The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Unraveling Tapestries IC: Interference Pattern

Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    "Aha!" Batgirl exclaims excitedly. "What does a single brain cell know? Nothing! But a million, a billion brain cells together might have an inkling of something, even if it's just the eventual realization that it doesn't really know or understand anything. What does one brain know? Next to nothing, so you get many brains together and maybe, just maybe, there's a chance they'll know a thing!
    Jayden snaps her finger and points in agreement. That's it - that's basically it.

"Anyway," she says and twirls her finger. A drone flies over and positions itself so she can sit on it, her feet dangling a few inches off the ground. She crosses one leg over the other, hand on her knee. "I was just making the point that mundane means may serve a purpose."

"Pfft. Knowledge, of course." She gestures around dismissively. "I mean, I could offer you plenty of other things, if you were inclined, but you are Mysterium, are you not?"

She leans forward, balancing on her drone as she gazes into your eyes, "What knowledge do you seek? If you could pursue any secret, any knowledge, at this moment, what would it be?"
    "Well, there's the question, isn't it?" murmured Jayden to herself.

I'm not saying don't sell your soul, her mentor had told her, but at least haggle for a good deal. Naming your price meant knowing the name of your price - and that was knowledge she was not guaranteed to have. She didn't know enough to ask the right question, the question that'd cut right to the heart of everything and answer every other question by the mere passage of its implications.

"I don't know what knowledge will satisfy me," she said. "I don't know what it is in life that I'm lacking. I don't know anything except that I can't stay where I am. So that's what I want, above anything else - to know myself, the core of myself, my deepest soul. I want to find a foundation that I can build my life on - I want to know the answer to your question."
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Wait, sorry Witch, you might need your hearing checked. Did Hayabusa just volunteer to go immediately and volunteer you with her?! She did, didn't she. In fact, if the two take her up on the offer, it's actually too late to stop it, isn't it. And she was giving off such an air of being the one in charge that they'll probably just roll with it without checking that you're okay with it too. Oops.
    "How do you feel about ropes?" No, get your head out of the gutter! It's a climbing rope, obviously. There's nothing like having a proper line to tug when you're ready to be hauled back up. And even if metaphysics don't quite work that way, it's still one hell of a symbol as far as getting out goes. Even if she won't have a literal rope dangling out of her mouth, well, a sash pulled around the two Mages might very well do the trick.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    "How do you feel about ropes?" No, get your head out of the gutter! It's a climbing rope, obviously. There's nothing like having a proper line to tug when you're ready to be hauled back up. And even if metaphysics don't quite work that way, it's still one hell of a symbol as far as getting out goes. Even if she won't have a literal rope dangling out of her mouth, well, a sash pulled around the two Mages might very well do the trick.
    "They're very comfortable. Ropes I mean. For many uses. Especially climbing, you really don't want chafing on bare skin." She's nodding and making fun because she's down for this. You might be coming at it from different angles, but Hayabusa is definitely down with the spiritual symbolism of ropes for escape. They're all over the memetic symbolism of spirits.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Well, there's the question, isn't it?" murmured Jayden to herself.

I'm not saying don't sell your soul, her mentor had told her, but at least haggle for a good deal. Naming your price meant knowing the name of your price - and that was knowledge she was not guaranteed to have. She didn't know enough to ask the right question, the question that'd cut right to the heart of everything and answer every other question by the mere passage of its implications.

"I don't know what knowledge will satisfy me," she said. "I don't know what it is in life that I'm lacking. I don't know anything except that I can't stay where I am. So that's what I want, above anything else - to know myself, the core of myself, my deepest soul. I want to find a foundation that I can build my life on - I want to know the answer to your question."
    It's hard to tell with the mask that covers literally everything, even her eyes, but you think there's a look of sympathy.

"When I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I try as many things as possible until something clicks ... and that's how I found my cutie mark!

"My answer to my own question shall be your payment then, if that's acceptable to you."

Objectively, this is a terrible plan. Hayabusa is aware that this is a terrible plan. Witch, you can tell this sounds like a terrible plan. I mean, who knows what's going on in there? What sorts of weird rules might apply to a world inside a Changeling's stomach. It's probably got a bunch of special exemptions from reality and magic might not work normally there. Plus, you'll be inside a stomach and that usually implies some kind of time limit and really it's just got a high chance of being miserable all the way around.

"Alright, let's do it! Anything we need to be careful about or to prepare or can you just swallow us up now?"

Wait, sorry Witch, you might need your hearing checked. Did Hayabusa just volunteer to go immediately and volunteer you with her?! She did, didn't she. In fact, if the two take her up on the offer, it's actually too late to stop it, isn't it. And she was giving off such an air of being the one in charge that they'll probably just roll with it without checking that you're okay with it too. Oops

[This is absolutely advancing Hayabusa's new Changeling obsession and she is game to jump in headfirst and see what happens.]
    "They're very comfortable. Ropes I mean. For many uses. Especially climbing, you really don't want chafing on bare skin." She's nodding and making fun because she's down for this. You might be coming at it from different angles, but Hayabusa is definitely down with the spiritual symbolism of ropes for escape. They're all over the memetic symbolism of spirits.
    While you debate the many merits of good quality rope, Nyctimene has found a ball of yarn and given a little trill at one of the owls sleeping on top the book shelves. The owl shakes its feathers, then flies off and returns with a book in its claws. Nyctimene takes the book, opens it and lays it down on the armrest, pages facing up. Then she starts weaving together a short rope as she reads in silence.

Hayabusa, you can see what she's doing. There's a spirit slumbering in the book, and Nyctimene is weaving its essence into the fibers of the rope, creating a fetish. She finishes and examines her work before handing it to Sköll, who hands it to you. "Tie this around yours-self. Activate it by tugging and it'll pull you and, uh, anything you're holding back out."
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

5. - Top - End - #125

It's hard to tell with the mask that covers literally everything, even her eyes, but you think there's a look of sympathy.

"When I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I try as many things as possible until something clicks ... and that's how I found my cutie mark!

"My answer to my own question shall be your payment then, if that's acceptable to you."
    "That sounds perfect," said Mavel, with a tired little smile. "Let's get started."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

While you debate the many merits of good quality rope, Nyctimene has found a ball of yarn and given a little trill at one of the owls sleeping on top the book shelves. The owl shakes its feathers, then flies off and returns with a book in its claws. Nyctimene takes the book, opens it and lays it down on the armrest, pages facing up. Then she starts weaving together a short rope as she reads in silence.

Hayabusa, you can see what she's doing. There's a spirit slumbering in the book, and Nyctimene is weaving its essence into the fibers of the rope, creating a fetish. She finishes and examines her work before handing it to Sköll, who hands it to you. "Tie this around yours-self. Activate it by tugging and it'll pull you and, uh, anything you're holding back out."
    Hayabusa watches with curiosity. She's not skilled enough or even enlightened enough yet to have the skills for this kind magic, but she understands the concept. She's looking for any insights she can glean watching a skilled disciple of the craft at work.

And when it's done, she happily ties it about herself and then hands the next segment to the Witch. "Guess we'll be stuck together for the trip. Let's get going!"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

7. - Top - End - #127

"That sounds perfect," said Mavel, with a tired little smile. "Let's get started."
    "You're looking for a thread. Follow it wherever it goes," Batgirl says and points her finger. "Good luck."

There's a brief sound, like an air gun or something, and you feel a little prick. A moment later you're out cold.

Now, I could tell you ... but I'd rather ask you. What does a City's dreams look like? Specifically this city's dreams.

Hayabusa watches with curiosity. She's not skilled enough or even enlightened enough yet to have the skills for this kind magic, but she understands the concept. She's looking for any insights she can glean watching a skilled disciple of the craft at work.

And when it's done, she happily ties it about herself and then hands the next segment to the Witch. "Guess we'll be stuck together for the trip. Let's get going!"
    "You're looking for Haara's Hand. It may be an actual hand, or a symbol of some kind," Nyctimene explains.

Then Sköll pounces from her throne and opens her jaws wide mid-leap. They grow to encompass everything, teeth and tongue and throat filling your vision before you can cry wolf.

Tell me, what's it like being swallowed whole by a gigantic wolf?
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell me, what's it like being swallowed whole by a gigantic wolf?
    Heart-stopping. There's the moment where your whole body just seizes up, because you can posture and play cagey all you like, but when there is a no-kidding wolf lunging at you, jaws open? That is when every nerve in your body screams that you are in danger. You have to run, now. This is the nightmare scenario of ten thousand hunter-gatherers loping across the plains, hoping that they will eat and not be eaten. You are going to die, your body says, and your stomach clenches, and your muscles tighten, and your brain curls up and gibbers to itself at the sight of teeth closing around you--

And then you are in, and everything is wet, and dark, and in some ways it is like being in the womb again. You are falling horizontally, being pulled deeper and deeper in as the slick walls contract all about you. For a terrible moment it feels like you have gotten stuck, that you will be crushed, that you cannot breathe and now, now you will be digested--

And then you are through, and falling vertically, your skirt billowing up around your thighs, forcing you into the classic Alice pose to try to keep yourself from being hit in the face with your own wardrobe. Your stomach plummets down faster than the rest of you, as your hunter-gatherer ancestors start screaming that you have survived being eaten only to fall to your death. Will it hurt when you hit the bottom? Will there just be a crunch and sudden death, the clock striking midnight, or will you have to feel the agony of every bone in your body breaking and tearing apart your bruised meat?

Then you hit the branches, which slow your fall, and in recompense they demand the right to scourge you with needles and clubs, bruising you and sending up a shower of foliage all about you as you hit every branch on the way down, as the old insult goes.

That's what it's like for a Witch, at least. Perhaps it is different for one of the Shamans.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #129

"You're looking for a thread. Follow it wherever it goes," Batgirl says and points her finger. "Good luck."

There's a brief sound, like an air gun or something, and you feel a little prick. A moment later you're out cold.

Now, I could tell you ... but I'd rather ask you. What does a City's dreams look like? Specifically this city's dreams.
    Ever seen a swarm of birds?

That's what dreams are like on the macro scale. One dream is a complicated, incomprehensible, abstract alien thing that, after months or years of exploration, truth can be distilled from. A city's dreams are an entirely different incomprehensible abstract alien thing that is somehow informed by millions of tiny decisions that nevertheless create emergent patterns, rises and falls that would be impossible to predict by looking at any one dream, or five dreams, or fifty dreams...

It's inhuman. Dreams on the macro scale are inhuman. Singular dreams are already on the brink of being something other but on the vast scale it's an environmental force. A cauldron of raw sensory input that nevertheless rolls, sculpts and shapes. It's the alienness that fascinates Jayden so - the very fact that she can't take it in, figure it out, apply her own tiny little beliefs to that incomprehensible mess to make sense of it. It's as vast as stellar phenomena but without the comforting blanket of math to wrap herself in. How can she possibly say what should be when her mind is doing this without her being aware of it? Is she even making decisions, or is she following some incomprehensible, unknowable, curve and arc of a billion other starlings without ever comprehending why?

Still, though - she has to filter it somehow. Every so often she stares into the Oneiros, the bottomless depths of her Mage Sight, meditating upon the abstract whole - but to accomplish things she does need to assert at least a bit of herself. The most controlled way to do that is to filter it through her own memories. She brings things back until the swarm condenses into familiar symbols - her high school, St. Radcliffe's Girl's Grammar. Red brick, green rooftops, vast and unknown eddies of politics and fashion and power, and a dangerous/powerless outsider smoking behind the technology building.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

That's what it's like for a Witch, at least. Perhaps it is different for one of the Shamans.
    CW: Schizophrenia and glorifying self-harm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the same and it's different. Hayabusa is excited! She has just enough time to think to herself "I knew it!" right before being totally enveloped. Then it's like. It's like a lot of things. There's the physicality first. The consciousness of pressure everywhere, like the strongest massage you've ever had from every side, pushing and molding at her like it wants to make her into a little sphere that holds her whole self. Every part of her has to push back against that. Then there's the acceleration, where you're done being crushed and compressed and now everything stretches out and it all falls at different rates until you want to pull yourself apart into one long noodle. And then there's freefall, that moment when you hit terminal velocity and you actually get to relax because it's not moving that makes your lizard brain shoot you full up with adrenaline, it's accelerating.

That's one part, the main part of Hayabusa's mind just living out her animal instincts, pushing and fighting and clawing to keep herself whole in response to the world trying to tear her apart. There's a second part of her though. It's the part that's spent a chunk of a lifetime doubting. Being told that what she saw and felt wasn't real. That it couldn't touch her, that she had to ignore it. That telling anyone about it would break her life and pull her out of it in a different way. Lights, labs, tests, and knowing old men shaking their heads and sighing sadly. It's the part that says that nothing she's experiencing is real and if you just take this little pill every day, and these other three, that you won't feel any of these things and nothing bad will happen. That part of her absolutely revels in the physicality. It's the part that says visible bruises mean that at least something happened. It was that part, not the visions, that made her start hurting herself in college, the wounds, the cuts, even the broken arm. Those happened. Those things force your realty on somebody else and make it impossible for them to ignore it.

So yeah. She's being swallowed, it hurts, it disorients, it pulls, it makes her heart beat fast and faster and that means she's alive and this is happening, and there's the Witch screaming and falling along with her. She's pretty sure the Witch is real, it would have taken a lot more creativity than she's capable of her to make her up along with all the memories she's got.

She's wearing easier clothing than the witch at least. She leans into the fall, letting the wind hold down her shirt and billow her jeans as the Witch struggles and she cant' help laughing in the freefall.

Then there's the slowdown. It's not gentle. It scrapes and scratches, the sun that Sköll had swallowed itself being swallowed up by dense leaves and needles that scrape the skin and leave little welts as they tumble to a stop. Yet somehow they're okay, the fall that should have shattered their legs instead leaving them shaken up and buried in a huge pile of soft, thick pine needles.

Hayabusa dusts herself off and looks around. Eager to take in the sights and sounds. She looks around with Spirit sight, eager to understand how her magic will work here, how this world that could be all of spirit will look to her and how her workings might take shape in this place.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #131

Then you hit the branches, which slow your fall, and in recompense they demand the right to scourge you with needles and clubs, bruising you and sending up a shower of foliage all about you as you hit every branch on the way down, as the old insult goes.

Then there's the slowdown. It's not gentle. It scrapes and scratches, the sun that Sköll had swallowed itself being swallowed up by dense leaves and needles that scrape the skin and leave little welts as they tumble to a stop. Yet somehow they're okay, the fall that should have shattered their legs instead leaving them shaken up and buried in a huge pile of soft, thick pine needles.

Hayabusa dusts herself off and looks around. Eager to take in the sights and sounds. She looks around with Spirit sight, eager to understand how her magic will work here, how this world that could be all of spirit will look to her and how her workings might take shape in this place.
    Everything in the Material - every place, object, action - has a reflection or parallel in the Shadow. But what if there was a Shadow without a Material world? Or, perhaps, what if the Shadow and the Material were one and the same somehow? Objects and actions that are reflections of themselves only.

At a glance, that seems to be what this is, but it's ... more, somehow? This is an entire world, not just a pocket of the Shadow, nor is it all Spirit. There's Life here, and Magic too. Different life and different magic, and yet the Supernal truths are the same underneath.

As for your surroundings, you're on a mountain side, surrounded by pines and other trees common in the north. Trees that know how to keep themselves alive through the winter. There's no snow on the ground, but a few flakes of white are falling from the sky. The sun seems pale through the gray blanket of clouds, easily swallowed up entirely by the canopy.

A snow-white owl watches you from one of the branches.

Still, though - she has to filter it somehow. Every so often she stares into the Oneiros, the bottomless depths of her Mage Sight, meditating upon the abstract whole - but to accomplish things she does need to assert at least a bit of herself. The most controlled way to do that is to filter it through her own memories. She brings things back until the swarm condenses into familiar symbols - her high school, St. Radcliffe's Girl's Grammar. Red brick, green rooftops, vast and unknown eddies of politics and fashion and power, and a dangerous/powerless outsider smoking behind the technology building.
    It's called a murmuration, and not for nothing. There's a murmur to everything here. Even as you filter this conglomerate dream, turning it into more-or-less familiar visions, there's a murmur everywhere. As if even the stones and every blade of grass are whispering or sending each other notes by paper plane across the many class rooms.

And then a bird cries, loud and piercing and ceaseless, the call of next class (for some reason it's not a bell)

Next up is science. Do you go, and also, who is the teacher?
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Hayabusa is entranced. She picks herself up, brushes pine needles off her clothing and just holds one to look at. It is itself. The spiritual essence of the thing and the physical life of the thing all together in one. It's a pine needle, but it's completely itself. She's feeling the kind of wonder that you'd call stepping out of Plato's cave if that particular metaphor hadn't been done to death so badly that every college freshman made fun of it. Maybe better to say she felt like coming out of water, taking off a mask and goggles and looking at things without any sort of filter. All her vision, all the symbolism of the supernal through which she saw the world were together here and so for her this was the most real place that she had been short of the moment she woke up.

Presently, she drops the pine needle, touches a tree, kicks some dirt, picks up a rock and throws it towards the horizon (away from the owl, she's not that rude) as far as she can and listens for it to clatter off some distant soil. And then, only then, she turns to the owl and says "ho owl. Greetings. We come from Nyctimene, we're looking for something called Haara's Hand, and your world is so very beautiful. Perhaps you would be so kind as to help us?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you remember the first time you ever watched your favorite movie? How, while lost in the depths of delight, you thought to yourself that you would never have this same experience? The next time, you would have knowledge of its shape; you would not be borne along, helpless in the grip of the story. All you can do is relax, open yourself up, drink it in on the biggest screen you can. Let it soak into you; let it become a part of you.

It is right to speak to the owl; it is Haybusa’s right, specifically. It is, instead, the Witch’s role to know the shape of the story from the outside. But can’t she have just a moment? She breathes in the crisp, clear air, and marvels at the colors and how sharp they are. (Too sharp, perhaps. Even here, there are Thorns keeping us on the path.) She opens her eyes, and then opens her eyes again.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

It's called a murmuration, and not for nothing. There's a murmur to everything here. Even as you filter this conglomerate dream, turning it into more-or-less familiar visions, there's a murmur everywhere. As if even the stones and every blade of grass are whispering or sending each other notes by paper plane across the many class rooms.

And then a bird cries, loud and piercing and ceaseless, the call of next class (for some reason it's not a bell)

Next up is science. Do you go, and also, who is the teacher?
    There's not a general science course here. Here on the south face of the building is the technology quad - which means sewing, woodworking, and 'home economics' (i.e. learning how to cook). Over on the entire other side of the school is the chemistry quad - an identical stand-alone rectangle to the tech side, but since it was facing the road it was impractical to lurk behind. Two routes through to it - either through the main square, the huge asphalt open area between the central building and the gym, or through the locker hall lowest level of the main building. It was always a choice to make. The square was a strange ocean of people, a navigation through students going into dozens of different directions borne by invisible currents. The lockers were the occupied territory of the rougher, nastier and bitchier girls.

She wasn't sure if she'd become less refined by pushing through the locker hall or if she'd started going through there because she'd become rougher.

She couldn't remember who the chemistry teacher had been so she fills the role with the chemistry teacher she played on television. One of her earlier hits was a more educationally focused Mythbusters knockoff called On Fire! In that role she'd been very much the Bad Scientist, the one who pushed the boundaries of sense and safety to pull off unique and dangerous effects. On Fire! Jayden wears a labcoat with torn sleeves, artfully patched and stitched, with heavy goggles, pixie cut violet hair, and scorched and scarred fingers. She's funny, electric, and capable of anything - though she does often need to be stopped for her own good.

15. - Top - End - #135

Presently, she drops the pine needle, touches a tree, kicks some dirt, picks up a rock and throws it towards the horizon (away from the owl, she's not that rude) as far as she can and listens for it to clatter off some distant soil. And then, only then, she turns to the owl and says "ho owl. Greetings. We come from Nyctimene, we're looking for something called Haara's Hand, and your world is so very beautiful. Perhaps you would be so kind as to help us?"
    "Hoo. I don't know any of those names," the owl says. "But if it is hands you seek, the Temple of Hands will have you covered." It points a wing towards the distant summit of the mountain.

It is right to speak to the owl; it is Haybusa’s right, specifically. It is, instead, the Witch’s role to know the shape of the story from the outside. But can’t she have just a moment? She breathes in the crisp, clear air, and marvels at the colors and how sharp they are. (Too sharp, perhaps. Even here, there are Thorns keeping us on the path.) She opens her eyes, and then opens her eyes again.
    There are indeed thorns, and as is traditionally the case they gather at the bottom like an impenetrable wall around the mountain and become thinner as you ascend towards the summit.

She wasn't sure if she'd become less refined by pushing through the locker hall or if she'd started going through there because she'd become rougher.

She couldn't remember who the chemistry teacher had been so she fills the role with the chemistry teacher she played on television. One of her earlier hits was a more educationally focused Mythbusters knockoff called On Fire! In that role she'd been very much the Bad Scientist, the one who pushed the boundaries of sense and safety to pull off unique and dangerous effects. On Fire! Jayden wears a labcoat with torn sleeves, artfully patched and stitched, with heavy goggles, pixie cut violet hair, and scorched and scarred fingers. She's funny, electric, and capable of anything - though she does often need to be stopped for her own good.
    You've barely sat down when OF!Jayden bursts into the classroom. "What are you all sitting in here for? You know they won't let us start fires in the classroom. Come on."

And then you're not. Sitting in the classroom, that is. You're sitting at the school's sports stadium, because obviously any self-respecting school must have a stadium, however shabby. There's a giant pile of wood and other flammable material piled up at the far end from where you're sitting. In between you and the yet-to-be-lit pyre is the swimming pool, a bit of water at the bottom but far from full. The water seems freezing, bits of ice floating around in it.

Six concrete mixing trucks are parked, three at each end of the pool. Piles of empty 30kg bags lie scattered around each truck, probably once full of chemicals judging by all the warning signs on the bags. Massive clouds of white smoke are pouring out of each truck's slowly turning drum. They're probably not full of concrete.

OF!Jayden turns to you all. "Listen up! Have you kids ever seen a fire! in 11! dimensions?!"

There are a lot more people here than in the classroom. The whole stadium is packed with students.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

16. - Top - End - #136

You've barely sat down when OF!Jayden bursts into the classroom. "What are you all sitting in here for? You know they won't let us start fires in the classroom. Come on."

And then you're not. Sitting in the classroom, that is. You're sitting at the school's sports stadium, because obviously any self-respecting school must have a stadium, however shabby. There's a giant pile of wood and other flammable material piled up at the far end from where you're sitting. In between you and the yet-to-be-lit pyre is the swimming pool, a bit of water at the bottom but far from full. The water seems freezing, bits of ice floating around in it.

Six concrete mixing trucks are parked, three at each end of the pool. Piles of empty 30kg bags lie scattered around each truck, probably once full of chemicals judging by all the warning signs on the bags. Massive clouds of white smoke are pouring out of each truck's slowly turning drum. They're probably not full of concrete.

OF!Jayden turns to you all. "Listen up! Have you kids ever seen a fire! in 11! dimensions?!"

There are a lot more people here than in the classroom. The whole stadium is packed with students.
    Ah, thought Jayden. This is one of those solipsism dreams.

At least, that's what the self-proclaimed pinnacle of wisdom thought, believing as it did that identifying things in a vaguely self mocking way was the thing that made it worthy of its title. Somewhere intellphysically south, where the gut met with the nervous system to fill her torso with fire and readiness, a very different set of thoughts were occurring: explosions. excitement. victory. hell yea. All of the good things. Knowledge and power maximizing violence, nobody can stand against me. It was in agreement with this trembling electrochemical cascade that ran from her eyes through her cheeks and down the back of her neck that was making up cool new chemicals to communicate how great it was to be stared at by a crowd - to have this much power and leverage, and more with every camera came out...

But all of those emotions and crackling chemicals had to go through the heart - silent, distant, like viewing a party through a submarine porthole. She saw the distant warmth but it didn't quite reach her, felt the buzz but it didn't quite hypnotize her. She'd overdosed so hard on excitement that it felt like her nerves were all burned out.

She adjusted in her seat. Looked at the people sitting next to her. Paid attention to the audience as people, as individuals - as something other than a mass, a thing. What was it like to be on the other side of herself?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

"Are you kidding?" This is who she has to be. Hayabusa needs the proper push. "All the way up there? We wouldn't even make it halfway." Light a little fire, let the smoke stir up Hayabusa's soul. The Witch rolls her eyes and leans against a tree, which pricks her back with pine needles. Hush, little tree. This is the game. This is how it is played. Watch and learn.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"Are you kidding?" This is who she has to be. Hayabusa needs the proper push. "All the way up there? We wouldn't even make it halfway." Light a little fire, let the smoke stir up Hayabusa's soul. The Witch rolls her eyes and leans against a tree, which pricks her back with pine needles. Hush, little tree. This is the game. This is how it is played. Watch and learn.
    "Wouldn't make it halfway?" Hayabusa looks like she's sizing you up, Witch. Like she's wondering how soft your arms and legs are. "Oh come on, if you really need it, I'll cast a spell on you to improve your endurance and breath control." She turns back to the owl. "Well, the Temple of Hands does sound like a place where hands would be. We'll start on our way up there. Anything that we should be worried about on the way? Or anything you need for that matter? I'd like to offer thanks for providing us with directions." That was how these things were done of course. If this owl liked chocolate she probably had a few scraps left, though had she known what to expect for today, she'd have packed a lot more chocolate bars.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

19. - Top - End - #139

She adjusted in her seat. Looked at the people sitting next to her. Paid attention to the audience as people, as individuals - as something other than a mass, a thing. What was it like to be on the other side of herself?
    Every range of emotion is present in this stadium.

There are plenty of excited faces staring at the madness before them, wondering what's going to happen. With that much chemical power, it's gotta be good, right? Some look a little too excited: the people who should clearly not be trusted anywhere near this kind of experiment, because if they aren't running it, they'll get inspired and run home and blow themselves and half the neighborhood up trying to replicate it, or improve it, or just mess around with what they don't understand.

There are some more thoughtful stares: the people who do well in chemistry and who like figuring out the answers before everyone else, also wondering what's going to happen. But the difference is, they have tools at their disposals to figure it out before it happens. Knowledge of chemicals and formulas and it's just a matter of putting it all together in your head before it's put together in the pool. Some are already looking smug, because they think they've figured out the riddle, and won't the teacher be surprised that they know the answer, and won't their classmates be impressed (most of them probably won't).

Then there are the bored people and the stoned people. The people who never pay attention in class, even when it involves fire and explosions and dangerous chemicals. But some of them are paying attention, sort of, because you never know if it'll involve the sort of chemicals that can make you high, or stoned, or otherwise take you out of this world. Some of them are already so far out of this world that they probably don't need this sort of display to be amazed, because they're already having neurons exploding left and right and in at least twelve different dimensions.

A few people are too busy making out to pay attention.

And then there are the weird "people". Things that clearly aren't human, or defy all reason, because a city's dreams - even filtered as it is - must see some strange incursions.

The more you watch all these people, the more you begin to notice ... repeats. A face here is similar, or even identical to one you saw just a moment ago. A face there is clearly the same person as the one sitting over there. Why, there's even a few other Jaydens scattered around the place. As if the dream is some kind of house of mirrors. This feels ... significant, somehow.

"Wouldn't make it halfway?" Hayabusa looks like she's sizing you up, Witch. Like she's wondering how soft your arms and legs are. "Oh come on, if you really need it, I'll cast a spell on you to improve your endurance and breath control." She turns back to the owl. "Well, the Temple of Hands does sound like a place where hands would be. We'll start on our way up there. Anything that we should be worried about on the way? Or anything you need for that matter? I'd like to offer thanks for providing us with directions." That was how these things were done of course. If this owl liked chocolate she probably had a few scraps left, though had she known what to expect for today, she'd have packed a lot more chocolate bars.
    "There are many dangers on and in this mountain," the owls says, "but I can show you the way. The shortest or the safest, it is your choice, for my price is the same: I help you up, you help me inside."
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

20. - Top - End - #140

And then there are the weird "people". Things that clearly aren't human, or defy all reason, because a city's dreams - even filtered as it is - must see some strange incursions.

The more you watch all these people, the more you begin to notice ... repeats. A face here is similar, or even identical to one you saw just a moment ago. A face there is clearly the same person as the one sitting over there. Why, there's even a few other Jaydens scattered around the place. As if the dream is some kind of house of mirrors. This feels ... significant, somehow.
    In most people's minds there are multiple different personality aspects competing at any given point. Kindness struggles with sloth before they both get run over by the rolling ball of electrochemistry. Most of this happens unobserved, unpredicted, and the results of these deep and muddy struggles gets termed collectively as personality. It's an ecosystem just as real as Hayabusa's spirit world. They're sleepy kind of wars, for the most part - skirmishes between knights that leave the shapes of kingdoms and castles mostly unchanged.

Being into goetia is like distributing rocket artillery and nationalism to those factions.

Jayden's Electrochemistry is a powerful faction in these wars, and it is a fast mover - it immediately identifies people are f8cked up and wants to get in on that. Pushed, it justifies itself: I am an extraordinarily powerful sympathetic record and if you're able to find a novel beverage and smash it then you'll be able to reforge the connection to this place later. That might be useful, maybe. Go see what they got. Conquer, and indulge in the fruits of your conquest. It is persuasive.

But the Shivers - the spine, the gut, the tummyfeels - they're the blind dumb sage of this inland empire. They don't speak often but they're never wrong. They're the deeply burned in experience, remembered pain, remembered joy. Thing bad. Why thing bad? Thing bad. What it's saying right now is mirrors. Other usses. Other thems. That's a thing. I know that thing, somehow, shut up idiot. Remember the last time you ignored me?

The Inland Empire itself chips in. I am glorious. They are all here to see me. Including me. Multiple mes. All must harmonize around me. Acquire the other mes and drag them into myself so that you can truly be me. Eat them if you must, I don't know, it's probably symbolic or something.

There are plenty more factions, impulses, deep psychic imprints or whatever all shifting around in the half-light of her brain like an apartment full of drunks each trying to find their own bed. But volition, that strange central impulse that feels like it needs to make decisions and keep this clownshow vaguely on the road, cuts them off before they get to voice their id. What I want right now is to get f8cked up, somehow involve these mirror people, and maybe drag them into myself in a cosmic act of self-vore which the Witch will subsequently give you sh1t for. Let's do something that vaguely satisfies those three impulses.

So her mind in parts forms up and channels itself into a spell. Not a particularly directed one, just a casual broad-spectrum telepathy, looking into the heads of all these other Jaydens to see what's going on up there. Are they her? Past her? Future her? Dream-fragment her? Aliens wearing her face? Also, what are they thinking about, if they're not keeping a school of dazed post-bender emotions vaguely under control?

[Some kind of Mind magic: 4 dice, 1 success]

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

“What sort of odd world is this then?” Hayabusa asks. “Does your going inside this temple of hands presage some doom or some power for you? Why not just fly in when the door’s open? Is there even a door?” She crosses her arms and looks at the owl. “To be honest, I’ll take your help all the same. I suppose that’s the nature of an apocalypse, all the other problems just seem minor by comparison and I don’t care to think all that hard about it right now. Show us the way and we’ll run in your wake and let you in the doors or non-doors. Whatever we run into, Let’s just run!”
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, shortest or safest. A classic, really. Just between you and I, it doesn’t get better than the signpost of loss in Fairyland— but I digress. Shortest? Or safest? The smart choice would be to go by the safest way, but we do not deal in smart choices. We deal in the right ones, and the Witch knows which is which.

[Some sort of Fate magic, 1 success. Which one are we meant to go on— or, at the very least, which one would be more beneficial?]
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show