The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 138
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar rolled his eyes at Amradin moving forward to check the items. Before anyone started loading the items into the wagon, Felgar reaches out to see if anything else was about (OOC - Using tremorsense). He was no merchant, but understood mining, so he tried to use his experience to gauge why the bars would be left behind ... and how to access the shafts below.

    Using tremorsense to look for hidden things. Mining - (1d20+8)[17]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30’ tremorsense
    Current Burn: 0
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Tremmorsense shows no obstructions in the spiral stairs as far as you can "see". The winch platforms are both at the top under the slabs.

    The metal is of the size and weight to be "Daral" or as humans would put it "coin quality" (and indeed has the mine's stamp on the base to signify this). Each bar is worth 1sp to a dwarven merchant, because dwarven law set the price for a bar of this size and quality at 1sp. Humans have the odd idea that dwarves trade in metal bars rather than coin, which is silly (imagine trying to buy anything of value) but it is true that metal is graded like this to allow for easy exchange. There is no reason it would be left behind, even if the miners had cause to doubt their assayer they could just get it re-certified or melt the lot down and re-cast it.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Compute died. Back in action!


    Muir begins stacking the iron bars for transport. "These bars deserve to be worked by a Dwarven smith." He states simply before wrapping straps around them and securing them in his gear. The weight would be near effortless to him, and he meant to see them transformed into something worthy of the metal's quality. He then turns to the entrance to the deeps. "Do you think those winches would allow us to move the cart down below? We'd need to appraise the quality first. Do any of you fine gentle Dwarves have a keen eye for engineering?"
    The Bear is Back.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar nodded, helping load the bars. To the question of the winch, he shrugged. ”Hard to say, but it looks like it will hold. Just need to open the chain.”

    No skills to pick a lock or anything, so waiting for ideas
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30’ tremorsense
    Current Burn: 0
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    "It is strange," Awrin finds himself agreeing with the human. "They left in such a hurry that they'd leave these behind? Those frogs didn't chase them off."

    He turns his attention to the chains, trying to find a locking mechanism that could undo them. "But they had enough time to make a warning sign on the door?" Unless this was made first, I suppose. "

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Search (take 10): 21
    Disable Device: (take 10) 24: If roll needed, (1d20+14)[20]


    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-08-30 at 10:15 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Armadin will nod at the human's statement, and Arwin's.

    "Aye, it seems strange tha' they wouldn't take this with them, but lock and secure the door, so they weren't in a rush. Before we take this metal wit us, can any of ye think of a reason to leave this behind specifically?"

    Roll - Spellcraft to try and determine if the metal may be cursed in some way, take ten (18)

    Roll - Perception to see if anything else may be around that may lead to extra evidence either way, take ten (14)

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    There is no lock, the chains have been afixed to the ground with large iron pins. There normally would be a lock, but its not stritly required. Herbert had some likely looking crowbars and a block and tacke set up in the wagon.

    "I'm not familiar with any historical records of Dwarves tainting any natural resources, even to deny them to their enemies."

    You are aware of some stories concerning cursed metal, but that tends to be as a result of a curse being layed on the mine or the smith.

    He makes a quick gesture and spits a handful of strange syllables then starts wandering around the area.

    Spellcraft to identify spell being cast (d20+8)[26]. (Its Detect Magic)

    "I'm not noticing anything other than on you gentlemen."
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-08-31 at 05:20 AM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Armadin nods, appeased.

    "Thank ye lad. Never hurts to be cautious. Let's get this stuff loaded, and check out the mine, before taking the cart down."

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    It takes about an hour to set up the ropes and remove the chains but you are able to send the larger of the two winch platforms down with the cart without trouble. It comes back up without touble too so you are able to get down to the lowest levels of the mine in about an hour. Herbert has hooked up his eternal flame lanterns to the cart and you are stood before the access to the Deeps.

    There is a complex mechanism to the imediate left of the internal door with four large levers, all currently in the down possition, marked with the dwarven for "Out" "1/124" "Password" and "Danger." The door itself is on large rails and is connected to large iron fittings. The door is far too large for you to expect to move even with Herbert's tools.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Muir steps off the lift and observes this imposing door, tilting his head. "What do you all make of this? Simple lever system, or a puzzle of some sort?"
    The Bear is Back.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Armadin chuckles, looking over it.

    "I've no idea laddie. But one thing I do know, is us dwarves rarely do anything simply."

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar peered at the levers, then moved study the door. After a moment, Felgar concentrated, generating squirt and tick in a slow swirl around him. Then he realized the power and called upon his tremorsense ability. For the next few minutes, he studied the area around the levels and the huge door. Hopefully he could find a connection to the double doors

    Looks like some Skill checks time ...Perception - (1d20+18)[26], Dungeoneering - (1d20+8)[14]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30’ tremorsense
    Current Burn: 0
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Tremorsense reveals a lot going on inside the walls.

    The first lever is connected to a chain system that you can feel with tremorsense that connects to the door. The 1/124 lever connects to a systems of gears and what feels like a counterweight system. It isn't connected to the door, but has parts that feels like they should slide into the first lever's control system. The third seems to connect a chain from the doors to the first level.

    The fourth door, labeled Danger, seems to be connected to a pipe that runs directly to the doors and a chain that goes off upwards.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar turned to the other dwarves and gestures to each lever as he explained his findings. ”’Out’ connects to the door. ‘Password’ connects from the door to up above. ‘Danger’ looks to connect to a pipe ... perhaps a flushing system. This one ... it looks like it’s connected to the first ... perhaps a failsafe to open the door. Or maybe it opens into an alternate chamber. But I’m no engineer ...”

    Felgar turned back to the door, looking around for any more clues with his tremorsense, especially to confirm or disprove his guesses. He searched around some more,

    Anyone else want to take a stab at this?
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30’ tremorsense
    Current Burn: 0
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-09-07 at 02:32 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Clarification, Password connects to the double door, not a door anywhere else AND has a chain going up.
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2019-09-07 at 01:29 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    OOC - copy, fixed
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    "i'll bet it's dangerous, no doubt," Arwin says as he examines the levers, looking for signs of traps. "Maybe the pipe sprays acid on us or something. Could be a failsafe if someone were being forced to open the door, though weird that they'd label it." He starts mumbling to himself a variety of languages and pages through his journal, though he appears uncertain what he's looking for.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Cast Heightened Awareness for the +2 to knowledge checks/percept

    (1d20+10)[28] engineering

    take 10 on search for 23

    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-09-08 at 09:37 PM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    By your best guess:
    Out: Open/Close
    1/124: Sounds like a timing system, possibly auto-close.
    Password: Probably activates some kind of external opening system on the door, so people can get in.
    Danger: That's a hydrolic pipe, likely intended to perform a emergancy close, although such a system would probably do serious damage to the doors.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Armadin watches the others look over the mechanism.

    "I'm glad we got you guys along, this is far and away out of my mineshaft. I have no skill with this sort of thing... other than our own natural talents."

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Arwin explains as best he can what he's gleaned from his inspection. "There aren't any obvious traps, I don't think. That numbered one worried me, thought it was a Doubling Sequence at first but couldn't see a way of continuing it, but it may just be a way to ensure the door stays closed.

    "As for the password, well, we don't know it. So we could take our chances with the first lever."
    He rests a hand on the lever marked, "Out" but doesn't pull it yet, looking around to see if there are any objections.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    "Aye, with nothing else to go on I say we try the first lever. If that doesn't work we can search harder for a password or discuss our alternatives." Muir is cautiously approaching the door, hammer in his hands.
    The Bear is Back.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    "Well then," Arwin replies, grasping the first lever marked Out, "We'd best be ready to move. In which direction, I'm not sure yet." Once he sees the wagon is set to hustle through the door — should it open safely — he pulls it.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


  23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar waved the others on. He wasn’t sure agreed with all the assessments, but regardless he didn’t have any better options. He watched through the stone as one of the dwarves pulled the lever.

    ”I wonder what fun toys our kin left behind ...”

    Ready to go - pull away!
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’
    F +11 R +12
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine; 30’ tremorsense
    Current Burn: 0
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    The lever is stiff and takes a moment to pull free. As it does pull free the Danger lever also switches possition. There is a moment of silence and then a deep, echoing, grinding sound and the massive double doors start to inch open, being swallowed into the surrounding stone.

    "Its always amazing what you people can do with stone!"

    It takes a full 10 minutes for the mechanism to come to a stop. Just outside the doors, the the middle where a cart could pass easily either side, is a stone pillar with a number of buttons with runes carved into them, presumably the password entry system you deduced would exist.

    The air beyond the doors is cold and dry, those of you who have visited The Deeps before recognise the air that has never been warmed by sunlight.

    Before you head any further I would like for you to determine long-term marching arrangments and so on.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Farnborough, Hants, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Amardin is oddly silent, just a bright beaming smile on his face, as if he is remembering a long time a go.



    ((OoC: As for Marching Order, Armadin can go wherever needed, either at the front or back. If he's at the front his Perception score is pretty good, if he's at the back he can reinforce any other area more easily and notice if the line is attacked. Or he can stick close to any other casters.))

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Felgar Stoneheart, Earth-mover

    Felgar, too, feels comfortable and at home. He takes a deep breath and steps forward, before glancing back at the group. ”You are coming, yes? I’ll go first - this is home to me.”. He stared at the door for a bit, then shook his head. ”I hate to leave this open, but without a password, I’m not sure we’d get back in. ”

    While kineticist seems like a squishy caster, with a decent AC, pretty good HPs, and probably the best Perception (+18), Felgar only lacks a good Stealth and Disable Devices to be a true Famtasy Scout

    Tremorsense is awesome, but he has to power it up - he can’t realistically keep it up indefinitely without some meta play (pausing every 36 seconds to refresh). For the sake of expediency, can we say he only uses it when something unusual or strange pops up while he’s scouting? Otherwise, I’ll officially declare it.

    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 20 HP 54 Init +8 Move 20’ F +11 R +12 W +7
    Weapon: Earth blast (+8 / 3d6+7); Warhammer (+5 / 1d8)
    Infusions: Extended Range (F/1B); Pushing (S/2B+); Entangling (S/2B)
    Talents: Geokinesis (0B); Earth Climb (0B); Tremorsense (1B+); Burn: 0/7
    Key skills: Perception +18; UMD +8; Dungeoneering +8; S. Motive +2; Heal +6
    Effect: DR 3/adamantine
    Current Burn: 0
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Spoiler] Dwarves

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    For the sake of expediency, can we say he only uses it when something unusual or strange pops up while he’s scouting?
    Seems legit.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Muir can take point in the marching order, but it'd be good to have someone who can spot traps near the front too.
    The Bear is Back.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Over there!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    You continue on for as long as is comfortable, the tunnel you are in gets wider, although there are signs of incroppings that had been carved away suggesting the former dwarven residents of the mine may have worked to improve access. When you make camp Herbert indicates a number of tie-on places on the wagon where tents or lean-tos can be secured, apparently wagons of this sort are build for the express purpose of archeological expeditions (there is a chance at least Arwin may have already seen one).

    From under the driver's seat Herbert unpacks a small multi-fuel stove that you may recognise is of dwarven design, capable of burning wood, oil, coal or, for the truly lost and hopeless, achohol.

    He makes waffles, obtaining eggs and milk from somewhere in his wagon. Waffles with a crest stamped into them by the waffle iron. Knowlege (Local/Nobility) DC:15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its the Vas Windermere crest, moderately influential merchantile family and of a class that are historically premitted to learn arcane magic in their nation of origin, which is typically forbidden to the common folk.


    After dinner Herbert excuses himself and leaves for the wagon, but he does let his bird out of its cage. It perches on the wagon and seems to go to sleep.

    Discussion if you wish, perception based on listening as well.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: The Return to Kurax [Pathfinder] IC

    "He's a bit of strange one," Arwin remarks quietly, after the human mades his way back to the wagon. "Out of his element, and I don't mean being underground."

    He glances briefly at the waffle iron but doesn't study it carefully, perhaps distracted by waffles.

    (1d20+8)[11] Know (local), (1d20+4)[14] Know (nobility)

    He munches one thoughtfully. "Do you think he's really found it? This city of his could be any of a hundred lost settlements."
    Last edited by infomatic; 2019-09-18 at 07:01 AM.
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •