The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Props again for the mountebank. I actually made a fix for it, mostly because I hated the fact it's capstone was "beg the DM or be removed from play harder than risen martyr." The concept was really cool and was like a sneaky warlock at base.
    Doesn't every single 4e class have a capstone that basically does the same thing?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

It would be interesting to play a Mountebank//Dread Necro in a gestalt game.

At level 20 you simultaneously become a Half-fiend and a Lich. Lichfiend?

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Doesn't every single 4e class have a capstone that basically does the same thing?
    Kind of. Of the classes I remember (Fighter and Rogue definitely, maybe Ranger) all had 3 or so options for their final daily power, and one of the options for each was an attack that did a whole lot of damage (7x your weapon's damage IIRC). I wouldn't be surprised if every class had a similar option, but it's always just one of the available choices.

Also, any character that takes the same Epic Destiny (many of which are available to all characters) will an additional capstone-like ability identical to any other player with the same Epic Destiny. If you're only using the PHB, which doesn't have a lot of EDs to choose from, I could totally see multiple players (or even the whole party in extreme cases) picking the same one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessKng View Post
    -Sidenote that fits as an obscure theory: If you take all appearances of the iconic characters and consider them all canon as part of a long story, you could argue that Mialee is the most powerful. Not only does she have a prestige class AND reaches epic levels as a wizard besides that, she is literally the only character in the game portrayed as a Gestalt character, not once but thrice. If you assume she hit all 20 levels in each class, and was using wizard and candlecaster to fill in the other side, she arguably ends up a (Wizard 50/Candlecaster 10)//(Fighter 20/Rogue 20/Ranger 20).
    There's also the fact that she's seen summoning a Coatl (PHB pg 286) and a Nalfeshnee (FC pg 89) which leads us to believe traveling with her must have been quite a doozy, since at some point her alignment does an absolute 180.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli View Post
    There's also the fact that she's seen summoning a Coatl (PHB pg 286) and a Nalfeshnee (FC pg 89) which leads us to believe traveling with her must have been quite a doozy, since at some point her alignment does an absolute 180.
    Nah - Wizards can summon what they like.

6. - Top - End - #306

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Nah - Wizards can summon what they like.
    They aren't bound by the alignment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

They aren't bound by the alignment?
    Only Clerics have that restriction, AIUI. It's still an Evil act to summon an Evil creature; but then, if you're using Planar Binding, in order to do that you will first have had to cast a Magic Circle against Evil, which is a Good spell, so, you're probably fine...

8. - Top - End - #308
    Colossus in the Playground

There's no "redemption points" mirror to Corruption points though. A wizard casting [evil] summoning spells increases their Corruption - but casting [good] spells doesn't decrease it. Only atoning for each cast, does that.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    There's no "redemption points" mirror to Corruption points though. A wizard casting [evil] summoning spells increases their Corruption - but casting [good] spells doesn't decrease it. Only atoning for each cast, does that.
    Maybe, but "corruption points" are so optional that I don't even know what rule you're referring to. Unearthed Arcana? Heroes of Horror? I've never seen them in actual play.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Corruption points are the method used by the Pact Primeval to determine whether a creature is sent to the Nine Hells when they die in the default cosmology. FC2 has more info. Notably, the system applies only to Lawful creatures.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh cool, thanks.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Notably, the system applies only to Lawful creatures.

It also has an Obesiance Points system that applies to Evil, non-lawful, creatures.

I think the idea is, if you're Lawful and your Corruption is 9+, you go to the Nine Hells after death - but if you're non-Lawful and both your Corruption and Obesiance scores are 9+, you go to the Nine Hells after death, regardless of your actual alignment.

I'm not sure if there are any Mialee pics in FC2 - but there is one in FC1 - the one that shows her summoning a Nalfeshnee.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-08-16 at 12:49 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Extra side-note to the Corruption point system: The FCII rules for removing corruption points fit with the redemption rules from Complete Champion (which has the Pendant of Redemption, i.e. the single most useful item in this regard), which require giving up all gains, making restitution to all harmed, and doing some sorta penance activity as dictated by a spiritual advisor.

Anyone with corruption 3 or lower can reset by simply doing those, while those with 4+ explicitly need atonement spells in addition, although those who gained benefits they can't get rid of may be SoL.

The BoED rules which basically turn redemption into 2 weeks of therapy, on the other hand, may change alignment but technically do nothing to undo corruption points. There is, to my knowledge, no system to undo obeisance points; so avoiding a lawful afterlife seems harder than avoiding an evil one; unless you accept that obeisance only applies if corruption is met.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Talaire is an interesting race made of 6 houses, each with its own psi like ability. They're found in Complete Psionic right after Synad, and I didn't see them the first time around because instead of being laid out like a normal race they're interlaced with the fluff and long history.
    I interpreted this as "each individual is made of 6 houses", like the Dvati but instead of 2 humanoids it's 6 houses; I was really disappointed to realize what you actually meant.

Also I just want to say how incredibly glad that Wizards seems to have stopped (?) copyright enforcement on 3.5 a few years ago and we have sites like D&D Tools, RealmsHelp and some sites where you can just google a book and click on a PDF of the entire book rather than having to do a weird download process from a dodgy site; this thread would be utterly impossible to read without those.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexxation View Post
    Total Perspective Vortex is a beautiful way to kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades of gray View Post
    Ummm... You fall, rock dies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Butterfly Effect is maximized when the butterfly can bend space-time to its will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    No one expects the Crayon Exposition!
    Quote Originally Posted by quick_comment
    If you get an item of bloodwind, you can hurl your beard at people, captain america style

When Fistbeard Beardfist throws his beard, all who oppose his beard must yield!

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderRM View Post
    Also I just want to say how incredibly glad that Wizards seems to have stopped (?) copyright enforcement on 3.5 a few years ago and we have sites like D&D Tools, RealmsHelp and some sites where you can just google a book and click on a PDF of the entire book rather than having to do a weird download process from a dodgy site; this thread would be utterly impossible to read without those.
    Monsterfinder is gone. No clue why but they probably got DMCA'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Black for normal/uncaring/bored. Purple for in love. Blue for being a jerk/sarcastic bum.

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

For some strange reason I have a severe reaction to sunlight when it hits my eyes, no clue why or what causes it so yeah...
    The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Obscure monster/template: Gravewight (Standing Stone p.31). Much better than the Wight template. +4 Natural Armor, Energy drain, Fear Aura, Frightful Presence, DR, Turn Resistance, Resist Cold & Electricity 20, Resist Fire 10, Str +4, Dex +2, Con --, Wis +2, Cha +4, +8 to Move Silently, and Blind Fight + Improved Initiative as bonus feats.

All for the low, low cost of CR +1. Great for Undead BBEGs.

Since it's 3.0 it lacks an Level Adjustment entry, so if your table plays that as LA +0, good luck to you (would not fly at most tables).
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2019-08-17 at 04:43 PM.

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Obscure monster/template: Gravewight (Standing Stone p.31). Much better than the Wight template. +4 Natural Armor, Energy drain, Fear Aura, Frightful Presence, DR, Turn Resistance, Resist Cold & Electricity 20, Resist Fire 10, Str +4, Dex +2, Con --, Wis +2, Cha +4, +8 to Move Silently, and Blind Fight + Improved Initiative as bonus feats.

All for the low, low cost of LA +1. Great for Undead BBEGs.

Since it's 3.0 it lacks an Level Adjustment entry, so if your table plays that as LA +0, good luck to you (would not fly at most tables).
    Is it LA +1, or does it lack level adjustment? Did you mean CR +1?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 21, and you're welcome to join even if you've never tried before!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Is it LA +1, or does it lack level adjustment? Did you mean CR +1?
    Oops, meant CR +1...

19. - Top - End - #319

Monster: Deadly Dancer from Tome of Magic(pact magic monsters). It has next to nothing to do with binding save that they worship Paimon and mark their territory with his seal. Though they're seriously weird. ...and in some strange way kind of beautiful, I guess?
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2019-08-18 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Black for normal/uncaring/bored. Purple for in love. Blue for being a jerk/sarcastic bum.

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

For some strange reason I have a severe reaction to sunlight when it hits my eyes, no clue why or what causes it so yeah...
    The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Looks like the victim of multiple weapon grafts from a psychic warrior.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

21. - Top - End - #321

I immediately thought of 40k tyranid hormagaunt

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hormagaunt

22. - Top - End - #322

All for the low, low cost of CR +1. Great for Undead BBEGs.

Resist Cold? Isnt immunity to cold an undead trait? It has turn resist and Con - so I'm assuming its undead like the normal Ghoul...

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    Resist Cold? Isnt immunity to cold an undead trait? It has turn resist and Con - so I'm assuming its undead like the normal Ghoul...
    Undead are not natively immune to cold, no. Skeletons are immune and are the most commonly encountered undead due to be easy to build encounters with enough resistances to annoy the entire party (and actually make turn undead look good).

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    I immediately thought of 40k tyranid hormagaunt

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hormagaunt
    Speaking of 40K, how about the Kruthiks from Miniatures Handook?

...who are the bargain basement cousins of the Kythons from BoVD.
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2019-08-18 at 05:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, the Kruthik was good enough to get honored with a pretty sweet meld in Magic of Incarnum; I can't say the same for the Kython.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Undead are not natively immune to cold, no. Skeletons are immune and are the most commonly encountered undead due to be easy to build encounters with enough resistances to annoy the entire party (and actually make turn undead look good).
    huh wow idk how that flew by me. I somehow thought it was all undead. weird.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Hey, the Kruthik was good enough to get honored with a pretty sweet meld in Magic of Incarnum; I can't say the same for the Kython.
    Thatís Ďcuz kruthiks are magical beasts and kythons are aberrations. Totemist melds are all supposed to be based on magical beasts. (Except, like, the beast tamerís circlet, hunterís circlet, and riding bracers, but whatever.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 21, and you're welcome to join even if you've never tried before!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

...who are the bargain basement cousins of the Kythons from BoVD.
    I freaking LOVE the kythons! I should research a raw way to add them to the summons list.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    I freaking LOVE the kythons! I should research a raw way to add them to the summons list.
    It's a little weird that there's no aberration summoning ability. It'd fit with the Lovecraft theming so many of them have.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    It's a little weird that there's no aberration summoning ability. It'd fit with the Lovecraft theming so many of them have.
    I once tried home-brewing this ability for Alienists, to replace their awful Summon Monster nerf...