New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Dishonored (Stealth Dad Simulator)

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Speaking of disproportionate punishment, I decided to do an opinionated analysis of the various Targets across the first two games and their non-lethal eliminations versus assassinations. Spoilers abound, obviously, and I don't include anything from Death of the Outsider because I haven't played it.
    Spoiler: Seriously, Spoilers
    Show

Spoiler: Not Kidding
    Show

Spoiler: D1
    Show

High Overseer Campbell: Branded and exiled as a heretic. Sucks, but probably Better Than Death (ignoring his future destiny as a plague zombie victim).
    Hiram Burrows: Overthrown and locked in prison. Better Than Death, though he might argue otherwise - Coldridge Prison isn't a great place to live.

Spoiler: Ayup, that's a really big spoiler
    Show

I'm going to disagree with you on these two. The brand isn't just exile, it's excommunication from the only church in the Isles, and a direct statement to every faithful member of the Abbey to give Campbell no aid. The Brand marks him as a non-person, someone to be shunned and scorned. He can't function in society in any functional way, and he's a man with no real survival skills. The Brand is a slow and painful death sentence for him, and in a plague situation pretty much guaranteed to end as it does in the game. Slow, painful, near-certain death with plenty of misery on the way is probably worse than death.

Burrows, by comparison, is a proven mass-murderer. Dunwall has the death penalty. He is canonically executed for his crimes. The non-lethal path here merely utterly destroys his reputation and forces him to live with his failure for months before a public execution. By Corvo's hands. No mercy here, either.

The only targets who get out of Dishonored 1 in any way alright are Sokolov (who wasn't actually part of the conspiracy at all, merely someone very important who kept working for Burrows after the coup) and Daud (who shows deep remorse for his actions immediately before Corvo confronts him, and promises sincerely to disappear forever if spared). Oh, and Lady Boyle, who actually winds up marrying and then killing off her stalker and taking his money, but considering how unlikely that outcome is and what seemed to be only the table I think we can still say Corvo was giving her a pretty miserable fate. Corvo in the first game shows no mercy to the members of either Conspiracy save Daud.

Low Chaos is called that and not Good for a reason. The non-lethal routes in Dishonored 1 are going to cause a lot less panic than important public officials showing up in a pool of their own blood, but they are very much not nice. Unlike Dishonored 2, where the protagonists frequently show real mercy. Even to people who don't deserve it, like everyone's favorite mass-murdering narcissist Luca Abele.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    About Luca Abele:

Spoiler
    Show

I never played high chaos in D2 because I thoroughly disgusted myself following that route in D1--what's the difference between the low and high chaos versions of swapping him for his double?
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Low Chaos, the double orders his guards to treat Luca kindly in his 'madness'. In High Chaos he orders them to cut out Luca's tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Spoiler: Ayup, that's a really big spoiler
    Show

I'm going to disagree with you on these two. The brand isn't just exile, it's excommunication from the only church in the Isles, and a direct statement to every faithful member of the Abbey to give Campbell no aid. The Brand marks him as a non-person, someone to be shunned and scorned. He can't function in society in any functional way, and he's a man with no real survival skills. The Brand is a slow and painful death sentence for him, and in a plague situation pretty much guaranteed to end as it does in the game. Slow, painful, near-certain death with plenty of misery on the way is probably worse than death.

Burrows, by comparison, is a proven mass-murderer. Dunwall has the death penalty. He is canonically executed for his crimes. The non-lethal path here merely utterly destroys his reputation and forces him to live with his failure for months before a public execution. By Corvo's hands. No mercy here, either.

The only targets who get out of Dishonored 1 in any way alright are Sokolov (who wasn't actually part of the conspiracy at all, merely someone very important who kept working for Burrows after the coup) and Daud (who shows deep remorse for his actions immediately before Corvo confronts him, and promises sincerely to disappear forever if spared). Oh, and Lady Boyle, who actually winds up marrying and then killing off her stalker and taking his money, but considering how unlikely that outcome is and what seemed to be only the table I think we can still say Corvo was giving her a pretty miserable fate. Corvo in the first game shows no mercy to the members of either Conspiracy save Daud.

Low Chaos is called that and not Good for a reason. The non-lethal routes in Dishonored 1 are going to cause a lot less panic than important public officials showing up in a pool of their own blood, but they are very much not nice. Unlike Dishonored 2, where the protagonists frequently show real mercy. Even to people who don't deserve it, like everyone's favorite mass-murdering narcissist Luca Abele.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll give you Campbell, on reflection and after looking up the actual consequences of the Brand - literally no one, Abbey members or otherwise, are allowed to interact with him.

Burrows might canonically get a death sentence from out-of-game lore, but I was trying to evaluate based on what's directly presented in-game - hence rating Boyle or Delilah V1 as AFWTD, and all that's clearly shown is him being arrested and imprisoned. Pretty much everyone who doesn't get mutilated/crippled somehow still loses their power/prestige/reputation in Low Chaos, so I couldn't use that alone as a criteria.

That'll drop Corvo to tie with Daud in terms of mercy, and even High Chaos Emily/Corvo still beats them.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-08-24 at 10:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Colossus in the Playground

It's time to get further distracted!

Zodi Plays: Dishonored [13] Objet d'Art

Video Length: 29:29

In this exciting episode, we make our way over to the offices of Galvani once more, dealing with all the guards in our path. We... mostly handle the guards well, though I do end up slowly, but surely, learning the various intricacies of stealth in this game. I think I mostly just misunderestimate how important sound is. That aside, we are able to infiltrate Galvani's office in a new way, and are able to clear it out rather simply. Sadly, at least for Slackjaw anyway, the man he sent to investigate this office is deader than a doornail. We snatch up his final audio-graph recording, and head back so we can learn what it says.

Or rather, we would, but along the way I found the upper floor entrance to the art dealer's house! And as you'd expect, while most people do lock their bottom floor door... no one locks the doors on the top floors! We infiltrate the apartment, a three floor mess of mostly garbage, but there's a massive safe door that Slackjaw's men are trying to get into. If only we had the combination... and if only I didn't spend a good deal of time looking for it just in case the gang members missed something and that's the secret. Oops.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed! I realize that my getting distracted by shiny side things may not make for the best gameplay, but I hope you enjoy. Blind runs tend to be like this after all. I'll see you all next time!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I might replay Dishonored again once I get my computer working.

Spoiler: Dishonored 2 Fate Worse than Death for first target discussion
    Show

The guy who you lock in your safe room? Yeah, it seems better than death -- plenty of food and water, and he'd get free eventually. But if you go back in the safe room at the end of the game, you find him petrified and/or skewered. I forget the details. And that was Low Chaos.

So it seems Delilah eventually had them break into the room, and wasn't too pleased with his performance.

I enjoyed doing both the Low Chaos and High Chaos run in Dishonored. Liked Low Chaos in Dishonored 2, but got bored just killing everything in Dishonored 2. Plus, the voiceovers for Emily and Corvo in Dishonored 2 really make you seem like a psycho in High Chaos.
    Spoiler: one quote from Corvo
    Show
    Maybe paraphrased, but when he took some coin from a desk and said, "I take your money, or I take your life. What difference does it make?" it really struck me that I was playing a crazy killer. Lost interest soon after.

And then there's the Heart's statements about how horrible you are.

5. - Top - End - #275

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I might replay Dishonored again once I get my computer working.

Spoiler: Dishonored 2 Fate Worse than Death for first target discussion
    Show

The guy who you lock in your safe room? Yeah, it seems better than death -- plenty of food and water, and he'd get free eventually. But if you go back in the safe room at the end of the game, you find him petrified and/or skewered. I forget the details. And that was Low Chaos.

So it seems Delilah eventually had them break into the room, and wasn't too pleased with his performance.

I enjoyed doing both the Low Chaos and High Chaos run in Dishonored. Liked Low Chaos in Dishonored 2, but got bored just killing everything in Dishonored 2. Plus, the voiceovers for Emily and Corvo in Dishonored 2 really make you seem like a psycho in High Chaos.
    Show
    Maybe paraphrased, but when he took some coin from a desk and said, "I take your money, or I take your life. What difference does it make?" it really struck me that I was playing a crazy killer. Lost interest soon after.

Spoiler: Quote
    Show

It does make sense for the Heart to be increasingly judgemental of you as your Chaos goes up, considering whose spirit is trapped inside it for 3/4 of the game. Jessamine was definitely a Low Chaos type of ruler.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-08-26 at 11:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Man, you were spotted so many times in this one! Just because you can teleport and see through walls, doesn't mean you're silent and invisible, too!
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Man, you were spotted so many times in this one! Just because you can teleport and see through walls, doesn't mean you're silent and invisible, too!
    I'm working on it! I learned how to be sneaky, now I need to learn how to be stealthy. There's a difference!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'll do my best to avoid painful puns this time.

Oh, good. More magic assassin people.

And now a whole group of guards, just napping in the street.

Man, apparently you just have issues with guards.

If I can say anything, it's that you're definitely getting way better with using the tools you have to be stealthy - especially blinking. That darkvision stuff is super useful, too. Room for improvement, sure, but... way better than the beginning.

Spoiler: Takedowns
    Show
    Episode Non-Lethal Lethal Total
    1 0 4 4
    2 4 8 12
    3 0 0 0
    4 0 0 0
    5 6 2 8
    6 9 7 16
    7 2 3 5
    8 3 0 3
    9 7 0 7
    10 16 1 17
    11 2 0 2
    12 3 0 3
    12 13 0 13
    Total 65 25 90

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    To some people in Dunwall and Karnaca, there might actually be no difference. It's shown that situation is pretty dire and loosing money might actually be the same as dying... the only difference is amount of suffering one or the other will involve.

Now, a single coin might be a little hard to swallow, but there are plenty of items in game where that quote would be totally legit.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #280

Looks like it's time to actually progress with the main story mission!

Zodi Plays: Dishonored [14] The Best Little Whorehose in Dunwall

Video Length: 25:36

In this episode, I continue to learn the intricacies of the stealth system. I know how to be SNEAKY, but I don't yet know how to be STEALTHY. There is a difference, and you can see that difference clear as day here. For I am very sneaky this episode. I am not stealthy in the slightest.

Truthfully there's not much else for me to say. In terms of sneaking around, the Golden Catt seems way more complicated and tightly packed than the Overseer's Chambers, and I think that's cool. It's actually pretty difficult to sneak through, and there's a lot of winding paths to both enter from and escape too. I like to think that my flailing around was just me showing all those various routes off, for completion sake.

One final note; I am aware that some of the footage is... shaky. I don't know what the issue is, to put it bluntly. It happens in gameplay too, I think it's just that Dishonored's got a bit more high pace than my laptop can actually deal with. I feel kinda bad about it, because some of this stuff might look a lot cooler when smooth as silk. If anyone has advice on how to make the game less angry whenever I do a teleport, that'd be cool.

Anyway, that's it for today. I hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you guys next time. Take care.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aaww, you were doing so well with the stealth! And then you jump into an unscouted room and start to leave bodies lying around everywhere.
    You port'n'strangle is on point, I must say. Mastered that one pretty quickly!

In case you did not realise, the jumps at ~15:50 did not work because even Corvo cannot do one-armed pull-ups onto a ledge while carrying a body.

I used to play stealth games pretty much like you do, taking out everyone and creating a huge heap of bodies behind some shed. Desperados and Commandos influenced me there, I think. With games that offer more options in mobility (like Dishonored and Mark of the Ninja), I nowadays prefer to go for complete ghosting and not interact with anybody.

"Daughter of Thyvia" a nice play? Did my sarcasm detector fail or did you just happen to overlook all the raunchy bits?

Spoiler: Slight spoiler about later mission layout
    Show
    I gues Zodi will be delighted when she finally finds a chimney that is also a door.
    Last edited by Iruka; 2019-08-30 at 01:07 PM.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

12. - Top - End - #282

In my defense I didn't actually read that play because I fully expected it to BE a Lusty Argonian Maid style book.

And yeah, noted for next time: Hide bodies on the chandeliers

I have difficulty not killing/knocking out my enemies because it's such a safety net to beat them up.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-30 at 08:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Proud of you for not immediately tossing the whale oil canister from the guard tower on the captain's head down below.

"This district is under a whale oil ban." Ah, so I see you were just doing them a favour relinquishing them of the guard tower's oil.

Show
    1 0 4 4
    2 4 8 12
    3 0 0 0
    4 0 0 0
    5 6 2 8
    6 9 7 16
    7 2 3 5
    8 3 0 3
    9 7 0 7
    10 16 1 17
    11 2 0 2
    12 3 0 3
    13 13 0 13
    14 11 0 11
    Total 76 25 101

Hey, you're now up to over 100 takedowns. More than 3/4s of which have been non-lethal!
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-08-30 at 02:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Proud of you for not immediately tossing the whale oil canister from the guard tower on the captain's head down below.

"This district is under a whale oil ban." Ah, so I see you were just doing them a favour relinquishing them of the guard tower's oil.

Show
    1 0 4 4
    2 4 8 12
    3 0 0 0
    4 0 0 0
    5 6 2 8
    6 9 7 16
    7 2 3 5
    8 3 0 3
    9 7 0 7
    10 16 1 17
    11 2 0 2
    12 3 0 3
    13 13 0 13
    14 11 0 11
    Total 76 25 101

Hey, you're now up to over 100 takedowns. More than 3/4s of which have been non-lethal!
    WHALE OIL FOR EVERYBODY! *throws oil from the tower at the innocents*

Wow I'm only two missions in and have already encountered over 100 new friends and gave most of them big hugs instead of a stab. Nice. I'm impressed with myself.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    WHALE OIL FOR EVERYBODY! *throws oil from the tower at the innocents*

Wow I'm only two missions in and have already encountered over 100 new friends and gave most of them big hugs instead of a stab. Nice. I'm impressed with myself.
    All the explosions.

Well, that Strong Hands charm really helps with that, I'm sure.
    (Though, it's still concerning that you only "didn't stab most of your friends." )

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

(Though, it's still concerning that you only "didn't stab most of your friends." )
    This is Zodi we're talking about.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    This is Zodi we're talking about.
    Look, if there's a nonzero chance of a knife ending up in my back - accidentally or otherwise - there is a concern! The fact that, like, half those stabbings were unintentional is not reassuring!

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Look, if there's a nonzero chance of a knife ending up in my back - accidentally or otherwise - there is a concern! The fact that, like, half those stabbings were unintentional is not reassuring!
    Only half is less than all, I call that an upgrade.

Trust me, I do know a thing or two about halves.

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Man, who'd have thought guards would be able to see underneath tables??

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

20. - Top - End - #290

Happy day off day! Time for a new Dishonored.

Zodi Plays: Dishonored [15] The Real Kinky ****

Video Length: 31:54

In this exciting episode, after flailing around a bit more, we finally get some progress done. Specifically, we find out where the Art Dealer is, inside the Silver Room. We also, unfortunately, find one of Pietro's inventions, a glorified torture device that we must use to extract information out from the Art Dealer. We get to learn the wonderful information that the Pendleton's could be far, far richer if only he didn't directly screw them over (a fact that our Pendleton will no doubt enjoy) and we learn the Art Dealer's safe combo, which is... 696. Because of course it is.

Then, after some deliberation on my part, and after strangling I think two more guys, I realize... whatever loot on the higher floors isn't actually worth much given I just completed the level for the most part, so... let's find Emily and get out of here. And of course by "find Emily" I mean "find her location" because I didn't actually clue in on the fact that Emily is directly in this building and we're looking for her, physically, until I actually found her. I figured "Find Emily's location" meant more to learn where she is than not. So it was a nice surprise when I found my daughter and her adorable drawings. Huzzah, day is saved!

With the combo to his safe in hand, we can return to Slackjaw and inform him of it, so that he can fulfill his end of the bargain; dealing with the Pendleton Twins non-lethally. Of course, his version of non-lethally is "slice off their tongues, shave their heads, and ship them to a quarry for the rest of their miserable lives" and truthfully given the aesthetic feel of this world I don't imagine they have a high chance of surviving the tongue cut, so this really feels more like a "oh they're going to die, just not HERE, so that's okay" and that's... well that's certainly interesting, at least. Thanks, Slackjaw. Of course we get the last laugh since I totally rob the safe area before telling Slackjaw the combo. Rip in piss, bud.

And with that, we're done the second mission of Dishonored... with zero kills! I did it, I did it! I didn't murder anyone except via proxy with the Pendleton's and any guards that get executed for failure, or prostitutes who end up getting killed in the shuffle of figuring out what went wrong. But none of that is directly blood on my hands so we're good! Now... to work on the whole being seen part of it. Because stealthy, I was not! At any rate, this'll be it for today. Hope you enjoyed, I'll see you all next time for... whatever is next. I didn't record any yet so I can't even tease it.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Good thing there's water there to cushion your many escapes.

I feel like pre-robbing the safe is gonna come back to bite you later. Just saying.

Show
    1 0 4 4
    2 4 8 12
    3 0 0 0
    4 0 0 0
    5 6 2 8
    6 9 7 16
    7 2 3 5
    8 3 0 3
    9 7 0 7
    10 16 1 17
    11 2 0 2
    12 3 0 3
    13 13 0 13
    14 11 0 11
    15 9 0 9
    Total 85 25 110

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Rip in piss, bud.
    What did Slackjaw ever do to you? You've murderised his men, burglarised his office and now you've stiffed him on a fair deal!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    What did Slackjaw ever do to you? You've murderised his men, burglarised his office and now you've stiffed him on a fair deal!
    He asked for the combination! Never said he wanted the contents.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I never knew you could get into the safe before giving him the code.

Will be interesting to see how things go from here on out with that change.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

That's the kind of logic that gets people stabbed in order to avoid having to pay out. "Here's your money. You never said you needed to be alive to spend it."

26. - Top - End - #296

That's the kind of logic that gets people stabbed in order to avoid having to pay out. "Here's your money. You never said you needed to be alive to spend it."
    That's a valid point but truthfully it wasn't until the game told me the safe I wanted into and the safe Slackjaw wanted into where the game that I even noticed that they were. Ooops, my bad crime friend!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I never knew you could get into the safe before giving him the code.

Will be interesting to see how things go from here on out with that change.
    If you close the safe door(once the looting is done) and set the code back to original, he'll even be none the wiser.

Developer foresight indeed.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

That's a valid point but truthfully it wasn't until the game told me the safe I wanted into and the safe Slackjaw wanted into where the game that I even noticed that they were. Ooops, my bad crime friend!
    That's fair. Admittedly, I was wondering whether stealing the safe would void the deal, but, looks like it lets you have your cake and throw it in his face too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    If you close the safe door(once the looting is done) and set the code back to original, he'll even be none the wiser.

Developer foresight indeed.
    Oh, that's a cool touch.

29. - Top - End - #299

There's a Steam achievement for looting the safe before giving him the combo, actually.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

This will totally end with you stabbing slackjaw, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.