New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default How okay is it to use characters based off of video game RPGs for a story?

I'll admit, I've had several ideas involving an original world, but I've always wanted to include the custom characters from several RPGs and Turn Based Stratagy games into the mix for additional characters. Is there some kind of code as to how it can be done, and if so, how much can I utilize before copyright problems arise?

(For the record, the games I'm talking about are like Etrian Odyssey and XCOM, games where you can create your own characters.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: How okay is it to use characters based off of video game RPGs for a story?

It has been said that there is nothing new under the sun.

On the other hand, if a lawyer can recognize a character as his client's work it's plagiarism.

The question you should be asking is, "How much of this character did I create?" If the answer is less than 100%, then you need to acknowledge that. With the permission of the creator you can use it. If the character is wholly your own, but was used in a game, then you can use the character but not elements of the game.

Let's say I created Captain Roger for a game of Sea Dogs. As long as I avoid any reference to the governor of Highrock or other elements of the game I'm good. If I use elements of the RPG story, however, I have crossed the line.

3. - Top - End - #3

RogueGuy

Default Re: How okay is it to use characters based off of video game RPGs for a story?

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    It has been said that there is nothing new under the sun.

On the other hand, if a lawyer can recognize a character as his client's work it's plagiarism.

The question you should be asking is, "How much of this character did I create?" If the answer is less than 100%, then you need to acknowledge that. With the permission of the creator you can use it. If the character is wholly your own, but was used in a game, then you can use the character but not elements of the game.

Let's say I created Captain Roger for a game of Sea Dogs. As long as I avoid any reference to the governor of Highrock or other elements of the game I'm good. If I use elements of the RPG story, however, I have crossed the line.
    Thanks for the input.

Judging from this, either venture would have some work if I attempted to do so.

It would be easier to make a modern-day thriller, what with the usual "secret badass organization takes on super terrorist" plot that appears so often (at least years ago), but the work would then have to come in to making said story not violate the laws of the universe.

Going the fantasy route would be longer and be harder however. between trying to reconcile multiple game mechanics and trying to figure out an original setting, more work would have to go into world-building first, and then I can look into the characters. That said, it would likely result in a more fulfilling plot, even if it took a while.

TL;DR-While the basics of the characters can be included with no problem, if anything more advanced got involved, work would have to be put into it.

That's what I'm getting, no?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Killer View Post
    I'll admit, I've had several ideas involving an original world, but I've always wanted to include the custom characters from several RPGs and Turn Based Stratagy games into the mix for additional characters. Is there some kind of code as to how it can be done, and if so, how much can I utilize before copyright problems arise?

(For the record, the games I'm talking about are like Etrian Odyssey and XCOM, games where you can create your own characters.)
    Are you planning on publishing or distributing this or is it for your own group? Because in the latter no one cares and you have free reign so long as your group is cool with it. If it is the former case we can't answer that, consult a lawyer.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-07-09 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The idea is to make sure it's your own work. Or to get permission to use the work of others.

Time is an exception. Westside Story is Romeo and Juliette. The Lion King is Hamlet. And Shakespear shamelessly stole stories which were old in his day.

There are also tropes and formulae which are ancient. The boy hero out to save the kingdom/world/galaxy who is trained by a hidden master and who assembles a troop of rogues to take down the evil threat, for example, wasn't invented by Lucas or Tolkien or Mallory. It was old long before they were born.

6. - Top - End - #6

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Are you planning on publishing or distributing this or is it for your own group? Because in the latter no one cares and you have free reign so long as your group is cool with it. If it is the former case we can't answer that, consult a lawyer.
    No plans on distributing for profit at the moment.

7. - Top - End - #7

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    The idea is to make sure it's your own work. Or to get permission to use the work of others.

Time is an exception. Westside Story is Romeo and Juliette. The Lion King is Hamlet. And Shakespear shamelessly stole stories which were old in his day.

There are also tropes and formulae which are ancient. The boy hero out to save the kingdom/world/galaxy who is trained by a hidden master and who assembles a troop of rogues to take down the evil threat, for example, wasn't invented by Lucas or Tolkien or Mallory. It was old long before they were born.
    I see where you're coming from here. That said, I'm not stealing the plots of the stories from the video games, I just wanted to see what other people thought if I put characters who, while having an appearance in game, are more or less entirely created from the player.

And thanks for the advice for if/when I get into actually writing that stuff.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus Killer View Post
    No plans on distributing for profit at the moment.
    Then you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you don't directly reprint anything and as long as the originating company aren't copyright trolls
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-07-26 at 09:55 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)