New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1171 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    What kind of gambit do you suspect?
    Uncertain. It simply seems unlikely that Rich would bring the character in for one spell and a throwaway gag, especially one with so much unfinished narrative business. Hilgya’s whole shtick is her grudge against her clan; it’s hard to imagine she won’t come into play during a meeting of said clans.

What form the gambit takes, I don’t know. Maybe Loki told her to walk once the gate was breached, so she could return when the guards’ focus was elsewhere. Maybe she’s secretly going to use her plane shift to rescue the not-Thad guy, but doesn’t want anybody to know what she’s up to.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Uncertain. It simply seems unlikely that Rich would bring the character in for one spell and a throwaway gag, especially one with so much unfinished narrative business. Hilgya’s whole shtick is her grudge against her clan; it’s hard to imagine she won’t come into play during a meeting of said clans.

What form the gambit takes, I don’t know. Maybe Loki told her to walk once the gate was breached, so she could return when the guards’ focus was elsewhere. Maybe she’s secretly going to use her plane shift to rescue the not-Thad guy, but doesn’t want anybody to know what she’s up to.
    That said, while we know that the strip won't end with the end of the world by Hel, Hilgya does not; she may well be truly focusing on the needs of her child, here, no? And, then, after she finds out she does not need to Plane Shift out of there, she can settle things.

Mind, I don't think the Firehelm clan can afford the trip right now - with herself as the sole exception...
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Hilgya’s whole shtick is her grudge against her clan; it’s hard to imagine she won’t come into play during a meeting of said clans.
    Have I missed an indication that either Clan Firehelm of Ivan's clan are in attendance?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-15 at 02:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Her first plan was "set the building on fire." The second plan was slightly more elaborate, but that doesn't really require terribly much intelligence. Even Belkar and Elan are capable of cunning on occasion.
    Most people aren't good at tactical planning and scheming while murderously angry. All her simple first plan hints at is that she's not good at keeping her emotions under control. That, and a certain fondness for fire, which makes sense, seeing as it seems to be Loki's element.

@Fish: Hmm, I had forgotten about not-Thad guy. She might be Haley-esque levels of paranoid ... I couldn't think of any other reason why she wouldn't want his own friends and allies to know what she's up to.

Still, I'd think it more in character for her to first get Kudzu, and then, perhaps, return to battle. If she's anything like Haley, she wouldn't trust others to keep him safe, especially not from the impending apocalypse. (I can't imagine Haley's father would have let anyone babysit her. Not even to go save the world.)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post

Mind, I don't think the Firehelm clan can afford the trip right now - with herself as the sole exception...
    That's an interesting point.

She might be planning to go to the meeting to represent her clan. Can she change locations via planeshift?
    Last edited by Themrys; 2019-07-15 at 02:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Pampukin View Post
    Plane shifting away would help how exactly? I thought all of creation got unmade in the process. Didnt Thor or someone else said that specifically outsiders didnt got reset, but are not on the loop, cause they go a little crazy? Mortals on other planes dont get their souls reset? Wouldnt that be a risk since the whole thing is a super secret?
    Also thinking about outsiders not knowing makes me wonder if the IFCC has some contingency for the universe getting reset, since their memories would get erased if they know thats a thing at all. Or if they already have avoided it and this is them "going a bit nuts" that Thor mentioned.
    No, the world/material plan gets reset. That's not the entire universe; the outer planes specifically still exist.

Anyway, I see no reason to think that Hilgya has a gambit of any kind. Forget whether she's intelligent or cunning enough, she's shown a distinct lack of interest this entire time. Her really just deciding "Eh, done with this." fits perfectly with literally everything she's said of the matter.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-07-15 at 02:33 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

6. - Top - End - #96

Lizardfolk

Loki is just... ...the best.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Her schtick is her immediate, extreme, shortsighted reactions to every perceived slight. On that score, we can at least credit her race trick as a gambit worthy of a priestess of Loki, while trying to poison her husband really was not -- at least that is a kind of character growth, I suppose.

She seems to have adequately screwed over her own clan sufficiently that there is no reason to expect trouble from that direction.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'm guessing Dwarven cuisine is based on ale and mushrooms, how bad could it be?

"Ye faced the battle of chewing that down with much honor!"

Apparently her crabapple cobbler tastes like a Poison Spell, so humans probably wouldn't find it appetizing.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hilgya abandoned the Linear Guild partway through their first mission agains the OOTS, so this seems in character for her.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, say what you will about Hilgya, but she is a pretty good cleric of Loki.

Reminder that I don’t believe that her loophole is likely to actually work, however.

Peelee’s Lotsey

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Well, say what you will about Hilgya, but she is a pretty good cleric of Loki.
    I mean, he himself says so.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

His face when he says it it great too.
    He looks like someone who just managed to arrange some epic prank or scam.

Unfortunatly that's now. While Hilgya certainly Held up Loki's ideal, she still acted against against his interest here.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's some (minor?) consequences for this.
    Maybe a few days without access to spells or being target to a Loki-brand prank?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #103
    Halfling in the Playground

. . . and Loki would never lie . . . right?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    His face when he says it it great too.
    He looks like someone who just managed to arrange some epic prank or scam.

Unfortunatly that's now. While Hilgya certainly Held up Loki's ideal, she still acted against against his interest here.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's some (minor?) consequences for this.
    Maybe a few days without access to spells or being target to a Loki-brand prank?
    Well, Loki basically says he'd do the same thing. However, he isn't a hypocrite: he will always follow his self-interest.

Which means Hilgya might be in for a prank, yes, but I don't think it'd be much worse than this.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Which means Hilgya might be in for a prank, yes, but I don't think it'd be much worse than this.
    It's Loki. Being a target of his pranks is about as bad as things can get*.
    Best case scenario, all fire spells cast around Hilgya hit her instead of the intended target.

*Admittedly, it isn't a worst case scenario like Asmodeus himself wanting to murder you dead, but it definitely is up there.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    It's Loki. Being a target of his pranks is about as bad as things can get*.
    Best case scenario, all fire spells cast around Hilgya hit her instead of the intended target.

*Admittedly, it isn't a worst case scenario like Asmodeus himself wanting to murder you dead, but it definitely is up there.
    I believe receiving pranks is Cleric of Loki 101 during their clerical school... (which doens't mean Hylgia didn't try to revenge murder her classmates for the slightest pranks)
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-07-15 at 04:02 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I believe receiving pranks is Cleric of Loki 101 during their clerical school... (which doens't mean Hylgia didn't try to revenge murder her classmates for the slightest pranks)
    Well, duh. That would be cause pranks are how Loki grants boons and shows his displeasure both*.
    The trick is finding out which one it is.

*And boredom, sudden bouts of inspiration, having leftovers from a different prank...

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Have I missed an indication that either Clan Firehelm of Ivan's clan are in attendance?
    No, this is my assessment of her remaining narrative value and speculating on the most efficient method of exhausting it. All things being equal, “Hilgya stays and has it out with a Firehelm clan leader and/or speaks as the Firehelm clan leader” is more efficient than “Hilgya shows up, does very little, wanders away, shows up again for no reason, and talks with her clan leader at a later time.”
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post

Reminder that I don’t believe that her loophole is likely to actually work, however.
    Considering the last two strips, I don´t see why not. It may depend on catching Hel in the right/wrong moment.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

20. - Top - End - #110

HalflingRogueGuy

“Hilgya shows up, does very little, wanders away, shows up again for no reason, and talks with her clan leader at a later time.”
    Kudzu was the important character in this book..

Hilgya only showed up because she’s the walking half of the Kudzu-Hilgya Master-Blaster combo.

I doubt Kudzu’s story is complete. By extension, Hilgya’s story isn’t complete because she’s connected to Kudzu.

But Hilgya’s stupid squabble with the firehelm clan are so unimportant to me that I’m...
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-07-15 at 04:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Pardon me if this was mentioned, but I have a hunch the blindness is a chekov thing.

Doesn't it grant him immunity to the gaze hypno gaze?
    Well, blindness was immunity with Melissa the Medusa, but that was years ago.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

It's hard to be a hypocrite when your guiding philosophy is "Do whatever's best for you"

Oh my Loki. So true!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Halfling in the Playground

Did everyone including Logann forget that there's an easy way to dispel magic effects nearby?
    Tardy Elves FTW!
    I was thinking of a policy of "Uncroak now, disinter later". - Me

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    since hel didn't contest the deaths from the last century that loki brought in, the 32 others that died in the copper mine that day just got all their souls saved. since that was definitely less than a century ago.
    "Fine with me. Hardly any of these are mine anyway" doesn't sound like an autowin for the non-Hel side. It sounds like Loki doesn't care enough to demand Hel actually engage with the topic, so they stay exactly where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    Did everyone including Logann forget that there's an easy way to dispel magic effects nearby?
    He needs to get through a bunch of dominated guards, and possibly a vampire or two, to get there.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-07-15 at 06:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wasn't expecting Hilgya to do that, but in hindsight I guess it makes sense that she leave now.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Kudzu was the important character in this book.
    False. It was Durkon. </dwight>

Hilgya showed up because her story is intertwined with Durkon, who, you may recall, proposed to her not that many strips ago.
    But Hilgya’s stupid squabble with the firehelm clan are so unimportant to me that I’m...
    You find ... the central conflict between the main character of this book and the woman he proposed to ... unimportant?

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

You find ... the central conflict between the main character of this book and the woman he proposed to ... unimportant?
    I don't believe the Firehelm clan is a main character of the book, nor that it ever proposed to Hilgya.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-07-15 at 06:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

False. It was Durkon. </dwight>
    Bears. Beets. Beers in Valhalla.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

It's good to see Tinna again, but now I'm worried for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    It'll be a wild ride, and I can't wait to see all the twists and turns, but we'll be fine.

This is gonna be great.

30. - Top - End - #120

HalflingRogueGuy

Hilgya showed up because her story is intertwined with Durkon, who, you may recall, proposed to her not that many strips ago.
    I care what happens to Hilgya the same way I care what happens to Grubwiggler.

Things I will not say: “Oh boy! I wonder how Grubwiggler will work out his conflict with the thieves guild! And I sure do hope the Firehelms scrape together enough money to keep their cave! I hope there’s a couple strips devoted to both those things at the end of the book!”
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-07-15 at 06:48 PM.