New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Warrington Woes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Warrington Woes

Nothing has been heard from Wistendale for two months. The reserves supply of minerals is below ½ it’s usual level and the King is worried. He has sent out a call for volunteers among his soldiers, citizens, and visitors from other nations.

You now stand in the antechamber of King Barnabas I. He is a young king, only 16 years of age. Despite that, it is said he has wisdom beyond his years. He keeps several members of Arcanan on staff as advisors, but he rarely calls on their services. He rarely acts without thought and contemplation. Many ridiculed him for not sending out a detail to Wistendale sooner, and truth be told, only the mineral reserve dropping below 50% convinced him to call this expedition.

The antechamber is rather large. To the east is the door leading back to the castle entrance. To the west are the great double doors leading to the throne room. A pair of the king’s personal guard flanks the doors.

Chosen from The Guardsmen, these to are truly specimens of strength. They stand rock steady as statues. Mighty halberds held in their right hands, longswords hang at their left hip, and bucklers baring the Kings crest are strapped to their left arm. They wear a breastplate, also baring the Kings Crest, over the finest mithral chain mail. These soldiers know only devotion to the King and are forbidden to ever leave the castle so long as they are in the King’s service.

It is approximately 15 minutes until the appointed time King Barnabas is to present the details of his task to you. The courtier that brought you this far stands to one side awaiting any small questions you may have. His last statements were brief instructions on your audience with the King. “Remember walk straight and stand proud as you enter the Throne Room and approach the King. Stop when you reach the base of the throne and kneel. Don’t rise again until you have been addressed. If you have any questions I will answer them after your audience. Now just mingle and please don’t wander off.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Warrington Woes

Ten Foot Stu

Stu felt naked without his glaive. They trust me to protect them, to hunt and kill their enemies, but not to have a weapon near their king.

The courtier's words made no impact on the grim-faced orc, whose jaw was already set with tension in the hoity-toity surroundings. Of course I will keep my back straight. Kneeling? Well, we'll see what the royal whelp is like. He couldn't quite shake the feeling that everything he tried to touch would shatter in his fist.

Stu glanced over at his five companions. A man, three elves, and a half-breed. Huh. With care, he kept his lip from curling, and managed a smile at Atherin, the elf who had brought him in on this job.

Stepping carefully over to the human, he sized him up. A good, steady eye. This one, I might be able to trust beside me. The massive orc extended a hand slowly in greeting.

Stu.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fantastic Felix

A young man stands in the middle of the antechamber, grinning broadly. He pulls his hands out of the pockets of a green vest to ruffle his dusty blonde hair, looking around the room.

He smiles. "All this must have cost a pretty penny," he remarks casually to nobody in particular, "nice place, this."

He grins, and saunters over to the king's personal guard. Propping himself up against the wall, he turns to the nearest guardsman. "Nice place you got here! How long you been in the guard, anyway?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information check to learn a bit about the guardsman.

(1d20+8)[12]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Atherin

The golden-haired young elf stands in the centre of the antechamber, looking quite out-of-place in the setting of stone. He is about five-and-a-half feet tall, and slim. His face is shapely and regal, like all elves, and his movements are precise and graceful. He wears light, well-worn clothing of forest greens and browns; a mithral chain shirt glints from beneath. He wears a belt pouch, but no backpack, and two simple rings adorn his fingers. An arrow-quiver, empty in the near-presence of a king, is on his right leg. A large circle of thick, scratched leather is strapped over his left shoulder.

Atherin grins and nods encouragingly at Stu, then introduces himself to the other four. "Hey. I'm Atherin of the Roaming Guard," he says, looking at each in turn.
    Last edited by Naleh; 2007-10-09 at 03:48 AM. Reason: expanded the description slightly

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Upon Felix's greeting the Royal Guardsman stands straight and proud. He neither acknowledges Felix's presence or answers his question. The courtier hurries over to Felix. "I would not speak to them. They are not allowed to take any action outside of their guard duties when on station. If you can catch one off duty, they will usually be friendly enough." The courtier remains with Felix. He is obviously anxious for Felix to leave the Royal Guardsman be.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

6. - Top - End - #6

Strennr

Standing there by himself was a bald elf swathed in the vestments of the elf god. Around his waist he wore a wide belt, and around his neck hung a small amulet shaped as a shield. Attached to his wrist was a holy symbol of Corellon Larethian made of silver. He looked like most of his kind did, short and lanky as he would describe it. However, he didn't quite seem as proud as other elves. He showed no emotions, his face set in a mask of perfect neutrality. He turned to the other elf that greeted him. He looked Atherin over, then turned back to face the doors to the throne room. "...Strennr."

7. - Top - End - #7

Iriades Mon'd'atall

Bordering on the verge of nonchalance, the tall elf at the side of the antechamber wipes some dust from his sleeves. To those inspecting him closely, it seems almost as if it was his intention to turn the minor gesture into a theatrical move, one whose sole purpose was to convey a 'can-do' attitude. Despite, or - as the cliché goes - perhaps because of the unspoken message of 'willing to get his hands dirty', the man appears oddly at ease in this luxurious environment.
    When his gaze meets that of the courtier, he actually gives him a friendly nod, hinting at the fact that this wasn't the first time he had seen the man.

Upon closer inspection, one can see that several wrinkles run across his face, and while he has the look of an experienced combatant, it's not entirely clear whether his forté lies in physical or magical prowess.
    With a mixture of patience, perhaps even apathy, the elf calmly waits, spending his time with making some last-minute changes to his appearance. Clad in a beautiful robe where shades of gray, light blue and white converge and disperse in a rather showy manner, it wouldn't be hard to mistake him for one of the king's advisors.
    As the others begin to introduce themselves, he shifts his attention from his clothes to the rest, and for a moment it seems as if a few sparkles fly from his fingertips as he does so.

With another friendly nod, he stretches out his right hand to meet that of Stu, involuntarily (?) exposing the Arcanan symbol on his own right forearm, before speaking up in a firm, though kind-hearted voice.

"Iriades Mon'd'atall."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas Norn looks around the room slowly, taking in every detail without appearing to be overawed. His plate has a dull gleam, the darkened steel only partially reflecting the sunlight. He left shoulder is adorned with the painted insignia of the Roaming Guard, and his cloak bears the Warrington insignia.

His well built frame easily supports his armors weight, and his clean cut face is boyishly handsome, his young age still visible, though he also has the aura of command about him.

After his survey of the room, he turns his attention to his fellow volunteers, noting their apparel and appearance, drawing his conclusions. He gives a slight nod to the burly half orc, then speaks to the group at large. "Jas Norn, of the Roaming Guard."
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

9. - Top - End - #9

Fantastic Felix

Turning adroitly from the silent guard, Felix joins in the introductions with a grin.

"The name's Felix," he says good-naturedly. "This is going to be fun!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

The courtier summons your attention, “AHEM!! We will now enter the throne room. Remember your instructions.” The large wooden doors open of their own accord. The courtier ushers each of you in front of him and then he follows you into the throne room.

The throne room is large and spacious. It could easily hold 100 people and leave room for larger creatures. A red carpet runs down the center of the room from the door to the foot of the raised throne. The King sits upon his throne looking calm, but worried as you enter the throne room. He has high cheekbones with a long face. As he turns his head to scan over each of your group, you all notice that his ears have a slight point to them. To his left stands a Captain of the Roaming Guard. He is a human of average stature, his hair is graying at the temples, and his skin is aged and bronzed from many long hours in the sun. The courtier that was with you in the antechamber passes you and stands to the King’s right. After you have all reached the throne, the King rises and addresses each of you.

Welcome Atherin. Welcome Felix. Welcome Jas Norn. Welcome Sturgok. Welcome Strennr Ozemu. Welcome Iriades Mon’d’atall. Everything that is spoken now shall not be repeated in the presents of anyone not here today.

I am placing the very future of Warrington in your hands. It is a kingdom built on trade. Our most key resources are the minerals mined from the mountains beyond Wistendale. It is what makes it possible for us to exist. The only nation that relies more on these minerals would be Wistendale itself.

Nothing has been heard from Wistendale for 2 months. The Roaming Guard reports that the last caravan sent to Wistendale passed their outpost on schedule. Since then nothing returned up the road. The only change reported has been an orange glow that can be seen on the horizon at night. Each returning patrol for the past month has reported this glow, and it has been growing brighter as of late.

You will travel with a Roaming Guard patrol as far as the outpost. This is a one-week journey for most trade caravans. Our patrols usually make it in 3 days, but we expect it to take 4 days, since not all hear are accomplished riders. From the outpost to Wistendale is normally another week for trade caravans. I do not know how long it will take you to travel that distance.

You leave at dusk tonight. Captain Edon is the commander of the Roaming Guard patrol that will accompany you. They will remain at the outpost for their assigned week, then return to Warrington. They will be replaced by Captain Manning’s patrol. If none of you return with Manning’s patrol, I will consider you expedition a loss and complete failure.

That must not happen. We need to know what is happening in or what happened to Wistendale. Captain Edon and Warren will remain to answer any questions you have. May Heironeous guide your blades and return all of you to us whole.

With that the King rises and exits through a hidden door to the right of the throne. As the door opens you notice two older humans are waiting and join the King as he exits. The courtier, he is obviously Warren, steps forward, “Captain Edon’s patrol leaves in 2 hours. You will be provided mounts, if you do not have them, as well as supplies and pack animals. Do you have any specific questions?

Captain Edon has remained silent, but has been eying each of you during the King and Warren’s statements. The look on his face appears to be one of disappointment.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-10 at 08:25 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

11. - Top - End - #11

Strennr

Strennr cleared his throat and stepped forward. "Yes... I have a question. Do you think we have a chance? At discovering the problem and coming back alive, that is." Strennr politely waited for Warren to answer, keeping his eyes on Warren's.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Warren stutters as he tries to reply, "Well, I haven't.....I am not.....Captain Edon?"

Edon looks upon Warren with disgust before replying to Stennr's question. "We will know more when we reach the Outpost. The captain of the current patrol will provide us with any new information. We know that the orange glow on the horizon has been growing brighter, and no one has come down the road from Wistendale for the past month. But to answer you question. Yes you have a chance of succeeding. There is always the chance of success. I helped to chose this team. While not all my recommendations were taken to heart," he glances at Stu and Felix, "you were chosen for the way your skills compliment each other. You will succeed. You must."
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-10 at 08:25 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

13. - Top - End - #13

Strennr

"Ah, thank you Captain Edon." Stennr gave a polite bow and stepped back to his original position.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Remaining stiffly at attention throughout the audience with the king, Stu is impressed. Against his best intentions, he is taken with the frank manner and candour of this young king.

The question period begins. The orc's deep voice rumbles out tersely.

Captain, what if this mission takes more than a week. Do you have a way for us to report progress in the middle of the assignment?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

"Your supplies will include two Scrolls of Sending. Please use these to report to Warren any thing of immediate interest. If there are no more questions, please finish any business you have in town and meet me at the Western Gate. Your mounts and supplies will be there. You can pick up your weapons as you leave."

As the sun reaches midday you set out for Wistendale. You are accompanied by Captain Edon's Roaming Guard squad. An elven rider goes ahead of the party and soon disappears around a bend in the road. There are also two other humans, a halfling, and a gnome. An hour later the elf returns, "Nothing unusual. Road appears to be clear." One of the humans then rides ahead and the elf takes his place.

This pattern continues for the next 4 days. Your nights are uneventful except for a skunk wandering into camp at dawn of the 3rd day. There are no casualties, unless you count the gnome, who took a full blast and now rides well downwind of the group.

A few hours before sundown on the on the fourth day you catch sight of the Roaming Guard Outpost on the horizon. A rider approaches accompanied by the halfling from your patrol. "Captain Edon, good to see you." "Captain Ridley, the king has sent these to venture to Wistendale." As Ridley surveys each of you he speaks, "So the King is finally sending someone to Wistendale. I do not envy you. What I have seen this past week worries me. Come I will show you.” He leads you to the Outpost. It consists of two Towers straddling the road, as well as an alternating gate, which forces anyone on the road to zigzag as they go through. You can see a Roaming Guard in each tower. Their attention is on the road to Wistendale, but each gives your group the once over as you approach. A halfling opens the door to a barracks building on the north side of the road as you approach. A tie post is outside, but no corral is obvious.

Captain Ridley leads you into the barracks. It is a large one-room building approximately 10 x 20 ft. You enter into a common room area that is connected to a kitchen area on one side and a bunks area on the other. The common room also has a map table, which is wear Ridley leads you.

The map displays topography from Warrington to Wistendale. The trade road and Roaming Guard Outpost are marked, as is another outpost a little closer to Wistendale. “Normally we receive messengers from the Wistendale outpost,” he indicates the other outpost, “Every patrol since we lost contact has sent a rider, and they always report it deserted. It is still deserted, but Tulkin found something new.” The halfling then speaks up, “I rode to the outpost yesterday and saw a pair of Ettins on this hill to the east of the outpost. They were trying to remain hidden, but in doing so only made themselves more obvious. They must have dragged in the trees to make their blind from a mile away, and didn’t bother to hide the trail.

Ridley speaks up again. “Ettins are not from this area, so we think they may be connected to what is going on. You may want to start your investigation with them.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-11 at 01:54 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

16. - Top - End - #16

Fantastic Felix

Felix tosses off a salute with a lazy grin to Ridley. "Don't worry, cap'n, I'm on the job!"

He turns to the rest of the party. "Okay, so who actually knows anything about Ettins?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

"Not much." Jas says in reply to Felix."But they do seem a good place to start our investigation."
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

18. - Top - End - #18

Iriades Mon'd'atall

"I've dealt with Ettins before," Iriades interjects. "To me, they've proven themselves to be nothing but vile, uncivilized monsters. There was this one time where the opposite was actually true, but that's more than fifty years ago, and quite some distance from here too."

The elf rubs his chin for a moment and smiles faintly, seemingly recollecting something.
    "Regardless, if there's trouble around here, and this scout is sure he's seen two ettins, it's safe to assume they're related somehow. What bothers me is this though: if they're behind whatever is happening to the caravans, how did they manage to keep it a secret for so long? They're not exactly brilliant strategists, you know."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

"Well... either they are smarter then the ones you met, Iria, or they are just the hired muscle of whoever is really behind the situations. Jas says thoughtfully.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

20. - Top - End - #20

Strennr

"There's no point in guessing at something that is unlikely. If we want to know more, then we need to go and see it for ourselves." Strennr turned to look at Captain Ridley. "Captain, am I right to assume that the layout of the Wistendale Outpost is the same as this one?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Speaking as someone who had been categorized as a vile, uncivilized monster from time to time, the orc stiffens at Iriades' words, but merely continues his examination of the map.

He turns to the halfling, and bows slightly.

You have done good work.

To his companions, he merely nods.

Maybe we can flank them in their blind.

22. - Top - End - #22

Goblin

((Sorry I'm late.))

Atherin

Atherin has two other animals along with with his horse: a large white dog, which is tied up with his horse; and a brown hawk sitting on his shoulder, explaining the need for the piece of scratched leather. The hawk is not as afraid of people as it should be, and watches the others with strangely intelligent eyes.

"I know a fair bit about Ettins, and I'm surprised that they've seen two. They're usually alone... Maybe these are a mated pair? Er, quadruplet?" Atherin shrugs. "As for how they've kept it secret, well. They have good senses - two heads, you know - so they can probably tell when someone's coming, and do something about it."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes, the other outpost is a mirror image of this one. And your friend is right, Ettins are hard to sneak up on. May I suggest a diversion?"
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

24. - Top - End - #24

Iriades Mon'd'atall

"By all means, good man," Iriades replies while making a casual, inviting gesture.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

"When you go to investigate I'll ride to the Wistendale Outpost. I will snoop and poke around as much as I can. That should keep their attention. I won't be able to stay long as my patrol must ride back to Warrington this evening, and I will need to arrive with them. But I should be albe to give you 30 minutes or so."
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Stu nods at the plan as laid out. They would see if these elves were as stealthy as his past companions.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

"That sounds reasonable enough, and with luck, thirty minutes shall be long enough. You will, of course, be very careful in dealing with these creatures. We would not have a death over this." Jas says.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

"If they make any move to attack me, I will leave immediately. I doubt they can catch my stead." Ridley looks quite proud as he mentions his mount.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

29. - Top - End - #29

Iriades Mon'd'atall

"Few men would sooner take pride in their mount's capability of flight, hippogriph puns notwithstanding, than in their own tenacity in combat. There is a certain wisdom in that, a presence of mind, that I deeply respect."

Iriades looks away for a moment, as if thinking on something, but soon turns his gaze back on captain Ridley, and smiles.
    "Of course, I'm by no means advocating cowardice here, nor even suggesting that it has any bearing on you in any way - but I digress. The plan you've put forward should be more than adequate. If these ettins are involved with the missing caravans, you can be sure we'll get to the bottom of this."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30

Fantastic Felix

Felix smiles. "Sounds like a plan to me." He shrugs slightly. "And if something goes awry, I'm sure we can improvise."

He pauses a second, before adding, "How bad could Ettins be, right?"