New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Days of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    That means the OotS world’s day star has the same name as our day star! I wonder if that’s just a coincidence, or if there’s a deeper meaning...

Like, for example:

Long ago, both Earth and OotS-World orbited the star call The Sun. But then one day, OOTS-World was destroyed. The end..
    Or it's just because it's simpler.
    Everybody knows what the sun is. There's no need to establish a new world and tell everybody "yeah, there's no sun in OOTS world. They have a feukveoc, which is exactly like the sun in our world, but they call it that way..."
    Last edited by Jannoire; 2019-07-15 at 09:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That’s the type of errant pedantry up with with which Vaarsuvius will happily put.
    Reminds me of that scene in Canadian Bacon. Quality movie, that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    Or it's just because it's simpler...
    Sure, but in a thread where we’re questioning the existence of the word SATURDAY, we might as well question other words as well...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    We know from comic 1089 that the meaning of the names of the days of the week are known in comic (Wednesday is, in short, a corruption of "The day of Woden" aka Odin.)

So that got me thinking, what might the other northern gods think of Tyr (tuesday), Odin, Thor (thursday), and Frigg (friday) having days named after them? Did the gods use Saturday as a sneaky way to honor the fallen eastern pantheon? The mortals aren't supposed to know Zeus even existed, much less know an alternate name of his, so it's unlikely that they named Saturday.
    If "Woden's day" can become Wednesday, "Surtur's Day" can become Saturday.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-15 at 09:56 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    If "Woden's day" can become Wednesday, "Surtur's Day" can become Saturday.

Grey Wolf
    Except that all philological evidence shows that it didn't. Saturday comes straight from latin's Saturni Dies. The oldest records are already written with the root "Satur".

6. - Top - End - #36

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Except that all philological evidence shows that it didn't. Saturday comes straight from latin's Saturni Dies. The oldest records are already written with the root "Satur".
    I’m not familiar with the comic you’re referencing. By “oldest records”, do you mean Start of Darkness?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    I agree with Dion. I do wonder what evidence you have for these "philological evidence" that are within the bounds of the forum rules, and explicitly within the bounds of the mod voice:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain: I'm re-opening this thread, but please keep all references relevant to the comic. This is a reminder that real-world religion is an Inappropriate Topic on these forums.
    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-15 at 10:23 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

It is attested as sæterndæg in Old English (note the <n>), but I'm unclear to what extent we're being serious or talking about in-universe philology only.
    Last edited by hroțila; 2019-07-15 at 10:26 AM.
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    It is attested as sæterndæg in Old English (note the <n>), but I'm unclear to what extent we're being serious or talking about in-universe philology only.
    Again: OotS isn't real life. If the question is "why is a day of the week in OotS called saturday, when there isn't and has never been a god named Saturn", then my answer is "because it is not named after a non-existing god, but after an existing one called Surtur".

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

This may raise the question "then why does Surtur get a day, when most of the others don't? He's just a minor demigod!" and the answer is "Iunno, they drew straws or something."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Again: OotS isn't real life. If the question is "why is a day of the week in OotS called saturday, when there isn't and has never been a god named Saturn", then my answer is "because it is not named after a non-existing god, but after an existing one called Surtur".

Grey Wolf
    Hence what I said about not being sure everybody was on the same page as to what the discussion is about. Anyway, I think positing it comes from "Surtur" just adds an unnecessary complication. It's probably just a random name in-universe. These things can't be made sense of once you strip them of their etymology and phonological history, which by necessity are specific to our world.

In fact, I'm going to posit there's no link between "Wednesday" and "Odin" in the OotS world, and Wednesday is Odin's day entirely by coincidence.
    Last edited by hroțila; 2019-07-15 at 10:36 AM.
    ungelic is us

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    This may raise the question "then why does Surtur get a day, when most of the others don't? He's just a minor demigod!" and the answer is "Iunno, they drew straws or something."
    Because they wanted to commemorate the day that Thor beat up Surtur for the first time this world, but Thorsday had already happened.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #43

HalflingRogueGuy

We’re having a very important serious discussion about why Saturday is called Saturday in OotS-verse.

We might have a discussion about why it’s called Saturday in our universe, but probably not a serious one, and probably not on this forum.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Wednesday is Odin's day entirely by coincidence.
    My bet is that Odin's day is Wednesday because Happy Hour on Wednesdays is a long standing tradition, and he wanted to get credit for all of the happiness during happy hour.

(Though I will say that in the last few decades, the "happy hour" tradition in general has been squashed by the zealotry that passes for "public interest" locally ...)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

And why do they have Sunday? The star that shines on their world during the day isn’t the Sun!
    Sigdi calls it the sun.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Wasn't Sunna one of the gods at the Godsmoot? That bit of etymology should be fine in-universe I think.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fun fact:

In portuguese, the days of the week (from monday to friday) are named "segunda-feira", "terça-feira", "quarta-feira", "quinta-feira" and "sexta-feira", meaning something like "second day", "third day", etc until the "sixth day".

Sunday is Domingo, as in spanish, meaning "Day of the Lord", and Saturday is Sábado, which is related to hebraic Shabbat.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Wasn't Sunna one of the gods at the Godsmoot? That bit of etymology should be fine in-universe I think.
    Yes, Sunna voted yes.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Best reason, too.

Grey Wolf

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Best reason, too.

Grey Wolf
    Sunna, god of the Sun and thrower of Nukes...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    In portuguese, the days of the week (from monday to friday) are named "segunda-feira", "terça-feira", "quarta-feira", "quinta-feira" and "sexta-feira", meaning something like "second day", "third day", etc until the "sixth day".
    Same in Mandarin: 星期一, 星期二, 星期三, etc.

There’s no use overthinking this. OOTS is a self-aware world based on D&D, either implicitly or explicitly, based on the introduction of Dale Arneson, Gary Gygax, version changes, references to specific rules, etc. In turn, D&D follows in the footsteps of Tolkien. Tolkien wrote in “On Fairy Stories” that the Secondary World is satisfying inasmuch as it is familiar to the Primary World where the reader lives. Bilbo Baggins has a great many familiar things in his tale that the reader will recognize, despite there being no in-world economic or logical reasons for them to exist (a clock on the mantelpiece that operates on a recognizable Earth timekeeping system, names of months and weekdays, a liquid economy, pocket handkerchiefs, good silverware for company, bound books, etc). Bilbo’s home is that of a 19th-century English gentleman in order to give a jumping-off point for like-minded readers.

In other words, it’s possible to build a world from first principles where everything is internally consistent and the characters really do speak Common and the biology is inhuman and the weapons are alien and the timekeeping is different.* It’s just not advisable to change too much.

*Weeks are 60 days long and the days are called Mugday, Thugday, Bugday, and Glugday, and they repeat, so there are 15 Glugdays per week.
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-08-09 at 10:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

It should be noted that because Tolkien was Tolkien, the Appendixes of LotR expalins that there is a good deal of translation convention going on regarding the names of the months, days and people in Middle-Earth.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It should be noted that because Tolkien was Tolkien, the Appendixes of LotR expalins that there is a good deal of translation convention going on regarding the names of the months, days and people in Middle-Earth.
    Somewhere along the way, someone translated Bilbo into a fine gentleman from the 1800s too
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

24. - Top - End - #54

And Arthur Conan Doyle’s writing says that “Dr Watson” wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories. It’s a convenient fiction. There was no translation. It was a choice by Tolkien to present a recognizable world and then justify that choice with more story.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    And Arthur Conan Doyle’s writing says that “Dr Watson” wrote the Sherlock Holmes stories. It’s a convenient fiction. There was no translation. It was a choice by Tolkien to present a recognizable world and then justify that choice with more story.
    Yes I know, I didn't challenge that.

(Edited for uncalled for aggressivity.)
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-09 at 03:25 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

It always bugged me how many small details in Tolkien's languages only worked as English calques. They should have taken his conlanging license.

I just can't get mad at the Baranduin/Branda-nîn/Bralda-hîm/Brandywine/[insert language of translation] joke though.
    Last edited by hroțila; 2019-08-09 at 03:40 PM.
    ungelic is us

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

It always bugged me how many small details in Tolkien's languages only worked as English calques. They should have taken his conlanging license.
    Also, "hey, let's state in the Appendixes that the hobbit version of Westron lost its T-V distinction but unlike english it lost the formal form, not the informal AND that no other form of Westron had lost it at the time meaning that to everybody who is not a hobbit sound weirdly bold and disrepectful by addressing complete strangers (raoyaly even) as if they were friends. And then, let's absolutely NOT reflect that in the dialog I wrote".
    What a great idea...

I don't think you can take the conlang license of the guy who founded the conlang club.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

They should have taken his conlanging license.
    I don't think you can take the conlang license of the guy who founded the conlang club.
    Spoiler: Tolkien's response
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, the thing with the lack of T-V distinction in the hobbit dialect was a stroke of genius.

Tolkien may cry treason all he wants, Hildegard of Bingen has the last word on his membership status.
    ungelic is us

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Tolkien's response
    Show
    Spoiler: Star Wars, really?
    Show
    Forum Wisdom