New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

[OOC no one took the bait, I suppose no one had anything to share. Or they've all dropped out.]

The journey to the abandoned mine goes as smoothly as a wagon and four walkers could expect on the narrow road. Herbert explains that the road was build by the dwarves to facilitate the sale of the low quality bog-iron the dwarves recovered from the upper levels of their excavation, which would explain its longevity.

The minehead itself was once a small fortified structure, about 40ft a side, with a gatehouse. The departing dwarves did a good job slighting it however, the gate has been torn down and there are large gaps in the other three walls. From the road, about 100ft from the structure, you can already see the elaborate locking structure for the door downwards.

Perception checks all please!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover
    (OOC - sorry about that - busy work week with travel. Felgar would respond, before we jump into the mix ...)

Felgar watched as the human left, walking over to the door to check and make sure the man wasn't lurking in the hallway. Turning to the others, he growled softly. "You may trust him - I don't. His kind would let us rot than see us returned to our rightful place. He betrays his own kin ... why? His kind betrayed our ancestors and stole the secret of our ancient home. Maybe because he is doing their bidding ... maybe only a dwarf can enter the Kurax. And he's using us to get inside ..."

Felgar paused for a moment as his words sunk in, then he spoke quietly with a heavy sigh. "If he has the way back, we must find it. But don't trust him, or his innocent act." Felgar returned to his seat, letting the others respond. Once it was time to leave, he would depart and follow the group downstairs so he could order a room. He didn't feel like he needed to buy anything right now, but would go with the others to purchase items.

Felgar tromped down the road, cloak pulled around him as he followed the wagon. He didn't ask to ride, and would wave off any offer, feeling more comfortable with the earth under his feet. He rarely spoke to the others, and if he didn't it was fairly terse and only in dwarves. It wasn't until they approached the mine and saw the broken gate that his demeanor started to change. In the back of his mind, a voice started to whisper, warning him to caution. He straightened up and slowed his approach, scanning the area. His grip tightened on his walking stick as he slowly reach out to feel the earth about him. Once he could feel the dwarves and the wagon nearby, he tried to reach out to the surrounding area, seeking signs of anything unusual.

Felgar will use his tremorsense 30' (move action, 0 burn) to check the area immediately around him. Perception - (1d20+18)[21]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12 W +7
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30' tremor sense (1 round)
    Current Burn: 0
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-07-25 at 10:43 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Armadin is taken aback by seeing the gatehouse, and the mine, saying nothing but looking in awe for a few moments, as if realising this is the beginning of a much bigger journey. After the few moments pass, his awestruck face gives way to a huge grin, breaking up his black beard with bright white teeth.

"Aye laddie... this be as good a place ta start as any. This is going to be a journey the Dwarven people will remember forever! A human betraying his people and helping Dwarves reclaim their birthright after it was cruelly stolen by the human's ancestors. It'll be as worthy of an epic book as any story!!"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

It brings my heart sadness to see a place lost to the wear and tear of time, even so base a mine as this. If it truly leads to Kurax perhaps it will be restored and put to proper use again. Either way, we should be cautious. Bandits and monsters alike enjoy using run down mines for a place to hide. He walks tirelessly, not bothering to ride a pony or horse. He is good at keeping a good hustle, however, and attempts not to slow anyone down too much. Now that they have arrived, he kneels down to the earth and makes a small pile of dirt, setting a pair of gem stones from his pocket on top of the mound. In Terran, he whispers to the earth. Morgenstein, friend and ally of my bloodline, come to my aid so that we may seek honor and glory together. The mound of earth shifted, moved, and stood up into a small, hunched humanoid form with the two peridots for eyes. Please help us in scouting ahead. Stay underground and use your senses to see if anything living or moving touches the earth. If there is, try to get eyes on it and return to us. The elemental nodded, something it picked up from Muir. It was always one for few words, and sunk under the ground to swim forward and scout ahead.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Muir will roll perception- [roll]1d20+9[roll] . Morgenstein can move forward under the ground and use his tremor sense to locate anything moving, then pop up, spot it, and sink back down in the same round. His perception is (1d20+4)[6], but tremor sense let's it pinpoint up to 60 ft without a check. Also, his stealth is (1d20+7)[19] if he has to pop up to get a better look.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Perception (1d20+11)[27]

Awrin sits in the wagon, paging through one of several books he'd brought along that now lay strewn around the floor of the cart. All histories of the old Dwarven kingdoms, he'd borrowed them from around town the previous evening, hoping to find some evidence to support Herbert's theory of Kurax — or, even better, to poke holes in it. But so far, no luck on either score.

He's quiet, though his thoughts often go return to Felgar's warnings the night before. Plainly the dwarf didn't trust Herbert — and with some reason, Awrin acknowledged. The lad played to most of the dwarven stereotypes of humans: Immature, weak, disrespectful, reckless. But Awrin suspected Herbert could have been a serious-minded warrior with a greybeard to his feet and Felgar still wouldn't believe him, so paranoid was he. Which doesn't make him necessarily wrong, Awrin thinks.
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-07-29 at 10:09 AM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Everyone who made perception rolls passed by a fair margin.

The keep is not empty. The purpose of slighting the walls is, naturally, to prevent it being used by criminals, unspeakables or others afterwards. Turns out the local wildlife hasn't the same concern. Via your various methods you are able to determine that, behind the gatehouse (so about 100ft away) are 4 giant frogs, about the size of a large dogs. (That is to say, Medium size)

Herbert has reigned in the pony, he's clearly noticed them too.

Spoiler: Awrin, seeing as you are inside the wagon and such know what the inside is like...
    Show
    There is a folding panel in the wall, a combination bed/desk, behind which are a number of books, mostly on dwarven culture (you recognise most of these, they range from solid works of historical scholarship to irritating smoothies of various clans and periods half full of rumour and half filled with mis-understandings), archaeology (a much more reliable selection) and cryptography. There is also a large and new looking Dwarven dictionary and a unmarked slim volume that has been chained to the wall.

You have found some references to this mine, but all you've learnt is that it was abandoned when the iron seam ran dry and that it has been shipping the low quality metal to humans and the good ore back home.

The inside of the cart is mostly lined with tools, all high quality, from small brushes and chisels to block and tackle and a sledgehammer. There is what seems to be a Morwhinian Wheel Instrument (think Hurdy-gurdy) in a case. There is also an answer to your question as to how he intends to see, a set of four brass lanterns with enchanted flames inside them, two normal, two bulls-eye. Finally there is a medium sized safe and a bright blue bird in a cage. You can't quite get past the fact that it keeps looking at you.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-07-29 at 06:06 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #37

ClericGuy

Armadin, oblivious to the creatures ((OoC: Since his player forgot to make the check)) begins to look at his fellows, seeing them pay attention to something more closely.

"Have ye noticed something? I've been a bit oblivious myself."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Felgar raised a hand, calling for hushed tones. "Four frogs, the size of large dogs. At least fifty paces away. Prepare yourself ..." Felgar started to reach out for his power. As he did, the earth began to shift and rumble around him, as dirt and stone started to rise and swirl lazily about his form. Now he could feel the ground even more , as well as anything moving on or in it. He waited for the others to start forward before he moved to follow.

Noticeable effects of gathering power. Using a point to gain tremorsense for 6 rounds.
    Show
    F +11 R +12
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30' tremor sense (6 rounds)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Aye, time for combat. Ready your weapons, and those who are hardier can take the lead with me. My hammer will crush these amphibians into paste, to reclaim our capital!

Muir raises his two handed hammer high in the air before leading the way.

Show
    Dibs on front row.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2019-07-31 at 07:17 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #40

Chimera

"I was under the impression that men usually preferred canaries for this sort of work," Awrin calls to Herbert from the back of the wagon, gesturing to the bluebird. "Really, though, a team of Dwarves will see you safely …" he cuts himself off as he hears a large croak, followed by Felgar's warning.

Much quieter now as he grasps for a bow, he murmurs, "They notice us, you think?"
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by infomatic View Post
    "I was under the impression that men usually preferred canaries for this sort of work,"
    "Canaries?" Herbert pulls out a small crossbow from under his seat. "Oh yes, quite amusing."
    GNU Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #42

ClericGuy

Armadin smiles brightly and moves to the front with Muir.

"Let's make this good 'eh? Show the human what Dwarves are capable of!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Felgar paused for a moment, eyeing the distance to the frogs, then continued to gather his power. The rocks and dust began to swirl faster and faster. His skin took on the appearance of rock with cracks of glowing magma showing though. As he pulled in the power, he waited for the others to advance, knowing he could attack from here.

"I can attack from here, or move the earth to provide cover."

Noticeable effects of gathering power. Full action to gather 2 points ...
    Show
    F +11 R +12
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30' tremor sense (5 rounds)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Herbert:
    "What a time to feel hungry."
    Attack: (d20+2)[12]
    Damage: (d8)[8]
    Cover: (d4)[2] (25% miss chance)
    Reload.

HIT! Frog 1 takes 8 damage

Frogs:
    Upon being provoked the Frogs scatter, leaping in different directions (Double move, each frog is now considered 50ft from the group and are out of cover).
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-08-03 at 06:11 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

15. - Top - End - #45

Chimera

"That got their attention," Awrin mutters, aiming his bow at the already wounded frog. It was good news that they weren't croaking yet; that made it less likely that the frogs were really a crude alarm system for the mine. Taking a quick breath to steady himself, he looses the arrow.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Activate Luck (+3 to hit/dmg for 3 rounds) vs. Frog 1
    (1d20+10)[20] to hit for (1d6+5)[7]

Crit (if needed) (1d20+10)[17]

Last edited by infomatic; 2019-08-06 at 11:36 AM.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

16. - Top - End - #46

ClericGuy

Armadin moves forward towards the nearest of the frogs, as far as he can then uses the total defence action, while yelling and making noises to attract them towards himself, just yelling gibberish. The intention being to either get them to attack him, or run away.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

The frog targeted by Herbert and Awrin goes down, Awrin's arrow tranfixing its eye.

"Pitty, that's the best part."

FELGAR to go.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Felgar scowled at his companions who seemed to ignore his offer. He muttered to himself and formed a small ball of rock that he flung towards the nearest frog.

"Fine ... attack it is."

Using extended range 120’ range, entangling blast (standard action)
    Attack - (1d20+8)[14], Damage - (3d6+7)[15]

Show
    F +11 R +12
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30' tremor sense (4 rounds)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

The rock hits hard enough to crush the frog's skull entierly.

Herbert:"My word, that can't be what I think it is. Marnie would be seething with envy..."
    Reloads and fires.
    Attack: (d20+2)[13]
    Damage: (d8)[8]

2 frogs.
    The frogs attack Muir and Armadin, leaping forward and then lashing out with their tonges.

Vs Muir
    Attack (d20+3)[21] TOUCH
    No damage. (d20+7)[26] Combat Manouver to grapple Vs 19
    IF successful (d20+7)[16] Combat Manouver to pull 5ft (to 10ft away) Vs 19

Vs Armadin
    Attack (d20+3)[13] TOUCH
    No damage. (d20+7)[26] Combat Manouver to grapple Vs 15
    IF successful (d20+7)[18] Combat Manouver to pull 5ft (to 10ft away) Vs 15

So, both are grapples, Muir by an injured frog, and Armadin is being pulled towards the frog.

The other 3, go! (Also, no, Herbert is not a secret Ranger, this is just wierd RNG)
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-08-12 at 03:30 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Muir finds himself being pulled in by the frog, holding back curses as he's pulled close. He attempts to break free, wanting to bring his hammer to bear.

Show
    Roll to escape the grapple (1d20+10)[28]
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #51

ClericGuy

Armadin also tries to free himself, laughing somewhat at the absurdity of the situation.

(1d20+6)[10]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Muir breaks free, Armadin does not...

Felgar!
    GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Felgar advanced steadily, shaking his head at the absurdity of the situation. With Muir free, he drew up another stone a flung it at the unengaged toad, growling, "Somebody cit Armadin out of that blasted frog ..."

Using extended range (120’ range) blast (standard action), no entangling
    Attack - (1d20+8)[21], Damage - (3d6+7)[23]

Show
    F +11 R +12
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30' tremor sense (3 rounds)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Frog go splat

Herbert

"I don't want to risk missing my shot..."

Frog.

Pulling dwarf in... (d20+7)[16] Combat Manoeuvre to pull 5ft (to 5ft away) Vs 15

And back to the paladin, the cleric and the bard!
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-08-19 at 02:54 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Muir gives a stern battle cry and attempts to bring his hammer down on the frog who had attempted to eat him, filled with righteous indignation.

Show
    Roll to hit- (1d20+9)[10] with power attack (1d10+13)[20]
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #56

Chimera

Awrin hops from the wagon and takes another bead on the frog before Armadin gets pulled too close to risk a shot.

"Watch its mouth!" he cries, not especially helpfully.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+10)[16] to hit for (1d6+5)[10]

Crit (if needed) (1d20+10)[26]
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-08-21 at 09:53 PM.
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Will make the Cleric's roll for him
    (1d20+6)[21]

Freedom! Last frog now clear to attack safely. Felgar, you are up.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-08-25 at 06:48 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Felgar didn’t bother with a snarky response or gruff order this time. He simply repeated the blast of earth and stone, aiming for the last toad.

Using extended range (120’ range) blast (standard action), no entangling
    Attack - (1d20+8)[26], Damage - (3d6+7)[18]

Show
    F +11 R +12
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30' tremor sense (2 rounds)

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

400xps a person!

General searchatude by everyone!

Herbert: Perception (d20+5)[16]

Arwin: Perception (d20+11)[26]

Muir: Perception (d20+59)[64]

Felgar: Perception (d20+18)[24]

Armadin: Perception (d20+4)[17]

EDIT: Ok, so Muir I added 40 to that by mistake.

A search of the area locates the following:
    Partly covered by moss but still in good condition, a large steel shield of the style common amoung dwarves when this mine was closed. Masterwork quality. Your guess is it fell off a cart.

Hidden in a crevice in a wall that was likely once much better concealed by the mansonry you find a wooden box so riddled with mould that it falls appart, revealing a total of 389 sp and a large black pearl.

You also find a usable caldron in cookhouse and a total 38 iron bars (1lb each) miraculously intact on a stack of sone blocks in the smithy.

"Strange, most dwarven sites I've studdied where cleared far more completely than this."

Its true, the metal was the main reason for the mine and the shield is good quality, much less the actual coin.

Inside the main building you find two sets of winching gear (the larger of the two is big enough for Herbert's cart) and what looks to be the start of a spiral staircase. The apetures for each are covered with a large stone slab, each of which are secured with heavy chains. Each are engraved with "SPENT MINE. DEEPS ACCESS. DANGER."
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-08-27 at 10:40 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #60

ClericGuy

Amradin smiles clapping his fellow warriors on the shoulder.

"Well done lads! Good to see we can work together, so how shall we split these things, and how do we get these doors open?"

He stands looking at the doors, waiting to see if anyone can come up with a way to open them.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Really sorry, I was away from my computer for a few days so didn't have a chance to respond, I should have mentioned it before I went on holiday.