The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Wonders 3 noobie tips?

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I've never really tested it, but it also seems to me that sorcerer probably gets weaker on larger maps, since basically all their class units (apprentices accepted) need to be summoned. Even though they can get oodles of casting points, that's still a serious throttle on production compared to a solid industrial base.

On the other hand, with a big map it's usually pretty easy to put together a 3-4 race empire, which gives a great range of T3 units, which probably goes a long way towards covering the gap. And if you get lucky and pick up a dragon or giant dwelling...
    That's my main problem with the larger maps. It often just comes down to who gets a good dwelling first. Sometimes I get tired of it and turn them off, but it sucks to do that because commanding an army of dragons is pretty cool.

I would say Sorcerer is even stronger on larger maps than small ones though. The ability to summon an army anywhere gets more valuable the farther the map forces you to stray from home.

If I had to make a class tier list it would look something like Sorcerer>Druid>Warlord>Dreadnaught>>>Theocrat>>>>> >Rogue. Rogue and Theocrat are my favorite to actually play though. I haven't tried Necromancer enough to rank it. It feels really weak when I play against it, but that may be because I tend to play Theocrat.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

The Necromancer is widely considered to be overpowered, and a balance mod for single player and PBEM puts a lot of effort into weakening it. Being able to convert enemy troops with ghoul curse and easily bring back your own units can let you pick up a lot of momentum.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, with a big map it's usually pretty easy to put together a 3-4 race empire, which gives a great range of T3 units, which probably goes a long way towards covering the gap. And if you get lucky and pick up a dragon or giant dwelling...
    The dwellings in general tend to be pretty solid. Faeries wreck low resistance units like nothing else (some apprentices come close), naga are just generally fantastic and also have a tier 4 unit available, and even the archons have the archon giant, though they're definitely on the flimsy end as far as dwellings go.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I really think rogue deserves more credit. You can see everywhere and 6 shadowstalkers can beat 6 of any other unit.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The dwellings in general tend to be pretty solid. Faeries wreck low resistance units like nothing else (some apprentices come close), naga are just generally fantastic and also have a tier 4 unit available, and even the archons have the archon giant, though they're definitely on the flimsy end as far as dwellings go.
    Fairies are basically special forces. Capable in any terrain, and well equipped to mess up just about anybody, so long as they don't get stuck into a serious unsupported slugging match.

And while the archons aren't all that, they are just the worst to have as neighbors, what with their pathological hatred of all life. And probably all other undead, if you're rolling that way.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I think what I love about the sorcerer is you can actually play defensive, in a game where you are more or less encouraged not to play defensive. I *like* being a turtle.

I agree that there's really very little that can stop a fast moving necromancer. Necromancer forces you to play the way the game probably should be played- fast and on the offensive at all times.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Fairies are basically special forces. Capable in any terrain, and well equipped to mess up just about anybody, so long as they don't get stuck into a serious unsupported slugging match.

And while the archons aren't all that, they are just the worst to have as neighbors, what with their pathological hatred of all life. And probably all other undead, if you're rolling that way.
    My favorite unit of six is actually one theorcrat with resurgence and 5 nightshade fairies

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Fairies also do 3 types of damage so even if the enemy resists one they still tend to dole out a shoeing.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Fairies also do 3 types of damage so even if the enemy resists one they still tend to dole out a shoeing.
    This is exactly why I like them so much against lower resistance units. Every point of resistance throws off damage per attack by 3 instead of 1*, and it's not exactly unlikely to get those 3 attack volleys off. Which means an extra 9 points of damage per point short. This adds up really fast. That said, if you end up taking potshots at high tier naga or something it also goes in the other direction and ends up a little bit on the sad side.

*On average, keeping in mind shifts in how ranges work, elemental weaknesses, etc.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    My favorite unit of six is actually one theorcrat with resurgence and 5 nightshade fairies
    I love resurgence because it lets me just turn my brain off and not worry about casualties. I hate that there's no synergy from it with the Theocrat's own units though. It doesn't apply to the shrine of smiting, and Exalted already have it, so unless you're pumping out dwelling creatures there's just no point in getting the skill.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

True, but it works well with the racial T3s.

Are there any add ons that say double the cost of dispel magic?
    My fights with the computer are basically:
    Me: Cast something
    Computer: Dispel it

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

True, but it works well with the racial T3s.

Are there any add ons that say double the cost of dispel magic?
    My fights with the computer are basically:
    That's true, but I find that by the time my hero is level 10 to unlock it, I'm not using the racial T3's much anymore.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Does anyone have any luck with computer diplomacy? Seems like no matter what I do, every single on of the computer players hates my guts and makes peace with every other computer. I play on Hard.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone have any luck with computer diplomacy? Seems like no matter what I do, every single on of the computer players hates my guts and makes peace with every other computer. I play on Hard.
    You can watch their alignments. Beyond that choke points are your friend - if you have 12 units in a 1-wide hallway, and they have 12 units in that 1-wide hallway it's basically blocked for both of you. THis tends to be especially critical in the underground.

-- ChubbyRain

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Oh, I'm pretty good at the tactics of the game, including choke points. I just seem to wind up taking on every computer player at the same time due to them all declaring war on me.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

It's inevitable, once they detect you trying to win the game. Don't go seal-capping until you've got some substantially large spare armies sitting around. Prior to that though, I usually do just fine.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

You can also just turn on teams if you really want an AI companion, but diplomacy is for minor factions and keeping peace until you can CRUSH.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

I always avoid alliances in this game because I find that sharing vision makes the pc turns take forever. They already take way too long on large maps. Especially late game.