The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default New Ganthar - fourth OOC thread

Fourth thread as requested.

It looks like Yara and Gunn are twiddling their thumbs waiting for Theo and Rosalind to arrive, so I'll keep it brief and try to facilitate that as much as possible.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New Ganthar - fourth OOC thread

Door's closing, watch your step now, next stop is the Shadow Plane!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quoting our plans from the previous thread for convenient reference:

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    Taken care of! Feel free to respond. Figured we could take advantage of a chance to set out from the get go with open communication of expectations.

Edit - also, can you list out which buffs you are going to pass sour ahead of time (Gunn too if that is an option). I am going to set my sheet up with them in mind and keep a record of what I changed.

Esorscher - I have a pair of Knight's Move prepared instead of seering light. Please set up Perseus for flanking as appropriate. I'll so throw around Mass Align weapon and we can get around chaotic and evil enemies. Since Rosalind has been countered with dispell magic, are you able to counter that counter?

Timble - I think you are going to be our primary range, so please keep power in reserve. I have teleport and dimension door prepared in my cleric domain slot and can cover that if we need a quick escape.

Team - I have find the path and locate object prepared. Who has what divination available for this mission? And since we are going after the power of Dalvar later in the same IC day, is there anything we should focus on preparing two of?
    Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Most of my buffs are Personal, but, here's what I'm planning and my reasoning on how to use it:

Before entering Portal:
    Fly on Gunn (17 minutes)
    Invisibility on Gunn (17 minutes)
    Displacement on Gunn (17 minutes)
    Displacement on Perseus (17 minutes)

Upon arrival in the Shadow Plane:
    Snowsong on Gunn (170 minutes) Shouldn't affect most of us, really just Gunn and anyone else within 30'; but since he's staying on the edge of combat it's unlikely Theo, Perseus, Lady Amalthea, et al. would benefit from the +1d6 cold damage or Fast Healing, etc.
    Inspire Courage +5 5d6 or +5 attack/ damage? I'm leaning toward the latter to ensure our attacks hit and considering the likelihood of resist energy, but the bonus damage has proven useful in the past.

Once Battle Commences:
    Haste on Party (17 rounds)
    Sirine's Grace on Gunn (17 rounds) +CHA to AC, among others

Regarding counterspell, Gunn can do it, but I'm hesitant to plan on it, since it requires Gunn to ready an action (which may not end up being used) and prevents him from doing other debuff/ crowd control things (Ray of Dizziness, Slow, Targeting Ray, Black Tentacles, etc.)

Also, Gunn has Dimension Door as well.

For Manny, he's got Keen Edge, which I'm planning to have him buff Perseus with. He could easily add it to Theo's weapon as well. It would last for 120 minutes, so he'd manifest it before we go through the portal. In combat, he'll be doing damage with things like Energy Ray, Energy Burst, Concussion Blast, Breath of the Black Dragon, etc.

EDIT: re: divination, Gunn has scrying, which I intend for him to use once y'all arrive at the office and give him some intel on what to scry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    Scrying is a perfect chance for you to develop an IC narrative!!

My weapon is already Keen. No need on that. I prepared a few backup buffs in case we come across dispelling enemies, but I'd prefer to save them for the second plane shift of the day (technically third, if you count the return trip).

Since we have a second dungeon run to deal with in the same day, we need to focus this being as much of an in-and-out mission as possible. We have two things where, if we lose, we lose for good. We need to deal with this demigod thing for Rosalind to redeem, and we have Dalvar's energy to protect. The altar is important but it isn't 100% necessary for us to succeed there. Other side missions need to have a good argument to not be a distraction.

I have multiple modes of flight and transportation, and a number of self buffs. Rosalind is as always a primary buff and healer, but @dantie, given all that there is at stake and the enemies we may face, is this a time that you can add to my direct combat abilities and prepare such spells?

No extra questions for Timble. Yara lights them up like Iron Man.

I have planar ally as a backup, but it is my last resort.

@DM we're on the 50th page, time for a new OOC thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    Im camping until Saturday and my list is set ( most cleric spells being self buff) but i do have undead bane weapon, chasing perfection, mass death ward, life ward, the spell that can insta heal a target of my choice if they were to die from hp lose thus not dying. Hide from undead, warding gems. Heroes feast, aid on everyone healed by rosalind. Mass shield of faith, mass conviction, divine protection. And i Believe a few others. This is top of my head.

I would advise to conserve ammo for second mission let rosalind start each encounter with a turn undead if possible to conserve everyone elses firepower. Rosalind only has two uses for her turn undead, and its to destroy them or heal people. And when she destroys it normally kills all moocks off letting you gocus on the bigger guns.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Here is rosalinds sheet, i am trying to keep up but wont post unless it is needed due to limited internet on my phone. Her sheet is up to date with prepared spells and such. She will use her long term buffs after the heroes feast at gunns office is over.

5. - Top - End - #5

Scrying targets a person, as far as I know, so we need to figure out who to scry for. Here are my thoughts:

Dargun -- would be worthwhile even if he isn't in the Temple of Maltur (or is it Vlarath) on the Shadow Plane
    Melchizar -- unlikely to work, guessing his divine prison is protected from scrying
    Brother Obren -- might work, but can you scry on a dead person's soul? or would it scry on his corpse? (Spellcraft: (1d20+14)[15], Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+15)[24])

Other ideas?

High Priest of Vlarath -- we don't know who that is (Knowledge Local (1d20+15)[16]/ Gather Information (1d20+13)[20])
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

In theory we could scry on his prison as it was meant to be found i doubt it would be protected. But the job is the altar being destroyed. Rosalind side quest is him.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Scrying targets a person, as far as I know, so we need to figure out who to scry for. Here are my thoughts:

Dargun -- would be worthwhile even if he isn't in the Temple of Maltur (or is it Vlarath) on the Shadow Plane
    Melchizar -- unlikely to work, guessing his divine prison is protected from scrying
    Brother Obren -- might work, but can you scry on a dead person's soul? or would it scry on his corpse? (Spellcraft: [roll0], Knowledge Arcana: [roll1])

Other ideas?

High Priest of Vlarath -- we don't know who that is (Knowledge Local [roll2]/ Gather Information [roll3])
    No clear answer by RAW, so I'll say that if you know to specify when casting the spell you can target a soul instead of the corpse.

You haven't been able to identify the High Priest of Vlarath.

8. - Top - End - #8

Edited my IC post to scry for Brother Obren's Soul.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Just got home today a day early so all tomorrow i will be catching up.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Listen DC 15 (1d20+7)[22] oh this is going to be fun

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

Spoiler: Ebon Eyes
    Show
    160 minutes, I can now see in Natural and Magical darkness

Spoiler: (Party) Hide from Undead
    Show
    Undead cannot see, hear, or smell the warded creatures. Even extraordinary or supernatural sensory capabilities, such as blindsense, blindsight, scent, and tremorsense, cannot detect or locate warded creatures. Nonintelligent undead creatures are automatically affected and act as though the warded creatures are not there. Intelligent undead get a Will Save DC 22 to see warded creatures

Spoiler: (Self) Entropic Shield (Once we get to the temple of Maya)
    Show
    16 mins 20% Miss chance for all ranged attacks against Rosalind (including Rays)

Spoiler: (Self) Luminous Armor
    Show
    16 hours, Acts as a Daylight spell and counters darkness spells of 2nd level and lower (if this interacts with Rosalind's Radiance ability that's a lot of light and would make it 4th level darkness spells) -4 to attacks against her.

Spoiler: (On Theo) Shield Other
    Show
    16 hours or until she lets it slip away, +1 deflection bonus to AC and +1 Resistance bonus to saves, Rosalind takes half of the hit point damage Theo takes and he only takes half as well meaning our meat sheild lasts longer : )

Spoiler: (Party) (At temple of Maya before departing) Divine Protection
    Show
    16 mins, +1 Morale bonus to AC and Saves

Rosalind will use Augury on the way to see a little into the future and see what the results of just them going is
    Spoiler: (Up for Grabs, though Rosalind will happily keep it if no one needs it) Magic Vestment
    Show
    16 hours, +4 Enhancement bonus to Armor or shield which at this level no doubt Theo and Perseus are close to if not already have

Spoiler: (Party) Mass Conviction
    Show
    160 minutes, +4 Morale bonus on saving throws

Spoiler: (Self) Celestial Aspect
    Show
    Okay we have 1 of two options here Rosalind gets the eyes for a free action 2d6 fire damage each turn on 1 creature or Horns which if she hits a creature summoned or called is instantly dismissed. Rosalind has a +18 to hit before bonuses so she has a good chance of hitting most summons
    Spoiler: (Party) Mass Shield of faith
    Show
    16 mins, +4 Deflection Bonus to AC

Spoiler: (Up for grabs though I recommend Theo as he has the eternal knights fight)Undead Bane Weapon
    Show
    16 hours Against undead the weapons enhancement bonus is considered 2 higher and it deals an extra 2d6 points of damage

Spoiler: (Theo) Life's Grace
    Show
    16 mins, immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, any negative energy effects, undead special attacks that deal ability damage, ability drain, and magical disease, even if these attacks do not have a magical source. And his armor is treated as ghost touch

Spoiler: Gems of warding
    Show
    16 hours 5 gems, Free action gain 20hp and +40 temp hp, cure Dazed, Exhausted, Fatigued, Sickened, and Stunned condition
    Spoiler: (Self) Darts of Life
    Show
    16 mins, 10 darts created can launch 1 a round as a free action, 3 as a standard or all remaining as a full round action, heal 1d8+10 +42temp hp cures dazed, exhausted, fatigued, sickened, and stunned

Spoiler: (Up for grabs) Chasing Perfection
    Show
    16 mins +4 enhacement to all ability scores. At the moment it would boost Rosalind Str (she really doesn't use for anything besides damage), Dex (+2 AC), and Int (not important in this case) so if anyone wants it claim it

Spoiler: (Nomrally Theo, but he does have shield other so doubt it would help) Fortunate Fate
    Show
    If someone were to die due to hp damage they instantly get a heal spell smacked on them saving them from dying (and as that spell is cast by Rosalind yeah your back to full. I would normally suggest Theo as it is an obvious choice, however with Shield other in place, Warding Gems, Darts of life, and his DR pool someone getting through his HP would be surpprising. Perhaps Gunn or Yara?)
    Spoiler: (Party) Mass Death Ward
    Show
    16 minutes, immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-07-20 at 07:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would metamagic rods also function for psionics? Since other magic items can function like psionic ones, such as pearls of power, I think that they should. But this is something that needs checking.
    Also, its kinda funny how the Lens functions like 1/3rd of a metamagic maximise rod, though it also grants the feat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I'm going to say yes, a psion can benefit from a metamagic rod as long as there is an equivalent psionic feat.

I can't recall how the Lens works to be honest, wasn't it granting the Maximise feat plus a limited number of free Maximised powers each day? It was intended to be a unique artefact but not necessarily a high-powered one. The Tome, on the other hand...!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I edited in pre battle buffs for everyone in my previous post if everyone wants to update/claim floating spells

At the moment with Lumoinous Armor making opponents suffer a -4 to attacks they need to roll a 34 or higher basically to hit her 38 if no one grabs Magic Vestment
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-07-20 at 09:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

The lens gives the feat and 1 free use of maximise. I recently looked over the section where I got it.
    And I want the Tome, but Gunn won't give Yara unlimited power .
    I'm not asking for the lense to get much better. Free maximise is great (I think I used it precisely once). But for 14000 GP I get 3 times its benefit for most of the powers that matter/deal damage.

For the remaining Rosalind powers, Yara can take the AC boost if no one else wants it. She still has her +1 heartening shield. While useful back at the beginning, 5 temp hp isn't going to save much.

15. - Top - End - #15

I would like Gunn to take fortunate fate please.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So out of curiosity, what does everyone think of this? Its the undisputed ruler of one of the kingdoms in my Homebrew world in which he rules in a ruined castle that sunk into the swamp long ago with his medusa queen. I'm thinking of making him blind (thus getting rid of the question of how did he not get turned to stone yet).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Listen - (1d20+4)[10]
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Okay so Yara is taking Magic Vestment, chasing perfection
    Gunn is taking Fortunate Fate

That leaves undead bane weapon
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-07-20 at 11:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Yara can use Chasing Perfection.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Above list is updated Timble, keep in mind enhancement bonus, though it is +4 which is nice. Not sure if you have any stat boosting items.

So is Perseus or Theo taking Undead Bane weapon on their weapon?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Well if it is only present company, who would better use it between Theo and Perseus? Since Perseus uses full attacks more, I say it goes on him.

Before we go through the portal, I cast Mass Align Weapon for us.

This Morning IC I cast Greater Resistance.

Before we leave, Gunn sends word with Theo's mark to Ember at the HQ of the Knights. It explains the details that Lothrain needs to know to act to secure the Mountain of bones.

If Vaust is at the shadow plane, then I think the Mountain of Bones becomes the second target due to the potential skullduggery of Nathalia, then Dalvar's divinity. Unless we think it wise to split up (send Natalia to Dalvar with Gunn, Perseus, and Yara; Theo and Rosalind go to the Mountain of Bones.

Can Rosalind keep Vaust chained, and does anyone have access to dimensional anchor? He's a prisoner I would take alive to interrogate.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

So long as he cant teleport i can lock him down. If he can teleport i could also try a stunning fist on him

Edit okay so everyone has their spells on their characters correct? Perseus gets Undead bane weapon added to his axe for an extra +2 to attacks vs undead and an extra 2d6+2 to damage vs undead. That makes all of my buffs spent that are long duration.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-07-21 at 11:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I edit my spells to prepare dimensional anchor. Does Gunn have a debuff to start a round? I imagine a situation where Gunn smacks Vaust with something to hurt whatever his defenses are, I hit him with dimensional anchor, Rosalind puts him in chains, Yara blows a lot of other people up while Perseus engages the crowd. Rosalind locks down Vaust for later interrogation while the rest of us take care of whatever else there is.

EDIT - Dantie, do you have magic circles against (x) prepared?? If so, I can change mine to dispel magic
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-07-21 at 02:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Getting back to my computer, reading everything I missed.

Here are the spells I believe my characters have active when we go through the portal. Let me know if I missed anything

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show

From Rosalind:
    Heroes' Feast (+13 Temp HP)
    Hide from Undead (Will DC 22)
    Divine Protection (+1 Morale AC, Saves; 16 minutes)
    Mass Conviction (+4 Morale Saves; 160 minutes)
    Mass Shield of Faith (+4 Deflection AC; 16 minutes)
    Gem of Warding (+20 HP, +40 Temp HP, cure conditions, as free)
    Mass Death Ward (Immune to Death effects, 16 minutes)

Pre-Portal:
    Fly (17 minutes)
    Displacement (17 minutes)
    Invisibility (17 minutes)
    Haste (17 rounds)

Spoiler: Perseus
    Show

From Rosalind:
    Undead Bane (+2 attacks, damage, +2d6 damage; versus Undead)

Pre-portal
    Displacement (17 minutes)
    Haste (17 rounds)

Spoiler: Manny
    Show

From Rosalind:
    Gem of Warding (+20 HP, +40 Temp HP, cure conditions, as free)?

Regarding debuffs, I have a few options for Vaust:

1) Ray of Dizziness: ranged touch, no save, limit to single actions only.
    2) Dispel Magic/ Greater Dispel Magic (limited to two castings)
    3) Dominate (Will DC 30)

I also have two scrolls of Slow for general debuffing. Manny Fester has Dimensional Anchor, and Trace Teleport, for keeping Vaust from escaping. He could take the extra gem of warding, if we haven't already figured out someone to take that. @illinares, can I get an idea of what kind of gear/ equipment he had when he was a soldier for Feronax? Or can I outfit him using NPC wealth by level?
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-07-21 at 04:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Fortunate fate is also on gunn, the keep you alive spell even if you die.

26. - Top - End - #26

Awesome, thanks. Also, I have Dismissal for dealing with summons.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spell resistance and will save vs dismissal is risky

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone will have a Good Aligned Weapon for 12 minutes, as I have three castings of Mass Aligned Weapon per day from my sword.

Buffs from Rosalind:

Buffs from Theo - Greater Resistance, +3 resistance bonus to saves (24 h)

Upon arrival, should I look for a spot to cast Locate Object, or Find the Path?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Theo's missing Shield other (Rosalind is taking half his damage) and Life's Grace (Death ward but better).

Tough question I want to say given we know roughly where we are going Locate object will be better long term as if we destroy the wrong altar it won't be very helpful

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

[Spoiler=Listen DC 15]In fact, as you listen, you manage to resolve the voice into two distinct speakers, one of whom is known to you: Vaust, Natalia's devil-blooded martial champion]

Timble i think you may have missed the part where it said two different speakers.