New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Warrington Woes

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Warrington Woes

Jas Norn

Jas moves to attack the Ettin that Stu is attacking, his blade flashing and his mount kicking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving past Stu to the right of E2, then attacking.
    Guide with knees: DC 5, auto succeed
    Fight with warhorse: DC 10, auto succeed
    Attack (Jas){-1 PA}(1d20+9)[10]
    Damage{+2 PA}(2d6+9)[16]
    Attack (Mount)(1d20+4)[23]
    Damage(1d4+3)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

NOTICE MAP EDIT CORRECTION

Since Stu is using a reach weapon this is the correct position.

Map

|
    |
    Brushpile
    |E1_E2
    |
    ||||Stu
    |
    |
    |Jas (Hilltop)
    |
    |Iria Ath
    |||Stren

Approx. 100ft back from Strennr: Felix: unaware combat has started.

Notice the _ between the Ettins, this means they are 5ft apart. Jas may retro edit his above post if he wishes to change his actions. Restarting 24hr counter for first round posts. Felix is not yet aware of combat so has no init order, but will comin under the Ettins as soon as he becomes aware. Iria and Ath need to take at least a 5ft step forward to be able to see over the hill. Stren needs to move at least 10 ft forward to see over the hill.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-22 at 08:54 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Iriades Mon'd'atall

As soon as the Ettin reaches for his weapon, Iriades breaks off into a run towards him, drawing his sword at the same time. Several feet before he reaches his target though, he makes a quick gesture with his hand, and in the timespan of barely a second, a thin ray goes flying straight towards one of the Ettins...

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Move closer (20 ft) while drawing my sword.
    Standard action: Ray of Enfeeblement, targeting E1.

Ranged touch attack, no save.

Ranged touch attack - (1d20+6)[17]
    Strength damage - (1d6+3)[6]
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 2007-10-22 at 11:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The orc's spirits are buoyed by the thunder of hoofs and the arrival of Jas and his whirling greatsword. He admired the knight's facility on the horse, making the two creatures dance in battle as if they were one, and it reminded Stu all the more of his own limitations.

Then he caught a glimpse of the tip of his own glaive, waving about with a chunk of the ettin's bloodied armour still on it. And he smiled, a feral, open mouthed snarl. And he drove the blade towards the creature again and again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reducing power attack to 4 points. Full attack. AC is now 15.

(1d20+13)[30] Attack 1 with glaive
    (1d10+22)[32] Attack 1 damage
    (1d20+8)[27] Attack 2 with glaive
    (1d10+22)[32] Attack 2 damage

Edit: Stu is a lucky, lucky little orc. If the ettins don't flatten him with their next attack.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2007-10-22 at 12:09 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #65

Goblin

Atherin

With the sounds of the starting combat, Atherin steps forwards and drops his bow. He waves his arms mysteriously and speaks an evil-sounding phrase. A thin ray, just like Iriades', leaps from his hand towards the other ettin.

Spoiler
    Show
    How did Freshmeat know my plan? Is he a psion?
    Free Actions: 5-foot step forward, drop bow to free up a hand
    Standard Action: Ray of Enfeeblement, targeting E2
    Move Action: pick up bow again

Touch Attack - (1d20+9)[18]
    Str Damage - (1d6)[6]

6. - Top - End - #66

Strennr

Cresting the hill, Strennr looked down upon the fight. "Hmm..." Nocking an arrow, Strennr took aim at an Ettin and loosed it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+7)[10]
    Damage:(1d8+3)[4]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

As the first Ettin picks up his clubs, the rays from Atherin and Iriades connect sapping the strength from both Ettins. Jas swings wide, but his mount and Stu connect with the second Ettin. It crumbles to the ground with both heads severed. An arrow shot from Strennr's bow goes wide and is lost in the brush pile.

The remaining Ettin goes berserk as it's companion falls and unleashes its fury on Stu, striking him twice with its clubs. (19+18=37 damage, I can't remember if your mounted or not, if so you succeeded in remaining in the saddle.)

MAP

|
    |
    Brushpile
    |E1_E2
    |||||||||Jas
    ||||Stu
    |Iria
    |
    |Stren(Hilltop)
    ||||||Ath
    |
    |

Approx. 100ft back from Strennr: Felix: Can now hear the sounds of combat.

24hr countdown for round 2.

Initiative Order
    Iriades (Mage Armor)
    Stu
    Jas
    Strennr (Divine Favor 8 rounds left)
    Atherin
    Ettin

Edit: Corrected Buffs
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-23 at 11:42 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

8. - Top - End - #68

Iriades Mon'd'atall

Carefully staying out of the remaining Ettin's reach, the tall elf makes a quick, flashy gesture with his hand while speaking in a tone that is unintellegible to nearly all of his companions. In a flash, tiny dark red spheres seem to appear out of nowhere, spiralling unerringly towards their target...

Spoiler
    Show
    Missile Magique, sacre bleu!

(3d4+3)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Stu's face remains a taut mask of feral glee as his glaive slips under the ettin's guard and neatly severs its left head. Unfortunately, the swing leaves his flank exposed, and the other ettin's club smashes into him. He barely avoids screaming as ribs crack, but he somehow manages to stay in the saddle, silent and determined.

The battle-rage now full upon him, Stu swings back with his glaive, countering the ettin's might with swiftness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack on the second ettin. Four points of power attack.

(1d20+13)[26] Attack 1
    (1d10+22)[31] Damage

(1d20+8)[24] Attack 2
    (1d10+22)[24] Damage
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas moves along side the Ettin, swinging.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

11. - Top - End - #71

Goblin

Atherin

The ranger grins as the ettin collapses. "That was tough!" he says ironically, opening fire on the remaining ettin.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1 - (1d20+9)[14] (+4 BAB, +5 dex, +1 magic, +1 Point Blank, -2 Rapid)
    Damage - (1d8+2)[10] (+1 magic, +1 Point Blank)
    Attack 2 - (1d20+9)[28] (+4 BAB, +5 dex, +1 magic, +1 Point Blank, -2 Rapid)
    Damage - (1d8+2)[9] (+1 magic, +1 Point Blank)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

The globes of energy burn through the Ettin's skin. It raises hit clubs over it's head apparently to bring them down on Stu yet again. Stu stabs his glaive repeatedly into the Ettin, firmly sticking the blade in it's chest on his final blow. Jas's blade strikes true, lopping off an arm just as it begins to come down on Stu. Undeterred even more force is placed behind the other club as it comes down. Just before the blow lands, two arrows appear as if by magic in the necks of the Ettin. It's eyes roll back, it's shoulders slacken, and the club lands with only the force of gravity as it bounces off Stu's armor. The Ettins body falls atop the brushpile, Stu's glaive still stuck in it's chest point now to the heavens.

The fog cloud fully encompases the campsite as the battle ends, adding a dreariness to the grizzly scene. As the calm after the storm falls, the distant sound of battle falls upon your ears. It is coming from back over the hill.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-24 at 09:03 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas wheels his mount about, the warhorse snorting in excitement, but he cannot see through the heavy fog. "Come, Stu! It sounds like we missed some!" He calls, his blade slick with blood as he heads toward the sound.

Spoiler
    Show
    He moves toward the sound as fast as he can. If still in combat, he has 120 ft of movement as a double move.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

14. - Top - End - #74

Strennr

Strennr looked down on the dead bodies of the Ettins. "As I figured, I was of no use to anyone..." Again. He smiled for the first time in a while as the fog rolled in. He found it plesant, like a long rainy day. He then turned to see where the sounds of battle were coming from.
    Last edited by Ghal Marak; 2007-10-24 at 09:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Felix: You hear the sounds of battle from the top of the hill end, just before your arrow pierces the hide of the goblin. You then hear Jas's yell and the stumbling sound of hooves as they descend the hill.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-10-24 at 10:06 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Stu's smile fades slightly as the ettin collapses, yanking his glaive painfully from his hands. The battle-rage wavers, but remains, and dulls the ache from the ettin's blows. He glances over at Strennr and nearly snarls, but catches himself in time. His voice is strained.

You want to help. There are injured here. There may be more with the battle below. Spur your horse on, and follow - quickly!

Seizing his glaive from the dead ettin's chest, he pounds off after Jas.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fantastic Felix

Felix wipes his brow and glances back at the group. He calls out to them with a grin on his face.

"No worries, I've got it under control! Just a little goblin trouble, that's all. Take care of those Ettins, then? That was quick!"

He puts away his bow, and glances down at the goblin body at his feet. Cocking his head, he leans down, grabs its two punching daggers, and tosses them in his backpack.

"Could be handy, I suppose."

Muttering a quick prayer to Obad-Hai for protecting him in the woodlands, he passes a hand over a wound in his side, which quickly heals up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative at 3/10, having used an Opportunistic Piety to heal up.

18. - Top - End - #78

Goblin

Atherin

((reaction))

The elf allows himself a moment of jubilation, before relaxing into the pleasant fog.

"Those sounds. Do you think-- Felix!" he finally realises, and he launches himself down the hill. I shouldn't have left Tee and Sae down there, he berates himself, thinking of his horse and dog.

As he runs, he calls, "Aeriaphos!" After a moment his hawk swoops in through the fog to glide beside him. It doesn't do any good, but Atherin seems to draw comfort from the bird's presence.

((now))

Finally reaching the bottom of the hill, Atherin pants, "Thank Solonor that's all it was... Just one goblin?" He frowns. "Doesn't seem... right... after fighting two full-grown and well-prepared ettins. You'd think they would have more defence than a lone goblin."
    Last edited by Naleh; 2007-10-24 at 11:17 PM. Reason: grumble... Kellus beat me to it...

19. - Top - End - #79

Strennr

Strennr's foul mood returned when he heard Stu's words. Saying nothing, he followed Stu and Jas to the source of the now quieted noise.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas reigns his horse up, looking down at the dead goblin. "Well fought, Felix, well fought..."He says, then addresses them all. "I will ride down to check on Captain Ridley and his men, then return. I shan't be gone long, if some of you would check the bodies while I am away."

He walks his mount over to Stu, and lowers his voice. "Your skills are impressive, Stu, indeed the rest of us where hardly needed. Keep an I on them, and get your wounds treated if you can. Stren may be able to help with that."

Jas will wait for any replies or objections, then head back to check on Captain Ridley
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

21. - Top - End - #81

Iriades Mon'd'atall

The old elf joins the rest of the group, barely giving the dead goblin at Felix' feet so much as a glance.

"I agree with Jas. With a bit of luck, we'll find enough clues to find out what's been going on around here lately."

He turns his head a bit sideways to look at Stu. "That was indeed an impressive display of... polearmship. Good to know you're on our side."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Stu nods quickly to Jas.

Call if you need backup. I'll be here.

He acknowledges Iriades praise with a small nod.

We are a team. Your rays of enfeeblement may have been all that kept me alive. We must work together or perish.

The orc continues looking at the old elf a little longer, and manages a small smile. He looks over at Felix, the elf's capability rising in the orc's eyes.

Was there just one? It is unusual for goblins to work alone. And have you searched it for other signs of its purpose.

Unless Felix assures him that the body has been cleared, Stu will dismount quickly, bury the butt of his glaive in the stony ground, and roughly go over the goblin's body, laying anything of note out on the ground for all to see.

23. - Top - End - #83

Strennr

Strennr looked down at the dead goblin, then back up at the assembled group. "...Goblins... disgusting wretches." He then crossed his arms and closed his eyes, contemplating the events so far.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

To those around the Goblin:

You see no signs of anyone or anything in the vicinity. Stu's search of the body turns finds only some half eaten rations and a rolled up parchment.

Jas:

As the outpost comes into view around the hill you catch a glimpse of Captain Ridley heading back toward Warrington on a rather large wolf. It moves with unnatural speed as it quickly disappears beyond the horizon. It is quickly obvious of the nature of Ridley's "distraction." The entire outpost has been ransacked. The towers are still standing, but enough damage has been done that you doubt they will stand long. The windows of the building are broken and the doors are hanging from the hinges. A determined defender could hold off an attack, but the lose of the towers greatly reduces it's military value.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The orc holds up the parchment without looking at it.

Anybody read goblin?

Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, I'm not understanding something. Ridley ransacked his OWN outpost? Whose outpost was it, again?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas circles the outpost twice, looking for anything useful, his face showing his surprise at Ridleys actions, though he understands them. Still, it is not the choice he would have made, if he was in charge. Completing his survey, he heads back up the hill.

"Captain Ridley has denied the enemy use of the outpost. It's pretty much a shell now, likely to keep anyone among our foes from using it. I see why he did, but I would not want to have to explain his decision to the king." He looks contemplative for a moment. "So, what did they have on them? Supplies, weapons, orders, anything to tell us where they came from?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Seeing Jas return up the hill, Stu hands the parchment to Felix.

Anything useful there?

He then goes to stand directly in front of Strennr, and will eventually tap the contemplative elf on the shoulder.

Hey in there! What does Corellon Larethion -

He uses the correct elven pronunciation of the god's name.

Say about keeping yer warriors alive?

He points to his cracked ribs.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2007-10-30 at 07:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

As you open the parchment it reveals a map of the area. On the back is a note scribbled in Common, Orc, and other languages. They all appear to be the same length and there is a wax seal at the bottom of page. The seal looks similar to the the symbol of Arcana, but is far more complex.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Note
    Spoiler
    Show

Wistendale is ours. Meet us in march and your reward will be great. Deny us and our revenge will be swift.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fantastic Felix

Felix looks taken aback at the map and note.

"Well, it looks like we know a bit more about what happened to Wistendale. I guess whoever the goblin was working for is there."

He frowns a bit, then shrugs, a grin blossoming on his face. "So, when do we leave?"

30. - Top - End - #90

Strennr

Strennr opened his eyes and looked at Stu without expresion. "...Corellon Latherion stresses the care of Elven warriors, not orc." He then uncrossed his arms and stroked his chin in thought. "But I guess he would make an exception to a tame orc." Strennr placed a hand on Stu's chest and closed his eyes. His holy symbol glowed briefly as his cureative magic coursed through Stu. Taking his hand off Stu and oppening his eyes, he look over Stu to see the results. "..Is that better, or do you require more?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Cure Serious Wounds, loosing Searing Light to do so
    Health Cured - (3d8+5)[20]