New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1171 - The Discussion Thread

Hilgya: a true pillar of faith in the everyday dwarven community.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-07-15 at 06:52 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

I also want to tear down any arguments that Hilgya leaving is because she's a caring mother. Her reasoning is not that she's afraid for Kudzu's safety, it's that she doesn't care enough to keep trying at this point. If it were a safety thing she'd say she'd be leaving immediately, but she didn't - she said she'd leave if she has any sign that they failed and it seems like the world is about to end.

Hilgya's first and foremost concern is her own whims. Anything else can only be a distant second, including Kudzu's safety, as her previous behavior has already made apparent.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I also want to tear down any arguments that Hilgya leaving is because she's a caring mother. Her reasoning is not that she's afraid for Kudzu's safety, it's that she doesn't care enough to keep trying at this point. If it were a safety thing she'd say she'd be leaving immediately, but she didn't - she said she'd leave if she has any sign that they failed and it seems like the world is about to end.

Hilgya's first and foremost concern is her own whims. Anything else can only be a distant second, including Kudzu's safety, as her previous behavior has already made apparent.
    She's leaving to go grab Kudzu because she cares about Kudzu, at least more than this whole kerfuffle about the Council of Clans and the end of the world and stuff. She's planning on plane shifting out the minute things turn south because of her own whims.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    She's leaving to go grab Kudzu because she cares about Kudzu, at least more than this whole kerfuffle about the Council of Clans and the end of the world and stuff. She's planning on plane shifting out the minute things turn south because of her own whims.
    I didn't say she didn't care at all, I said she doesn't care about him as much as herself. Hence why I said "distant second", it inherently implies the character can care about other things, but has something else they will absolutely put first.

Going to get him costs her nothing, but as far as she knows leaving could make it more likely the world is destroyed.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-07-15 at 06:58 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I still expect something from Hilgya. Perhaps:

"You're really going to trust Cousin Durkon not to screw things up?"

She is standing right next to a bard in that panel.

However, I love how The Giant is ramping up the anticipation with every page. G. R. R. Martin needs to study this for his own work.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

When you're so cool that you continue fighting while blind and refuse medical treatment due to turn economy.

Also, I feel like every time Hilgya is on screen, an absolute storm of argument will erupt on forum.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't say she didn't care at all, I said she doesn't care about him as much as herself. Hence why I said "distant second", it inherently implies the character can care about other things, but has something else they will absolutely put first.

Going to get him costs her nothing, but as far as she knows leaving could make it more likely the world is destroyed.
    Hm, fair enough.

Side note: I'm pretty sure that Hilgya's idea that working as a cleric of Loki and being dishonorable will, in fact, get her past the Hel gate. However, what she isn't realizing is that the normal alignment system is still in place once she does, so unless clerics of a religion is sent to the relevant god's domain automatically Hilgya will still not end up where she wants to. I'm guessing the reason for the confusion is that so many dwarves are in the upper left corner of the alignment chart that they assume once someone gets past Hel they automatically go to Vahalla.

-Squire Doodad

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 5crownik007 View Post
    Also, I feel like every time Hilgya is on screen, an absolute storm of argument will erupt on forum.
    This isn't even in the top 15 Hilgya arguments, never mind the top 50 forum arguments. Miko and Familicide are both more contentious than Hilgya.

Sigdi, however, has been near-universally praised. I for one expect a Giant sigh of relief in this book's commentary for having finally created a non-contentious female supporting character.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-07-15 at 07:12 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

so unless clerics of a religion is sent to the relevant god's domain automatically
    If it's not automatic it's close enough to not matter. How else do you explain Durkon going to Valhalla instead of Celestia?

Then again, nothing says that Loki actually has a cool upstairs room in Valhalla. His domain could be on the Plane of Fire, or Pandaemonium as mentioned upthread.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-07-15 at 07:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    This isn't even in the top 15 Hilgya arguments, never mind the top 50 forum arguments. Miko and Familicide are both more contentious than Hilgya.

True, maybe size of the argument is proportional to how long Hilgya is visible. Interesting thought.
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

11. - Top - End - #131

HalflingRogueGuy

I’m pretty sure Hilgya’s actions in this comic are the absolute definition of dishonorable.

The Hilgya ending I want: the death worm kills Hilgya as she’s walking away. Hilgya appears in Hel, in Hel and Loki’s presence. Loki ignores her and leaves Hel without her.

12. - Top - End - #132

Well, if we're talking alignment, what does Loki's stated philosophy and his pride in Hilgya embodying it say about them?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, if we're talking alignment, what does Loki's stated philosophy and his pride in Hilgya embodying it say about them?
    A strongly Chaotic alignment.
    Most likely non-good.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #134

HalflingRogueGuy

It says that Loki in OotS-verse is chaotic evil, and his clerics are also chaotic evil.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

See, Hel? If Loki got mad at Hilgya for that, then he would be a hypocrite.

Hmm. Based on that philosophy, I guess Loki's alignment would have to be True Neutral. He's Lawful and Chaotic depending on what's convenient and morality has more or less no bearing on decisions.

Yeah...I'll miss Kudzu, but won't miss Hilgya if she's exiting stage left. I don't hate her, but...this is enough.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Uncertain. It simply seems unlikely that Rich would bring the character in for one spell and a throwaway gag, especially one with so much unfinished narrative business. Hilgya’s whole shtick is her grudge against her clan; it’s hard to imagine she won’t come into play during a meeting of said clans.

What form the gambit takes, I don’t know. Maybe Loki told her to walk once the gate was breached, so she could return when the guards’ focus was elsewhere. Maybe she’s secretly going to use her plane shift to rescue the not-Thad guy, but doesn’t want anybody to know what she’s up to.
    "One spell and a throwaway gag"? She reappeared 65 strips ago. And she's the mother of Durkon's child, which seems in and of itself like a major point, since I'm assuming that's not what you meant by "throwaway gag."

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Most people aren't good at tactical planning and scheming while murderously angry. All her simple first plan hints at is that she's not good at keeping her emotions under control. That, and a certain fondness for fire, which makes sense, seeing as it seems to be Loki's element.
    What makes you think her first plan was concocted in the heat of the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I still expect something from Hilgya. Perhaps:

"You're really going to trust Cousin Durkon not to screw things up?"

She is standing right next to a bard in that panel.
    I don't understand; are you implying Hilgya and Durkon are cousins?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5crownik007 View Post
    When you're so cool that you continue fighting while blind and refuse medical treatment due to turn economy.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post

Sigdi, however, has been near-universally praised. I for one expect a Giant sigh of relief in this book's commentary for having finally created a non-contentious female supporting character.
    I agree with Zimmer here. I would even dare to say that Celia and Andi created just as if not more heated debates.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Cousin Durkon refers to Durkon as being the cousin of the speaker, not Hilgya. The Thundershield/everyone else Clan is so big that odds are everyone can just say "Cousin X" and they will be close enough.

-Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

No. I'm implying the bard beside Hilgya is Durkon's cousin.

This can't be Hilgya's finale because she will be needed to convince Redcloak to help seal the gate with just a tiny nineth level spell slot bit of purple quiddity.

Or I could be wrong again. (If I had a quatloo for guessing wrong what comes next in this comic I'd have a lot of quatloos.)

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

"One spell and a throwaway gag"? She reappeared 65 strips ago. And she's the mother of Durkon's child, which seems in and of itself like a major point, since I'm assuming that's not what you meant by "throwaway gag."
    I think they meant sticking around for the attack on the Council rather than just leaving after the Durkon thing was done.

I guess to read it more literally it would have to be after the Sigdi bonds with Kudzu thing too.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

21. - Top - End - #141

HalflingRogueGuy

This can't be Hilgya's finale because she will be needed to convince Redcloak to help seal the gate
    I can see this happening.

Hilgya: Just do anything you feel like doing Redcloak. And if it’s too hard, give up. After all, you can just planeshift out as your world and everything you know is snuffed out of existence, while your god slowly dies of starvation. That’s exactly what I’m going to do!

Redcloak: ... ummm.... remind me again what the other option was? Something about a 9th level spell?
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-07-15 at 08:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

This can't be Hilgya's finale because she will be needed to convince Redcloak to help seal the gate with just a tiny nineth level spell slot bit of purple quiddity.
    Having an evil party member with a >10 INT and WIS score may help getting Reddie to start negotiating. But it really shouldn't be Hilgya, Durkon is already the designated candidate as per Word of Thor.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Having an evil party member with a >10 INT and WIS score may help getting Reddie to start negotiating. But it really shouldn't be Hilgya, Durkon is already the designated candidate as per Word of Thor.
    Also, Hilgya is very clearly not at all invested in having this particular world survive, and since she's a compulsive contrarian, even Loki outright ordering her to help is unlikely to produce positive results.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

True, but TDO hates Thor. A cleric of Loki and former ally has a better chance to get the conversation started.

25. - Top - End - #145

No. I'm implying the bard beside Hilgya is Durkon's cousin.

Or I could be wrong again. (If I had a quatloo for guessing wrong what comes next in this comic I'd have a lot of quatloos.)
    Why would Hilgya be mandated for something so important, that has also been explicitly tasked to one of the main characters?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That, folks, is what we in the business call headcanon...
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    The alternative is that she doesn't understand that battles are dangerous, which would make her dumber than Elan.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The alternative is that she doesn't understand that battles are dangerous, which would make her dumber than Elan.
    Her justification for taking Kudzu into battle is as follows: she had a bunch of abjurations on herself and on him. Also, if he died in battle, he'd die an "honorable" death.

Abjurations do not protect people from the end of the world. And the death being dishonorable is kind of the POINT for Hel here.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Her justification for taking Kudzu into battle is as follows: she had a bunch of abjurations on herself and on him. Also, if he died in battle, he'd die an "honorable" death.

Abjurations do not protect people from the end of the world. And the death being dishonorable is kind of the POINT for Hel here.
    Which would have been an excellent reason for her to bug out first thing after preparing her spells, or even before Durkon got resurrected if she had plane shift available. You will note that she did not do those things. As for Kudzu, not being in a battle at all is significantly safer than being in one covered in abjurations while strapped to a high priority target.

30. - Top - End - #150

Yes, it's "headcanon" that not taking a baby into active battle is more safe and shows more concern for their well-being than the alternative. Oh, wait, no it isn't, it's just basic logic.

Edit: And Hilgya herself never said anything along the facts of "if he dies, at least it's honorable". I think that's ascribing more awareness to her than she's due, but funnily enough also would make her look bad if she tried to use that justification. Just as it makes any one who tries to defend her look bad.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-07-15 at 09:08 PM.