New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Warrington Woes

1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Warrington Woes

"I'll be outside. Set out when your ready. Captain Edon and myself have to see to the changing of the guard. Once that is done I'll be free to assist you. I won't ride with you as Charger is often unkind to those he is not accustomed to. When I see you head out I'll wait half an hour then follow. That should give you time to set up. Best of luck to you."

With that Captains Ridley and Edon exit the building. Tulkin has wandered over to a bundle that he appears to be packing for the return trip to Warrington.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-11 at 10:31 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Turning to the others, Stu almost smiles. He walks to examine the map, especially the hill where the halfling had shown the ettins.

Right. How'd we want to do this ambush? Try to head around behind the hill here, or maybe use some kind of trickery on them?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Upon examining the map you see that the spot where the blind is marked is approximately 20 feet downhill from the crest (Elevation 400 ft). It is a light downgrade from the crest to the blind and another 10 feet in front of it, but then the grade sharpens quickly dropping 200 ft before changing to a gentle downgrade to the road. The other sides of the hill rise offer a gentle rise to the crest. The wood line stops about half way up the hill, and the map shows no cover from that point to the top.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas studies the map alongside Stu."The blind is well positioned... two steep for any frontal assault, and the lack of trees on the other side means no cover for anyone approaching. Still, if we can get Ridley to make some commotion at the base of this incline, we may be able to maneuver up the other side unobserved, despite the lack of trees." He glances at Stu, waiting to hear his thoughts. "And maybe the mages have a trick or two to aid us in being subtle?" He adds.
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Atherin

The ranger frowns. "I can't make us invisible or anything. We're heading out today, of course? Then I can't help with stealth. I've never needed magic for that." He shrugs. "If we were waiting until tomorrow, I could make some fake sounds, to help with the distraction. But our other mages could probably do better, sooner."
    Last edited by Naleh; 2007-10-12 at 04:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Strennr

Strennr crossed his arms. "I cannot help us remain unseen, but I can make us undetectable by sound. Though it will take me some time to pray for the appropriate spell." Strennr brushed his hand over the holy symbol at his wrist, then he looked up at Atherin. "I am sure that if we pool our abilities together we can ensure that it would be us who gets the element of surprise and not the Ettins."
    Last edited by Ghal Marak; 2007-10-12 at 06:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The orc doesn't turn from the map.

I don't know if we want to wait long enough for that, Strennr, but I will if everybody else needs it. Spose we could sneak up to the treeline and pepper em with bowfire, especially if the blind isn't set up to cover all angles.

Anybody know if ettins chuck rocks like some of the giants do? Don't fancy standing downwind of an avalanche.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fantastic Felix

Felix looks thoughtful for a second, and then removes his backpack. Reaching deep into its bowels, he manages to pull out an enormous calling horn.

He grins. "I reckon I could distract 'em a little with this baby! It makes fog, you see. Then they can't see us, right?"

9. - Top - End - #39

Iriades Mon'd'atall

"There's a lot of things we can do," Iriades remarks in a stern tone. "Illusions, figment sounds, invisibility spells... Simply creating flashy fireworks never ceases to get the attention of some creatures either."

The elf looks Felix's horn over. "I've seen those before. Quite the useful thing, aren't they? Your plan might just work, actually. While most of the other alternatives are quite effective as well, they're merely of a temporary nature. These ettins will know what's going on once our magical distractions cease to be. Even if we're long gone by then, we've let them know we were there, at one point in time or another.
    Sneaking, however - under the cover of what will appear like a natural phenomenon - has slightly more... elegance."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The big orc nods solemnly.

Even if they don't buy the small fog cloud rolling up the hill, it'll be hard for them to do much against us till we're close.

11. - Top - End - #41

Fantastic Felix

Felix smiles, and stuffs the horn back into his pack.

"Sounds like we have a plan, then! When shall we leave?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

"Now works for me." Jas says, checking his blade and bow."I think we are all ready.. or as ready as we can be."
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Right then. Let's go.

Assuming that the fine details could be worked out on the road, Stu turned from the map and strode from the room.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

As you take to the road on your mounts, with your pack mule in tow, Captain Ridley calls to you, "You'll hear me when I get to the Outpost. If I don't get their attention nothing will." His patrols laughs, as though at a secret joke.

As the sun sets you find yourselves in the forest at the foot of the backside of the hill. You can already hear a large racket coming from the direction of the outpost. Captain Ridley appears to have kept his word.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-16 at 09:34 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The big orc reined in his mount, and slipped his glaive easily into a charging position. He glances back to Felix, and speaks a pair of heavy words.

Show time.

16. - Top - End - #46

Goblin

Atherin

Atherin grins at Stu, then slips off his mount, tying it to a tree. He points two fingers at his dog, which sits obediently, then looks meaningfully at his hawk. The bird takes flight, fluttering towards the top of the hill.

Atherin quietly straps on a buckler, then retrieves his graceful longbow. He then settles to watch the top of the hill with utmost patience.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sending the hawk on scouting duty. I can feel her general emotions from a distance of up to a mile, although I can't 'speak' with her.

17. - Top - End - #47

Fantastic Felix

Smiling, Felix whips out the horn. He moves slowly up towards the commotion, and takes a deep breath. Exhaling deeply into the horn, opaque fog seeps out in billows towards the Ettins. A low note escapes the horn, rolling across the hills as the fog creeps forward.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Bringing his glaive up to avoid pushing it into something unintentionally, Stu leads his skittish horse into the forefront of the cloud, navigating nervously as he can barely see ahead. He speaks softly, in coarse elven.

Felix, you going to be able to steer this thing from within? Or do you have another way to conceal yourself.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas ties the pack mules lead rope to a nearby tree and spreads some grain into her feed bag, attaching it to her muzzle. "Don't run off, now." He says, patting her face, then mounts his own horse, and draws his blade. He guides his horse to the front of the group with his knees, and eyes the ridge. "Everyone ready?" He asks, resting the blade on his shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show

Guide with knees is a DC5, which I automatically succeed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

20. - Top - End - #50

Iriades Mon'd'atall

Sticking close to Kellus, Iriades hastily makes a few last-minute preparations. With what seems little more than a mutter and what could barely pass off as a gesture, he gently touches his brightly-colored robes for a moment.
    Almost immediately, they turn dark green, providing some impromptu camouflage in this kind of terrain.

Iriades nods in reply to Jas' question, and promptly begins to cast a second incantation. Judging from his motions, it appears that this one is slightly more complex, though, upon completion, it appears to have no discernible effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prestidigitation & mage armor.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #51

Fantastic Felix

Pausing blowing the horn only long enough to acknowledge Stu, Felix gasps out, "Never mind me, I'll just keep the fog coming. You fellows better get your ambush ready!"

And drawing an enormous breath of air he blows heavily into the horn once more, prompting a fresh gout of fog to billow out. The previous breath of fog continues to moves slowly up the rolling hills towards the Ettins.

Spoiler
    Show
    The fog moves at 10ft. per round. Felix will continue blowing until the Ettins are enveloped, and then run into combat, using the fog to avoid being seen.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

The billowing fog flows unnaturally in a straight line up the hill. As Felix continues to blow his horn, the fog has nearly reached the crest of the hill. As you near the top you hear speach from 4 voices coming back over the hill, though it sounds as though it is gibberish, and does not appear as though they are alarmed. You also hear loud crashes and bangs, though they are muffled and appear to be coming from the Outpost.

Stu
    Spoiler
    Show

You recognize some of the words as orcish, but they make no since mixed in with the gibberish.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The orc mutters to...well, whoever it is next to him.

Huh. They speak orc, but badly.

He peers ahead as he leads his mount cautiously forward in the fog.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas, riding beside Stu, nods. He replies, his voice equally low. "Any idea what they are saying?" His eyes search the fog, both hands on his sword, ready...
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

As the billowing fog crests over the hill, you can make out the Ettin's blind through the mists. Two great oak tops have been dragged so that they form a brush pile. Opposite the Outpost from the brush pile stand two hulking giants. Each has two heads, all four of which are focused on the Outpost. There you can just make out a lone figure as it moves between the buildings, very obviously snooping about. You can only assume this is Captain Ridley.

The rest of the blind appears to be a makeshift campsite. Two areas have obviously been slept on, and a firepit has been dug, though it appears to not have been lit for some time.

|
    |
    Brushpile
    E1 E2
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Hilltop
    | J S
    |
    I A

Approx 100ft back Felix

"......" is the cliff face
    | 5ft of distance
    Jas and Stu can barely see over the hill and are 25 ft from the Ettins.
    Iria and Ath have not yet crested the hill.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

26. - Top - End - #56

Strennr

Strennr finished his concentration and moved his hands in the workings of a spell. Visualy, nothing happened, but he seemed more confident than before. Drawing his bow, he quickly followed the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Divine Favor.

27. - Top - End - #57

Iriades Mon'd'atall

The tall elf quickly follows the rest up the hill, smirking approvingly at the sounds of captain Ridley's diversion.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The orc will stay with the slowly-moving fog cloud as long as possible, until the ettins' attention is drawn to them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Continuing forward within the fog, but readying an action if the ettins move from their current or attack us. The action will be to send a curse down on the ettin to his left, enter rage, and do a partial charge/charge on the ettin to his right.

Curse: -2 to attacks, saves, checks and damage, will save 10 to negate

Charge attack (5 points of power attack):

(1d20+12)[20] Attack
    (1d10+24)[31] Damage

AC then becomes 13 until his next action.

29. - Top - End - #59

Goblin

Atherin

Crouching, Atherin draws a pair of arrows and fits one to his bow. He goes over his spells in his mind, hoping they will be enough for the task ahead.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

When the fog is approximately 20 ft. from the Ettins, one of the heads looks back over its shoulder. It begins to speak, and appears to be reaching for a club at it's feet, a sudden wave of confusion falls upon it. As it shakes off the nausea, Stu charges forth from the rolling cloud, the blade of his glaive sinking into the back of the Ettin on the right.

OOC:
    Initiative Order
    Iriades (Mage Armor, Divine Favor)
    Stu
    Jas
    Strennr
    Atherin
    Ettins (E1:Hex failed, E2:31 dmg)

Map

|
    |
    Brushpile
    |E1 E2
    ||||Stu
    |
    |
    |
    |Jas
    |
    |Iria Ath
    |||Stren

Approx. 100ft back from Strennr: Felix

24hrs to post your next rounds actions. Have fun.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-22 at 12:16 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"