New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1170 - The Discussion Thread

Okay, I've been thinking, and I think I understand something now. Specifically, why does a God who challenges a soul's disposition get to enter Hel's domain uninvited? And then I realized: the souls go to her by default. If the judgement were made beforehand by some impartial mediator, there would be no excuse for trespassing.

2. - Top - End - #152

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Okay, I've been thinking, and I think I understand something now. Specifically, why does a God who challenges a soul's disposition get to enter Hel's domain uninvited? And then I realized: the souls go to her by default. If the judgement were made beforehand by some impartial mediator, there would be no excuse for trespassing.
    If the judgement was made beforehand by an impartial mediator she would have nearly no souls, as no one who is impartial exists that would be acceptable to Hel, Thor, or Loki, and Hel would have next to no chance of finding someone partial to her... only the worst of the worst stagnant bums or monstrous cowards would be hers.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Next time, have an adjudication process with an independent adjudicator at set times so people can't barge in repeating arguments over definitions and contract terms. Mind you, I am impressed she knows the deaths of those two souls.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post
    -----------

In the spirit of your name, and the fact Plan rhymes with Man... I edit to adds this Parody

Hel has a plan, Hel has a plan
    Hel has a plan to get every soul she can
    Is it a dwarf, or is it a vamp, Did Roy even know it was in his camp
    Does Throg remain technically the champ
    Hel has a Plan

Loki's Plan, Loki's Plan
    Loki's Plan foils Hel's dumb plan
    The get in a fight, Loki wins
    Loki's Plan

Thor's Plan, Thor's Plan
    To save the entire universe man
    He's got a Dwarf with hammer Trick
    A Member of the Order of the Stick
    A group who is sort of thick
    Thor's plan

Dark One's Plan, Dark One's Plan
    Move the gate to another land
    Meet the Snarl, Sounds real lame
    Dark One's Plan

Loki's Plan, Plans with Plan
    Loki's Plan ruins the Dark One's Plan
    They get fight, Loki wins
    Loki's Plans.
    Kudos! A thing of beauty!

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1170 - The Discussion Thread

I barely log into this forum, but I had to do so to say:

This update is great!

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Hilgya suffers the delusion that she won't go to hell regardless of the manner of her death.

Other than the deluded ravings of a character shown in multiple scenes to BE deluded, do you have any reason whatsoever to think that this will work?

We've seen arguments over souls, this "loophole" is never mentioned by anyone else, even when people are looking for loopholes.

Again, the system is explicitly unfair, we've seen the scene where it was set up, note the COMPLETE lack of any such loophole. The ability to die with honor and get out of Hel IS THE LOOPHOLE.
    Loki set up this entire scenario, if he thought this would hurt him (and sending people who don't die honorably automatically to Hel hurts him, because people who go to him aren't usually honorable) he wouldn't set this up. We don't really know what he wanted from it, but I think Hilgya will go to him, she's his cleric and so he most likely set this up to make dwarves like her go to him (because doing this as a prank on Thor wouldn't explain how it helps him).

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Get rekt, Hel.

8. - Top - End - #158

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    That said, Hel's vote has already been cast and there are "no take backs" on that vote even if she no longer profits from or wants to destroy the world. So I don't see how the Thor/Loki team up saves the world from destruction, per se. That task still rests with Durkon and his family.
    She literally states she intends to kill Durkon while the other gods are distracted from watching her. By being in visual contact with her they prevent this. Which allows Durkon and his family to continue.

Hence "Divine Diversion" applies to the gods supposedly being distracted by Dvalin, but also Thor and Loki distracting Hel.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kereminde View Post
    Also, Loki brought the Filing Cabinet of Holding, I see.
    XD i love it!

just imagine how many dwarf souls are being saved!
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I just realized Hel's repeating the same mistake that led to her agreeing to the bet in the first place.
    She's too focused on the big price, utterly discarding smaller scale wins.

First she gives up the right to have priests- basically PR-people and recruiters for her cause- for default dominion over the dwarves, and now she gives up the souls that got her- uncontested -for the chance to get all living dwarves if the world goes badaboom.

Even better, when things inevitably blow up in her face she blames everyone else.
    And immediately does it again.

Huh. Would Hinjo fall for pulling an Azurite Prince scam?
    I mean it would be fighting evil.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #161

SolithKnightGuy

Ummm
    I wonder
    Will hel be so distracted she just gives up any soul they ask for
    And as a result *Grontor and all the dwarven vampires are resurrected or suffer true death as the imprisoned soul is released
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Man, Hel is really putting her blinders on. She just established precedent for a whole year's worth of deaths to be classified as "honorable."

"Bobby Exampleshield clearly died with honor!"

"He did not! He was fleeing a kobold raiding party and got shot in the back!"

"The same thing happened to Regin Greenhammer, but you agreed that was honorable. Are you seriously trying to contend that an arrow shot by an orc is somehow materially different from one shot by a kobold?"

Even if she wises up to the scam before Loki says another word, just how many future Dedications did she just cost herself? (Yes, she's assuming she's going to triumph here, but she evidently hasn't heard the mortal proverb regarding eggs and baskets.)

13. - Top - End - #163

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by endiku View Post
    Not of fan of this tactic :(

Seriously; the purpose of honor and an afterlife is to reward desirable and punish undesirable behavior during life, so here we are undermining that system and rewarding cowards and the dishonorable.

Are we suggesting that the ends justify the means?

Or is it just "gosh darn it those wacky chaotic gods"

This doesn't feel consistent with the larger message.
    The problem with the system is it depends on how dwarves die not how they live
    So a moment of minor weakness at death damns them despite centuries of honour
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Ummm
    I wonder
    And as a result *Grontor and all the dwarven vampires are resurrected or suffer true death as the imprisoned soul is released
    Becoming a vampire seems to be a separate process and has nothing to do with the The Bet. Durkon died with honor (as evidenced that he got offered the Valhalla retirement package), but that question was rendered (temporarily) moot by the vampirism, which prevents the soul from passing on to any afterlife.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2019-07-10 at 06:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Ummm
    I wonder
    No, since she doesn't have those souls. They are still trapped in their corpses. When the vamp is destroyed, the soul goes to its proper place. Durkon's soul was never Hel's, it was just shanghied on the way to Valhalla.

ETS: Grey Watch'd!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-10 at 06:21 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Ummm
    I wonder
    She can't realease souls she doesn't have. Gontor's soul is being held by Gontor* at the moment, same with every other vampire. Note how Durkon had to wait until Durkon*'s death to move to his afterlife.

EDIT: Screw this, I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-07-10 at 06:22 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's pretty obvious that Thor has been subverting the system and cheating Hel for a looong time. The mummy rot incident might not be persuasive on its own, but we've seen Thor argue that dying from infection after fighting a tree counts as honorable death in combat, even though we know Thor thinks the dwarves are loonies for their beliefs about trees. And if that wasn't enough, we know that dying of alcohol-related illnesses counts as honorable. I mean.

Even though Hel was busy here and she had a good reason to want to get rid of Thor ASAP, I think we just saw a glimpse of how Thor managed to subvert the system to such an extent. She's not strong-willed enough.
    ungelic is us

18. - Top - End - #168

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    Mind you, I am impressed she knows the deaths of those two souls.
    Divine memory. Just like Thor can remember billions of prior worlds and the people/beings in them.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

19. - Top - End - #169

Also, color me completely wrong on the "I don't think any gods will be looking in on the vote."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Banned

So, takeaway is, Thor could have contested these dwarves' souls, but chose not to. Either because he felt it was a futile exercise not worth his time, or because he deliberately sacrificed them in order to have a chip in a situation like this. Either way, not a good look.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-07-10 at 07:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

And here we see Loki at his mythological best; saving the other deities of his pantheon from their own agreements by using the letter and/or spirit of those agreements as a razor sharp edge.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    So, takeaway is, Thor could have done contested these dwarves' souls, but chose not to. Either because he felt it was a futile exercise not worth his time, or because he deliberately sacrificed them in order to have a chip in a situation like this. Either way, not a good look.
    A more generous interpretation would claim that it was futile and that, now, it is not. He didn't foresee the usefulness of that, but now it presents itself in the form of Hel being completely willing to relinquish them all to him, just so she can get to cheat the system by causing a heart attack.

But, of course, the simple fact that the bet happened in the first place makes it very clear how little value the dwarves have to the gods.

On a side note...

"Hi, Pumpkin!"
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-07-10 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

23. - Top - End - #173

So, takeaway is, Thor could have done contested these dwarves' souls, but chose not to. Either because he felt it was a futile exercise not worth his time, or because he deliberately sacrificed them in order to have a chip in a situation like this. Either way, not a good look.
    No? He's clearly stretching the idea of "honor" to a ridiculous extent, what he is currently doing is twofold, slowing down Hel by distracting her, and saving the souls of these dwarves from certain torture. Normally Hel wouldn't give in because dying of pneumonia while hiding a sheet isn't honorable by any stretch of the term, he's using helping the souls of current dwarves to help the souls of dead, which is a great look on him.

EDIT: Ninja'd by The_Wierdo
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-07-10 at 07:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Option 3: taking obvious loser cases that can't be argued on their merits and slipping them in when he knows they'll get rubberstamped. Totally a good look.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    No? He's clearly stretching the idea of "honor" to a ridiculous extent, what he is currently doing is twofold, slowing down Hel by distracting her, and saving the souls of these dwarves from certain torture. Normally Hel wouldn't give in because dying of pneumonia while hiding a sheet isn't honorable by any stretch of the term, he's using helping the souls of current dwarves to help the souls of dead, which is a great look on him.

EDIT: Ninja'd by The_Wierdo
    So again, it's acceptable to only contest the souls he thinks he can save? Why?

(TFW a poster agrees with The_Wierdo over oneself.)

26. - Top - End - #176
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Option 3: taking obvious loser cases that can't be argued on their merits and slipping them in when he knows they'll get rubberstamped. Totally a good look.
    Who is Thor to judge when a case can be argued on the merits? What criteria does he use? Personal convenience for himself? Why is that more valuable than the concerned dwarf's soul?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So again, it's acceptable to only contest the souls he thinks he can save? Why?

(TFW a poster agrees with The_Wierdo over oneself.)
    Hey, I happened to make a reasonable point there. And I did point out that the gods do not value dwarves on account of how they behave WRT the bet.

Besides, you've agreed with me in several aspects, at several times, on several matters.

As for it being acceptable to only contest the souls he thinks he can save, you may have a point there...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-07-10 at 07:29 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Besides, you've agreed with me in several aspects, at several times, on several matters.
    Yeah, but hardly anyone else ever did

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, but hardly anyone else ever did
    Well, that's not our flaw, now is it?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-07-10 at 07:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

Who is Thor to judge when a case can be argued on the merits? What criteria does he use? Personal convenience for himself? Why is that more valuable than the concerned dwarf's soul?
    ... seriously?
    Thor has been shown to argue on the flimsiest of excuses several times. Sometimes there's just absolutely no way you're going to win, and you just give the other side more ammo to reject you ALL the time.

Hell, that's not even looking at the language here that suggests that he only gets one try at disputing a soul's destination, which suggests holding on to the lost causes until some miraculous circumstances occur that let you press an advantage - like the other side being desperate to get rid of you.

Everything he's done here has been capital G Good, and you're complaining that he's not doing it right.