New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Warrington Woes

1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Warrington Woes

Fantastic Felix

Felix steps forward curiously.

"Dandell, huh? That's quite a story; it sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm sorry to hear about your companions." He pauses. "The name's Felix, by the way."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check to get on Dandell's good side: (1d20+8)[12]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Atherin

"I'm Atherin. You've met Aeriaphos. This is Saetherialis," he pats his dog, "and Tyatherialis," he points back to his horse.

3. - Top - End - #153

Strennr

Strennr crossed his arms and looked away from the gnome, already hating the little cretin. "...Strennr."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Stu steps closer to get the gnome's attention.

So. Now that we are all buddies.

His grim face and lack of inflection leave no doubt as to his real opinion of the situation.

How many gnolls, and where did you see them?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

"Well now that we know each other. I'm not sure how many. As soon as the first of us was down, I cast Invisibility on myself and hid. I saw a gnoll attack one of my companions, and an orc shooting arrows, then I was knocked unconcious. When I came to...." the gnome visibly shakes himself, "some of my companions had been eaten. I have been able to find out a few things, overheard things as I evaded the patrols. They are all working for....."

The gnome stops talking as you all hear a bow twang. As if it was always there an arrow appears in the gnomes chest {d:7}

As he begins to scream in pain a second arrow bounces off the Stu's back. He feels a slight sting, letting him know his chain shirt barely kept the arrow from piercing his skin.

A wolf comes charging toward Strennr biting his leg. He stumbles for as the canine pulls at his calf, but is able to keep his feet.{d:8}

All the horses, not trained for war start at the sight and smell of the wolf. {panicked}

Charging through the brush you catch sight of a gnoll, who leaps 8 feet into the air and covering a good 30 ft. As he land his spear plunges into the gnome. {d:47, -8hp}

Blood spews as it witdraws it's spear and turns thrusting it at Iriades. The tip pierces barely missing as it stabs less than an inch from Iriades' ear.

You see a orc nearly 50ft away in the brush notching another arrow to his bow.

Spoiler
    Show

Gnome is at -8

Initiative
    Felix 19
    Jas 17(21)
    Gnome 17(17)
    Stu 15
    Baddies 14
    Strennr {d:8} 13
    Atherin 12
    Iriades 10

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Same as before, post your actions with rolls I'll post a summary. Your first Initials or abbreviation of you name is on your icon and your mounts. I left the pack mule out, assume it is in the same space as Jas's horse. Unless your mount is trained for war it is panicked and will resist any attempt to mount it or ride.

Yes, it was foreboding wasn't it?
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-11-15 at 10:14 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

6. - Top - End - #156

Spoiler
    Show
    Character sheet seems to work fine to me. Are you using the one in my signature? That one is always the most recent.

In case you still can't access it:
    - Initiative: +6
    - AC: 20 (18 when flat-footed)
    - HP: 42
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Well, now we don't need to go looking for them.

Stu's face settles into the familiar battle-mask as his glaive whips up in response to the gnoll's leap. Jockeying for position against the agile dog-man, the orc brings his own glaive down and across, hoping to gut it quickly and move on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Entering rage. Taking a 5' step to K9 (how perfect, when fighting gnolls!). Five points of power attack. Full attack action.

(1d20+12)[26] Attack 1
    (1d20+12)[17] Attack 1 crit confirmation, if applicable
    (1d20+24)[32] Attack 1 damage

(1d20+7)[14] Attack 2
    (1d20+7)[23] Attack 2 crit confirmation, if applicable
    (1d20+24)[37] Attack 2 damage

Edit: HP 86, AC 15
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2007-11-15 at 08:30 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Spoiler
    Show
    Crap, sorry. Damage for the attacks should have been d10, not d20.

(1d10+24)[34] Attack 1 damage
    (1d10+24)[31] Attack 2 damage

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas leaps atop his horse, calling to Strennr "Stabilize the gnome, if you can!" He spurs his mount, charging toward the wolf (W) in the brush, his greatsword swinging downward, his warhorse lashing out with a hoof.

Spoiler
    Show

Horse is war trained, ride check to steer with knees auto succeeds. Fast Mount is DC 20, I beat that, so it is a free action. If my attack hit, it triggered Knockdown. Rolls here.. I think that means I am at KL1516. Spuring takes 1 damage but adds 10 feet of movement.
    Last edited by Sepp; 2007-11-15 at 12:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriphius Decimus-Investigating Empirica
    Lucian Davers-Star Wars: Pirates!
    Crispin Aesier-Kayru

10. - Top - End - #160

Iriades Mon'd'atall

Drawing his sword almost instantly, Iriades heads for the orc archer in the distance...

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge (+2 to hit, -2 AC)

Attack roll - (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage roll - (1d8+2)[7]

Double move (around the horse) up to the orc archer. No attack.

HP: 42
    AC: 20 (mage armor included)
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 2007-11-15 at 02:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #161

Strennr

Strennr looked visibly annoyed at the wolf that bit his leg. He then watched as Jas charged the Orc. "If I must, I will help him." Getting away from the wolf as best he can, Strennr moved over to the gnome and knelt down beside him. He then put his hand on the gnome's chest. "Just so you know, I detest you." He then channeled his healing powers into the little gnome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, if the wolf trips me things will be drastically different.

HP:21 AC:18

If I make it to the gnome, I drop Sound Burst for Cure Moderate Wounds
    Health Healed - (2d8+6)[18]

12. - Top - End - #162

Goblin

Atherin

"Sae, attack!" yells Atherin. The dog Saetherialis bounds forward, snarling. Aeriaphos the hawk launches herself from Atherin's shoulder, passing the dog and bearing down on the enemy wolf.

The elf then knocks an arrow and fires at the orc archer. A second arrow follows in moments.

The ranger's horse is startled by the sudden noise, but not afraid. It remains beside Atherin, watching the goings-on with interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ath attack 1 - (1d20+8)[21] at orc
    Damage - (1d8+1)[6]
    Ath attack 2 - (1d20+8)[11] at orc
    Damage - (1d8+1)[3]

Aeriaphos, being Tiny, must move into the foe's square to attack, provoking an AoO. She has 18 AC and 15 HP.
    Aer attack - (1d20+9)[19] at wolf
    Damage - (1d4-2)[2] (min 1)

Sae ("T" on the map?) is too far away to reach a foe this turn, so he moves to J13.

Yay for animals and mass attacks!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: NPCing Felix. Player mearly needs to post to retake controll.

Felix reacts quickly, drawing his bow and loosing an arrow at the gnoll. The beast screams in pain as the arrow sinks deeply into it's armor. {crit d:15}

Jas nimbly leaps onto his horse maneuvering to free Strennr to act. His mighty blow knocking the wolf off it's feet. {d:12} His horse paws wildly missing the wolf's head.

The gnome is crumbled in a pile in the middle of the battle, still bleeding profusely. {Now at -9 and bleeding}

Stu's slashes rip through the Gnoll's armor initially, but goes wide on his second swing. {d:34}

The Gnoll retaliates against Stu, its spear stabbing deep into Stu's shoulder's twice. Stu feel searing pain as his muscles tear around the shaft. {d:59}

The wolf misses as it bites at the horse. As it stands Jas swings taking another gash out of the wolf, knocking it back to the ground. {d:16}

The orc draws an arrow, but doesn't attack, it appears to be waiting for something.

Strennr moves to heal the gnome, but never makes it. The gnoll catches sight of him moving toward the gnome and stabs at him with its spear. Strennr's voice escapes him as he crumbles, unconcious. {d: 30, now at -9}

Atherin's bow string sings as each arrow flies. The first strikes the Orcs shoulder. {d:6} The second sails over the orcs shoulder, lost in the woods.

Aeriaphos claws at the downed wolf, racking it's back. {d:2}

Saetherialis can't quite make it to finish off the wolf, but gets as close as he can.

Iriades draws his sword apparently intending to gut the Orc, but drops his sword as he sees Strennr go down. He however is unable to stop the flow of blood as it begins to form a pool on the ground beneath Strennr.

Summary to Now
    Init
    Felix {0d}
    Jas {0d}
    Gnome {-9, bleeding}
    Stu {59d}
    Gnoll {49d}
    Wolf {30d}
    Orc {6d}
    Strennr {-9, bleeding in K13}
    Atherin, et al {0d}
    Iriades {0d}

MAP
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-11-16 at 10:42 AM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

14. - Top - End - #164

Iriades Mon'd'atall

[new action]

Iriades draws his sword just as he sees Strennr go down. Knowing that time is of the essence, he quickly crouches down to attempt some hasty first aid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check - (1d20+2)[11]
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 2007-11-16 at 02:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

IF the gnoll is still up at his turn:

Stu grunts as the gnoll's blade bites deep into him, twice. This dog-man knew what he was doing! His face still frozen, he struck back, hard and fast, hoping to end this quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five points of power attack.
    (1d20+12)[25] Attack 1
    (1d20+12)[19] Attack 1 confirmation
    (1d10+24)[33] Attack 1 damage

(1d20+7)[25] Attack 2
    (1d20+7)[13] Attack 2 confirmation
    (1d10+24)[33] Attack 2 damage

If the first attack takes out the gnoll, he'll take a move action to get a healing potion out of his bag, and take a 5' step towards Strennr

IF someone else has taken out the gnoll:

Stu glances down at the blood oozing from his own chest, but then glances over at Strennr and the crazy gnome. Don't think of him as an elf. Think of him as a comrade.

He yanks a healing potion out of his bag and dashes over to the fallen priest. He pours the elixir down the elf's throat.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d8+1)[8] Cure Light wounds

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas, seeing Strennr fall, leaps of his mount, moves to beside Strennr, and activates his wand.

Spoiler
    Show

I failed the roll, so dismounting is a move action. However, since I did not move any distance, I can still take a five foot step. The wolf is prone, so no AoO for wand use. So, dismount to L15, step to L14, use wand. I /think/ that is legal, the only thing I am unsure of is if dismounting allows to pick the square. If it doesn't, I'll attack the wolf instead.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

17. - Top - End - #167

Goblin

Atherin et al

As the wolf falls, Saetherialis skids and leaps instead at the other canine: the gnoll.

"Strennr!" Seeing the devastation wrought by the gnoll, Atherin runs forwards and waves his hand at the dogman, while speaking an arcane syllable. A familiar ray bursts from his palm and strikes the gnoll.

Without any apparent instruction, the hawk leaves the wolf to bleed, instead flying at the orc archer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Saetherialis, riding dog - 18 AC, 13 HP
    Move to K12 (provoking a reach AoO?) and attack the gnoll.
    Attack - (1d20+3)[4] at gnoll
    Damage - (1d6+3)[9]
    Trip - (1d20+2)[4]

Aeriaphos, hawk familiar - 18 AC, 15 HP
    Move to S10 (where the orc is), provoking another AoO. I'm probably pushing the limits of what the primitive mental link can do, but oh well.
    Attack - (1d20+9)[21] at orc
    Damage - (1d4-2)[2] (min 1)

Atherin, elf ranger/wizard - 22 AC, 30 HP
    Move to I13 and cast ray of enfeeblement.
    Touch Attack - (1d20+8)[28] at gnoll
    Str Damage - (1d6)[4]

((At least be glad I'm not attacking with the horse too.))

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

OoC: Felix is still NPC'd.

Felix jumps to action as he see's Strennr fall. He hurries forward, drawing a potion from his pack. Both the Gnoll and the Orc tense and appear to be about to attack, but they don't. Felix kneels at Strennr's side and poors the potion down his throat. {d5 healed}

Jas leaps from his horse and administers some healing of his own. {d3 healed}

The gnome suddenly gasps and shakes as the life leaves his body. He now lies still, beyond the help of all but the best clerics. {-10, dead}

As the gnome's death rattle fades the orc lowers his bow and calls. "We are finished. Withdraw!" He then turns and runs soon disappearing into the brush.

Stu apparently takes exception to this order as he strikes twice at the Gnoll, cleaving its body in two with his final swipe. {-10 exactly}

The wolf quickly scrambles to it's feet and retreats before anyone else can react. It also soon disappears into the brush.

Spoiler
    Show

Unless you want to pursue the battle is over. Stu took 59 damage, and Strennr is at -1, but stable. XP award will be posted shortly in OOC. You won't get the max you could have gotten from that encounter, but it should be enough for a level, counting what I forgot to award from the Ettins.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas leans over Strennr, using his wand again, as he gives him a hand up. "We couldn't save the gnome, I'm afraid." He says, glancing about at the others. "If you're recovered enough, check everyones injuries."

He stands, and turns toward Atherin. "Let's gather up the horses, and make sure they aren't hurt." He calls.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

The orc is sorely tempted to pursue the orc, to punish one who would consort with dog-men. Then, glancing around at his own companions, he realized he had no right to judge.

Leaning heavily on his glaive as the battle rage faded, Stu glanced around. Strennr seemed well cared for, and the gnoll wasn't moving. No point in trying to pursue without horses. Atherin might be able to track the orc later.

He could be back any minute with reinforcements. Let's get the gnome and get out of here.

Bending painfully to the ground, Stu quickly pats down the two halves of the gnoll, in case there's anything of use for later.

Spoiler
    Show
    After rage fades: AC 16. HP 15/74

21. - Top - End - #171

Goblin

Atherin

The ranger kneels next to the body of the gnome. "We knew him only a moment, but... I could have done more," he murmurs. Gradually he stands again, and looks to the cleric. "If you're alright, Strennr, perhaps you could give Dandell his last rites."

Finally he nods to Jas, and begins to gather the horses.

22. - Top - End - #172

Strennr

Strennr held his side, where mere moments ago a gnoll spear had pierced his insides. "Fine, I'll guide him as best I am able. And... thanks everybody... for saving me." Quickly turning to his work, he kneeled down beside the corpse and closed it’s eyes. The then closed his own eyes and began his prayer. All of it was in elven, and it consisted of the last rights given to an ally of the elves. He stood up and looked about at the others. "It is now in the gods hands weather his soul is in it's deserved resting place." He then walked over to the corpse of the gnoll and peered down at it. "I possess a necromantic spell to make the dead talk, and I think we should consult with the dead gnoll about his companions. That is, if anyone speaks Gnoll."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Well, don't look at me - I don't speak bark. And I figure we take the gnome. Do the talk with him, get some answers, bury him quiet. Staying here makes me nervous.

Stu completes his survey of the gnoll's body and rises stiffly.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

On the gnoll you find a fine looking breastplate. It appears to be well crafted, but is not made of any extraordinary material. His spear is laying on the ground beside the body. As you roll the lower half you a large scimitar, also called a falchion. See that weapon, Stu has to truely wonder why the gnoll did not move to engage him where his glaive would have proved a hindrance.

Searching the pockets of his cloths you find 25gp and 2 potions. On one of his fingers you see a ring.
    Last edited by Kyroswolf; 2007-11-18 at 06:11 PM.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

25. - Top - End - #175

Strennr

Strennr thought a second. "Well, I guess I could do that. We may not get the same information out of him as the Gnoll, but we will then learn what he was trying to tell us earlier." He walked over to the gnomes corpse again and looked at the others. "I can only ask a few questions. What should I ask?"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

Jas walks over to Stu, leading his horse, and hands the reins to him. "Looks like he did a number on you." He says, glancing down at the body. "He carrying anything interesting?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[18] Appraise check on the glaive, to see if there's anything special about it to explain the gnoll's tactics.

Stu hands the coins, potions and ring to Jas to hold.

Not as bad as the number we did on him. Bad enough, though. But I remember my lesson well. There's one kind of service for those as worship Larethian, and one for the rest of us.

Stu notices that the blood has begun oozing again. Rummaging in his pack, he finds an old shirt which he tears to wrap around his abdomen.

Look, Strennr, you wanna question the gnoll, we can hitch him up behind you on your horse. I really don't want to stick around here to chit-chat.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: assuming you meant to appraise the spear.

The spear is worth at least 1000gp. Though you can't narrow it's exact value.
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Stu

Spoiler
    Show
    Doh! Yup. Spear is what I meant.

Stu gathers up the gnoll's spear to hold alongside his own glaive. He nods to it.

This'll bear a second look too. Dog-men usually aren't so well equipped.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jas Norn

"Might as well check the ring as well." Jas replies.
    Spoiler
    Show

Crispin Aesier-Kayru