The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 413
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Prestige class: Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu. Have you seen that 10th level ability? It lets you turn an illusion into reality. That's free magic items with Nystul's magic aura right there. Plus it adds a bunch of illusion spells to your spell list, or, if you're a warlock, even better, gives them to you as SLAs, which means no material components for simulacrum and ice assassin.
    I've never seen that class before, but it looks so cool. It may lose three caster levels, but that's not too big a deal for warlocks (especially with the ruling that practiced spellcaster boosts blast damage). But man, these are some nice class features. With Naberius, that's infinite charges on all staffs as early as level 12. Christ.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    You've done it now, Venger. Our round 100's going to be Ballisteer now.
    "Infused Shot (Su): The ballisteer's ammo becomes infused with psionic energy as it is used in a ranged attack. His ranged attacks now do additional energy damage equal to that of the ammo used. For example, a thrown dagger now does 1d4 points of damage + 1d4 points of psionic energy damage + any other bonuses. Infused shots can be enhanced with energy shot or explosive shot."

    Somebody's going to just straight ignore the entire rest of the class and bring in a Ballisteer + Hulking Hurler to try to optimize this.

    (Not even that hard to make it 3.5 compatible, just.. completely disregard any reference to 'psionic attack and defense modes' and update Psionic Sidestep to 'must maintain Psionic Focus', assuming that wasn't already done in some other material somewhere.)
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2019-07-19 at 03:49 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2018

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    So you're saying the version you quoted was not actually from a D&D book but rather from another totally separate d20 system book.
    No, Iím not saying that. Youíre saying that. I donít know why youíre saying that. Why are you saying that?

    Yíknow what. You didnít even say that before.

    Someone else, on the first page of this thread, mentioned the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Item: The Dastana and Chahar-Aina from Oriental Adventures. An additional +1 stacking armor bonus each for bargain-bin prices. Slap on masterwork to reduce the penalty and you've got an item any character with light armor can use.
    Did you question the legality of Oriental Adventures then?

    Oriental Adventures is literally 3.0 legal which is why it had an update to bring some of it into 3.5.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Except it's even further from canon than that, because those were at least 1st party supplements for alternative systems, whereas Rokugan Campaign Setting isn't even from Wizards of the Coast
    The book I cited was literally grandfathered into 3.5 because it is 3.0 material.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    it's a piece of content that already has an official version that should supersede
    ó except theyíre not the same entry and not the same content and that was pointed out in the initial post.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    "Infused Shot (Su): The ballisteer's ammo becomes infused with psionic energy as it is used in a ranged attack. His ranged attacks now do additional energy damage equal to that of the ammo used. For example, a thrown dagger now does 1d4 points of damage + 1d4 points of psionic energy damage + any other bonuses. Infused shots can be enhanced with energy shot or explosive shot."

    Somebody's going to just straight ignore the entire rest of the class and bring in a Ballisteer + Hulking Hurler to try to optimize this.

    (Not even that hard to make it 3.5 compatible, just.. completely disregard any reference to 'psionic attack and defense modes' and update Psionic Sidestep to 'must maintain Psionic Focus', assuming that wasn't already done in some other material somewhere.)
    Hurling Hurler?

    What about monk unarmed strike with throwing shenanigans? If you include dragon magazine, Hello beast strike feat.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Venger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    I made a ballisteer once. It works on a human. Death attacks from a mile away!

    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...0&postcount=42
    I probably said this at the actual time, but that build is a thing of beauty. Makes spoons mcgee look like a wimp.

    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    "Infused Shot (Su): The ballisteer's ammo becomes infused with psionic energy as it is used in a ranged attack. His ranged attacks now do additional energy damage equal to that of the ammo used. For example, a thrown dagger now does 1d4 points of damage + 1d4 points of psionic energy damage + any other bonuses. Infused shots can be enhanced with energy shot or explosive shot."

    Somebody's going to just straight ignore the entire rest of the class and bring in a Ballisteer + Hulking Hurler to try to optimize this.

    (Not even that hard to make it 3.5 compatible, just.. completely disregard any reference to 'psionic attack and defense modes' and update Psionic Sidestep to 'must maintain Psionic Focus', assuming that wasn't already done in some other material somewhere.)
    (crumples up my hulking hurler stub and throws it in the trash)
    you guys are killing me here.
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Prestige class: Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu. Have you seen that 10th level ability? It lets you turn an illusion into reality. That's free magic items with Nystul's magic aura right there.
    Just an item that genuinely has those magical auras, but no other effect, surely?

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Viscount's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    So what page of OA is that Naga found in? When I looked in mine all I saw were the Shinomen Nagas.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meditation View Post
    No, Iím not saying that. Youíre saying that. I donít know why youíre saying that. Why are you saying that?

    Yíknow what. You didnít even say that before.

    Someone else, on the first page of this thread, mentioned the following:



    Did you question the legality of Oriental Adventures then?

    Oriental Adventures is literally 3.0 legal which is why it had an update to bring some of it into 3.5.



    The book I cited was literally grandfathered into 3.5 because it is 3.0 material.



    ó except theyíre not the same entry and not the same content and that was pointed out in the initial post.
    I think you may be confusing the Rokugan Campaign Setting with OA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground
     
    tyckspoon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Hurling Hurler?

    What about monk unarmed strike with throwing shenanigans? If you include dragon magazine, Hello beast strike feat.
    Hulking Hurler gets bigger damage dice than anything with sufficient optimization, but that could be entertaining along with the incorporeal/ethereal/phasing shot abilities if you go with the 'you throw your entire body' interpretation.

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meditation View Post
    No, Iím not saying that. Youíre saying that. I donít know why youíre saying that. Why are you saying that?.
    You literally cited L5R d20.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meditation
    . There are two mechanically and editorially different suites of game assets called Naga in Oriental Adventures (L5R d20)
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 2019-07-19 at 05:41 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Hurling Hurler?

    What about monk unarmed strike with throwing shenanigans?
    That sort of shenanigans where monk is treated as weapon? Like adding Crystal of Adamant Weaponry could grant a monk hardness value.
    a typical Dark Wizard hunter would die, on average, eight and a half times along the way to becoming Ďparanoidí.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Talaire is an interesting race made of 6 houses, each with its own psi like ability. They're found in Complete Psionic right after Synad, and I didn't see them the first time around because instead of being laid out like a normal race they're interlaced with the fluff and long history.
    Isn't this just a human but they choose your bonus feat for you? The fluff is good (I plan to make use of it in a future game), but I could have sworn that was it.

    Sorry if this discussion has already been had, I can't read the whole thread ATM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing


  13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Viscount's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Isn't this just a human but they choose your bonus feat for you? The fluff is good (I plan to make use of it in a future game), but I could have sworn that was it.

    Sorry if this discussion has already been had, I can't read the whole thread ATM.
    I had initially thought that, but the way they set them up is misleading. For reasons I cannot fathom they label the feat as "Wild Talent ([house])" but the benefit instead of the normal 2 pp is that the Talaire gains 1 pp and a psi-like-ability once per day (psionic minor creation, burst, psionic charm, control object, precognition, or vigor, depending on house). To the best of my knowledge this is not an ability you can mimic with a feat.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Speaking of online only classes, here's a list I once made. AFAIK, It's complete.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    The Guide to free D&D has most (all?) links to online materials (or at least, the old links before they were archived), including web-article only materials.

    Hope that's useful.

    If I find myself at a loose end, I'll see if I can dig up active links for the online only PrCs.

    [edit]

    ===================

    3.0:a


    ===================

    3.5:


    ===================

    If I've missed any, messed anything up, or you can find the ones marked (?), please let me know.

    Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Speaking of online only classes, here's a list I once made. AFAIK, It's complete.
    Unless thereís a source that Iím not aware of, this is missing Psychic Rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Venger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    wow, what a great post. I've heard of like six of those. time to read
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Question Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Unless thereís a source that Iím not aware of, this is missing Psychic Rogue.
    Is that a base class, or a PrC?

    Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground
     
    WhamBamSam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Isn't this just a human but they choose your bonus feat for you? The fluff is good (I plan to make use of it in a future game), but I could have sworn that was it.

    Sorry if this discussion has already been had, I can't read the whole thread ATM.
    There's also a sidebar that I don't think has been mentioned yet about discovering your Talaire heritage later on in life, in which case you can trade away any feat you like (say your otherwise not very useful Endurance feat as a Ranger) for your Talaire Wild Talent.

    Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

    Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

    Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

    Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

    Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

    Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

    Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

    The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

    Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

    Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Is that a base class, or a PrC?
    Base class:

    http://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../psm/20040723bhttp://archive.wizards.com/default.a.../psm/20040723b

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    I had initially thought that, but the way they set them up is misleading. For reasons I cannot fathom they label the feat as "Wild Talent ([house])" but the benefit instead of the normal 2 pp is that the Talaire gains 1 pp and a psi-like-ability once per day (psionic minor creation, burst, psionic charm, control object, precognition, or vigor, depending on house). To the best of my knowledge this is not an ability you can mimic with a feat.
    Huh. Weird. But looking at House Adon (the one freely available online for some reason) backs up your point. For some reason my brain just went "oh they must have meant Hidden Talent" and then skipped over the once-per-day line. Which also makes them weaker than a human who took Hidden Talent, weirdly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing


  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Is that a base class, or a PrC?
    Oh woops I didnít read the name of the thread that post was in

    Edit: Holy cow! Iíd never heard of Crystal Master and itís actually really neat.

    Also I noticed that the Subverted Psion is a HoH Part I article but I canít find any of the other parts :/
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2019-07-20 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Troacctid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Huh. Weird. But looking at House Adon (the one freely available online for some reason) backs up your point. For some reason my brain just went "oh they must have meant Hidden Talent" and then skipped over the once-per-day line. Which also makes them weaker than a human who took Hidden Talent, weirdly.
    Hidden Talent gives you a power off the psion/wilder list. Talaires get discipline powers. None of the houses' signature powers is available through Hidden Talent IIRC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meditation View Post
    No, Iím not saying that. Youíre saying that. I donít know why youíre saying that. Why are you saying that?

    Yíknow what. You didnít even say that before.

    Someone else, on the first page of this thread, mentioned the following:



    Did you question the legality of Oriental Adventures then?

    Oriental Adventures is literally 3.0 legal which is why it had an update to bring some of it into 3.5.



    The book I cited was literally grandfathered into 3.5 because it is 3.0 material.



    ó except theyíre not the same entry and not the same content and that was pointed out in the initial post.
    Oriental Adventures is a D&D sourcebook published by Wizards of the Coast. It was published during the 3.0 era and later updated to D&D 3.5 in Dragon 318. Rokugan Campaign Setting is a d20 Rokugan sourcebook published by AEG. Totally different book. Since it uses the d20 system, it's compatible with D&D, which puts it in the same league as d20 Modern, d20 Star Wars, and Ponyfinder.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Hidden Talent gives you a power off the psion/wilder list. Talaires get discipline powers. None of the houses' signature powers is available through Hidden Talent IIRC.

    Hidden Talent gives you a power from "any psionic class list" which makes it much more powerful/versatile than if it was only a general psion/wilder power.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Heliomance's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Oriental Adventures is a D&D sourcebook published by Wizards of the Coast. It was published during the 3.0 era and later updated to D&D 3.5 in Dragon 318. Rokugan Campaign Setting is a d20 Rokugan sourcebook published by AEG. Totally different book. Since it uses the d20 system, it's compatible with D&D, which puts it in the same league as d20 Modern, d20 Star Wars, and Ponyfinder.
    But Meditation never mentioned Rokugan Campaign Setting. You're the one that brought that up. Meditation has been talking about Oriental Adventures all along.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

    Avatar by Rain Dragon

    Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Seattle area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Conductivity. I really want to like this feat, it seems very cool, but I think unless you made multiple characters in mind for one to have it, it'd never get used. When hit by an electrical attack, you can shoot an arc of lightning for half the damage you just took at any target within 30 feet. I can see a couple ways a party could use it, or maybe some hijinks if you get it on an advanced shocker lizard familiar, depending on how you interpret the feat's damage to work with a electrical-immune creature. But most of the time, it just won't be useful.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AvatarVecna's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    @Meditation Can I get a page quote for Oriental Adventures where a PC Naga race appears that isn't one of the five Shinomen Naga monsters on pg 172? I can't seem to find it.

    EDIT: It's entirely possible you've already mentioned a page quote at some point in the argument, so my apologies if this is just asking you to repeat yourself.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2019-07-21 at 06:41 AM.
    (WW/Mafia) Mansion Murder Mystery is recruiting!

    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2017

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    But Meditation never mentioned Rokugan Campaign Setting. You're the one that brought that up. Meditation has been talking about Oriental Adventures all along.
    As I quoted above (and Meditation posted originally), he cited L5R d20. L5R includes Rokugan Campaign Setting, I believe.
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    Conductivity. I really want to like this feat, it seems very cool, but I think unless you made multiple characters in mind for one to have it, it'd never get used. When hit by an electrical attack, you can shoot an arc of lightning for half the damage you just took at any target within 30 feet. I can see a couple ways a party could use it, or maybe some hijinks if you get it on an advanced shocker lizard familiar, depending on how you interpret the feat's damage to work with a electrical-immune creature. But most of the time, it just won't be useful.
    There's a whole thread devoted to it: Linky

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Heliomance's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    As I quoted above (and Meditation posted originally), he cited L5R d20. L5R includes Rokugan Campaign Setting, I believe.
    Oriental Adventures was a port of the Rokugan setting to D&D. It is an official D&D supplement, and is also perfectly validly described by the phrase "L5R d20". I was unaware of the existence of a separate L5R d20 system, and it wouldn't surprise me if Meditation was too. But they were only ever referring to Oriental Adventures, that being the only book on the Rokugan setting that is WotC-published and thus first party D&D 3.5.

    EDIT: I stand corrected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meditation View Post
    The Naga. Specifically, the Naga as described in Oriental Adventures: Rokugan Campaign Setting. The Naga are the only large, 0 LA race around in 3x. The complication is that there are two Naga races: one is a monster described in the Oriental Adventures Supplement and updated in Dragon magazine and the other the aforementioned race. The race description explicitly calls out its entry as a PC race, noting that the other entry is too costly for most players, and, since it did not receive any updates to 3.5, it is still RAW-legal in 3.5, though it is explicitly 3.0 material so its acceptance will be table-dependent. The Naga have bloodlines, a suite of sub-racial stats. Several of the bloodlines have LAs; of the ones without, one has bonus stats at the expense of heavy stat penalties and the other two have minor bonuses. Base stats are Con/Wis penalizing Cha.
    You're all right, Meditation did indeed refer to the Rokugan Campaign Setting, which is a different book to Oriental Adventures and is not first party. Any naga described in that book are therefore not official first party content, and the stats in Oriental Adventures, later updated in Dragon, are the only official ones.

    The naga Meditation is referring to are found on page 26 of the Rokugan Campaign Setting, and the three variants that don't have LA are really really good. They absolutely should have LA+1. The one that has LA+1 is worth it, the one that has LA+2 probably isn't, but would be a very good LA+1.
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2019-07-22 at 06:44 AM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

    Avatar by Rain Dragon

    Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Oriental Adventures was a port of the Rokugan setting to D&D. It is an official D&D supplement, and is also perfectly validly described by the phrase "L5R d20". I was unaware of the existence of a separate L5R d20 system, and it wouldn't surprise me if Meditation was too. But they were only ever referring to Oriental Adventures, that being the only book on the Rokugan setting that is WotC-published and thus first party D&D 3.5.

    EDIT: I stand corrected.



    You're all right, Meditation did indeed refer to the Rokugan Campaign Setting, which is a different book to Oriental Adventures and is not first party. Any naga described in that book are therefore not official first party content, and the stats in Oriental Adventures, later updated in Dragon, are the only official ones.

    The naga Meditation is referring to are found on page 26 of the Rokugan Campaign Setting, and the three variants that don't have LA are really really good. They absolutely should have LA+1. The one that has LA+1 is worth it, the one that has LA+2 probably isn't, but would be a very good LA+1.
    I own the book. Theyíre really nice races. I like the Nezumi options too. But itís not first party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •