The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A kidnapping in Magnimar OOC

Nicolae is standing ready to receive it, though I hadn't thought of it until you asked the question.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Does Allen include anyone else in his second casting of Past Sight? Dawn, as I understand it, is right there on the ladder.
    on that past sight does the subject have to be willing , or allow a save if unwilling?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Campaign traits are not allowed. Especially not "Finding your kin". Especially not stacking it with FCB.

EDIT: Magical Knack does not work with spherecasting. Basically, spherecasting is not spellcasting and abilities can't be brought over; especially things that adjust caster level. You can take the Gift for Magic trait to gain +2 CL with the Time sphere instead.

(Or you can rejigger your gold to buy a +2 Time staff, or whatever else - as long as the character retains his ability to cast Past Sight at CL 8.)
    Quote Originally Posted by magical knack
    Benefit: Pick a class when you gain this trait—your caster level in that class gains a +2 trait bonus as long as this bonus doesn’t raise your caster level above your current Hit Dice.
    Magical Knack doesn't say spellcaster. It says my caster level is higher. The writers used the same word, so it does function by raw. It's more like FoB a monk uses in this case, but you could literally apply anything that says caster level to a sphere caster (which is very much intended), and you can apply Magical Knack to classes that don't have either form of casting.

I can rejigger things to nerf the effect, but in generally I spent a trait to fix the poorly designed scaling of half casters in general. The designers of spherecaster really didn't get the memo, after all look at the sphere paladin class archetype. 1/2 on top of the -2 paladins have in PF? With the half casting progression you're already known fewer effects and over 20 levels will have -10 penalty to hit and your DCs will be 5 lower, before applying the -2... You're exponentially worse as you level, and that's before accounting for the stilted scaling of non damaging effect, you might as well not know casting at all and just buy items that have casting on them!

I guess technically I could use an implement if it's melded into my Polymorph fox form, if I'm just using it for CL. The other changes will take probably... 3 to 4 days. I need to figure out what to do about my newfound frailty for a melee fighter, replace a skill, remove an item, etc.
    Does Allen include anyone else in his second casting of Past Sight? Dawn, as I understand it, is right there on the ladder.
    I can spend the point to include others if others are interested.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-07-18 at 08:54 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Magical Knack doesn't say spellcaster. It says my caster level is higher. The writers used the same word, so it does function by raw. It's more like FoB a monk uses in this case, but you could literally apply anything that says caster level to a sphere caster (which is very much intended), and you can apply Magical Knack to classes that don't have either form of casting.
    My ruling stands.

I can rejigger things to nerf the effect, but in generally I spent a trait to fix the poorly designed scaling of half casters in general. The designers of spherecaster really didn't get the memo, after all look at the sphere paladin class archetype. 1/2 on top of the -2 paladins have in PF? With the half casting progression you're already known fewer effects and over 20 levels will have -10 penalty to hit and your DCs will be 5 lower, before applying the -2... You're exponentially worse as you level, and that's before accounting for the stilted scaling of non damaging effect, you might as well not know casting at all and just buy items that have casting on them!

I guess technically I could use an implement if it's melded into my Polymorph fox form, if I'm just using it for CL. The other changes will take probably... 3 to 4 days. I need to figure out what to do about my newfound frailty for a melee fighter, replace a skill, remove an item, etc.

I can spend the point to include others if others are interested.
    Totally agree that Sphere Paladin is terrible, which is why every later spherecasting paladin archetype has normal low casting. But Archaic Alchemist is a medium-caster, not a low caster, doesn't carry a level penalty on top of that, and we are not playing at level 20.
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I've got the -1 to DC and attacks, -2 to spell penetration, -2 to concentration you've requested. It's still an exponential penalty.

My build is too expensive. Double costs to get attack bonuses from necklace because of gimmick form, with added bonus of expensive ring to speak. Paying through the nose to know my gimmick spells. Etc. I can't afford not to have a trait.

I'll just take a different trait that does the same thing but for only 1 sphere that I don't want CL on otherwise.

Looking for a good trait to fill in the other half of additional traits.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Post a link for Nicolaes sheet please.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #37

Sure, it's here.

I posted it on the recruitment thread, but I didn't think about it when we moved here.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Let's see if Tena recognizes this thing! EDIT: She just might if it's an outsider.

Spoiler: Knowledge rolls for the eyes-and-mouth monster
    Show

Arcana (d20+6)[9]
    Dungeoneering (d20+6)[22]
    Planes (d20+9)[13]
    Religion (d20+6)[24]
    Last edited by Just Helping; 2019-07-20 at 06:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

my pc cant roll for it but description and effects wise my guess is beholder/eye tyrant or the like

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

None of you know the details of what this creature is, or a name, but you do realize that it is dangerous, considering the multiple high-level spells it just threw around.
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Just waving hello. The action is happening around the meting table right now.
    Semper ludens.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah I will post shortly.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Knowledge (local) roll to see just how much Tena knows about the drug den in her neighborhood.

(d20+6)[19]

EDIT: A 19 isn't bad. No insights into anything truly secret, if I'm remembering correctly.
    Last edited by Just Helping; 2019-07-31 at 12:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just Helping View Post
    Knowledge (local) roll to see just how much Tena knows about the drug den in her neighborhood.

[roll0]

EDIT: A 19 isn't bad. No insights into anything truly secret, if I'm remembering correctly.
    Spoiler: Almost useful information
    Show
    It's a nice place. The drugs are the good stuff. It's also a great place to rent a room for any kind of skullduggery.
    Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

So is everyone cool with heading to the tavern.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

yep lets go to the tavern.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

The Dreaming Dryad really is a fair bit classier than a tavern, but yes let's go please.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

edit revised situation
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-29 at 02:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Unfortunate, but the show must go on.

I think we're all ready to move on.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Aliright guys. I'm busy all weekend, but i will move the action forward to the dreaming dryad early monday.
    Semper ludens.

21. - Top - End - #51

It seems I didn't entirely think through the obvious downside of "looking for work" as an excuse to scope out the Dreaming Dryad - the fact that we might actually find it.

Ah well, just have to deal with it as it comes.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Allen does speak varisian and shoanti though. SHould Allen start chatitng him up?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2019-08-19 at 11:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Look at this unit. The absolute orbness of this lad.

24. - Top - End - #54

Well, Nicolae has finally managed to get a bit of information out of Horvon, though there's no guarantee that he's actually connected to the case. It could all be a grand coincidence - but Nicolae hasn't survived so far by ignoring suspicious coincidences.

Nicolae's plan now has two parts. The first is to ask for secrets in lieu of the offered payment, presenting himself as too rich to really care about the money. The second is to follow the Shoanti afterward, and find out more that way. At the moment Horvon is too promising a lead to miss, despite the time cost.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hjolnai View Post
    Well, Nicolae has finally managed to get a bit of information out of Horvon, though there's no guarantee that he's actually connected to the case. It could all be a grand coincidence - but Nicolae hasn't survived so far by ignoring suspicious coincidences.

Nicolae's plan now has two parts. The first is to ask for secrets in lieu of the offered payment, presenting himself as too rich to really care about the money. The second is to follow the Shoanti afterward, and find out more that way. At the moment Horvon is too promising a lead to miss, despite the time cost.
    Yep, this scenario is already bucking the rails fiercely. Not bad :-)
    Semper ludens.

26. - Top - End - #56

Yep, this scenario is already bucking the rails fiercely. Not bad :-)
    Doubly so because Nicolae believes in the power of the blood oath. If he can't persuade any of the rest of the party to join in, it's going to be a very difficult attack.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

If it's not obvious I plan to swipe the body. Maybe use it as evidence to call of the trade.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Absent some surprising developments, violence is going to erupt in the common room; get your initiative rolls in!

Map to follow, but now is time for sleep.
    Semper ludens.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Gary Griffin will dismiss Heightened Awareness to gain +4 to initiative: (1d20+8)[28]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

With Clockwatcher prepped, Tena is not able to be surprised.

Initiative for Tena: (1d20+9)[29]