New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Hello?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Hello?

This is my specific "Greetings" thread.

There's a much better chance of getting specific information regarding myself here.

Spoiler: In My Opinion
    Show

It should be noted that Everything I post is based on the opinion of that subject I have at the time of posting, based on the knowledge and understanding I have of it at that time.

I can sometimes seem a little rude, since I tend to have firm (but flexible) opinions.

Please don’t take offence at anything I post.
    If you feel this way about something, please let me know via PM.

I’d like to not be squished by a Mod!!

I try to live by my Signature's "Changeable Opinion" statement.

For anyone near Portland, OR and would like to meet me:
    PM me or Email
    Dragon Fire

This thread is also meant for anyone wanting to just Chat about any tRPGs (and other stuff) I'm Familiar with:

Fantasy

D&D, except 4e. (Now trying to learn)
    Faerun (some Characters annoyed me), Grayhawk, Dragonlance (loved the Novels - disliked the RPG), Ravenloft, Mystara, Oriental Adventures/Kara-Tur, Rokugon (loved), Birthright, Planescape (liked), Spelljammer (loved), Darksun (disliked)

Eberon = very little.

Ravnica = none. Not a big MtG player, but might start looking up the History about the various Planes.

Pathfinder 1e (a little)

Forgot:
    Unisystem is a generic role-playing game system created by CJ Carella and produced by Eden Studios, Inc. It is used in CJ Carella's WitchCraft (I liked playing and GMing) - Armageddon: The End Times, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, the Buffyverse role-playing games, Conspiracy X.

Thieves World (novels)
    Discworld (novels) [Terry Pratchett]
    Myth series [Robert Aspirin]
    Dresden series [Jim Butcher]

Sci-fi

Star Wars d20 (and movies)

TV/Movies: Star Trek: Classic, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise. Want to start watching Discover.

TV: Battlestar Galactica.

TV: Babalon 5. CCG = bits.

TV: Doctor Who. Seen most reruns.

Shadowrun 1e, 2e and 5e.

Cyberpunk = learning

D20 Superheroes plus Mutants and Masterminds
    And lots of the comics and movies they are based on.

Anime

Pokemon
    Bleach
    Naruto

Looking for more

A lot of my opinions on (D&D 5e) Game Related items can be found in my Ancient Realms thread (yep, both this thread and that one link to each other)

From Alignment and Planar Intrigue to Class Mechanics (example: changing Hexblade) and other things that apply to how and why I Run my games the way I do.

Changes will be posted there.

Edit
    Spoiler: Warning about Phone
    Show

Things I have learned while stuck on my phone:

1) After Posting don't hit the "previous page/Back" button !!!
    There are times when doing this will cause a Double Post, as mine has done more than once.
    Avoid this! Just hit Edit again, and go forward from there.
    Although when I first joined, my phone seemed to make multiple posts even when I didn't do that?

2) When posting on your phone, if you want to keep your Signature displayed when posting an Edit:
    Go down and hit Full Site, and then locate the post you want to Edit, and proceed.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-18 at 09:37 AM.
    My Knowledge, Understanding, and Opinion on things can be changed
    No offense is intended by anything I post.
    *Limited Playtest Group - I'm mostly Stuck in the White Room.
    *I am learning valuable things, here. So thanks, everyone!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Hello?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post
    This is my specific "Greetings" thread.
    D&D, except 4e.
    I played several sessions of 4e... and did not enjoy it. The only version of D&D I actually didn't enjoy for the game aspect. (The people I played with I enjoyed... well, there was one very bad, sour session with one of the DM's when we swapped out our main DM for one of the players who wanted to DM)... But overall, 4e, I didn't care. Almost felt like D&D meets MMO. And if I want to play an MMO, I will just play an MMO. :)

Faerun (some Characters annoyed me), Grayhawk, Dragonlance (disliked the RPG), Ravenloft, Mystara, Oriental Adventures/Kara-Tur, Rokugon, Birthright, Planescape (liked), Spelljammer (loved), Darksun (disliked)
    I've heard other people say the same thing about the Dragonlance game - which is funny, because one of my most memorable (positive) games was a Dragonlance campaign (only lasted about 12 sessions before it came to an end, for reasons I can't even remember now). I think what happened with a lot of people is that the Dragonlance books were so iconic and so well done - that games didn't tend to "match" what the books had in terms of the feel. Dragonlance focused on character development so much as well as having an epic story (in Chronicles and Twins, among others). So a lot of players were expecting the same thing.

So ... what was your dislike of the Dragonlance RPG?

One of the TSR RPGs you didn't mention was STAR FRONTIERS... ever play it?
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

3. - Top - End - #3

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (movie & TV show).

This was the first experience for many to SW.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Thanks for Posting!!!

@Tawmis:
    Yeah, I borrowed the 4e PHB, read through, and concluded that it was D&D's attempt to do a tabletop MMO. Diablo had already done this; and like you, if I wanted that, I'll play WoW, Balder's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, or DD/O.

So, yeah I totally Grognard-ed 4e.

Dragonlance RPG; the (A)D&D mechanics were ok.

Limited spell specialization (and Alignment) based on Colored Wizards, whose power is affected by the Phase of your Moon; not really my cup of tea. These should really have been Arcane (magic) Clerics.

I agree with you on the statement of the DL Novels focusing on the development of the Characters, where this was ignored in the RPG, and most players were just doing DL to try and be bad***es fighting/riding Dragons.

Everyone else I dealt with was either the "crazy Tinker Gnome" or the Super Annoying Kender Kleptomaniac (regardless of Class) that made the awesomeness of even Lord Soth or a Great Wyrm Dragon seem lame.
    (Yes, I know about Malastryx the Red GW Dragon "curing" (some) Kender fearless-ness. It didn't help)

Those two Races and the Gully Dwarves (which made me sad, both IC and OoC) were really not something I wanted to play with.

Everything else was cool. Good History for both Elves and Dwarves. Knights were neat, but no one played one in any game I was in - too many prestige classes (and a minimum of 6th Fighter/3 Sword/3 Crown (12) to become 1st Rose and if wanting max Everything: like nearly ECL 50 to be a 10th level Knight of the Rose) and too much like the *** Holyier-then-thou Paladin.

STAR FRONTIERS: I have yet to play.

@shawnhcorey:
    I have not seen Everything SW, much less read everything for it.

E1, E2, E3, E4, E5, and E6.
    Liked most of this.

I knew about, but couldn't watch all of the Clone Wars cartoon series.

Loved the Thawn trilogy.

Read only some of the Yuzong-vong stuff.

New Jedi Order…… A few good Characters, but this mostly bored me.
    Too much (High School) "Teen Angst" for me.
    Might have missed some things, though. I had to Move, and so haven't returned to read the series in awhile.

Have not seen Force Awakens; saw the end of Last Jedi, and not really sure if I even care about Rise of Skywalker.

I'm not going to spout things about what Lucus intended/wanted for SW, due to not knowing the man.

I can (will) make not-very-humble comments about how I felt/interpreted SW, though.

I didn't play the D6 SW RPG, loved the D20 version (stealing things from Saga for my version of SW) and refused to convert dice with symbols to actual numbers, with the last SW RPG I saw.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-07-28 at 12:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Yeah, I borrowed the 4e PHB, read through, and concluded that it was D&D's attempt to do a tabletop MMO. Diablo had already done this; and like you, if I wanted that, I'll play WoW, Balder's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, or DD/O.
    You like Neverwinter Nights? Might I suggest a web series that I do called Neverending Nights. Got a wee bit of recognition and fame out of it.

I have... no idea... what that means?

Dragonlance RPG; the (A)D&D mechanics were ok.
    Limited spell specialization (and Alignment) based on Colored Wizards, whose power is affected by the Phase of your Moon; not really my cup of tea. These should really have been Arcane (magic) Clerics.
    In 5e, they recommend it as Clerics... In... is it the end of the Dungeon Master's Guide or Player's Handbook?

I agree with you on the statement of the DL Novels focusing on the development of the Characters, where this was ignored in the RPG, and most players were just doing DL to try and be bad***es fighting/riding Dragons.
    Those are players who have lost sight about what Dragonlance was about then...

Everyone else I dealt with was either the "crazy Tinker Gnome" or the Super Annoying Kender Kleptomaniac (regardless of Class) that made the awesomeness of even Lord Soth or a Great Wyrm Dragon seem lame. (Yes, I know about Malastryx the Red GW Dragon "curing" (some) Kender fearless-ness. It didn't help)
    Those two Races and the Gully Dwarves (which made me sad, both IC and OoC) were really not something I wanted to play with.
    Everything else was cool. Good History for both Elves and Dwarves. Knights were neat, but no one played one in any game I was in - too many prestige classes (and a minimum of 6th Fighter/3 Sword/3 Crown (12) to become 1st Rose and if wanting max Everything: like nearly ECL 50 to be a 10th level Knight of the Rose) and too much like the *** Holyier-then-thou Paladin.
    Interesting, I played one of those "annoying" Kenders, but had to do some Q&A with the DM before they'd let me... I wasn't so much about wanting to steal everything and be disruptive... I was, as you can imagine with the character backgrounds I do, wanting to really dive into a fearless type character, who is chalk full of childhood like innocence, out to see the horrors of the world...

STAR FRONTIERS: I have yet to play.
    I loved Star Frontiers - I just wish it got more development. One of the many things I randomly go back on is converting Star Frontiers to 5e - adding way more races and monsters.

Have not seen Force Awakens saw the end of Last Jedi, and not really sure if I even care about Rise of Skywalker.
    You're missing out, is all I will say.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    You like Neverwinter Nights? Might I suggest a web series that I do called Neverending Nights.
    Got a wee bit of recognition and fame out of it.
    When (if) I get back into watching YouTube again, I'll check that out.

Originally Posted by Great Dragon View Post

I have... no idea... what that means?
    Heh. Geezers are (usually) Old Folks stuck on how much "better" it was "In the Old Days", and mostly aren't interested too much in what New Kids are doin'. ("Get off my Lawn!")

Grognards are the tRPG (mostly D&D) version.

I'm mostly a Hipster Rebel Grognard.
    (While I was doing some of the things that are now popular "Back In The Day", I won't claim to be the First to do any of that)

In 5e, they recommend it as Clerics... In... is it the end of the Dungeon Master's Guide or Player's Handbook?
    Something to research:
    Only the Deities of Kyrnn in the PHB.
    The Three "Magic Deities" are listed with "No Clerics".

DMG PDF - Tried Find "Dragonlance"
    Hierarchy: Dragon Lords
    Militocracy: Knights of Solamnia
    Intrigue: mentioned a novel
    Page 68 had DL mentioned.
    Page 9: The Big Picture.

Then Tried: Find "Wizard", and still nothing on this to be found.

Those are players who have lost sight about what Dragonlance was about then...
    Indeed.

Interesting, I played one of those "annoying" Kenders, but had to do some Q&A with the DM before they'd let me... I wasn't so much about wanting to steal everything and be disruptive... I was, as you can imagine with the character backgrounds I do, wanting to really dive into a fearless type character, who is chalk full of childhood like innocence, out to see the horrors of the world...
    See, you wouldn't be "Annoying" to me (except maybe IC, depending on who I'm playing) since you're actually focused on the Backstory, Background, quirks and development of that PC, and what makes them different from other Kenders.

I loved Star Frontiers - I just wish it got more development. One of the many things I randomly go back on is converting Star Frontiers to 5e - adding way more races and monsters.
    I'm interested in seeing that.

You're missing out, is all I will say.
    Meh. I'm still a dedicated enough SW fan that I'll eventually get around to seeing those.

I'm just kinda disappointed by what Disney has done with most everything they do, these days.
    Sure, making money is needed to keep the company going,
    but (IMO) they are drifting too far away from caring about their customers.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-11 at 11:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Spoiler: Comics
    Show

Ok. I started collecting comics when I was maybe eight? Mostly Disney comics, due to strict Religious Guardians.

As such, I'm probably more of a Grognard with these than D&D.

Batman
    I'll admit that my first real exposure was Adam West on TV. Crystal Clear Plots, and more Fighting Action than much of anything else, I still loved it.

These shows were not really close to the Comics, when I got around to getting them.

I absolutely loved Batman: The Animated Series.

And I liked Superman: The Animated Series better than some of the other Superman shows.

I find that using the various comic book Villains as examples for D&D Alignments is, frustrating.

Like 90% of Batman's baddies are some extreme case of mental (or social) disorder. (1)

It's still fun trying, though.
    Especially for long term Villains.
    Some of the interpretations can be .... Interesting.

2Face, Riddler, Penguin, and Catwoman.

A few more Villains, too.

Plus some decent responses.
    (1) This was very true of the comics.

Spider-Man
    This was actually my first dedicated collecting Comic/s. At least until they had, like, at least six different series going out - sometimes twice a month.

The new Movies….. sigh.
    Restarting the now done-to-death Origin/s really didn't impress me. Yes, Mr Lee did Originally have Spidey shooting webs from his wrists, but he dropped that (rather quickly) to the much more impressive "he was smart enough to build webshooters."

Spider-verse is interesting to see different ways to achieve the same effect, but it's getting old.

And don't get me started on Spider-clones!!

I just really prefer classic Spidey (with Stan cameos) and the original Villains.
    Venom being the only exception, but only if they keep the Secret Wars introduction.

I liked a lot of Spidey's Villains.

I think Vulture was the only really Unbelievable Villain. Having something like a Str 12, 80 y/o man, that could somehow get his (about) 100# self into the air, and out maneuver even Green Goblin in the sky?
    Later, some of the "I'm a baby" episodes of him were funny.

Mysterio is second least believable.
    Quentin Beck does some cool stuff, but his Illusion Tech failed to Suspend my Disbelief.

Actually giving him the ability to cast/use Magical Illusions, would have made more sense (to me). With some guest star Appearances from Dr Strange.

Doc Oct in the Spiderman movie was very well done.
    The visuals on his cyber arms was great.
    Them being Sentient as an excuse for why Doc was Evil, nope.
    Never did buy the “I’m really a victim” excuse to get Sympathy.

X-Men

Nightcrawler is my favorite.

I'd have to really search GitP to find my old comments on X-Men. One thing I can remember is that I normally don't discuss this Group/Faction very often. They focus/mirror too many RL Social/Political Issues.

I like The X-Men Animated Series better than most of the comics.

The X-Men Movies…
    Once again, I'm annoyed at how many times a Character can "die and come back" (Wolverine the most, but "Phoenix" also). Actually was interested in seeing how X-Men (as a concept) was going to last after Prof X’s death. Same for The Brotherhood of United (Evil) Mutants, after Magneto.

Avengers
    I wasn't too interested in this series. Yeah, sue me.
    Stories about the Individuals did interest me, though.

But as a Team, they really should have had the fight Civil War caused years ago.

Fantastic Four
    Like a lot of other comics, my first exposure to the F4 was cartoons on TV.
    I liked a lot of what they did, but once they started going into the weird Time Traveling stuff, I really lost interest.

These characters still stuck together, despite literally fighting each other at times.

Hulk
    Frankly, I never did like the comics, and the movies were - meh.

Big Scary Guy what SMASHES other scary things.
    With variable levels of him being Dumb.

I really prefer the old Incredible Hulk TV show - with Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby.
    It was about the struggle to overcome your own Violent (and Destructive) Nature.

Ghost Rider
    I actually did start with the comic series, way before any of the Movies.
    The struggle of an ordinary Kid to deal with his literal inner Demon was neat, and the artwork was very cool.
    Some of the "Monster" battles were less then impressive.

Spoiler: Movies
    Show

I don’t go to the theater very often. Something about not wanting to pay more than $30 (including snackes) to see a movie, I think. That and there are almost always Rude People loudly talking during, or Heckling, the movie. Most times, I’ll just wait until I can get these on DVD/Ray, and watch them in peace.
    The Hobbit and LotR
    Now, while I like Tolkien's Books, I’m not a hard core fan.

The original (1977) Hobbit cartoon was more fun.
    The Live Action Hobbit Trilogy had parts that were disappointing. I’d have to re-watch that trio to give details.
    LotR Live Action was very nice for the visuals and the acting was decent.

Independence Day
    Very Cool. Still need to watch #2.

James Bond
    Most of these I’ve liked.

Disney
    I’ll be honest, I actually prefer Pixar over most of the movies Disney makes anymore.

The Faeries movies (Tinkerbell, Pirate and Great Rescue) are decent.

Monster Inc (great), Monster Academy (ok), A Bug’s Life, Lion King* 1, 1.5, 2, and 3.
    (* Like most Disney stuff - Not really interested in the Live Action version, sorry)

I was reminded about:

Harry Potter
    Spoiler: J. K. Rowling
    Show

While the Concept was interesting, and the fact that it was written for Kids is great.

However, for those that want to try and recreate this with a tRPG, here are some of my thoughts.

Next, more friends; and in all the other Houses.
    Seeing someone from an otherwise "loner" group (Slytherin) step up and be a friend and become a Hero, would have been nice to see. No offence to the character, but Neville Longbottom would have made a very convincing Hufflepuff. Where even shy kids can still stand up for what they believe in.

Harry is a Sorcerer, seems like (5e) Wild Magic at times.

Hermione is a Wizard - most likely (5e) Diviner.
    Should have been Ravenclaw.

Ron is either a (3x) Warmage or a (5e) Battle Magic Wizard. V-Human with Skilled?

Quirrell could be a (5e = Undying?) Warlock

The Wizard's World needs to be a lot more separate from the Muggle World.
    On Another World, or in a Dimension like D&D's Feywild.

I mean, somehow putting a Huge Castle in the middle of England, and no-one notices?
    Ok, sure, it's maybe - what the 1940s - or something; where there's not a lot of Air traffic, but still.

There should be rampaging Norwegian Ridgeback Dragons tearing up Paris, on a regular basis.
    "Merde! It's back again!" and variants there-of.

Spoiler: Star Wars vGalaxy
    Show

I'm still reading the Books, so pardon my lack of quotes.

Some of the things in the SWd20 (actually including Saga) was the fact that every Sith was a Darth.
    There were no Low Level Sith.
    Apprentices were force-using NPC Mooks, and everything else was (IiRC - Dark Side Source Book) a Prestige Class, or something similar.

Now, I do take to heart the fact that the Sith Order (not the Race) were once Jedi.
    As such, if a Sith can cause a Jedi to Fall, this is considered a great victory.

Jedi have three Classes, Guardian, Councilor, and..
    I'm totally stealing Sentinel from KotoR.
    With the Jedi Master prestige class being the only (easy) way into the Jedi Council.

Like just mentioned, Sith were once Jedi, and as such also have three Classes; being the Dark Refection of the Jedi.
    Hunter, Manipulator, and Infiltrator

Dark Side Prestige Classes

Dark Side Devotee
    Dark Side Marauder
    (Emperor's Hand)
    Dark Force Witch
    (Imperial Inquisitor)
    Sith Acolyte
    Sith Lord
    Sith Warrior
    Oh, and I have a different interpretation of "The Rule Of Two" for Sith:
    No master can have more than one Apprentice at a time.
    Masters can get a new Apprentice when the old one either becomes a Darth (7th level) or (more likely) dies.

Also, anyone (Jedi or Sith) over 15th level is considered a Master, even without Prestige Classes.

There is no limit on how many Sith Masters there are. (This means lots more Sith in my game.)
    Unlike Jedi, Sith Lords are not the only Master prestige class.

Although it should be noted that competition against other Sith (direct and indirect) is common.

And very few Sith Apprentices will greet each other without violence lurking in the background, ready to explode at a moment's notice.

Spoiler: Sith Masters
    Show

I’m also creating a Dark Council for the Sith. While these are the most powerful, the Council is mainly to keep the infighting between the Sith (Apprentices are exempt) to a minimum. The only thing that gives the Jedi {and the Galaxy} a real chance is the fact that they absolutely do not trust, if not outright Hate, each other.

Spoiler: Wookiee Sith
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    Because I am horrible at SciFi - I managed to ditch most of the SciFi elements of it and keep it almost "fantasy" oriented.
    I dug deep with some Star Wars lore that allowed me to do some "foreshadowing"...
    But in case one is not aware of the beasts and such, I have characters mention it... So it doesn't take a hardcore Star Wars fan to know it.
    Anyway... Enjoy!
    Please let me know your thoughts, especially since this is Star Wars, where I have run (and played) in the games, but never really wrote anything for it...
    Kashyyyk was a beautiful planet, full of towering treetops and endless amounts of animals and plants. Most commonly known for being the home Wookiees, they lived in treehouses that spiraled up the massive trees. The ground level of Kashyyyk was full of untamed and often extremely violent and lethal animals and plants, which is why Wookies took to living in the trees above it all.

But for one of the Wookie’s greatest enemies, Trandoshans who worshiped their goddess, the Scorekeeper, this was a wonderful means of scoring jagannath points. Jagannath points were earned by committing acts of violence, usually involved in hunting and capture (and more often than not, killing) a target, which led many Trandoshans to take up bounty hunting. But for those Trandoshans who did not have the means to travel far, coming to Kashyyyk and hunting the wide variety of animals was the next best thing, especially if a Wookiee could be killed. A Wookiee’s pelt was worth quite a few jagannath points.

Skorm, and his brother, Journ, were here for that very reason. Skorm was taller than his brother, Journ, and the hue of his skin a deeper red color, while Journ was yellow-orange in tint. As Trandoshans, they were large, bipedal reptilian humanoids from the planet Trandosha, which shared the Mytaranor solar system as Kashyyyk, and as such developed a long hatred between Trandoshans and Wookiees.

Several moons ago, while hunting down Terentatek, Skorm had unwittingly saved a Wookiee from the vicious creature. Terentatek were large, brutish creatures covered in spines, similar to viciously known and feared rancors; they were however smaller than them. Terentateks hunted individuals sensitive to the Force to feed on their blood, according to legend. Using their highly poisonous tusks and claws in combat, they were known for their viciousness, and thus highly valuable for jagannath points.

When Skorm had tracked the Terentatek and attacked, he’d not seen that the beast was already engaged in combat with a Wookiee. The beast seeing that it was potentially outnumbered fled, leaving Skorm and the Wookiee to fight. The Wookiee already full of adrenaline from fighting the Terentatek, had managed to best Skorm, knocking his blaster from his clawed hand. Instead of killing Skorm however, the Wookiee raised its hands and howled, and quickly fled. That had greatly impacted Skorm’s jagannath points in the eyes of the Scorekeeper and the only way to earn those points back was to slay the one who insulted you, and thus removed all your points. But Skorm knew that one on one, Wookiees were physically stronger, and so he convinced his brother to come with him, dragging Journ with him, who had been in the middle of hunting Wyyyschokk, which were giant spiders that made their homes in Kashyyyk, preying on anything that entered its web, whether flesh or steel.

“{Why would a Wookiee be fighting a Terentatek anyway?}” Journ asked in their native tongue of Dorn.
    Anyone else who did not speak the language it would have sounded like an angry serpent.

“{The Wookiee was probably hunting for food,}” Skorm replied, “{and came across the Terentatek, thinking he could kill the thing. Wookiees are fools. But we need to find that fool,}” Skorm growled, thinking how he had lost all of the points he’d acquired and would never be able to regain them unless he killed the Wookiee.

Trandoshans spent their lives hunting, tracking and killing, and once Skorm retraced his steps to where he had originally encountered the Terentatek and the Wookiee, he was able to begin looking at the way the plants were bent, and see the bent portions and know roughly how long ago the plant’s base had been snapped. Through that he could retrace the fight, exclude any recent passage through the area and narrow down which way the Wookiee had gone.

Tracking the footprints to a large tree, Skorm and Journ looked up and saw a Wookiee hut above them. Strapping their weapons to their backs, they pulled out equipment that specifically allowed them to thrust blades into the tree and assist them with climbing such trees in their pursuit of hunting down and killing Wookiees.

They reached the large hut and gained entrance and quickly drew their weapons. Despite the primitive nature of the huts, it was made so that it wrapped around the tree and was extremely large, moving up and down, alongside the tree.

Both Skorm and Journ finally found the Wookiee who had their back turned to them, tending to one of the Wookiee children. There was no honor code in killing Wookiees when it came to Trandoshans – it was merely, “By any means necessary.” Skorm took aim in his scope, a toothy grin spread across his reptilian features as he pulled the trigger.

Just before hitting the Wookiee, the blast suddenly veered upwards. The Wookie turned and saw the familiar face of Skorm and howled in fury that the Trandoshan had returned. Still recovering from the notion that he had somehow missed the Wookiee, Skorm did not get his weapon up in time before the Wookiee was on top of him, strangling him.

Journ seeing his brother being strangled, raised his weapon, but suddenly felt a shove that slammed him against the wall, knocking the weapon from out of his hand. The Wookiee did not even notice as he continued to crush Skorm’s throat. Skorm reached into his coat and pulled out a vibro-blade which he plunged into the Wookiee’s stomach. The Wookiee howled in pain and dropped Skorm. Skorm pulled up his blaster, but the Wookiee grabbed Skorm by the arm and ripped it off effortlessly. Green blood splashed into the room as Skorm howled in furious pain. Trandoshans had the ability to regenerate, albeit slowly, but only if he survived.

Skorm grabbed his blaster with the other hand, and feebly tried to pull it up. But the Wookiee reached down and with a quick snap, broke Skorm’s neck. Skorm’s lifelessly body collapsed to the ground. By this time, Journ was back on his feet and aimed his blaster, and fired – and once again, the blast veered off at the last moment. This time he saw why.

A human holding a red lightsaber was standing between him and the Wookiee. With a gesture of his hand, Journ flew out the window and screamed as he fell to what one might assume was his death, sixty feet below.

The human turned and the Wookiee grabbed him by the throat.

The human dropped his lightsaber and raised his hands as he choked out the words, “I mean you no harm, Wookiee.”
    The Wookiee threw the human down on the ground, still furious about the Trandoshans and the stab wound.
    The human rubbed his throat, “It would seem I saved your life, Wookiee, not once, but twice from those Trandoshans. I believe your people have a thing called a life debt…”

The Wookiee howled angrily towards the human. “Yes,” the human nodded, “I am sure you could have taken care of it yourself. Both times the Trandoshans were going to hit you when you weren’t looking.”

The Wookiee growled again.

“Why am I here?” The human picked up the lightsaber and attached it to his belt. “Is it not obvious?”

The Wookiee made an assortment of sounds.

“You,” the human paused, “you really don’t know, do you?” He chuckled. “Interesting. You moved away from your people because of the constant attacks by Terentatek down below. You left with your family. Your mate was killed and now you have only your daughter to remember her by.” He made himself comfortable. “You do know that Terentatek feed on the blood of those who are Force Sensitive?”

The Wookiee made a series of dubious grunts and growls.

“This is why the Terentatek are drawn to you,” the human explained.

The Wookiee shook his head.

“Come with me. I can show you the way,” the human offered.

The Wookiee growled.
    (my changes)
    “Your daughter? I will see to it personally that she is well taken care of.” the human replied.

There was a long moment, but the Wookiee finally agreed. The man stood up, and gave the Wookiee a piercing look and speaks calmly, asking: "Did I cause their blaster attacks to miss you?' a slight shake of the head.
    "No. You did. I simply helped you realize that.”

The Human stands and extends two strange gauntlets to the Wookiee:
    “Give in to the anger...” the human whispered. “Feel the fury; Take these, and become the weapon.
    The perfect weapon."

The Wookiee puts these new weapons on and nods, and the Human's smile can be seen even in the shadow of the hood. "Excellent.'' hisses the human "I have a new name for you. Maul."

Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-11 at 11:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis
    When you look for games; do you do only local (at a shop, for example), or do you ever do online (like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds)?
    Great Dragon: I am far better at person to person RL interaction. So I look for local tRPG Gamers first.
    I'm doing ok with that, now have three game days at two FLGSs. But, usually the DM.

I'm terrible at Chat sites, I'm not a fast reader or typist. So, it's frustrating for me, outside of a PM chat box. Which usually annoys the other people in the chat room.

PbP usually annoys me, because I have to wait so long for everyone to post, before doing anything again.

And, I'm a little like you. My mind is always active and doesn't like sitting still at all. (Gaming is my medication)
    I'll have lots of ideas that I want to express or discuss.

For those interactive online Gaming sites (Roll20, etc), I would need a desktop computer and dedicated online provider. Not because it's required to have those, but because it's more comfortable and easier to store (and access) information on the computer than my tablet w/flashdrive/s.

For now, I'm limited to either my Phone or at best my Tablet, usually with a hotspot for online connections.

I wouldn't mind joining Discord, but only if I know that there are going to be people I already know to chat with, at least to start. I can look for new people as I have time.
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-11 at 11:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

thanks for sharing.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    thanks for sharing.
    Welcome.
    And thanks for posting.

Spoiler: my 5e Dragonlance
    Show

If I ever ran a Dragonlance game;

Since this Game is more about Character growth, and isn't supposed to be about Munchkin Power Gaming and Quadratic Wizards, I'd most likely go with Ability assignment of:
    13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 12

And put in more Opportunities to get bonus ASIs.
    Combination of IC effort, Downtime Training, and Iron (gold) Cost.

Fighters are easily the most common of all Classes.

Bards are more common than Wizards which would be more common than Sorcerers, who are in turn more common than Warlocks: There are very few non-Divine Beings that can grant this kind of power.

Clerics are indeed: The New Kids.
    As are Druids, but mostly because these are now more active in World Events, then ever before.

Paladins are not required to be a Knight of Solamnia, but there are quite a few to be found in their ranks.
    PC Knights should at least try to not be jerks.

Rogues are more commonly Encountered than Rangers.

Barbarians are known, but are usually called Berserkers, most people don't know about the other types.

Monks are looked upon as Unarmored (and Unarmed) Soldiers.

Multiclassing is very difficult to do, since each Class Requires a Trainer, and few will take on someone already trained in a Class. Convincing (and paying) the Trainer is as required as Convincing the DM.

No real problems with Feats.

Kender wouldn't be Immune to Fear.
    I would allow Advantage against Fear effects, though.

Their most common Background would be Urchin, with Folk Hero up next.
    Least likely are Hermit, Acolyte and Sage.

I'd definitely be changing High Tower Robes to Arcane Clerics, and creating an Underground Mage's Faction. Actually building this, would be fun.

Also, an Arcane Caster does not need to find and overcome a Dragonorb* to unlock Spells over 3rd Level. Those spells are hard to find outside the Towers, though.
    *Doing that does Grant access to unusual spells, though.

I'd most likely change Tinker Gnomes to being like Rock Gnome Artificers, where their inventions actually work, with maybe being affected like the Tech version of a Wild Sorcerer.

Gully Dwarves would either forever remain NPCs, or (more likely) simply be removed.

I think most everything else would remain the same.
    IDK, I'd have to do a lot more research.

To make things interesting, I'm pondering the following:
    Spoiler: DL Magic
    Show

As always, The Arcane Clerics are playing One-Ups-Man-ship with each other.
    Mostly by how much each can 'impress' the "common people".

With the occasional Battle between individuals outside the Sacred Towers.

Meanwhile the Underground Eldritch Council, through the Eight Mages Guilds (Not sure about Battle Magic being in this faction; and Bladesingers are mostly an Elven secret)

While doing research in the World, the Wizards have noticed that Magic seems to be changing. Not the underpinning Laws of Magic; for the most part, spells still function as they always have.

But, more and more 'Magical' Creatures, and especially People, are becoming more common.

People with the innate ability to use magic aren't unknown, but now some are exhibiting new strange powers (new Sorcerer Subclasses),

Now there are People with powers never seen before, and no explanation on how they work (Warlocks).

The reclusive Druids are more prominent now, and also displaying new powers. (Land was the most common, now more Subclasses are possible)
    Even the Rangers are changing. (new Subclasses)

Changes in behavior by some Warriors can produce strange results (new Barbarian Subclasses).

Fighters (Eldritch Knight), and even Rogues (Arcane Trickster) can now learn magic as easily as some Wizards. Monks utilizing new quasi-magical powers (new Subclasses).

Even the classic Bards are changing. (new Subclasses)

And there are Priests with the actual power of the Gods, instead of just those spouting dogma. The Ancient Knights known as Paladins have been reported.

Meta
    Because of the 'polite' war between the three Deities of Magic, magic is more "unbalanced", which is where new Sorcerers, as well as the other magic-using Subclasses, are able to come from.

Another thing that is happening is a limited Invasion from other Dimensions.

These invading beings are only able to grant powers to select People (Warlock Patrons), and all avoid attracting the attention of the Deities, especially those connected to Magic.

Fiends, Fey (no Feywild), Stars (GoO), Celestials (opposing those Fiends), Shadow (modified Hexblade) [No Shadowfell], and Undying. {No Dragon or Genie Patrons, as yet.}

In addition to being opposed by the Celestials, the Fiends oppose each other constantly: followers typically attack each other on sight, and Fiend Warlocks show no mercy to each other.

Being discovered won't make these Beings go away, but can cause more conflict in the World.

Feedback and Suggestions most welcome!
    Last edited by Great Dragon; 2019-08-19 at 11:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Good morning

12. - Top - End - #12

BlackDragon

Salutations in return.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Please take this to the Random Banter thread or start specific threads about specific topics in the appropriate forums/subforums. We can't have every poster starting their own general "hello" or "talk to me" thread.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex