New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Enchanting an already magic sword

My DM gave me a sword that morphs into the bladed weapon you desire the most (doesn't give proficiency) and it does 5 cold damage as well as 5 fire damage upon hitting. I was wondering if I would be able to enchant the weapon with a +1 enchantment at a normal price, because I know that stacking enchantments increases the cost of each enchantment (see +1 flaming longsword).
    Last edited by SpicyBoi_Nezu; 2019-07-15 at 06:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Enchanting an already magic sword

It might be hard to calculate with a custom weapon property: you may need to check with the DM and find out what the bonus equivalent is for the ability, or if its a flat price enhancement.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    It might be hard to calculate with a custom weapon property: you may need to check with the DM and find out what the bonus equivalent is for the ability, or if its a flat price enhancement.
    I believe, per the MIC, that common enhancements to items(I.e: All Enhancement bonuses to attack/armor/saves/abilities/skills) don't require calculating the multipliers for multiple bonuses. Anyway, you can look up the rules over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Enchanting an already magic sword

As the OP points out, enchanting a +1 equivalent weapon with a new +1 equivalent ability is going to be cheaper than enchanting a +2 equivalent weapon with a new +1 equivalent ability.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    As the OP points out, enchanting a +1 equivalent weapon with a new +1 equivalent ability is going to be cheaper than enchanting a +2 equivalent weapon with a new +1 equivalent ability.
    That's true.

That weapons seems to be some weird elemental version of Collision. Definitely homebrew, so you gotta check with your DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Honestly the fastest way to make a paladin fall is to cast the grease spell or to trip the paladin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Technically speaking, you can't have any magical properties on a weapon (or armor) without the item already possessing the basic +1 enhancement bonus that makes it magical to begin with. By RAW, that is always the first prerequisite.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyBoi_Nezu View Post
    My DM gave me a sword that morphs into the bladed weapon you desire the most (doesn't give proficiency) and it does 5 cold damage as well as 5 fire damage upon hitting. I was wondering if I would be able to enchant the weapon with a +1 enchantment at a normal price, because I know that stacking enchantments increases the cost of each enchantment (see +1 flaming longsword).
    When you say a +1 enchantment, do you mean a special ability? Or literally a +1 enhancement bonus? If it's the latter, it should already have that, because it can't be a magic weapon without first getting a +1 enhancement. If you mean adding a special ability, then it literally comes down to "ask your DM how much it will cost, because it's a homebrew item".
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.