New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

So, just curious: what are you favorite obscure things in 3.5? PrCs, feats, spells, items, races etc.

I thought this might be a good chance to unearth some forgotten gems.

Cheers - T

prc
    Cold Iron Warrior - it's not great, but I like the flavor

feat
    Corrupt Arcane Studies - +1 to DC and to overcome SR. If you can avoid the drawbacks, by being Kalashtar for instance, all the better.

spell
    Leomund’s Billet - for miltary type games, or large parties.

item
    Ring of Theurgy - a (temporary) extra spell known for spontaneous casters.

race
    Io-Rach Goblin - awful stats, but something I only became aware of recently.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    So, just curious: what are you favorite obscure things in 3.5? PrCs, feats, spells, items, races etc.

I thought this might be a good chance to unearth some forgotten gems.

Cheers - T
    This'll be fun:

prc
    jaunter (demonweb) is a fun class useful for anything that requires the spring attack line

feat
    ocular spell: one of the few metamagic feats that doesn't need another as tax. fun and interesting for a lot of characters

spell
    murderous mist: bfc, damage, and status all in one. since it's a ref save, I like to use it on constructs and undead, who lack a blanket immunity to permanent blindness

bind to hell: for enemies such as liches who have annoying habits of resurrecting themselves

cloak of khyber: disguise that trumps true seeing

item
    ring of anticipation (dotu) +2 competence on listen/spot and when rolling init, roll twice and take the better result
    ring of spell-battle (mic): id enemy spells and redirect them 1/day

race
    muckdweller (sk) good to be tiny

misc
    skilled city dweller is really good at qualifying for things, letting you trade a variety of crappy skills in for good ones.

will add as they come to me
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Candle Caster from Tome and Blood. Not so much for PC's because the cost is a bit of a pain. However I have played with having a madman wizard villain filling a church with candles of Fireball that he sets off with Prestidigitation. Candle Casters has a lot of nuke potential given all it takes to set their spells off is the lighting of a candle.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

One of my very favorite feats is Fell Conspiracy in Exemplars of Evil. Great party-wide benefits for very reasonable costs. How many feats can trivially give the entire party a +8 typeless bonus to Spot and Listen all day long for just 50 gp? That's assuming just a four-individual party, mind you.

Is the rod of ropes obscure? It's in Complete Scoundrel, which isn't exactly super hidden, but it's also not quite a go-to for items. I love it because it is a hookshot. Who doesn't want a hookshot?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I have always had a silly love for fiendbinder. It feels like the real pet class for me, as far as 3.x goes, even outpacing druid/beastmaster in my eyes. Gives me that good diablo 2 army necro feel.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ooh, fun idea.

I've only got a PrC for now:

Swiftblade. Not sure how obscure it is, but it's an online class so I'm counting it. I'm a gish addict, and this is a fantastic class for that, ranking just a hint below Abjurant Champion in how well it gishes in my book. In terms of flavor and fun mechanics, it's probably top of my list.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-07-12 at 07:11 PM.

Avatar kindly provided by TinyMushroom!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Prestige Class:
    Elemental Scion of Zilargo from Magic of Eberron. The 7th level Elemental Merge feature is the draw, when used in conjunction with Water Devotion, you can basically wear Water Elementals like power armor, making you nigh invulnerable if you have the right set up.

The difficulty is making it substantially stronger than the stock water elemental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    One of my very favorite feats is Fell Conspiracy in Exemplars of Evil. Great party-wide benefits for very reasonable costs. How many feats can trivially give the entire party a +8 typeless bonus to Spot and Listen all day long for just 50 gp? That's assuming just a four-individual party, mind you.
    Don't forget any familiars, animal companions, or other pets/followers! The other options you get from this feat are also pretty cool - Message at-will (doesn't require costly component and doesn't appear to be restricted to the other members of your Conspiracy) and practical immunity to being flat-footed and flanked. You only suffer those conditions if every member of your conspiracy is, which is generally going to be quite hard to pull off.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Don't forget any familiars, animal companions, or other pets/followers! The other options you get from this feat are also pretty cool - Message at-will (doesn't require costly component and doesn't appear to be restricted to the other members of your Conspiracy) and practical immunity to being flat-footed and flanked. You only suffer those conditions if every member of your conspiracy is, which is generally going to be quite hard to pull off.
    Yup, that’s why I said “trivially.” You start getting non-humanoids in on the fun and things escalate darned quickly. But you can get the +8 in most parties without doing anything that’s even slightly opposed to RAI.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Obscure PrC: Knight of the Iron Glacier. It's the single best dip for a Paladin, and works nicely for a (Strongheart)Halfling Outrider Devoted Tracker ubermounter. You can easily get the Megaloceros to 25HD by level 15. Pretty feat-intensive, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Ornithopter from Arms and Equipment Guide.

Create Crawling Claw from Magic of Faerun.

Crawling Claws from Lost Empires of Faerun.

Techsmith of Gond.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PrC: Elemental Archon from Faiths and Pantheons. The mephit underlings are a sweet deal, and I love the flavor on the abilities with them.

Feat: Hardened Criminal from City of Stormreach (how's that for obscure). Gain Skill Mastery in a single skill, and immunity to intimidate to boot.

Another Feat: Harvester of Souls from Elder Evils: A complete NPC feat, but there's something to be said for an ability you can gain at level 12 that can't be undone without 9th level spells.

Spell: Door of Decay from Complete Champion. An incredibly powerful and flavorful spell for anyone with an army of the undead, and makes a special exception to let Dread Necromancers take it.

Item: The Dastana and Chahar-Aina from Oriental Adventures. An additional +1 stacking armor bonus each for bargain-bin prices. Slap on masterwork to reduce the penalty and you've got an item any character with light armor can use.

Is the rod of ropes obscure? It's in Complete Scoundrel, which isn't exactly super hidden, but it's also not quite a go-to for items. I love it because it is a hookshot. Who doesn't want a hookshot?
    I always found it interesting how Fell Conspiracy is framed as profane and wicked when all it does is foster teamwork and communication.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2019-07-12 at 11:00 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Item: Clockwork mask of the mindflayer from legend of the silver skeleton page 21

Feats: charming the arrow from fey feature, cards over swords from that terrible marketing ploy

Race: brownie from one of the web thingies

I'm seconding jaunter. That class is cool

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

that's a great item. very economical.

I have to say liquid sunlight. buy a pearl once and never worry about illumination rules again.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

An obscure item I really like is the Rod of Ropes (Complete Scoundrel). Costs 4000 gold, and you can use it as an extendable rope up to 300ft, a rope with a grappling hook that you can use to hook onto things or people, or a rope with a sliding tool on it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Item: Clockwork mask of the mindflayer from legend of the silver skeleton page 21
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    that's a great item. very economical.
    8,000gp gets you 4 natural attacks (as a standard action, no less), plus improved grab and extract!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

3rd party, but the Kingdoms of Kalamar book Salt & Sea Dogs has some awesome items and enhancements for building/customizing a ship, as well as templates like Ghost Ship that you can apply to an existing ship.

Actually, this next one is 3rd party too. BoEF gets a bad rap, but the races and templates it has are actually really good. My favorite is probably Giantborn. +2 LA, but gives you some pretty good stats, and you keep unlocking abilities as you level up, including permanently growing a size once you reach 10th level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    8,000gp gets you 4 natural attacks (as a standard action, no less), plus improved grab and extract!
    next grappler I build, I'm buying that item. even if the size limit is hardcapped and doesn't scale with your size, it's more than worth it.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post

Feats: charming the arrow from fey feature, cards over swords from that terrible marketing ploy

Race: brownie from one of the web thingies

I'm seconding jaunter. That class is cool
    What the Baator is Legend of the Silver Skeleton?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

What the Baator is Legend of the Silver Skeleton?
    An adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

PrC: Reforged (Races of Eberron). Mechanically it's 0retty bad, but I love the idea of the puppet who wanted to be a real boy :)

Race: Warforged Scout (MM3): everybody knows warforged, but way fewer people are familiar with its small sized brother

Feat: Rapid Spell (CD) normally it's pretty useless, but I love it for Summoner builds. Combined with any Metamagic reducers it allows you to get standard action summon spells.

Item: Psionic Tattoo of Ectoplasmic Form. For only 750 gp, you get a very potent escape item that, until very high level, most foes have no way to prevent.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'm thirding Jaunter. It's just amazing. And if you can get a template that grants Spring Attack, it's an easy way to get Teleportation + Plane Shift in an E6 game !

Although there are very few templates that grant Spring Attack. I used the Pathfinder Quickling template. Otherwise, you'll have to qualify by using an item and many GMs dislike that.

EDIT : Residual Magic is amazing.
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2019-07-13 at 10:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Feat: Charming the Arrow (Fey Feature, Life in a Noble House)

Use your CHA bonus in place of your DEX bonus on ranged attack rolls. Yes, you have to be Fey, but that's why you get Unseelie Fey as a LA +0 template.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

The Hengeyokai, particularly the Hengeyokai Sparrow seems fun. I don't know any other way to play a fine size character at level 1. Fine size + dexterity gives you AC 24 and Hide+22. Also, you can carry very heavy items by lifting them off the ground and transforming into a sparrow so they are absorbed in your form. All of this for LA+0 under the 3.5 revision.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Proteus: gives ridiculous versatility for prepared Shadowcraft Mages or even standard illusionist builds.
    Even on many Shadowcraft Mage threads, this gem is barely mentioned despite how good it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Feat: Jungle Veteran. Allows you to always act during the surprise round. No prerequisites. Not an effect you usually see available at such a low cost.

Feat: Spawn of the Dark Prince. Not only does it give a whopping +10 to Bluff checks, it's also an Abyssal Heritor feat, which means you can get it from embrace the dark chaos without even having to do the full shuffle.

Spells: Boccob's rolling cloud. It's the same damage as fireball, but it's a cone instead of a spread, and the damage is evenly split between fire, electricity, positive energy, and negative energy, so it still interacts with fire-related stuff like Fiery Spell or Fiery Burst, but it isn't nerfed by one of the most common resistances in the game. Here's the kicker: anyone who fails their Reflex save for half damage also needs to make a Fortitude save or be dazed. Not too bad. "But spreads are easier to aim than cones, and what are the odds of them failing two saves in a row?" you might cry. Well, my friend, I have another underrated alternative for you: shockwave. It deals 1d4/level nonlethal force damage (max 10d4) in a 20 ft. radius, and anyone who fails a Fortitude save is dazed for a round. No energy resistance at all, and you can subdue enemies rather than killing them, and you get a save-or-suck on top of it all.

Spell: Shark bolt. Imagine scorching ray, except instead of flame rays, it's sharks. How cool is that.

Item: Chickens. Did you realize they're only 2 cp? That's 50 chickens for a single gold piece. Do you know how many monsters you can distract by throwing chickens at them? A lot of monsters, that's how many.

Item: Amber amulet of vermin. These things are wildly underpriced for their effect. Only 700 gp to drop a massive scorpion on your enemies' heads? A bargain.

Prestige class: Urban savant. Easy to get into, gives lots of skill points, full casting, and you can peek at the enemy's character sheet. One of the best arcane prestige classes around IMO, but I rarely see it mentioned.

Prestige class: Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu. Have you seen that 10th level ability? It lets you turn an illusion into reality. That's free magic items with Nystul's magic aura right there. Plus it adds a bunch of illusion spells to your spell list, or, if you're a warlock, even better, gives them to you as SLAs, which means no material components for simulacrum and ice assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    I have always had a silly love for fiendbinder. It feels like the real pet class for me, as far as 3.x goes, even outpacing druid/beastmaster in my eyes. Gives me that good diablo 2 army necro feel.
    The Dragon Magazine one or the Tome of Magic one?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

A rogue in an online game I'm in loves his rod of ropes.

I played a spiker (Planar Handbook) that was kinda fun. Sadly, the game he was in died...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Feat: Jungle Veteran. Allows you to always act during the surprise round. No prerequisites. Not an effect you usually see available at such a low cost.

Feat: Spawn of the Dark Prince. Not only does it give a whopping +10 to Bluff checks, it's also an Abyssal Heritor feat, which means you can get it from embrace the dark chaos without even having to do the full shuffle.

Spells: Boccob's rolling cloud. It's the same damage as fireball, but it's a cone instead of a spread, and the damage is evenly split between fire, electricity, positive energy, and negative energy, so it still interacts with fire-related stuff like Fiery Spell or Fiery Burst, but it isn't nerfed by one of the most common resistances in the game. Here's the kicker: anyone who fails their Reflex save for half damage also needs to make a Fortitude save or be dazed. Not too bad. "But spreads are easier to aim than cones, and what are the odds of them failing two saves in a row?" you might cry. Well, my friend, I have another underrated alternative for you: shockwave. It deals 1d4/level nonlethal force damage (max 10d4) in a 20 ft. radius, and anyone who fails a Fortitude save is dazed for a round. No energy resistance at all, and you can subdue enemies rather than killing them, and you get a save-or-suck on top of it all.

Spell: Shark bolt. Imagine scorching ray, except instead of flame rays, it's sharks. How cool is that.

Item: Chickens. Did you realize they're only 2 cp? That's 50 chickens for a single gold piece. Do you know how many monsters you can distract by throwing chickens at them? A lot of monsters, that's how many.

Item: Amber amulet of vermin. These things are wildly underpriced for their effect. Only 700 gp to drop a massive scorpion on your enemies' heads? A bargain.

Prestige class: Urban savant. Easy to get into, gives lots of skill points, full casting, and you can peek at the enemy's character sheet. One of the best arcane prestige classes around IMO, but I rarely see it mentioned.

Prestige class: Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu. Have you seen that 10th level ability? It lets you turn an illusion into reality. That's free magic items with Nystul's magic aura right there. Plus it adds a bunch of illusion spells to your spell list, or, if you're a warlock, even better, gives them to you as SLAs, which means no material components for simulacrum and ice assassin.

That's a pretty great list - I wasn't aware of quite a lot of those, which is the exact reason I created this thread.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

athasian human from dragon is fun for a psionic campaign, but it's dragon material..
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The guns from Dragon #321. Just because of the anachronism, and because of how much you can freak out your DM when he pulls out his horde of orcs and you noscope them with your “Rocket Launcher”. That shoots bombs. 1d10 to the target, and 1d4 to everybody within 50 feet.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。