The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    The text reads weird with that semi-colon, do you gain a draconic feat OR dragontouched; or do you gain a draconic feat, PLUS dragontouched if you didn't have dragonblood before?
    If you do not qualify for a draconic feat, then you gain dragontouched, and only dragontouched.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    If you do not qualify for a draconic feat, then you gain dragontouched, and only dragontouched.
    Well that's probably the intent, as I checked the draconic feats and by the look of it the only thing you can qualify for is Draconic Heritage. All the others have that as a prereque
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Just discovered a "new item" that I was unaware of, mentioned in another thread: Energy Drain armor or shield property (DotF p.23). At will touch-range Enervation, CL 7. A pretty sweet deal at +2 equivalent!

Was this ability ever updated or errata'd in any 3.5 sources?
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2019-07-30 at 05:26 PM.

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

While looking for critfishing options on WOTC, I found these: Cyran Gliding Boots.

Yes, they are a pair of rollerskates.

3 times per day they let you take a 10 foot step instead of a 5 foot step. No, I don't care that at 14,000 gp they're the most expensive set of blades ever to grace an Eberron Skate Park. They give you a +2 to Tumble and Jump checks on solid grounds for better 360s, your argument is invalid.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Illumian from Races of Destiny. One of the abilities you can get is using either Strength or Dex to determine bonus spells. This would probably work best for a CoDzilla build, but personally I've always wanted to do a Muscle Wizard with minimal Int investment and get all my spells from Magical Flex Powers.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Just discovered a "new item" that I was unaware of, mentioned in another thread: Energy Drain armor or shield property (DotF p.23). At will touch-range Enervation, CL 7. A pretty sweet deal at +2 equivalent!

Was this ability ever updated or errata'd in any 3.5 sources?
    Also appears in Ghostwalk, unchanged. The Ghostwalk 3.5 update technically changes it to 1/day at a 10k gp flat pricetag, but that errata is pretty infamous for being totally out of whack in its pricing of stuff. The Glove of the Master Strategist being kept at 3600 gp despite glove of storing going up to 10k in 3.5 is the most famous one.

Other than Energy Drain it also gives a whole bunch of other equivalent abilities the flat costs treatment that makes no sense, e.g. Death Ward from a +2 to 10000 gp, Negative Energy Protection from a +2 to 6000 gp. Death Ward obvs got fixed to a +1 in MIC, and considering how flat cost enhancements are a purposeful rarity I'm pretty sure the same applies to most of the others that re-appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Glove of storing is way overpriced at 10k though. I'm totally on board with dropping the price by 64%. Frankly, I'm even skeptical that the glove of the master strategist is worth it at 3600.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Also appears in Ghostwalk, unchanged. The Ghostwalk 3.5 update technically changes it to 1/day at a 10k gp flat pricetag, but that errata is pretty infamous for being totally out of whack in its pricing of stuff.
    Well, technically it did get hit with the nerf stick then. Bummer.

Saying that someone reading RAW differently than you is "home brewing or house ruling, but that's fine" doesn't make you right, it just makes you seem pompous.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Glove of storing is way overpriced at 10k though. I'm totally on board with dropping the price by 64%. Frankly, I'm even skeptical that the glove of the master strategist is worth it at 3600.
    It is worth 3600 in case it impose true stasis on hidden item. Such stasis where the time is frozen. That would make the glove interesting tactical choice. Stack bunch of enhancement buffs not afraid at 1 round / lvl duration on a weapon and stop the time. So you could fetch the weapon strike with it for couple of rounds and hide it back to preserve duration.
    a typical Dark Wizard hunter would die, on average, eight and a half times along the way to becoming ‘paranoid’.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ayvango View Post
    It is worth 3600 in case it impose true stasis on hidden item. Such stasis where the time is frozen. That would make the glove interesting tactical choice. Stack bunch of enhancement buffs not afraid at 1 round / lvl duration on a weapon and stop the time. So you could fetch the weapon strike with it for couple of rounds and hide it back to preserve duration.
    Spell durations explicitly are not frozen and expire as normal.

11. - Top - End - #221

MindFlayer

That is why I wrote "in case it was true stasis". If the item work like it described a not like it actually ruled it would be a great item.
    a typical Dark Wizard hunter would die, on average, eight and a half times along the way to becoming ‘paranoid’.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

I definitely agree that this makes sense - and have played it as such (not freezing duration). For clarity though, where is it explicitly stated?

13. - Top - End - #223

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by schreier View Post
    I definitely agree that this makes sense - and have played it as such (not freezing duration). For clarity though, where is it explicitly stated?
    In the item description. As specific amendment to general stasis property. The item is in stasis, the time is frozen, but magic still expire. The item would be more consistent without the amendment.
    Last edited by ayvango; 2019-07-31 at 12:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Firbolg in the Playground

Has Mounted Fury been mentioned yet? You can do some goofy stuff with that when you realize that it grants all the effects of your rage. Including stuff like Intimidating Rage and, arguably, bear warrior. (Those two were the basis of my first Iron Chef build to take a medal.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for Round 20, so come join in and be taken as an authority figure whose opinions matter!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Has Mounted Fury been mentioned yet? You can do some goofy stuff with that when you realize that it grants all the effects of your rage. Including stuff like Intimidating Rage and, arguably, bear warrior. (Those two were the basis of my first Iron Chef build to take a medal.)
    That's quite interesting. I wonder if you could work it into a Silverwood Arcanist/Rage Mage build?

In any case, good find - I had missed that one.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

That's quite interesting. I wonder if you could work it into a Silverwood Arcanist/Rage Mage build?

In any case, good find - I had missed that one.
    Does white dragon lineage work with this?

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Does white dragon lineage work with this?
    I don’t know that one offhand. Source or relevant rules text?

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently judging for Round 20, so come join in and be taken as an authority figure whose opinions matter!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I don’t know that one offhand. Source or relevant rules text?
    Your veins run with the savage blood of white dragons, allowing you to whip yourself into a ragelike state.
    Prerequisite: Draconic Heritage (white), sorcerer level 3rd.
    Benefit: As a swift action, you can spend an arcane spell slot to enter a rage similar to that of a barbarian's rage. You gain temporary hit points and resistance to cold equal to 5 x the spell's level. Unlike rage, this state doesn't restrict you from casting spells or performing any other actions, though you can't activate the ability again while it is already active. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Charisma bonus.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Your veins run with the savage blood of white dragons, allowing you to whip yourself into a ragelike state.
    Prerequisite: Draconic Heritage (white), sorcerer level 3rd.
    Benefit: As a swift action, you can spend an arcane spell slot to enter a rage similar to that of a barbarian's rage. You gain temporary hit points and resistance to cold equal to 5 x the spell's level. Unlike rage, this state doesn't restrict you from casting spells or performing any other actions, though you can't activate the ability again while it is already active. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1 + your Charisma bonus.
    Mounted Fury has a prerequisite of a rage class ability. This is a rage similar to, not identical with, the barbarian rage class ability, so by itself I'd say not. On the other hand, if you go by Mounted Fury's benefit rather than its prereqs, it speaks only of "when you rage", which arguably would qualify, i.e. if you had Barbarian 1 somewhere in the build or similar I think you could use Mounted Fury on either the barbarian rage or the White Dragon Lineage rage.

20. - Top - End - #230

ElfPirate

I'd combo Mounted Fury with Wolverine's Rage (probably not a surprise to anyone that's seen some of my builds). Anthropomorphic Wolverines/Badgers, Were-Wolverines/Badgers, and Shifters that take the prestige class Weretouched Master (wolverine) all get access to what is essentially automatic Barbarian Rage upon taking damage. Weretouched Masters are limited to doing it while shifting (unless they're also Werebadgers), but it's a class feature so they don't have to dip Barbarian to qualify for the feat. They can also use those lovely bonus shifter feats to take Shifter Savagery, sharing that with their mount, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.
    Optimization Trophies

I'm forming a team to walk for suicide prevention. Donations or simply spreading the word are both extremely welcome. All donations go to Out of the Darkness, the non-profit organizing the walk.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Race
    Arkamoi (MMV p.184) -- The LA hurts, but they do make for a fun mailman build.

Item
    Cloud Cloak -- Offers a great way to sneak attack.

Belt of the Dread Emperor (BoVD p.114) -- Pricey at 120,000gp, but spell slots are spells slots. A nice gift for an evil Duskblade with Arcane Preparation.

PrC
    Ashworm Dragoon (Sandstorm p.66) -- I love the 4th level ability. Combine it with ways to make your enemy attack your mount instead of you, and it's gold.

Feat
    Echoing Spell (SoX p.134) -- What's better than being able to cast a spell? Casting it and not forgetting it, of course!

Quick Reconnoiter (CAdv p.112) -- This feat just needs more love. I will state, here and now, that this feat should be as important to someone focusing on Spot and Listen as Darkstalker is to someone focusing on Hide and Move Silently.

Spell
    Aberrate (BoVD p.84) -- Combine with Aberration Bane Magic feat and make all of your enemies susceptible. A combo used in my A Bump In The Night entry for Junkyard Wars VII.

Misc
    Necrosis Carnex (MMIV p.104) -- Creatable with an Animate Dead spell, animal intelligence, necrotic touch that heals undead, and a debuff aura (that is, incidentally, untyped). No necromaster should be without these.

Magical Storage Companion Spirit (DMGII p.196) -- Cast a spell and grant all of your friends access to using it, including you getting your spell back! If you think that wands are useful, this is for you.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    I'd combo Mounted Fury with Wolverine's Rage (probably not a surprise to anyone that's seen some of my builds). Anthropomorphic Wolverines/Badgers, Were-Wolverines/Badgers, and Shifters that take the prestige class Weretouched Master (wolverine) all get access to what is essentially automatic Barbarian Rage upon taking damage. Weretouched Masters are limited to doing it while shifting (unless they're also Werebadgers), but it's a class feature so they don't have to dip Barbarian to qualify for the feat. They can also use those lovely bonus shifter feats to take Shifter Savagery, sharing that with their mount, too!
    As of the Dragon 318 update, Badger Hengeyokai are LA+0, and also get Rage via their Alternate Form as it's an (Ex) special attack.

EDIT: Also, if you believe that Dragonwrought Kobolds can take Sovereign Archetypes, then Passion's Flame gets rage.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2019-07-31 at 10:18 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Macabaret View Post
    PrC
    Ashworm Dragoon (Sandstorm p.66) -- I love the 4th level ability. Combine it with ways to make your enemy attack your mount instead of you, and it's gold.
    Besides, who doesn't love playing a Fremen?

24. - Top - End - #234

Ruathar are fun. Very Aragorny maybe. Basically, you befriend an elf or a elven nation or something, and they reveal the secret of their longevity, which increases your lifespan by a lot and increases the size of the categories for your aging, meaning you can actualy go back an age category in some instances.

Where they get weird for me is that in the strange chain of incidences where a dragonwrought kobold were to be a ruathar, they have an already long dragonwrought lifespan gets extended longer by elf moisturiser tips or whatever. So now you’re easily looking at the ‘silly amount of centuries’ mark even with no charisma to speak of to boost it further.

Playing with lifespans is weird though. It will never come
    up in most games without huge timeskips, and if you want to live for a long time, there’s no reason not to become a lich or be eternally PAO’d into younger versions of your species.

On the topic of long lived things that have magic, bloodline rules get weird hard and are obscure enough being a variant rule. So, you take a bloodline which is pseudoclass that adds stuff as you level, representing your ancestry’s manifestation as you grow. But you also took a race that reflected that ancestry. And took a feat.
    And that is how I wrote down once that I would play a Silver Dragon Bloodline Silverbrow Human (descended from silver dragons) with Draconic Heritage (to later take silver dragon heritage), and then if we have feat space somehow Draconic Bloodline from dragon compendium.

So then you have a silver dragon descended being who is descended from a silver dragon and descended from a silver dragon and descended from a silver dragon and descended from a silver dragon.

I’m not sure what anyone can do with stacking multiple
    methods of being descended from something, but there’s something highly entertaining about a character sheet that reads like a family tree.
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2019-08-01 at 03:40 PM.
    never piss off people for who one of their main hobbies involves aggressive and thorough note-taking.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Oh, absolutely. I'd never heard of the codex anathema, for example, despite having many parts of lords of madness basically memorized. on that subject, lords of madness's slavery rules. there's cause to cite them with surprising frequency.

cold iron warrior's already been mentioned, and as questionable as the qc was on the online articles, the fey features as a whole were pretty cool.

occasionally I wake up in a cold sweat and fear that ballisteer will be the new ingredient for iron chef, but every time, I've been wrong.

Thanks for reminding me of Ballisteer.
    Funny thing i noticed is that both of the psionic sidestep feats seem to stack with each other on their movement which might actually make them sorta useful.

26. - Top - End - #236

I’ve never brought a character with Word Given Form (martial art style in Tome of Magic) to the table because the prereqs really are just that bad, but I kind of want to.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I’ve never brought a character with Word Given Form (martial art style in Tome of Magic) to the table because the prereqs really are just that bad, but I kind of want to.
    I'd be interested in reading up on that. Is it the Disciple of the Word PrC on P216, or is it another PrC that I'm missing?

Edit: reading through Disciple of the Word, although it's a pretty bad class, its 5th and 9th level abilities are actually really, really (really) good.

Word of Reflexes Exalted lets you use a Truespeak check to cover a reflex save.

Word of Mystic Deflection: When you're targeted by a spell that needs to overcome spell resistance, you can spend one use of Stunning Fist and attempt a truespeak check that the opposing caster has to overcome for their spell to work.
    Last edited by pabelfly; 2019-08-02 at 05:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Races of Faerun. Animal friend feat. I want to make a DFI bard that buffs his squirrel minions using it. If only I could find squirrel stats. Ravens and weasels are good options too I guess.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Favorite Obscure Prc, Feat, Spell etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    I'd be interested in reading up on that. Is it the Disciple of the Word PrC on P216, or is it another PrC that I'm missing?

Edit: reading through Disciple of the Word, although it's a pretty bad class, its 5th and 9th level abilities are actually really, really (really) good.

Word of Reflexes Exalted lets you use a Truespeak check to cover a reflex save.

Word of Mystic Deflection: When you're targeted by a spell that needs to overcome spell resistance, you can spend one use of Stunning Fist and attempt a truespeak check that the opposing caster has to overcome for their spell to work.
    I think it refers to the Word Given Form feat (ToM p.218): gives you 50% miss chance vs. creature that is the target of your Dodge feat. Pretty hefty feat tax...

I'm sure there's a few ways to have your Dodge feat apply to more than one opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Races of Faerun. Animal friend feat. I want to make a DFI bard that buffs his squirrel minions using it. If only I could find squirrel stats. Ravens and weasels are good options too I guess.
    That's an interesting feat: a bit of an hangover from how animal companions worked in 3.0; and was never updated AFAIK.

No squirrel stats I know of, although there are some squirrel-like beasties in 3E: Skiurid, Ratatosk and Hobyah. None of the animal type, through.
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2019-08-02 at 06:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

No squirrel stats I know of, although there are some squirrel-like beasties in 3E: Skiurid, Ratatosk and Hobyah. None of the animal type, through.
    I am very familiar with skiurids. One of my favorite monsters (right up there with rust monsters). I'm still looking for some way to get one as a familiar.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!