The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 274
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    think what bothers me the most is that the characters themselves did not bother asking or giving information about HOW to find the ship.

    Where did it fly? Is it still in the area or did it go for a specific location?
    Is there only one ship that looks like that or am I looking for a license plate number?
    Is there a way to track it?

    Nope.
    Everyone just assumes it's still in the area and that somehow it will be found.
    Alright now your just being unfair.
    If the ship is searching for the wounded ink witch, then its hardly a surprise if its the only one around.
    And unlikely it will leave without her anytime soon.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Alright now your just being unfair.
    If the ship is searching for the wounded ink witch, then its hardly a surprise if its the only one around.
    And unlikely it will leave without her anytime soon.
    Sure, we figured out that that's probably the case, but how does Snout knows this?

    All he knows is that he saw that kind of ship at the same day, and it *might* be the same one she was talking about.

    A normal conversation should have been something like:
    - Find the ship
    - Hey, I just saw a ship like you drew in the morning! Where is it headed to?
    - It's looking for me, find a way to signal it.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Well.. if he has newer seen such a ship before.
    Then why is it such a hard conclusion to reach, that 1 stranger is likely looking for the other?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    First, don't forget that we as readers have an advantage, we've seen the ship twice, so it's easier to figure out it's looking for something.

    Second, the problem is the complete lack of questions even if he manages to figure out some of the stuff.

    Imagine a scene in a movie:
    A woman shouts "HELP! Find my baby!"
    The protagonists confidently says "Don't worry mam, I'll help"
    Then immediately heads outside, looking left and right staying in the exact same place.
    Time skip for 6 hours later, he enters back and says "Sorry, didn't find him, I'll try again tomorrow"

    This scene would work in a "dumb and dumber" style of movie, where the protagonist has good intentions but basically a moron.
    This is also what happened here (sure, he went back to the same place he saw the ship last time, but what made him think it will be there again? If anything, it's a place the ship already looked so it will NOT return there).
    Snout did not trace back the steps to find where the woman was hurt, he did not ask details about how to contact the ship, nothing about where and who wounded her.
    The flare thing is also dumb, how will the ship know the signal is meant for this purpose and not some random thing that constantly happens in the wild zone?

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Update

    For effing sake, JUST ASK HER HOW TO CONTACT THE SHIP!
    Maybe add that she doesn't have the strength to give a full answer.
    Maybe her answer will be too technical or complex for him ("just use a standard tericular double range radio, and use the 136 frequency, and then...")
    Maybe she doesn't know herself.
    But at least show that you have the brains to ask before spending two days in the land of coincidences.

    Speaking of which, the wild zone thing is getting tiring, and we just started.
    In shows like Dirk Gently, the amazing coincidences were part of the story and the mystery.
    Here, it's just an excuse to use the same writing style he uses anyway.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Its just an easy excuse for a month of slapstick comics I guess.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Birdy no!

    That poor helpful avian, all they wanted was giving the weird walking, talking- well, not talking) vegetable a ride and what do they get for their trouble?

    They get run over by Darth Vader's new ride.
    Life just isn't fair I guess.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Malphegor's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Huh. I used to read DD all the time. I didn't particularly enjoy it and mostly read it because I had a PSP with a web browser and it updated regularly enough to have it bookmarked.

    A sequel.... with hopefully none of the more annoying or poorly written characters... and with the art updated some...

    I'm not exactly looking forward to reading this later today, but I'll give it a go.

    Hopefully he's got less rape (or at least less poorly written story arcs that focus on rape that do not treat it with the seriousness and tact required) in this one.
    never piss off people for who one of their main hobbies involves aggressive and thorough note-taking.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Hopefully he's got less rape (or at least less poorly written story arcs that focus on rape that do not treat it with the seriousness and tact required) in this one.
    This topic is SO yesterday, we're into slavery now!
    (on the other comic, but same writer, so...)

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    This topic is SO yesterday, we're into slavery now!
    (on the other comic, but same writer, so...)
    Depending on how long it goes before the rescue it could easily be both! Anybody got a screenshot of burkes hand clenching into a fist we can use?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Update

    How convenient that even the ship talks in ink messages.
    Would have been weird if the ship tried to communicate vocally and would get o response.

    Hurray for the innovation of using a deaf person as the main protagonist, only to twist the entire world around him to avoid the potential problems.
    Next comic will probably star a blind person in a world of constant darkness.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Update

    Phew. It's a good thing all the other characters are instinctively aware that Snout is deaf (even when he's not currently wearing his armband) or there might actually have been some tension to resolve here.

    EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd
    Last edited by Kwatsu; 2019-08-19 at 05:32 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    You know, Snout has no idea that this ship is even trustworthy. Sure, the witch asked him to find it, but for all he knows, she just wants revenge on the one who hurt her or wants to track her enemy's location or any other non-friendly reason. Heck, he also doesn't know if the witch is trustworthy, either. This whole thing is just a mess of contrivances.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

    How convenient that even the ship talks in ink messages.
    Would have been weird if the ship tried to communicate vocally and would get o response.

    Hurray for the innovation of using a deaf person as the main protagonist, only to twist the entire world around him to avoid the potential problems.
    Next comic will probably star a blind person in a world of constant darkness.
    How do you know it didnt try that first? We dont get sound effects after all, so we wouldnt hear the ship saying as its all done from snouts perspective. Something that might almost be interesting is, after this story ends, we get it again, this time from the perspective of someone who can hear so we get to see all the misunderstandings from missed verbal cues and such and what actually happened.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    How do you know it didnt try that first? We dont get sound effects after all, so we wouldnt hear the ship saying as its all done from snouts perspective. Something that might almost be interesting is, after this story ends, we get it again, this time from the perspective of someone who can hear so we get to see all the misunderstandings from missed verbal cues and such and what actually happened.
    First of all, because Mookie is anything except subtle. When he wanted to show that the ship passed right above Snout and he missed it, that what was shown.
    There are no extra panels to show time passing, and you can still have visual symbols since deaf people can feel the vibrations even if not translate the sound itself.
    Not to mention that the first thought after not getting a reaction is that he doesn't understand the language.

    Second, it seems like the ink thing is shared by the witch and the ship, and as weird as it looks, it seems more like a default option for communication for both the ship and the witch.
    Ink splatters in shape of words is not something you improvise.
    I thought at first that the witch used ink (back then I thought it was blood) since she was exhausted and couldn't talk, now I'm not so sure anymore.

    Edit: The ship even refers to her specifically as "ink witch".
    As if it already knows that they not only met, but that she showed him her magic.
    Would this be assumed if it wasn't some sort of a default for them?
    Last edited by random11; 2019-08-19 at 10:51 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    First of all, because Mookie is anything except subtle. When he wanted to show that the ship passed right above Snout and he missed it, that what was shown.
    There are no extra panels to show time passing, and you can still have visual symbols since deaf people can feel the vibrations even if not translate the sound itself.
    Not to mention that the first thought after not getting a reaction is that he doesn't understand the language.

    Second, it seems like the ink thing is shared by the witch and the ship, and as weird as it looks, it seems more like a default option for communication for both the ship and the witch.
    Ink splatters in shape of words is not something you improvise.
    I thought at first that the witch used ink (back then I thought it was blood) since she was exhausted and couldn't talk, now I'm not so sure anymore.

    Edit: The ship even refers to her specifically as "ink witch".
    As if it already knows that they not only met, but that she showed him her magic.
    Would this be assumed if it wasn't some sort of a default for them?
    She tried to speak to snout first. We see a closeup of her lips as she tries to say something, he tells her he is deaf and she uses ink to communicate. Is it so hard to think the ship, whoever or whatever it is, would do the same? It tries to talk to him over its loudspeaker or whatever, gets not even a twitch of reaction since he cant hear it, then tries communicating with its own writing. The august 16th comic could easily be the one where the ship tried verbal communication. It was just hovering there in front of him doing nothing so far as snout could tell. *EDIT* As for assuming he knows who the ink witch is, maybe it detected her power/blood/scent/whatever on him due to him taking care of her. Maybe snout is the first intelligent life form it has found and just assumed. Maybe its just plot convenience and the ship is asking him where the witch is just like she wanted him to go find the ship.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-08-19 at 11:00 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SaintRidley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The land of corn

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Ink witch. Ink ship. Ink Snout. Ink ocean. Ink rain. Ink fish.

    Let's just get to the point where everything is ink already and we wind up with everyone having ink speech bubbles regardless of their ability to hear or speak.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Update

    Nothing much to comment here.
    Waiting for the inevitable twist like "the energy blast actually healed her"

    Because if it IS the case where the ship was hunting the witch and she requested help to find it, it's her freaking fault.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Update

    Nothing much to comment here.
    Waiting for the inevitable twist like "the energy blast actually healed her"

    Because if it IS the case where the ship was hunting the witch and she requested help to find it, it's her freaking fault.
    Oh, I don't doubt for a second that Mookie will pull that tired, old cliché. It is still really dumb, though. What kind of a healing ray blows up a house? Even putting aside the question of how that's physically possible, why would you ever design it like that?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I noticed in this comic

    http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/august-14-2019/

    The tips of the ship point down in one panel, and up in another. And the ship the witch wanted him to find doesn't have any tips at all.

    I realize this is just bad Mookie art, but until it's proven I will assume there is a whole fleet of slightly differently shaped ships flying around. It explains why we see them zipping back and forth in the sky all the time. Only one of them is friendly to the witch, the rest want to kill her.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I noticed in this comic

    http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/august-14-2019/

    The tips of the ship point down in one panel, and up in another. And the ship the witch wanted him to find doesn't have any tips at all.

    I realize this is just bad Mookie art, but until it's proven I will assume there is a whole fleet of slightly differently shaped ships flying around. It explains why we see them zipping back and forth in the sky all the time. Only one of them is friendly to the witch, the rest want to kill her.
    Actually the tips point neither up or down - they point backward. Mookie cannot retain the shape idealy, but this detail at least was preserved from panel to panel.
    Last edited by Radar; 2019-08-22 at 11:00 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    It's a tractor beam.
    That dissolves clothes and causes massive explosions at its end-point...

    Who the hell designed that thing?
    Because I can't think of any good reason for those features.
    Are those slavers?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

    Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")



  24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    It's a tractor beam.
    That dissolves clothes and causes massive explosions at its end-point...

    Who the hell designed that thing?
    Because I can't think of any good reason for those features.
    Are those slavers?
    Hmm... I am currently thinking the ink witch clothes are made of ink and the tractor beam is draining the ink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    I think the intention was that it first blew up the house and then used the tractor beam because the ship does not have any way to enter and is too rude to wait a couple of minutes.
    I wouldn't worry about the house too much, there is probably a tree that grows houses if you plant the seed and water it.

    As for the cloths, since she is an ink witch, EVERYTHING has to be ink related, including her cloths.
    Can you imagine what would happen if she was a banana witch, or a fish witch?

    Or might even be that the witch itself is just a construct made out of ink, who knows.
    Last edited by random11; 2019-08-25 at 09:13 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Mookie did say that there would have been nekkid wimmin, I wonder if that's where this is going.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    A thought just occurred to me: what if there are witches of other materials? Like, rock witches and water witches and lightning witches. And what if this is all building up to Mookie introducing a sand witch?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    So.. turns out it wasnt a healing ray, like a lot of people though
    But as such i though it a fairly interesting twist that Snout assumingly found the wrong ship.
    Or potentially didnt. Can of course just be that the pilot is an ass, who dont want to risk catching whatever madness exists on the edge.

    As for the cloths, since she is an ink witch, EVERYTHING has to be ink related, including her cloths.
    Can you imagine what would happen if she was a banana witch, or a fish witch?
    Like its not logical for a "water" bender to always have a camuflaged source of her element close at hand?
    As well, then i dont think its unreasonable to assume that under perfect conditions the ink dress will always sit perfect.
    So as such, it does make sense for her to dress in something she can more or less controll at will.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Celestia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canterlot, Equestria
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    So.. turns out it wasnt a healing ray, like a lot of people though
    But as such i though it a fairly interesting twist that Snout assumingly found the wrong ship.
    Or potentially didnt. Can of course just be that the pilot is an ass, who dont want to risk catching whatever madness exists on the edge.



    Like its not logical for a "water" bender to always have a camuflaged source of her element close at hand?
    As well, then i dont think its unreasonable to assume that under perfect conditions the ink dress will always sit perfect.
    So as such, it does make sense for her to dress in something she can more or less controll at will.
    Yes it is. That's not how liquids work. It would take active magic to keep the dress like that. That's why Katara carries around a water skin instead of a dress made of water.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

    Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground
     
    lord_khaine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

    Yes it is. That's not how liquids work. It would take active magic to keep the dress like that. That's why Katara carries around a water skin instead of a dress made of water.
    Unfortunately, its not really relevant how liquids works.
    We already establised that the moment we are dealing with a fluid that writes by itself.

    That means the relevant bit is how the magic works.
    And the magic in DD had a lot of examples on spell effect that could be substained without effort.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •