New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    And yes it's the fang of Lolth.
    Did Dread Fang of Lolth (DotU) supersede Fang of Lolth (S&S)? They look like totally different classes. They also have conflicting alignment requirements, so would be hard to take levels in both...

In regards to some classes already mentioned, I often get Witchborn Binder, Fiendbinder, Nar Demonbinder and Demonbinder all mixed up in my head as to which is which.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    PrC: Battle Howler of Gruumsh (Dragon #311). I adore this PrC, just haven't had a chance to use it in actual play.
    All the bard prestige classes in this issue are great. Memory smith, worldspeaker, green whisperer, and mourner are the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    In regards to some classes already mentioned, I often get Witchborn Binder, Fiendbinder, Nar Demonbinder and Demonbinder all mixed up in my head as to which is which.
    Don't forget fiend binder (two words)!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    All the bard prestige classes in this issue are great. Memory smith, worldspeaker, green whisperer, and mourner are the other ones.

Don't forget fiend binder (two words)!
    Where's fiend binder from? dragon magazine?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Only really semi-obscure, but I was recently reminded of how cool Dragoncraft items are (Draconomicon). Armour gets lighter by category and gives energy resist, weapons deal a little non-magical elemental damage, dragonblood potions can give non-magical spell-like abilities.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Where's fiend binder from? dragon magazine?
    Yeah, quick search looks like Dragon 292...

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Raging Flame: it's a level 1 spell, but it can do SO MUCH DAMAGE. Non-magical fire does double damage, and magical fire does +1 damage per die. This thing stacks up so fast. I love it. As a transmuter, it's quicken-bait when my party has flaming weapons, or really any other fire damage.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Prestige Class: Eldritch Master from Dragon Magazine 280. It does not progress spell casting, but gives you a spell slot one level higher than you can currently cast at level 3, 6, and 9. It also adds another spell list to yours at level 4 and 8. Bonus spells known and extra metamagic feats.

Feat: Arcane Manipulation from Lost Empires of Faerun. It lets you break up a spell slot into a number of lower level spell slots when you prepare spells. It does not stat this slots count as bonus spells from high ability scores, so if you convert 3 level 9 spells to 27 level one spells, you can end up with 60 level 1 spell slots with a ring of wizardry. Very useful for a shadowcraft mage. Also neat to mix with Sublime chord, arcane preparation, and the above Prestige class to get 1-3 level spell slots and spells known on the sublime chord.

Base class: The Pugilist alternative fighter from Dragon #310 not only picks up unarmed strike and endurance as bonus feats, but has an ability called Iron Jaw he can take in place of a fighter feat. It reduces nonlethal damage by your Con score, very funny on a regenerater like a War troll.

Magic Item. The Ring of Meditation in dragon #317 cuts your spell preparation time in half for 3,750 gp.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bphill561 View Post
    Prestige Class: Eldritch Master from Dragon Magazine 280. It does not progress spell casting, but gives you a spell slot one level higher than you can currently cast at level 3, 6, and 9. It also adds another spell list to yours at level 4 and 8. Bonus spells known and extra metamagic feats.
    This thing is bizarre! Do I interpret this correctly that it gives you bonus spells known of levels 0-4, twice?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

The 3.0 Eunuch Warlock works very similarly, though the Dragon 318 update made it into a more conventional casting PrC.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Prestige Class: Vigilant Sentinel of Aeranel, from Magic of Eberron. It seems like a fairly straightforward spymaster-style social rogue prestige class and... wait a minute, does thought theft let you read people's thoughts with no save with a successful Sense Motive check? Why yes, yes it does...

Feat: Mark of Stars, from Dragonmarked. I've harped on how good this is before, but holy crap, it's really really good. You're never flat-footed and completely immune to surprise, and get a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex saves. That's literally 9th-level spell good; it's always-on nonmagical foresight in feat form. It requires a Siberys dragonmark, which in turn requires two or three levels of Heir of Siberys, but Siberys marks are also really good (true creation, mind blank, greater teleport, greater prying eyes, mass heal, discern location... there are very few builds where adding one of these as an SLA a couple of times a day won't be good) and the prestige class itself isn't bad (easy to qualify for, requires one feat to get in but gives you another right back, plus provides either 2/3 spellcasting progression or two additional unrestricted bonus feats).

Spell: Investiture of the Orthon from Fiendish Codex II. All of the investiture spells are fascinating, but this is the one that always sticks with me. A retributive sonic shield is pretty cool; an immediate action teleportation disruptor is even cooler. Not a spell I've ever cast in an actual game, but cool nonetheless.

Item: Bleh I don't know, item shopping is literally my least favorite part of D&D and I don't really pay as much attention to the items sections of the various sourcebooks.

Race: I'm going to cheat and instead go with a template. Vecna-blooded, from the god-blooded section of MMV, is a +1 acquired template with really clear instructions on how to acquire it (which is sadly a rarity) that erases you from history. It also has some other cool aspects, most notably making you flat-out immune to most divination magic, but... it erases you from history. That is easily one of the coolest abilities in all of D&D.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Off the top of my head...

PrC: Charlatan from Dragon Mag 335. It’s a class that makes you really good at pretending to cast spells. It’s really hilarious. You also get (ex) ways to emulate spells like Burning Hands, Glitterdust, Obscuring Mist, and Pyrotechnics. You get some weird abilities to convince people of how rad you are, etc. etc. But the best part of the class is when you get access to Lesser and Greater Mind Trick. Spells like Command, Scare, Bestow Curse, Suggestion you can “cast” on enemies with a Bluff check, and the only save they get is a Sense Motive check.

Feat: Seconding Hardened Criminal. That feat is a necessity for Charlatan and Truenamer builds alike.

Race: Both of my picks are from Stormwrack. Hadozee are flying squirrel ape-men with Dodge as a bonus feat (no, really, check page 151) with a penchant for piracy. What absolute lads.
    Also Darfellan. They’re not particularly shiny but I feel like I should see more of them. They’re orca-folk with a nice swim speed of 40ft and blindsense that only works in water. Also I may be wrong but I think they’re the only player race with a bite attack that isn’t something cherry picked out of a monster manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    Also from the same book the True Necromancer just because you get 14th Levels of a Prestive class, the path is clear.
    True Necromancer isn’t obscure. In fact, it’s quite infamous for being terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I really like Crimson Scourge PrC from Cityscape.
    It has a lot of flavour, good chassis and good class features, the perfect PrC for your average street thug.

As for spells, Tyche's Touch from Lost Empires of Faerun, a buff to saves with (up to) 24 hours duration as a 2nd level spell, what's not to love.
    Last edited by noce; 2019-07-17 at 12:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

PrC:
    Incantifier from Dragon #339. At level one you get no aging penalties, no maximum age, no need to eat, drink or sleep, SR 20 + Incantifier level, and it advances casting. The downside is that you can only be healed by absorbing spells or SLAs with your SR, which heals 1d4 hp per spell level. At level three you've lost a caster level, but now you also have a bonus metamagic feat, and instead of healing yourself, you can choose to get back a spell slot of a level up to the spell or SLA which failed to overcome your SR, and you can heal yourself by draining single-use or charged magic items. In other words, if you have a warlock in your party, you have free out-of-combat healing, and you can get back all of your spells. Requires 14 ranks in some skills, and 6th-level arcane spells, so you can enter at level 12, or 11 with a bit of work.

Item:
    The dream keys from Dragon #330. Honestly, I like all of the Cerebrosis stuff, but the dream keys are all gloves which let you cast Cerebrotic spells a few per day, at the cost of some hp and penalties, depending on which you use. You get them by making a DC 21 Knowledge (the planes) check, then burning incense, and having disturbing dreams. The cost of the incense ranges from about 2k-5k, which is extremely cheap for the benefits.

Spells:
    Skillful Moment from Dragon #350 is a 1st-level spell that lets you take 20 on a skill check in the next round as a standard action.

Research Aid from Dragon #342 is a 4th-level spell you get from the Initiate of Boccob feat. It takes an hour to cast, but it lasts days/level, and it halves the time to cast Identify or Legends Lore, the time to research a new spell, and the time to craft a magic item, and gives you a +5 circumstance bonus to Spellcraft for researching new spells. If you don't wanna take the feat, get it on an item.

Consume the Parasite from Dragon #343 is a 3rd-level spell that you can get from the Wormbound feat. Unlike all the other spells granted by the feat,
    Consume the Parasite has the worm as a material component, rather than as the focus, (because it's consumed by the spell), meaning that if you can get it on an item, you don't need to ever have hosted a creepy worm parasite. The spell itself is a swift action to cast, and it gives +4 enhancement to Strength and Dexterity, +2 CL, and +2 DC to all your spellsfor rounds/level.

In case it wasn't clear, I recently went on a Dragon Mag binge.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Haven’t seen this mentioned but maybe I missed it.

Item: Spinning Sword from Secrets of Sarlona. Exotic weapon that works essentially like a Spiked Chain (may not be able to trip though) but is 1-handed. Also you can wear it as a belt, which is cool.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Race/Class: Ambush Drake. Large size, fly speed, SR, dragon type, and NO LEVEL ADJUSTMENT. Essentially a 7-class 7-RHD "Dragon" class. Downside is favored class is Scout for some reason, and you only have 13 non-ambush-drake levels left to work with.
    Wow! This is a good find! It seems that it’s SR actually increases with class levels in scout! Is that so? Is it an ambush drake thing or have I been misunderstanding 3.5 monster SR all this time? I thought that SR increases only applied to racial HD or age category for dragons.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2019-07-17 at 04:45 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Race/Class: Ambush Drake. Large size, fly speed, SR, dragon type, and NO LEVEL ADJUSTMENT. Essentially a 7-class 7-RHD "Dragon" class. Downside is favored class is Scout for some reason, and you only have 13 non-ambush-drake levels left to work with.
    This didn't sound right so I looked it up: Ambush Drakes are in the Monster Manual III:

• They aren't Large size, they're Medium
    • While they do have a Fly speed, it's only 30' (poor) - actually less than their land speed - so a far cry from the speeds true dragons get
    • SR starts at 16 which isn't impressive on a 7HD, CR5 creature, and the monster entry doesn't say anything about SR increasing with any kind of Hit Dice (or at all)
    • They actually have LA —, which means they're not playable - not LA +0
    • Their Advancement is by Hit Die, not by character class, and so they don't have a favoured class at all.

Basically I think you've made a number of mistakes and using only a web article on a specific, exceptional NPC rather than the actual monster entry hasn't helped you (though even then, some stuff like the size issue made me scratch my head).

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

My honest opinion is that the Ambush Drake "class" in the article was to allow DMs to use young/immature Ambush Drakes as encounters, and have their abilities and CR listed - but the article certainly doesn't make that clear.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I missed the "template class" at the end of the article (whatever that is), but yes, even the introductory text makes it clear it's about ways to create different monsters.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Basically I think you've made a number of mistakes and using only a web article on a specific, exceptional NPC rather than the actual monster entry hasn't helped you (though even then, some stuff like the size issue made me scratch my head).
    My apologies. I had a brain fart on the size. They are indeed medium-sized, both in MMIII and the web article. As penance, please consider the Hornhead Saurial from the Serpent Kingdoms Web Enhancement, which is the only large-sized humanoid that hasn't been errata'd into a different creature type. 2 RHD and LA +2, so not exactly PC-friendly, but valid for alter self shenanigans. The small-sized Flyer (50' average Fly speed) might also be useful for alter self.

As far as whether the Ambush Drake was intended for PCs... from what I can tell in the archives, D&D Fight Club was intended to give the PCs opponents (and sometimes allies) that the DM could drop in easily into an "Arena Fight" or any other plausible encounter. So probably NPC-only. However, the Template Class used with the Ambush Drake was introduced specifically for PC use with the "Savage Progression" articles.

The odd part is the designer changed the rules for the Ambush Drake Template Class. As per the Ver'Shan article: "An ambush drake must take all levels of this class before it can take levels in any other class." This contradicts the rules from the Savage Progression article: "Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession." This makes the Ambush Drake Template Class to be more similar to the Monster Class levels from Savage Species.

Anyway, this is not really evidence on one side or the other, but the Ambush Drake Template Class is usually considered legal for Iron Chef, and we've had at least one build that used it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Is ambush drake the only race that has SR scale with levels in other classes?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Spell: Flame sands, from here. You've heard of orb of fire? How about an orb of fire that you can re-cast for free every turn for the rest of the combat?

EDIT: For more detail, it's of course not quite orb of fire, since it has a Fortitude save for half damage and can't daze them. But you can do it once a turn for 1 round/level, and subsequent uses are only a move action (based on the general rule for directing and redirecting spells). It also has the added bonuses of being Medium range rather than Close, having no somatic components, breaking any exposed glass objects (such as potions) on the target's person, and gaining a small AoE if you target an area of water. Plus, it's a druid spell too! All in all, seriously potent.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2019-07-17 at 07:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Spell: Flame sands, from here. You've heard of orb of fire? How about an orb of fire that you can re-cast for free every turn for the rest of the combat?
    Holy crap! Yet another goody to add to my Archivist’s wishlist.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

wow, your archivist gets spells from dragon magazine?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

EDIT: For more detail, it's of course not quite orb of fire, since it has a Fortitude save for half damage and can't daze them. But you can do it once a turn for 1 round/level, and subsequent uses are only a move action (based on the general rule for directing and redirecting spells). It also has the added bonuses of being Medium range rather than Close, having no somatic components, breaking any exposed glass objects (such as potions) on the target's person, and gaining a small AoE if you target an area of water. All in all, a seriously potent spell.
    It's also one of the rare Evocation damaging spells that is SR: No. Evokers and Warmages everywhere thank you for bringing this to their attention!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Is ambush drake the only race that has SR scale with levels in other classes?
    Karsites from Tome of Magic also have this feature.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

This thing is bizarre! Do I interpret this correctly that it gives you bonus spells known of levels 0-4, twice?
    I assumed you got a second round of low level bonus spells known because you pick up more spells lists to choose spells from as you go.

I played a Bard 4/Cleric 1/Eldritch Master 5/Sublime Chord 10.

Something like Bard 1/Cleric 1/Wizard 1/Human Paragon 2/ Eldritch Master 2/ Dweomerkeeper 1/ Eldritch Master 2/ Sublime Chord 1/ Dweomerkeeper 9 would be pretty funny. With the previously mentioned Arcane Manipulation plus Arcane Preparation, you could break a level 6 sublime chord slot into a 1, 2, and 3 allowing you to apply eldritch master bonus spells known to sublime chord at those levels.

Only really semi-obscure, but I was recently reminded of how cool Dragoncraft items are (Draconomicon). Armour gets lighter by category and gives energy resist, weapons deal a little non-magical elemental damage, dragonblood potions can give non-magical spell-like abilities.
    Didn't they also have non-magical potions that worked in antimagic fields made from dragon blood? One of them gave you polymorph.

My apologies. I had a brain fart on the size. They are indeed medium-sized, both in MMIII and the web article. As penance, please consider the Hornhead Saurial from the Serpent Kingdoms Web Enhancement, which is the only large-sized humanoid that hasn't been errata'd into a different creature type. 2 RHD and LA +2, so not exactly PC-friendly, but valid for alter self shenanigans. The small-sized Flyer (50' average Fly speed) might also be useful for alter self.
    [/URL] that used it.
    Although they are in dragon Magazine, there are the Quinametin that are large humanoids in issue #317.

Race: The Brainstealer dragon from Dragon Magazine #337 is a dragon Mind Flayer. It has 7 Racial Dragon HD with a +5 LA compared to the standard Mind Flayer with 8 Racial Aberation HD with a +7 LA. Same size, same abilities with a lower ECL. You can even keep it at +5 LA pushing to the very young category with 10HD for large size for better eating. Not bad if you can still get clearance for Illithaid savant entry.

Spell: Miracle. Okay this is SRD and well known. But the last ability listed under the non-xp options does not get listed much.
    Have any effect whose power level is in line with the above effects.
    Taking a look at the Tome of Magic, Truenamer abilites have an associated level attached to them and under the true name magic rule section, it says the effective spell level of an utterance is equal to its utterance level for purposes of interaction with other spells. Hmm works like a spell for interactions, has a level, equivalent to spells, and every power is 7th level and under. Looks like you could copy an effect with a miracle. Shadowmagic mysteries in the same book are similar. But there are some unique powers like "Rebuild Item" that restores a magic item destroyed in the previous round. Now if you can just figure out how to ocular, chain spell the miracle with a shadowcraft mage to restore Disjunction problems.

Flood of Shadows in the same book adds empower to all shadow descriptor spells cast in the area. Nice add to the shadow plane free maximize spell for your shadowcraft mage.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    drow does as well
    Last edited by Venger; 2019-07-17 at 08:48 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    drow does as well
    Speaking of obscure stuff, another race that I only (re)discovered recently - Bariaur (PH) also have scaling SR (11 + class levels): they are surprisingly decent for a LA +1 race. Not to be confused with Exalted Bariaurs from BoED.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Spell: Miracle. Okay this is SRD and well known. But the last ability listed under the non-xp options does not get listed much. Taking a look at the Tome of Magic, Truenamer abilites have an associated level attached to them and under the true name magic rule section, it says the effective spell level of an utterance is equal to its utterance level for purposes of interaction with other spells. Hmm works like a spell for interactions, has a level, equivalent to spells, and every power is 7th level and under. Looks like you could copy an effect with a miracle. Shadowmagic mysteries in the same book are similar. But there are some unique powers like "Rebuild Item" that restores a magic item destroyed in the previous round. Now if you can just figure out how to ocular, chain spell the miracle with a shadowcraft mage to restore Disjunction problems.

Flood of Shadows in the same book adds empower to all shadow descriptor spells cast in the area. Nice add to the shadow plane free maximize spell for your shadowcraft mage.
    To take this a step further.... Isn't truenaming 'safe' to do in antimagic fields? So miracle can duplicate any truenaming effect for within antimagic fields?
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2019-07-17 at 11:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

utterances are slas and thus do not work in an amf

Iron Chef Medals!