The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Priming a metal mini with spray paint?

Hello all, I have been getting into the hobby of painting mini's and so far only painted the pre primed wizkids minis. My friend has asked me to paint his metal miniature for his pc, but I don't have any primer. Could I just use flat black spray paint to prime it? I don't want to really buy a whole bottle of primer for one mini.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Priming a metal mini with spray paint?

If you keep it to a light coating and don't flood it with too much spray, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Some sprays may not stick well to unprimed metal, but the good thing about metal minis is you can just take the paint off and start over if it foesn't work.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

If you've got a toothbrush, scrub the mini with soap and water first and then dry with a towel to improve the odds of the paint sticking. When you do spray, spray into a medium cardboard box in a well-ventilated room and watch out for drafts.

You can also prime it, so I hear, by watering down some glue (the liquid, not the paste) and applying a thin coat of glue wash to it. This will take a long time to dry and you probably want to apply with a paper towel rather than a brush. I've also never actually tried this method myself so I can't speak to the final product.

Good luck! And if your friend can't/won't buy a four dollar can of primer for you, he is stuck with whatever results you get.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by username1 View Post
    Hello all, I have been getting into the hobby of painting mini's and so far only painted the pre primed wizkids minis. My friend has asked me to paint his metal miniature for his pc, but I don't have any primer. Could I just use flat black spray paint to prime it? I don't want to really buy a whole bottle of primer for one mini.
    Absolutely - been painting for decades now, have used an array of dedicated primers and standard spray paints...lots of good mass market sprays out there, so a matte black all-in-one is a good choice.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season VI