New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Cuphead Animated Series

Netflix announced a Cuphead series based on the game of the same name. I'm excited! Obviously this was just announced and it'll be awhile but I hope it's good! It's a high class 'bout! It's sure to be a great slam and then some!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Cuphead Animated Series

It'll be nice to experience Cuphead without feeling boiling anger every 40 seconds or so...
    Homebrew Stuff:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I feel pretty indifferent to this. Neat game but I'm not particularly attached to any of these characters.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

I enjoyed the game but I'm just not sure what there is to flesh out from it that would be worthy of a show. Cuphead's world very much runs on video game logic - the story is a threadbare Excuse Plot (kill a bunch of bosses to save your soul), when you're not fighting those you're doing run-and-gun missions through a bunch of mooks who aren't even associated with any of the bosses (The only reason to do those missions is for money to pay for upgrades.) None of the worldbuilding elements like the magic spells, ghosts, nor even the Devil and King Dice's place in the world are explained even cursorily.

Compare that to something like Castlevania - where you have a villain and his subordinates with motivations and goals (not all of which are the same), protagonists with whole arcs who also have motivations and goals, and a world with history. Yeah the game they came from didn't dive deep into all of that, but the manual and the other titles in the franchise certainly did (to say nothing of the source material - come on, it's Dracula!), so they had a lot to draw from. I'm just not seeing that for Cuphead.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel that, just like the game, a good part of the main draw of the show is the art style and the homage to earlier cartoons. With a lot of recent cartoons being very similar-looking, something like Cuphead could be refreshing.

Anyway, not waiting for it with bated breath, but it could be light hearted fun and a breath of fresh air as far as animation goes. If it works well and is sucessfull we might see some more shows with this style of drawing/animation, which would be nice IMO.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.