New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Oh a way to power up alienists is just to apply the *other* pseudo-natural template to what they summon. You know, the one from the epic level handbook.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Okay, here's a weird one I just found today and am instantly in love with.

Stonewalker Fist, from Races of Faerun, lets you alter the elemental composition of your fist in order to punch through ARMOR. At level 1! This could be the single most awesome feat in the history of D&D (as far as flavor, at least).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

you know how hard it is to get cold iron on natural weapons? i mean, without putting metalin on something like a mouthpick or beast claw gauntlet.....anyway!

From complet champion, p124 (and 125)
    Metal Fang, a druid/ranger 2 spell.
    living creature touched
    Make one of the targets natural attacks into cold iron or silver and it stacks with itself so you can have cold iron silver natural attacks!
    also, i didnt do a typo, it say make them cold iron or silver.
    it does mention it counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction though.

From Shining Sout: There is the vapor bottle pg 57, perfect for the cloud cloak tactic (i see it necessary to mention, this same book has airship for faerun as well).

Also, a paladin/blackguard can make any kind of mount flying with the synergist effect of: master cavalier, war-mount and phantom charge spells, 2, 3 and 4th lvl respectivelly.

Another spell: haboob from sandstorm.
    its like fog cloud /obscuring mist but it does 1d4 / 2 caster lvl damage to those inside it with no save or SR (aside from the 1st round, if the creatures were in the area when you cast it, they get a reflex save for half)
    You can also get it, for 3 times a day as a Weapon enchantment, for +3.

And there is, the sandy version enabling items of the cloudy suprise tactic as well (why do i like that idea, even without SA?)
    Bottle of endless sand on page 132 wich act like an endless bottle of water (but gives ample material components for haboob) and Googles of the desert wich let you see in duststrom conditions (wich might allow you to use it with an eversmoking bottle as well....) on pg 134.

The sandshaper prestigeclass also has a very interesting point in its description, preciselly the last sentence of the combat section of playing one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playing a sandshaper, combat
    When you reach 10th level, even losing your head
    holds no real danger for you; the desert can bring you back to life, even if all that is left of you is dust.
    Would it mean that, in a desser terrain, not even a disintegrate would kill you, permamently?
    Last edited by TheCount; 2019-08-20 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Also pseudodragons takes easily more screen time than "true" dragons.
    (but it is fair: "true" dragons are not telepathic venomous flying cats and so does not deserve screen time like a pseudodragon)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    you know how hard it is to get cold iron on natural weapons? i mean, without putting metalin on something like a mouthpick or beast claw gauntlet.....anyway!
    Just yesterday I was reading through the feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite (that's where I found Stonewalker Fist), and found Earth Fist (RoS), which lets your unarmed strikes count as cold iron. One other prereq feat (Earth Sense), and you have to be a dwarf, gnome, or goliath.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Just yesterday I was reading through the feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite (that's where I found Stonewalker Fist), and found Earth Fist (RoS), which lets your unarmed strikes count as cold iron. One other prereq feat (Earth Sense), and you have to be a dwarf, gnome, or goliath.
    Ihave a preference for humans:P

yeah, there is another feat, sun soul monk, if you worship Selune your unarmed counts as cold iron as well and im sure there are some more tucked away somewhere...
    But it IS true that feats are more expensive than class levels....
    though Cold Iron Warrior is a bit too expensive at 8 levels to get that effect:P

but earth sense has other nice stuff going for it as well.

also, i meant hard if you want to play something....not terribly optimized (or extremly optimized, YMMV).
    (but it is fair: "true" dragons are not telepathic venomous flying cats and so does not deserve screen time like a pseudodragon)

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Another way to overcome cold iron DR with unarmed strikes (as a bonus, works with other weapons too): Cold Iron Warrior 7

Cold Iron Strike (Su): Beginning at 7th level, a cold iron warrior's unarmed strike or any weapon he wields bypasses cold iron damage reduction.
    ...it's a pretty heavy investment though. 7 levels in a flavorful, but not mechanically great, PrC.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Split the difference, play a Human with 3 levels of Stoneblessed and Earth Fist!

8. - Top - End - #338
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    So, just curious: what are you favorite obscure things in 3.5? PrCs, feats, spells, items, races etc.
    PRC: Factotum

Feat: Font of Inspiration

Item: Wand Sheathe (Only holds 1 wand in Pathfinder but there is one that holds 5 in 3.5)

Spell: Flicker (Cast once and have instant teleport for rnds/lvl)

Race: Rilkan (a great feat for spellcasters and rogues, they gain every knowledge as trained AND gain a +2 to each knowledge, i use it for factotum when i cant use the race builder)

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

So i stumbled across the spell dancer from magic of faerun in a build write up, and didnt know why its so good.
    Its ability to cast metamagiced speels for additional rounds instead of spell level increase is a wounderfull thing for buffs imo, though, im curious if heighten spell is compatible with it or not..... bu then, you can just throw on more metamagic the old way maybe!:D

Then, i read some more and come across the war wizard.....
    despite its name, sorcerers can enter as well, and at lvl3 you can use widen for free, and no increased casting time for 1 + Cha bonus times per day, if any.
    at 5th, the increas from widen spell becomes 100 percent instead of 50 whenever used.
    they also get 2 other meta-magaic feat of thier chocie, and weapon focus with the martial weapon they qualified.
    Did i mention its a Full caster PRC?

There is also some interesting items in it:
    Sreaming weapon enchantments, wich do your standard +1d6 additional sonic damage on every hit.....but they still function in SILENCE!!!! and only for a +1!!!

A version of surstriking, wich overcomes most damagereductions as if it were a +5 weapon. Sadly, its not compatible with 3.5 DR system, but i still find it nice, especially for +1.

Lit with Danger: this +1 shortspear, 1/day, when attacked in melee by an invisible foe, AUTOMATICALLY casts fairy fire on it. niche, i know, but i like it:)

Quarterstaff of Battle: +3 quarterstaff of speed, with interesting abilities, but what caught my eye? that its descriptions says it cant be damaged by slashing or piercing weapons! Sunder? yeah, i know whats that, but how many people use it with blunt weapons?

Spectral Dagger:: alright, excuse me for a moment *deep breath* i LOVE this one. it has no blade, so no normal damage, but its like a permament Chill Touch, that anyone can use! though, most likely worthless against anything with spell resistance.
    the free strenght damage is just a nice extra, alas, fort saves are hardly failed at high levels.

Oil of Animate Dead: you can controll up to 10HD skeletons or zombies raised by this oil. It follows the raise dead spell but doesnt mention if it counts against any other limit of controlling undead, so probably not. also you should ask the DM if special stuff like feats or class features still aply to them.
    Just imagine, adventurers gunning for a wizard and get a ragging barbarian with something that creates an AMF in the "necromancer's" cave! Its like a balm to my heart.

Commander’s Ring and Purple Dragon Ring: They aren pairs, so to speak, but they can be worn on the same hand and count as only one ring! that and both have nice abilities.

Silent portal disk: Those sneaky bastard should buy a continous version of it. Once per day, if you put it on a portal (door, window etc) it it silences everything when that portal is opened. Say your farawells to the day when rusty door hingnes or chains cuirtains twarted you sneaking around palces you shouldnt!

Spice Jar: Its mostly for roleplayers. it conjures spice for you for a round, unless you used it to make foods or drinks with it. whats not to love on it? what? thats not enough? i guess i should mention it also makes foods or drinks made with it enchanted with purify food or drink as well as a +4 resistance against dieses.
    Last edited by TheCount; 2019-08-25 at 11:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

From the Rokugan Campaign Setting, the feat Versatile. Pick two skills. They are class skills. This one feat solves so many cross-class skill prereqs.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    From the Rokugan Campaign Setting, the feat Versatile. Pick two skills. They are class skills. This one feat solves so many cross-class skill prereqs.
    I thought Rokugan Campaign Setting isnt first party? i mean, there WAS a debate about the Naga Race for players from the same book in this very thread.....

Edit #1: Essentia Helm from MIC: it fills an essentia receptable for a turn with 1 charge and has 3 charges.
    Hello Mignith augmentation and other essentia feats!
    Last edited by TheCount; 2019-08-25 at 02:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I thought Rokugan Campaign Setting isnt first party?
    Skill Knowledge (UA) is intended for use with an alternate skill system, but works fine with the default one. Two class skills, or one cross-class skill, become permanently class skills for you.
    Optimization Trophies

13. - Top - End - #343
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Is ambush drake the only race that has SR scale with levels in other classes?
    Not certain about scaling, since one of the previous posts mentioned that was incorrect, but the Pixie also has SR 16. It doesn't scale, per it's Savage Species writeup. They would be a great character race if they didn't have such horrible Hit Points.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Not certain about scaling, since one of the previous posts mentioned that was incorrect, but the Pixie also has SR 16. It doesn't scale, per it's Savage Species writeup. They would be a great character race if they didn't have such horrible Hit Points.
    Pixie SR scales. It's 15 + class levels. Says so in the Monster Manual.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-08-28 at 07:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Pixie SR scales. It's 15 + class levels. Says so in the Monster Manual.
    If you need more, kill an aleax.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Bariaur gets HD-scaling SR for just +1 LA with no RHD. Pretty sweet.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Bariaur gets HD-scaling SR for just +1 LA with no RHD. Pretty sweet.
    Yep, they are a pretty decent LA +1 race.

Not to be confused with Exalted Bariaurs (BoED) who come with 3 RHD and +2 LA.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Spirit Sense, the feat from Heroes of Horror. Has it been mentioned yet? It lets you see and communicate with the spirit of a creature that died within the last few minutes. It doesn't give you any special ability to command them or speak their language (and they aren't creatures so can't be targeted).

Not a super useful feat in most circumstances, but still really cool that it's just something your character can do, there's no checks to turn it on or conditions.

Depending on how it's handled, can replace Speak with Dead if you're quick. Peripherally, it'd also tip you off if they didn't have a soul when you would otherwise expect them to - so you could check if they were undead or were carrying Thinaun, etc.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm sure there's a few ways to have your Dodge feat apply to more than one opponent?
    Personally I use Dexterous Dodge (It's a Homebrew I picked up on one of the Wiki's) It makes you dexterity 2 points higher for armor class purposes only. Also it counts as the dodge feat for all prerequisite purposes.
    Just as minor as the original feat but not as limited in use.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Pixie in the Playground

Other skill related feats:
    Able Learner ( Races of Destiny, p. 150)
    Prerequisite: Human, Changeling or doppelganger,
    Benefit: All skill ranks cost 1 skill point for you to purchase, even if the skill is cross-class for you. The maximum number of ranks you can purchase in a cross-class skill remains the same. This feat does not affect the skill point cost to learn a language or to gain literacy (for a barbarian or other illiterate character).
    Special: This feat may only be taken at 1st level.

Jack of All Trades ( Complete Adventurer, p. 110)
    Prerequisite: INT 13
    Benefit: You can use any skill as if you had 1/2 rank in that skill. This benefit allows you to attempt checks with skills that normally don't allow untrained skill checks (such as Decipher Script and Knowledge). If a skill doesn't allow skill checks (such as Speak Language), this feat has no effect. Without this feat, you can't attempt some skill checks (Decipher Script, Disable Device, Handle Animal, Knowledge, Open Lock, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Tumble, and Use Magic Device) unless you have ranks in the skill.

And, while I'm thinking of it, my personal favorite obscure feat: (except I think it's a Homebrew)
    Extreme Speed [Fighter, Assassin]
    Prerequisite: Dex 20, BAB 5
    Benefit: Double your base movement speed for all forms of travel (walking, swimming, flying etc.) This stacks with the run feat while running. This feat affects each form of travel only once (eg. fly speed is based off of land speed most of the time, the feat only affect the base of the flying speed directly the base land speed for it is still calculated off of your normal base land speed.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 2019-08-29 at 07:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Blooded One template is +1 LA for +2 NA,+2 str, +4 con, and free Combat Reflexes feat. Potentially useful to feat starved meleers.

Edit: Although, come to think of it, half minotaur gives a racial bonus feat that can just be chaos shuffled. Never mind.
    Last edited by Elves; 2019-09-19 at 01:26 PM.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

They're not super-duper obscure compared to some of the stuff mentioned here, but I do have a strong fondness for killoren (Races of the Wild).

ECL 0, fey type, no stat penalties, and all three of their possible "aspects" (which you can change every day if desired) are potentially really useful.

One gives you a cool smite ability usable on "unnatural" creatures (aberrations, humanoids, oozes, constructs, outsiders, and undead, which is a pretty wide list!), and it works 1/hr (max of your CHA mod per day, but if you care about smiting, you'll have a few points of CHA). A feat turns the smite into save-or-be-dazed, which is awesome, and the smite is usable on a ranged attack out of the box.

One gives you about a million little +2s to "hunter-type" skills (Hide/MS/Spot/Listen) and also a very rare +2 racial bonus to initiative. The feat that boosts this aspect isn't my favorite, but the package is useful early on. (Yeah, technically an uurhoon illumian gets that and more, but whatever.)

The last aspect gives you a racial bonus on K: Nature checks equal to your HD, so that's my favorite aspect to use relatively late in the character's career (I don't think there are too many other LA 0 races that give anywhere near this big a bonus for basically zero investment!). The feat that boosts this one is a great "plotfinder" option: spend 10 minutes meditating on a question, then make a Knowledge check with a +4 insight bonus and the ability to gain info untrained. No daily use limit other than the time investment.

Add in qualifying for fey-specific stuff like Charming the Arrow, and you end up with some potentially very interesting stuff.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as obscure races go, I'm a little surprised I don't see Vanara brought up more. -2 Str, +2 Int, +2 Wis, a climb speed and a few other decent skill bonuses is pretty decent for a +0 race. Plus, you get to play a monkey person.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Alas, vanaras got nerfed in Dragon mag to be literally nothing.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    As far as obscure races go, I'm a little surprised I don't see Vanara brought up more. -2 Str, +2 Int, +2 Wis, a climb speed and a few other decent skill bonuses is pretty decent for a +0 race. Plus, you get to play a monkey person.
    It was changed to have no ability adjustments in its 3.5 update, which makes it a lot less appealing.

26. - Top - End - #356

Lizardfolk

Shoutout to a not very often used monster, Fiend Folio's Ryukanyr.
    It's got a lot of defensive abilities, and it's full attack isn't shabby, but the 7 HD on a CR 9 Aberation is weirdly low.
    Still, one of my favorite monsters.
    The fact that it can advance in HD seemingly infinitely is just a bonus.
    Last edited by PraxisVetli; 2019-09-14 at 05:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

When it comes to obscure PrCs, I recently came across the Mole, from Dragon Magazine #310. It's not a very powerful PrC, but it's extremely easy to qualify for (allowing entry as early as after lvl 3), progresses sneak attacks, only has 5 levels, and comes with some fun abilities. At its capstone, you get a respectable burrow speed that includes stone and minerals. Really, making trenches in the span of seconds is great, and it pairs really well conceptually with the Mineral Warrior template, and I would love to play something that's thematically a dwarf earth genasi, or just blessed by the dwarven gods.

For favorite obscure Feats, I love the Heretic of the Faith feat from Power of Faerūn. It's basically a license for very liberal interpretations of established faiths, whether we're talking about an actual Paladin of Bane or a truly greedy scoundrel of Waukeen. A lot of fun things are possible with it. For those with a more optimizing bent, it also allows you to pick a non-standard domain fitting your heresy.
    Last edited by Luckmann; 2019-09-19 at 01:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoa! The Mole is basically what Stonelord should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Stonelord
    Hey, it's not fantastic, but that's actually a really thematically fitting continuation of Mole. Something like an Earth Dwarf w/ Mineral Warrior, going Rogue 1/Dwarf Dirty Fighter 3 -> Mole 2 -> Stonelord 1 -> Mole X/Stonelord X, could be fantastically fun.

30. - Top - End - #360

I get the sense that a lot of people like the idea of the Mothercyst feat, but think it's hard to actually use. It's probably my favourite feat/line of spells in the whole of 3.5, so I've schemed a lot about how to make it useful. Although it's clearly easier to use as a DM, creative use on either side of the screen can transform it from suboptimal flavourful overkill into something beautiful and campaign ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
    For favorite obscure Feats, I love the Heretic of the Faith feat from Power of Faerūn. It's basically a license for very liberal interpretations of established faiths, whether we're talking about an actual Paladin of Bane or a truly greedy scoundrel of Waukeen. A lot of fun things are possible with it. For those with a more optimizing bent, it also allows you to pick a non-standard domain fitting your heresy.
    Agreed. It's a very flavourful and also pretty useful feat.
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2019-09-20 at 05:48 PM.
    Throw the dice high.