New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unicorn party

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Unicorn party

So, my daughter wants a unicorn themed party for her birthday, I've been cooking for a living for a loooooong time, but presently I'm not feeling it. Inspiration is failing me, and everything I see online is just loads of dyed whatever for rainbow food, and unicorn heads/horns made of fondant.

Figured I'd reach out, because fresh eyes/opinions are always great. Looking for menu ideas, playing around in Asian/Cuban/Brazilian/Mexican/Hawaiian right now, tying it all together with lime and cilantro. I'm familiar with many cuisines/techniques, just looking for a brainstorming session. Unicorn puns/rainbow food and such. Hit me with whatever, could at least spark something I haven't thought of. Cake/cupcakes are under control.

As it sits

Mojo pork / chimichurri chicken build your own taco bar with rainbow toppings
    Teriyaki chicken (mrs insists)
    Green papaya slaw with Serrano chili vinaigrette
    Mexican street CORN
    Cold soba noodle salad with rainbow veggies, soy vinaigrette
    Hot dogs for the little ones.

Thanks
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-07-09 at 11:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Unicorn party

If you're going for color, include fruit salad with the rainbow colored mini-marshmallows. If nothing else, it gives you a fallback in case some of the kids are whiffy about the other entrees.

Also, if their concept of unicorn is more MLP than faerie tale, apple-based items are not a bad idea either.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

Thankfully no MLP. Fruit salad is a good idea, I'm definitely lacking on stuff for youngsters, in general though, when people are at my parties they're pickiness is suspended for a bit, my reputation proceeds me.

I'm feeling like I'm not being pun-ny enough, except for the corn, and it's all about color, just making flavors work with my color choices. I wanted to so some mythical themed stuff like a forbidden rice dish for example. I also dont want to have to worry about chafing dishes though.

4. - Top - End - #4

You could do some sort of "unicorn horn" skewers for a visual. Since you'd want it tapered like a horn, you'd want to either cook everything before putting it on the skewer or else go with raw foods. The fruit salad could be good for this if you're cutting up the melon pieces yourself and can control size/shape, since they'd be both colorful and served raw.

I probably would have wanted more Ye Olde Stereotypical Fantasy Foodes rather than unicorn-looking "magical" foods when I was a unicorn-obsessed kid, but that doesn't mean that's what your kid wants. (I would have wanted stew served in trenchers and/or some kind of whole roast animal, I'm guessing. I would have then picked at my food and wanted pizza, because I was not good at predicting whether I'd like the things I asked for.)

5. - Top - End - #5

Since it's kids and summer, popsicles for later might not be a bad idea. Cool, colorful, tasty and relatively low sugar if you so want.

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

Couple cases of freeze pops in the freezer already

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, what sort of foods does your daughter even like? Does she know what her friends like? That might be an idea to start with. Can you contact the parents, because hopefully they know what their children will eat?

Not sure how to address a unicorn themed food without adding a LOT of work, so...I assume she's pretty young, so why not get some party favors for the kids in a unicorn theme? It'll distract them long enough for the adults to get some food.

If you are okay with sugar, a rainbow of various juices/lemonades might overshadow tasty, but un-thematic food. A good, pretty fruit salad is a really good idea so I'm doubling down on what Rogar Demonblud said.

And this is probably going to sound weird, but can you add a white or pale colored dip for the veggies? You can add food coloring to some to make a rainbow effect not centered around sugar.

EDIT: Did some google searching and one idea was to dye cream cheese in different colors and use it for sandwiches. I think a plain cream cheese sandwich is kinda weird, but I'm sure that the OP can think of garnishes to add flavor. Bonus points in that it is very easy to make 'princessy' if we can cheat and do that as well.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2019-07-10 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #8

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Well, what sort of foods does your daughter even like? Does she know what her friends like? That might be an idea to start with. Can you contact the parents, because hopefully they know what their children will eat?

Not sure how to address a unicorn themed food without adding a LOT of work, so...I assume she's pretty young, so why not get some party favors for the kids in a unicorn theme? It'll distract them long enough for the adults to get some food.

If you are okay with sugar, a rainbow of various juices/lemonades might overshadow tasty, but un-thematic food. A good, pretty fruit salad is a really good idea so I'm doubling down on what Rogar Demonblud said.

And this is probably going to sound weird, but can you add a white or pale colored dip for the veggies? You can add food coloring to some to make a rainbow effect not centered around sugar.

EDIT: Did some google searching and one idea was to dye cream cheese in different colors and use it for sandwiches. I think a plain cream cheese sandwich is kinda weird, but I'm sure that the OP can think of garnishes to add flavor. Bonus points in that it is very easy to make 'princessy' if we can cheat and do that as well.
    So. Let me start over. And certainly not singling out tiefling, had a couple replies that indicate people didnt read what I'm looking for.

My resume reads, line cook, lead sauteed, kitchen manager, sous chef, executive chef. I can do ANYTHING with food. I dont need ideas on how to plan a party, dessert is handled, I have an 8yr old - i am aware how picky some kids are, mine is not. My brain is slipping from being out of work and on an endless stream of painkillers from a back injury and I'm looking for punny or thematic food for a unicorn themed birthday party. The only princess my daughter identifies with is Leia Organa.

Not trying to hate on people, sorry if I'm being short, I appreciate everyone's input, just trying to steer it back onto my original question.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

My apologies if my reply wasn't helpful enough. I didn't mean to insult your cooking abilities, but I was trying to keep in mind that you are already making several dishes already.

I hope the party goes well, and your menu does sound delicious! Best of luck.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    My apologies if my reply wasn't helpful enough. I didn't mean to insult your cooking abilities, but I was trying to keep in mind that you are already making several dishes already.

I hope the party goes well, and your menu does sound delicious! Best of luck.
    Again, sorry if I was short. Pain 24hrs a day for 16 months wears on you, I sincerely do appreciate the thought. Labor isn't an issue, cooking for 100 at home isn't exactly relaxing, but my stress level is a $30k day in a 6 man kitchen, I'd rather a home menu be a little more labor intensive than more expensive.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

DruidGirl

Ok, you said you already have dessert planned, but just in case: Something like this (site is German, but photo speaks for itself): http://blog.nadineperera.de/2015/10/...s-game-of.html , but, obviously, unicorn-themed instead of swan-themed, would be sure to awe the guests.

Other ideas:

See if you can get icicle radishes (I've only seen them at organic food stores) to carve unicorn horns out of. Organic food stores are great for unusual coloured vegetables, like violet carrots and the like, which might fit the theme, depending on what kind of media sparked the interest in unicorns.

And perhaps you could make a food that looks like something unicorns would eat? Cress and edible blossoms and the like? Egg-and-tomato fake fly amanita mushrooms would be a more forest-y variation.

Something I noticed: Does your daughter like cilantro? About 20 percent of people hate it: https://delishably.com/spices-season...ntro-Taste-Bad

Possibly not the best choice if you want to feed a lot of people. Just saying. (It doesn't taste like soap to me, but I still hate the taste.)

Would be useful to know if your daughter is more into the mythical looks-a-bit-like-a-goat unicorn or the horse-with-horn type.

I was (and still am) more a fan of the traditional unicorn, and would not have associated rainbow colours with unicorns at all - more with mythical, ancient forests and the like.

"Unicorn" without added info doesn't really say much.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, are we talking generic unicorns, folkloric unicorns, or My Little Pony unicorns?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

13. - Top - End - #13

DruidGuy

About half the menu has cilantro, and even that stuff it's available to put on, not mixed in. Not a super issue, one I am aware of.

Swan work is cool. My wife is a self taught cake artist, does it for cash on the side of her regular job, shes on top of everything sugar related.

Its definitely more cartoony than true mythical.

Apologies once more for being a d-bag, Tiefling. The mrs and the mother in law refuse to stop pushing my buttons, def a little worked up about party planning before even the last 16 months

Edit. NOT MLP
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-07-10 at 03:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Please stop apologizing! You weren't too short and I think all of us understand how difficult and time-consuming it is to arrange a party for a wee one. It's good to hear that you are putting in the effort so that your daughter has a wonderful day. You are not a D-Bag, and I am truly sorry my advice wasn't great for your situation.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenWarCorgi View Post
    I'm looking for punny or thematic food for a unicorn themed birthday party.
    Unfortunately, all my unicorn puns are going to go all the way over the head of an 8yo (for instance: something in the shape of an Uber car). It's pretty hard to do puns for 8 year olds because they often don't have the language complexity to know as many different meanings for words as adults do.

Would she get a pun like corn in the shape of a UNIversity?

Does she know uni- means one? Would "no corns" (a.k.a. horses) even make sense to her?

Sorry, I don't have much.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

From the post title, I was expecting this to be a tabletop gaming post about RPing a party of four-hoofed one-horned adventurers.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    From the post title, I was expecting this to be a tabletop gaming post about RPing a party of four-hoofed one-horned adventurers.
    Yeah. Either that or some kind of political organozation.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #18

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Unfortunately, all my unicorn puns are going to go all the way over the head of an 8yo (for instance: something in the shape of an Uber car). It's pretty hard to do puns for 8 year olds because they often don't have the language complexity to know as many different meanings for words as adults do.

Would she get a pun like corn in the shape of a UNIversity?

Does she know uni- means one? Would "no corns" (a.k.a. horses) even make sense to her?

Sorry, I don't have much.
    Guest list is like 90 adults 30 kids from 2 to 13. Our parties are not typical at all, hit me with your puns, there'll be plenty of people around to appreciate them, my kid probably will too. I've hit her with the 30 Rock "you never heard of a horse-icorn? It's a unicorn with the head of a horse.." and she gave me a stink eye that would make a 30yr old proud.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Tell them you have unicorn horns:

Take sweet corn on the cob, butter it, then roll it in rainbow sprinkles.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenWarCorgi View Post
    Guest list is like 90 adults 30 kids from 2 to 13. Our parties are not typical at all, hit me with your puns, there'll be plenty of people around to appreciate them, my kid probably will too. I've hit her with the 30 Rock "you never heard of a horse-icorn? It's a unicorn with the head of a horse.." and she gave me a stink eye that would make a 30yr old proud.
    Well, "Everyone gets exactly one slice of corn because they're uni-corns" and a horse driving an Uber (because Uber was a unicorn) are the best I've got in the pun department.

Or maybe a single acorn -- a uni-acorn. That's a decent pun.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Well, "Everyone gets exactly one slice of corn because they're uni-corns" and a horse driving an Uber (because Uber was a unicorn) are the best I've got in the pun department.
    I was going to say uni-corn too

Omegaupdate Forum

22. - Top - End - #22

Only other thing I have is that with a party that size, potential issues with food allergies start to become more likely. Something to keep in mind, although I think you're going to have enough on offer that it just means maybe steering someone away from A to B.

Hope it ends up a smashing party!

23. - Top - End - #23

Something with an icecream cone horn maybe

Omegaupdate Forum

24. - Top - End - #24

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Only other thing I have is that with a party that size, potential issues with food allergies start to become more likely. Something to keep in mind, although I think you're going to have enough on offer that it just means maybe steering someone away from A to B.

Hope it ends up a smashing party!
    Thanks, our parties usually are. Most of the time end up kicking people out around 1am.

Thanks for the concern on allergens. I'm well aware, been in the restaurant business for almost 20yrs, have Bershire AHEC allergen certification. I modify recipes to eliminate some of them (such as honey), or leave them on the side (such as peanuts).
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-07-11 at 08:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

What about hamburgers made of narwhal and horse. Its what I`d imagine unicorn tastes like.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

26. - Top - End - #26

DruidGuy

Hmm, I'm not in a horse legal state unfortunately. And I'm out of narwhal.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfFighterGuy

You may not have the equipment for everything here, but I believe due to the resume you posted you have no shortage of ability. So let's see:

Rainbow-coloured/sprinkle-covered doughnut holes -> Unicorn balls, or unicorn droppings
    Glittery or rainbow-dyed Teriyaki meatballs would also work.

Make some sweet sausage, but mix edible glitter into the filling, for unicorn meat. Since you're going for Hawaiian themes, you could instead make homemade glittery Spam and use it in a traditional Hawaiian way. The spam sushi is always interesting.

If you're willing to make your own hot dog buns for the hot dogs, you could take inspiration from the many rainbow swirl bread recipes that exist: https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/r...2-7090842fcea4
    I wonder if it would be possible to do that with tortillas, for the tacos? Since it's more of a batter, it'd probably be difficult.

Unfortunately, most unicorn dish ideas (for good reason) tend towards desserts, or at least sweet. Hopefully you can use something I've posted. The glitter-spam hawaiian dish would be really cool.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

I don't really like the idea of unicorn meat. When I was a child, the idea of eating a poor, poor unicorn would not appeal to me.

I'd think more of what would the unicorns eat? Maybe some salads, since children mostly are not aware of predatory unicorns in mythology, and unicorns are a magical kind of horse, after all.
    Last edited by Erythrina; 2019-07-15 at 01:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dress up as Unicron from Transformers and act all sad when you find out this was not a Unicron party!

Unicorn horns for the kids to wear.

Unicorn chocolate molds, and make some chocolate shaped like horns or unicorns.

You can have a dancing competition . . . equestrian dressage.

Rent a pony and slap a horn on it.

Make some drink like that one from Starbucks that was super popular. We drove to so many Starbucks looking for that thing . . . oh my gosh the employees thought making that drink was hell!
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-07-16 at 10:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

DruidGuy

Party came and went Saturday. A great time was had by all.

8hrs of a rainbow slip and slide bounce house with splash pool was a cheaper rental than 1hr with a pony.

I do love the original transformers movie, very nostalgic childhood memories. Still have my original VHS from when I was a kid. Mt wife did indeed tell me to get a unicorn shirt so I wore deadpool, with a katana, riding a rainbow crapping unicorn.
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-07-16 at 09:45 PM.