    Advancement:
    Level Adjustment:

Having a lot of small creatures that aren't hostile in the area is how i've shut down Sleep sometimes myself. At level 1 it is very powerful, so sometimes it makes sense to hinder it.

Also, I think the dice roller hates me. Nat 1 baby!
    Now would be an excellent time to run

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The Hunt for Pipzy

Plink would like to take the full wolfy cavalry, so 10 total riders in the hunting party. Plink will be one, any of the PC's that wish to come are of course invited, and the rest preferably filled with Plink loyalists.

The mission is- As quickly as possible, use the wolves ability to track by scent and run down Pipzy and her co-conspirators. The idea is to move quickly so that they don't get away, but not foolishly. We are still in unfamiliar territory, and we don't want to run afoul of any predators or biggers. so caution and quiet are the words of the day. Plink would also caution the group that Pipzy may have set traps or ambushes for any who follow her. When they are found, they are not to be killed outright, unless they are violent.

Since the wolves and many warriors will be away from the caves, Plink would order double sentries, and limit movement outside the cave until the hunting party returns. He also "lets it slip", publicly, that he wishes he had a strong lieutenant to rely on, and Oh, how that lieutenant would be rewarded.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesciguy View Post
    Now would be an excellent time to run
    And yet. 2 nat 20s, that 12 damage to the bear in one round! I wonder if the wolf can gain XP for more animal HD?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #224

And yet. 2 nat 20s, that 12 damage to the bear in one round! I wonder if the wolf can gain XP for more animal HD?
    Um .. well, there is an advance scheme for the Wolf, and if it reaches 4 hd it even becomes large. I think it'll be a long road, and I'm not really up for tracking individual XP for companions, and also, if you want the wolf to have XP, you need to share with it.

But, invest in it, and ... all investments will be rewarded (there will also be risk associated though), so name it, equip it ... do stuff with it, and eventually, sure, it'll Ding! And if you feel I've forgot about this, remind me =D

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

If you want to have a contest for the coolest pet, you are welcome to have one.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Um .. well, there is an advance scheme for the Wolf, and if it reaches 4 hd it even becomes large.
    Its fine, if I ever get to level 4 I will just make it my animal companion.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Kaptin Keen, did you need any additional information on the Pipzy hunt?

18. - Top - End - #228

Quote Originally Posted by pife View Post
    No, it's fine. I will update IC tomorrow - at work, like a responsible adult.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Who all is there with the bear fight?
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Who all is there with the bear fight?
    That's just Skimbibble. So, good luck with that (which is already confirmed, with the double nat20's).

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Gah, why are you diploming them! I need to feed them to my spider!

/s

22. - Top - End - #232

Gah, why are you diploming them! I need to feed them to my spider!

/s
    Oh ... you can do both. Betrayal is a core goblin value =D

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh ... you can do both. Betrayal is a core goblin value =D
    Indeeeeeeeed..

And the spiders already got some goblin corpses today. Don't be greedy.

And btw, Gib's rant at Pipzy cracked me up.

24. - Top - End - #234

Indeeeeeeeed..

And the spiders already got some goblin corpses today. Don't be greedy.

And btw, Gib's rant at Pipzy cracked me up.
    Spiders aren't scavengers - they paralyze and cocoon live prey, not dead. So unfortunately, dead goblins get ignored. I've described these guys like they do that just because they're that evil - but really, I think they need the food to be alive as they eat it.

Frankly, they're horrifying little bastards =)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spiders aren't scavengers - they paralyze and cocoon live prey, not dead. So unfortunately, dead goblins get ignored. I've described these guys like they do that just because they're that evil - but really, I think they need the food to be alive as they eat it.

Frankly, they're horrifying little bastards =)
    Plink takes a memo to use only the freshest ingredients when helping to make Spider Chow.

And Skimbibble's wolf deserves a Scooby Snack if he survives, lol.
    Last edited by pife; 2019-07-23 at 06:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

... is the bear dead yet? That's 26 damage so far
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-23 at 06:49 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #237

Sense motive: (1d20+2)[12]
    Counter-Diplomacy (!!): (1d20+2)[13]

Sadly, Pipzy isn't quite as good at this game as Plink.
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-07-24 at 06:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Sorry, forgot the spoiler box again.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #239

Sorry, forgot the spoiler box again.
    As high priest of the Dice Roller Gods, I curse you with never rolling crits, ever again! :p

Also, maybe ... roll some survival to maybe guess why the bear went from docile to ballistic so quickly.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Other than, its a bear with a threat nearby?

Survival (d20+3)[19]
    GNU Terry Pratchett